• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 6.5??

rather-b-huntin

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2012
winfield, wv usa
After paying taxes and budgeting for vacation and a western hunt this year, I've got a little bit of money (and by little I mean a couple grand for rifle and glass) and I want to try something in 6.5.

Based on current financials, I'm looking strongly at the Savage Long Range Hunter. They come in 6.5x284, 6.5 Creedmore, and .260. Based on cost of gun, I should have about $1,200 for glass.

I've no previous experience with any of these 6.5's. I'm going to have to buy brass, bullets, and dies either way it goes. Most of what I'll be doing with it is punching paper and steel out to about 600, and occasionally taking a poke at deer and antelope out to around 400.

Which one should I go with??

260 or 6.5 creedmoore. I don't have any experience with the creedmoore, but I shoot both the 6.5x284 and the 260 in our local 1000yrd matches and both have performed well, but the barrel life on the 260 is better than the 6.5x284. The 6.5x284 shoots flatter at 1000yrds, but for 600 yrds the 260 would be great.

Off shelf match quality ammo, CM will be cheapest
Reloading is reloading
The CM case is much better design than that of the 260
Performance wise they will do pert much same
If your max range is 600yds i suggest chopping barrel back to 20" or so, no need for a long barrel on a mid range rig
6.5 Creedmore would be my choice

After years of "soul searching" and telling myself just how much I love the 6.5CM I will have to honestly say they are a toss up in performance. That said, I do give the factory ammo accuracy edge to 6.5CM. The factory ammo from Hornady is just phenomenal. Their Match ammo for 6.5CM may actually be better overall than Federal Gold Medal.
Now, as for killing stuff, I have only done so with the 6.5x284. The 8 point buck went down without taking a step and internal damage was amazing (used Hornady SST).

Just a thought, but you could go with the CM and try out the hornady match ammo... save on the reloading supplies, keep the brass, and if you like it buy some dies. If not, sell the whole thing and you don't have dies to get rid of or anything like that. Plus it gives you a little more to play with on accessories like a bipod or a bit more on the budget for the glass.

260, better brass availability, better barrel life, and has all the power you"ll need to do what you want.

I have a 260 and another about to come out of the lathe. Also have a 6.5x47L, it is almost a heads up game on ballistics. The Cm has factory ammo. Zack Smith has a great article about these chamberings. I would do a search on google under "demigod 6.5". The 260 has the most choices for brass. They all seem to be very accurate with good to great velocity.

Would anyone throw 6.5x47 Lapua in the mix for recommendation?

Why? It has smaller case capacity, and you need hotter loads to produce the same performance as the .260 or 6.5 Creed. All three are virtually indistinguishable in terms of performance, but the Lapua would have shorter barrel life if pushed to deliver the same performance.

To the OP, read the article referenced in #11 above...

Comes down to preference. The difference between 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Rem is a wash. FYI Nosler is coming out with 6.5 Creemoor brass.

6.5x55 would be my pick but you didn't list it. You can outrun a .260 with em in a long action.

L

edt: And Lapua brass is cheap.

Last edited:
I have both the 260 and the Creedmoor and they perform the same. If you reload then the brass choices are the same for both as you can make 6.5 Creed out of anything 308 based same goes for the 260. I make both out of 308 range pick ups.

"Love the one you are with"

+1

I had a 260 for deer hunting so when I built a precision rig I went with a 260. But if I were starting fresh on a new 6.5, I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor for a two primary reasons:

Brass availability & value (price and quality)
Factory match ammo availability and price

If you're willing to go long action take a look at the 6.5 Swede or one of it's variants. Lapua makes brass for it and it's one of the most efficient cartridges out there.

I have both the 260 and the Creedmoor and they perform the same. If you reload then the brass choices are the same for both as you can make 6.5 Creed out of anything 308 based same goes for the 260. I make both out of 308 range pick ups.

It bears mention that 308-->6.5CM is a time consuming, somewhat involved process.

If you're willing to go long action take a look at the 6.5 Swede or one of it's variants. Lapua makes brass for it and it's one of the most efficient cartridges out there.

Really want to try the Savage LRH, and its not chambered in the Swede. But I agree, it is a dandy!

I just went through the same decision process and bought the Savage model 12 in 6.5 creedmoor. I was sold on the extra barrel life and factory match ammo. Of course you will have to wait for the ammo due to current events. My back order is estimated at a month long.

What glass are you planning to get? Make sure to get matching turrets and reticle, eg. mil/mil or moa/moa and don't jump at getting the highest magnification scope possible. I made this mistake and returned my $1000 25 power scope because I was zooming in on foggy images. Quality over quantity.