• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing which action to use?

kymauser

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Dixie
Looking to build a custom 338 lapua, on a Mauser style action with control round feed. I've narrowed it down to the cz safari magnum receiver. But is there a difference in spec on the two different 375 magnum action vs the 416 rigby action? Are they different length or does one just have more metal removed?

The 416 Rigby is the parent cartridge for the 338 Lapua, and matches the case head diameter ( .583"). If you buy a 375 action, you'll have to open up the bolt face for the extra diameter. I think you'll have less issues starting with the 416, and there are plenty of accessories like triggers etc for the CZ.

Have you thought about a Stiller TAC 338, or is the controlled round feed that important? A little more info about what you wish to do with the rifle, will likely result in more info being shared, as well as finishing out your profile.

As self appointed " Captain Obvious", there is very little that you can do with a 338 Lapua, that a 375 H&H doesn't do as well or better, including shooting steel a long way off.

Thanks for the reply! Control feed is important to me and I'm looking at a long range precision shooter on a Mauser style action.

Also, how do I change my profile pic??

Controlled round feed? Are you using a Lapua for long range or an up close dangerous game rifle. If close range I would just get the CZ in 416 and enjoy. If for Long range I would buy a Stiller Tac338 in a single shot or repeater if you must and have a much nicer build. A used CZ will set you back as much or more than the Stiller.

Ok, here's a little more info on the project. I'm setting out to accomplish building a custom long range precision rifle. But, it must be control round fed. I'm trying to prove control round Mauser types can be quite accurate at long distance.

If you are going to be a purist, you might as well start with my pre war Rigby 416 action. It will work like a charm.
Seriously, everyone knows that CF rifles can shoot well. But, not as often, or inexpensively as a Rem type action. If it was just as good or better, the BR and F class shooters would be using them. They quit about 50 years ago.

I am a fan of CRF and have dozens of them. But, they have their place and LR is not the top of the list.

RTH1800 - can you post a picture of that prewar 416 - that is cool stuff!

Here is a prewar 9.3x62 - still hunting every day in Africa.

OP - sorry for the sidetrack - old stuff is still cool around here.

If you are going to be a purist, you might as well start with my pre war Rigby 416 action. It will work like a charm.
Seriously, everyone knows that CF rifles can shoot well. But, not as often, or inexpensively as a Rem type action. If it was just as good or better, the BR and F class shooters would be using them. They quit about 50 years ago.

I am a fan of CRF and have dozens of them. But, they have their place and LR is not the top of the list.

You trynna get rid of it to me? :)

MRBO,
What I intended to convey is that getting the accuracy out of a CRF rifle is not as much of an understood, exact science as a Rem pattern action in my experience. I have some great ones, but occasionally get a turkey. Even when rebarreled, some still just do not measure up.

I can email the pics if someone wants to post them. It is an action. Got it full of holes and now have it fixed and ready to build. Single square bridge Mag action. Rigby marked.

There are a couple well regarded smiths making hunting rifles here in TX, that charge extra for Model 70's, with CRF, and prefer not to warranty accuracy, takes more work time and development, results are not guaranteed.

I like them, but it is easier to follow the recipe on the 700's and their descendants.

The Granite Mountain is a good action, but if you are really wanting some special, check out the Prechtl actions. Level of finish is sweet!
Edit - added pic of rth1800 Rigby Mauser:

COOL STUFF!

Last edited: