• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which Action

FequalsMA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Schenectady, N.Y.
Ok, I have done alot of searching and am still undecided on which action to go with. I am looking at the Surgeon 591 or the Bighorn short action. This rifle will be a light weight, all-purose repeater that will most likely be thrown around a bit. They each have alot going for them.

Anyone have both and prefer one over the other?

Re: Which Action

If your looking for light weight Surgeon would not be my first choice. If I wanted light weight, Id be looking at the Stiller Predator, and Tac30 Actions.

Surgeon is outstanding, dont have any experience with the Big Horns.

Hit up "Bugholes" here on the Hide. Greg is the owner of Southern Precision Rifles. He'll get you hooked up with a Stiller for a great price, a barrel, and put it all together for you as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">trued 700 is hard to beat on a hunting rifle....</div></div>

yep, a trued Rem 700 for a hunting rifle is like a sore pecker.....hard to beat
grin.gif

I cant comment on a bighorn or a surgeon but the stiller actions are just as good and easier on the wallet. About 3 weeks ago I wanted a 300 WSM and two weeks later I had the gun done by buying parts from bugholes.

I can't tell you which one either. As I am going through the same debate on those 2 in my head for my build.

I'm new here but just ordered a 591. I too wanted an all around and tough action. The integrated rail and recoil lug won me over. Can't get any more solid than that. Weight was not a concern for me as most of my shooting will be prone or on a bench.

Go custom. I would go with the Surgeon 591. Integrated base and lug! By the time you buy a 700 action and true it up, get scope base and you recoil lug you can almost by a custom action

I went with a 591 and I'm extremely happy. Mated it to a Brux barrel I received from "bugholes" and the gun is by far the most accurate gun I have ever shot. I really like the Surgeon's integral rail/lug. All the rifles built on Surgeon action I have seen have all been extremely accurate shooters.

Thanks for the input. I know I cant go wrong with either but I still have to decide. I like the Surgeon's integrated rail/lug and one piece bolt. I also like Big Horn's floating bolt and the fact its stainless steel. Looks like I'm going to have to make my own and combine all those features into one action. Time to start filling out some paper work.

Finished my 591 build last month and have only shot about 20 rounds through it and about 100 dry fires. I cannot say enough about the action. It was easy to build. I like knowing the bolt handle will not break off and that the rail will not come loose. The 591 also has about .25 inches more thread area and the action wrench is very cool. It has a smooth and positive feel when working the bolt. I do not think it is much heavier than any other action as it includes the rail and recoil lug. Any difference in weight is more than worth it.

I would go with the Bighorn. I have three guns with that action. Gap 7wsm,7saumAI,243Ai. It is one sweet action.I am also doing three more 7wsm's with Bighorns new Sporter action. This should help if you are worried about the weight. AJ does such a good job with machining on this things. I think the floating bolt head is what put this over the top. I have shot the Surgeon actions. When it comes down to it. All other action are the same. How often do you here. My gun would shoot better but the recoil lung and scope bases keep coming loose.

243AI
M1590001.jpg

Gap 7wsm
M1570001.jpg

7saumAI
M1440014.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My gun would shoot better but the recoil lung and scope bases keep coming loose.
243AI
M1590001.jpg

Gap 7wsm
M1570001.jpg

7saumAI
M1440014.jpg
</div></div>

Holy shit! And you still recommend the Bighorn?
shocked.gif

Papagallos
Did you actually read what Skyking said?
"How often do you hear. My gun would shoot better but the recoil lug and scope bases keep coming loose."
You did a good job of taking the quote out of context and making it mean what you wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ Goddard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Papagallos
Did you actually read what Skyking said?
"How often do you hear. My gun would shoot better but the recoil lug and scope bases keep coming loose."
I just love the way words can be twisted to say what ever a person wants. </div></div>

I did. Did you? You misquoted him. He stated "Here," not hear. I guess that's what threw me off and he maybe meant to state something further but forgot to do so.

Who's twisting words? You? You basically twisted his quote, brother, not me. You went as far as correcting "lung" to lug.

I've had a 591 (several) and this is my first Bighorn. So far I really like it. If I had to choose just one, I'd still choose the Bighorn.

a5001.jpg

I've got both and have never had a problem from either one. With that said, I just like something about the Surgeon a little bit better. I don't think you will go wrong with either one. To me, they are the best 2 tactical actions out there.

Thanks guys for all the feedback on my blonde vs brunette question. I'll be sure to post pics when this project concludes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for all the feedback on my blonde vs brunette question. I'll be sure to post pics when this project concludes. </div></div>
I think you need to throw a red head in too, Defiance actions are very nice. I am having a new 260 built by Short Action Customs, I had the choice of the Surgeon etc, but after seeing them and working the actions, I went with SAC's Defiance Action. It does not have an integral lug but it is very well built and smooth as butter. Just my .02. Cant go wrong with either.

Pretty funny, but I just got banned at WarriorTalk for pointing out that the Surgeon was far and away better that the Remington 700. Someone asked about their TSD Combat Systems group making a rifle and Gabe said they would use "No arguments, the best" action, the Remington 700.

Really? The BEST?

I just read it, and Cory was spot on. Experience wins every time.

On topic, I've both actions, and they are very awesome. AJ might be the nicest guy in the business, backing up a very well designed action...

Maverick, apparently some people don't take well to being wrong.

I've not used the Bighorn action, but it seems well thought out. In a tactical rifle the Surgeon has a couple features that would lead me to choose it first, but a multi caliber or single shot system, or need for a different rail slope could lead to the Bighorn.

I dont think you can go wrong with either, personally I have no experience with the Bighorn, but have heard nothing but good things. I have a Defiance .223 and a Surgeon .260 and I cannot pick which I like better!

My next build will be a Bighorn, I like the fact that they are here in CO with me. I like the floating bolt too.

Tough decision! I opted for the Big Horn - impressed with the floating bolt head and my hunting rifle was set up to accept single stack 788 magazines... The gun feeds flawlessly!