• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which AR Type 22's to Consider

MtGoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
Middleton, Idaho
One of my co-workers father-in-law really likes my 22 dedicated conversion upper but has no AR so is looking to purchase a lower cost option. He is looking hard at the Mosberg and was looking at the Colt (after all anything with Colt on it must be good). I set him straight that it was a Umex not a Colt.
I suggested a S&W. What other options are out there (short of taking a 10-22 and swapping all the pieces and parts) at a reasonable price?
How about magazine availability? Does it have to be an AR to used Black Dog magazines?
I really recommend the Black Dog product as they seem to be like a Timex...takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

Thanks
Pat

Re: Which AR Type 22's to Consider

i shot an S&W MP22 for the first time saturday. it felt cheap.

it was accurate (out to 50y) and functioned fine, but it didn't feel like an AR.

that might not matter to the guy, but i'd make the arguement "you're going to want a real AR after a while so you might as well get a dedicated upper on an AR lower."

I've had someone tell me that the sig 522 takes the blackdog mags. I'm not 100% but I don't think the S&W does.

I like the smith. We've had some functionability problems with the umarex stuff but I really think that most of is is user error. IMHO get te smith and run it till it breaks.

The S&W does NOT take BDM mags. They are proprietary to S&W. I have a few buddies with S&W's and they really like them as they can be modded just like a normal AR. As for the SIG522, they DO take BDM's. When I shot one, the "SCALE" was off, and it felt like it was 3/4 size of the orginal.

The "Colt" (and the "HK", for well) is dog shit.

The S&W M&P 15/22 runs well, but is LIGHT.

CMMG's Quebec ($499) or Quebec-A ($549)(plastic vs milspec buffer tube) are the deal, real parts, and Milspec changes, etc.

They use BDM or CMMG mags.

The Nordic is said to be a good UPPER, but will need a lower.

Ditto, the TacSol. Mags used BDM/CMMG

The Sig 522 runs great, though, it isn't an AR. Uses BDM/CMMG mags.

I might be wrong but isnt the MP a polymer rifle. I am alright with polymers. Although I wouldnt want polymer rails. Does the sig have polymer. I thought i read it had aluminum or at least partly.
How are the uppers? does they work reliably. whats a quality brand.

MP 15-22, magpul furniture, jd machine handguard, vortex viper pst 1-4x on an adm mount, troy buis.. 300 rds through it yesterday, no problems.
026.jpg

I have the M&P15-22 and love it. Yes, it is poly rails but so far I've had three different scopes, a bipod adaptor, fore grip and BUIS attached without issue. Mags are proprietary but fairly easy to get in both 10 and 25 round. Plus, they are pretty inexpensive and work like a champ. I mostly run mine suppressed and have had zero issues even when using standard or sub sonic ammo (just not Remington).
I really think, if the light weight of the poly is an issue, that there could be some weight added inside the false buffer tube.

I run a spikes tactical ST22 which I have about 8000 rounds through it with no problems. More on the expensive side but feels identical in every way to my other AR15's cause it is identical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hangingchads</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a spikes tactical ST22 which I have about 8000 rounds through it with no problems. More on the expensive side but feels identical in every way to my other AR15's cause it is identical. </div></div>

I love my spikes as well, but they've been discontinued. CMMG is the next best thing for a dedicated rifle.

I picked up an MP-15 22 and run a Primary arms T1 clone on it... had less than 10 FTF out of 500 rds and it was blast to shoot. The mags fit in my bladetech holsters and all the controls on the rifle are functional (unlike the colt).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baddoggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> MP 15-22, magpul furniture, jd machine handguard, vortex viper pst 1-4x on an adm mount, troy buis.. 300 rds through it yesterday, no problems.
026.jpg
</div></div>

awesome looking rifle.
I was considering getting ar type 22. M&P moe or sig swat commando . Sig is less like that ar but i hear is a real performer. I like the aluminium upper. The m&P looks great though. I wanted to have BUIS and a LARUE mount with a burris or vortex 1-4 scope but I figured the polymer rails would not hold repetable zero and would wear down under repeated attach/dettach.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hangingchads</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a spikes tactical ST22 which I have about 8000 rounds through it with no problems. More on the expensive side but feels identical in every way to my other AR15's cause it is identical. </div></div>

I love my spikes as well, but they've been discontinued. CMMG is the next best thing for a dedicated rifle.</div></div>

Not sure so I am asking. Is there a difference between the CMMG, Spikes, Tac Sol, or Nordic dedicated uppers. They all have a m4 version.

CMMG,Spike's, Model 1 Sales look,; the Spikes is out off production, nickeled, and not has some piece changes.
These are devised from the Atchisson conversion.

TacSol is well regarded, but I have not used my self.

Nordic is superposed very good too, though I not have one on then either.

All use the same mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbuck88</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hangingchads</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a spikes tactical ST22 which I have about 8000 rounds through it with no problems. More on the expensive side but feels identical in every way to my other AR15's cause it is identical. </div></div>

I love my spikes as well, but they've been discontinued. CMMG is the next best thing for a dedicated rifle.</div></div>

Not sure so I am asking. Is there a difference between the CMMG, Spikes, Tac Sol, or Nordic dedicated uppers. They all have a m4 version. </div></div>

They all have a different take on the bolt assembly.

The Spikes is kind of cool as it has a collar that slips over the barrel. The collar is interchangeable with the chamber adapter pop one off and pop the other on. It fits any milpsec AR upper. The bolt and "carrier" are plated and clean-up easily. There was a full auto kit available for the Spikes upper if you bend that direction.

The Tactical Solutions is real nice with the bolt machined from stainless. It also fits any milspec upper. It is a bit more picky on being clean but after a break-in period it seems to run much longer between wipe downs.

The Nordic Components is blued and a bit harder to clean up but it still cleans easily and seems to run longer between cleanings. I have the 18" barrel and it shoots right along side any 22LR bolt rifle at 200 yards. The upper is dedicated to the 22 and IS NOT milspec. I found out this weekend that my BCM gunfighter charging handle is longer than the NC factory charging handle.

If I ever sell all of my dedicated AR uppers the NC would be the last to go.

It looks like I should recommend the S&W 22 if he needs a lower priced complete rifle.

Pat

change out the handguards and youre good 2 go.

Spend the 500 on the Nordic Components. Build a lower on the cheap and put them together. Mine is all anyone could want in an AR22. 18" .750 stainless barrel. Eats any ammo. I'd do it this way all over again.

I had all of them except the M&P.

The spikes I had problems with mis-feeds, and failure to extracts. It shot everything, and with a light-weight trigger to.

The Tac-Sol is very nice, and the one I had was an early model. Some mods needed to be made but eventualy it ran 98-99%. It ran everything, but did not like the light weight trigger.

The Nordic was by far the best built. I could not get it use the light weight trigger, and if the round did not go off, and you pull the charing handle after the round the struck, I had a 50-50 chance of getting it to extract the live round. I sent that back to Nordic and they were very good with customer service. After speaking with them on the phone several times, we came to the conclusion it likes some triggers better than others. Jard (mine) is one that it did not like.

I now have an CMMG dedicated upper. Runs like a champ with Federal Blue Box bulk, and a mil-spec lower. Have used it at a few Tactical Rifle matches recently and ran 100% (except for 1 failure to fire due to dud round).

S&W 15-22

Great 22RF, mil-spec trigger group, take-down, threaded barrel, plus other features. Suggest getting the "Magpul" version.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spend the 500 on the Nordic Components. Build a lower on the cheap and put them together. Mine is all anyone could want in an AR22. 18" .750 stainless barrel. Eats any ammo. I'd do it this way all over again. </div></div>

+1. Go for the Nordic and dont look back.

Another MP15-22 fan here. Added GG&G flip ups in place of the stock sights, and dropped in a Wilson Tactical trigger the same as in my MP-15 AR.

Adding aftermarket accessories can drive up the price of the package pretty fast, but damn it's fun to shoot!

Very few of the 22LR uppers run well with a notched hammer or light hammer spring. All of the docuemntation I have seen tell you that teh hammer is the most critical part to making the kit work.

Spikes has the parts to warranty all of the deciated uppers and conversion kits sold to date according to Tom. They have a few ST-22 parts available as well.

I will try to get photos of the Spikes, Tactical Solutions, and Nordic Components bolts so you can see the difference between these. I have a old navy/Air Force conversion tucked away as well that I will try to find so you can see how they are built.

For a purpose built gun on the cheap I recommended the S&W 22 but did recommend going to a dedicated 22LR upper and to get started into the AR "real" world.

Pat

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy one of the Nordic uppers... Just cant decide between the 17'' and 18''

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about to pull the trigger and buy one of the Nordic uppers... Just cant decide between the 17'' and 18'' </div></div>

Now the down side. It took 8 months to get my upper. I have looked since receiving mine and have not seen an upper come up in stock since. They may not be updating their webpage or ???? I really appreciated the upper once I got it but the wait was tough.

The 17" heavy profile upper was offered to me during my wait and at the time it was a one-off and may not be available. The best thing would be to call and ask. Once you get your upper you will love it (as will all of your friends).

Pat

I seen on midway they have CMMG upper for somewhere between 3-400. any remarks towards it.
I would like an assualt rifle trainer also. The mp22 looks good but iwas leaning more toward the sig 522. Its quite expensive though. If you already have a lower. What is the best bang for the buck?
Is cmmg reliable, accurate? How is the quality? It does not have to be tack driver but I would like it to be accurate enough for squirrel hunting. will mainly be used for run & gun practice drills.

frog5215 said:
The "Colt" (and the "HK", for well) is dog shit.

hmmm, I realy like my hk 416ds. shoots well, so far no ftf , have around 500 rounds through it. I am by no means an expert. Just saying I like mine.

Take the receiver apart. Look at the trigger.
The receiver is a clam shell put together be machine screws.
Flash suppressor is (I think) not standard.
Is the selector like the 180 degrees like the "Colt" ( I'm asking, as I don't).
Same reciever , barrel, FH as the "Colt".
I'm you your is OK.

A $499 Quebec has real lock pieces, you can put you Jewell or Giesselle will drop in.
The 1/2x28 muzzle threads screws right and FH or suppressor.

I love my CMMG upper. Over 2K rounds with only a few FTF using a RRA NM 2-stage trigger with notched hammer. 16" bbl is like a real 14.5" M4 since it sits 1.5" into receiver. Once my Form 1 SBR lower gets approval the bbl is getting chopped to 4-6" for suppressor use. That's what sold me on a dedicated upper, to SBR a .22

BTW, my buddy has a S&W M&P 15-22 that I REALLY like. I like the mags and bolt hold open and everything works like an AR. If I were to do it again with out any SBR intentions it would probably be the S&W. I love the light weight of it compared to mine.

DSCN0387.jpg

DSCN0388.jpg

DSCN0396.jpg

Do you just use the 10rd mag they supply? I might have to order the 26rd mag or the 50rd drum...

What kind of 50 yard accuracy does the SW MP22 vs the Sig vs cmmg uppers? 2"+ groups i expect

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of 50 yard accuracy does the SW MP22 vs the Sig vs cmmg uppers? 2"+ groups i expect </div></div>

From what I have read the Sig and S&W are pretty close with the edge going to the Sig, it has a better trigger from factory but the S&W is easily upgradable. My CMMG will do 2-3" at 50 yards (10 shots) with cheap Federal bulk pack from WM with an EOTech and 3x magnification. A little tighter with better ammo but I bought it for a blaster. Also, you can order the CMMG with a Clint Beyer bbl that is suppose to shoot very well...

Another thing to add is you can get Black Dog Machine mags for the CMMG and Sig for $12/mag.

Love the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 MOE.

Price, function, accuracy, and blah blah blah its an awesome 22 LR

i do want a mp22 MOE, they seem little expensve for a polymer 22. the understnad that teh MOE editions have a lot of exta magpul parts but still a tad pricey.

I will go a different way, a 10/22 ( pick your quality/performance) in a tapco stock, the mags for the other ones are to long

How good are the tapco stocks. I just always assumed tapco was lower qaulity maker.

As far as the mags being to long. If you want an ar trainer and then the long mags would be standard. Especailly if your running and gunning. Drop that mag and grab another and cram it in there. It would be more along the lines of a true ar.

Yea if your paper punching on a bench they could be annoying though.

Its hard to beat the M&P-22. Mags aren't too expensive, they are pretty accurate, and they work a lot better than most .22 conversion uppers I have seen. If all you want to do is blast .22 out of the semi, I would look at a 10/22, but if you want something cheap to train with the M&P-22 is the way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of 50 yard accuracy does the SW MP22 vs the Sig vs cmmg uppers? 2"+ groups i expect </div></div>

Heres my 100 yard accuracy on the Sig 522 with the 20" barrel and Remington Eley Target Rifle ammo. (yeah, technically speaking its a 3 round group, but the 2 on the right were from when I zero'd with a slight breeze, which I forgot about.)

Picture1074Large.jpg

I wouldn't trade it for any others I've shot either so far...don't know about the Nordic Components stuff and how accurate it can be. But then again, you might not want to do what I have with mine either.

Picture1057Large.jpg

Either way, it's my favorite rifle next to my CZ 452.

I have the Tacsol upper on a Bushy lower. It is great, light and accurate, and threaded. Good stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How good are the tapco stocks. I just always assumed tapco was lower qaulity maker.

As far as the mags being to long. If you want an ar trainer and then the long mags would be standard. Especailly if your running and gunning. Drop that mag and grab another and cram it in there. It would be more along the lines of a true ar.

Yea if your paper punching on a bench they could be annoying though.
</div></div>

for a 22 the tapco stock is fine, makes a 10/22 easily adjustable for a variety of shooters, the long magazines are mostly inconvenient for prone sling shooting blocking the elbow under the rifle, I have worked with shooters using most every 22lr AR type variant, the conversion kits are the poorest for function/accuracy, the others are all OK but $$ for what they are

for bench shooting the tapco stock would be a poor choice, but to me no type of AR belongs on the bench other than for ammo development

The sig 522 is rock solid but feels a bit different then the ar15. Function wise mine was 100% and a tad bit more accurate then my friends m&p22.

Are we talking about TAPCO conversion stocks for Ruger 10/22s?

That was what I originally bought, thinking it would be a price effective way to have an AR style 22. Wrong. It’s a hundred bucks spent for a cheesy POS piece of plastic that had two different “buffer tubes”* based on whether you wanted to use the iron sights or a optic

* (stock extension or whatever you wanna call it cuz there’s no actual buffer obviously) – which by the way are not at all convenient or smooth to switch back and forth.

Yes the S&W M&P 15-22 MOE isn’t cheap, but when you consider how much money you are saving by using – and really enjoying that 22LR – and even getting some “transferable” muscle memory training value out of it – the weapon more than pays for itself.

This is a “cry and buy once” gun. Just throw down the money one time and then never worry about upgrading it ever again (besides accessories to put on that rail system). Its money well spent in my opinion. – I mean, I’ve put 3,000 rounds through my MOE. Rounding off to 20 bucks per 500 rounds (a way highball estimate), that 3,000 rounds cost me 120 bucks.

I would like to see some rig pictures of the m&p22 and the sig 522. Also if anyone could snap of the interals and actions. That would be nice.

Mossberg just introduced a Ar style tactical 22 at Shot Show a few months ago. I had the opportunity to test it out, and I was impressed. It's a lot cheaper than the Smith version that has the same features.

makes me wonder the quality about since they are so much cheaper than the smith and sig. does the bolt release and safey, charging handled, etc function like in an AR? I know the one real advantage of the smith is the fact you can drop in any ar trigger, grips, stock.