• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which AR15 for my second AR?

c1steve

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2010
WA
I have a POF P415 with an 18" barrel which works well. I use a SWFA SS 1-6 on this rifle. However I would like a second AR. I could buy a POF upper for $1350, and put it on a spare AR lower than I have. I like POF, they are accurate, well made and low maintenance.

The other possibility is buying something like the Smith and Wesson M&P15 VTAC II (Viking Tactics model). This comes with a decent trigger, and would need few upgrades. I would put my Aimpoint H1 on it. This would be for range work, and possibly for defense if ever needed.

I am planning on a 16" barrel, so I do not have to pin the compensator. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Well, if I were you (and I was about 4 months ago), I'd order a JP-15. If you like piston systems, then you are definitely in need of a PWS Mk1 rifle. I was not a huge fan of piston AR's, but after shooting a Mk118, I was sold. They are a very wieldy and smooth-shooting rifle.

Build with components that you trust and have a hankering for.

There are a ton of SALES going on so that you could build a mutt with a pedigree of tier one breeding.

smcarroll-albums-guns-picture40782-img1718.jpg

My 16". Psa m4gery, cheap quad rail, some magpul furniture and a vortex strikefire. I got it as part of a trade, was gonna resell it. I have come to love it, its accurate and reliable all day. I think I have like 800$ invested, maybe less idk.

Well the PWS upper look very interesting. And as DavidAR10 said, there are a ton of sales going on. Right now I am thinking gas piston, but light weight...

s

There's an oxymoron, Lightweight and Piston………granted the scope her top heavy, but still is more.... PWS is a great option at 16" and have yet to be concerned about issues, but I find myself grabbing the lighter rifle with Noveske bottom and upper with 16" pipe and Samson Evo 12.37 for end. Red Dot optic to keep weight down.

Why not consider a DI BCM upper with a SS410 barrel, then pick a lower of your choice (Noveske Gen2 with BCM upper fit 'rather' nicely).

Going DI Build - just my opin, but build a monster of your own creation from top tier sources

Lower - Noveske Gen2 flared; POF, Mega, Aero Precision, Stag, Spikes Punisher, Seekins, (Aero Precision sells Cerakoted Sets for $190, worth a look)

LPK - CMMG (I kid not, best out of the bag Mil Spec trigger I have had out of them all…..far better than the ALG kits I tried, DD / Spikes / RRA and other LPKs I have tried for myself or others. MAYBE i got a fluke batch of CMMGs but as of this year they are my go to choice. Change the Grip out for a MIAD

Extension -- POF or KAC or PWS - then LMT or BCM or DD

Spring -- Springco 'BLUE"

Buffer - H2 or Spikes T2 or similar

Stock - Magpul ACS-L, or CTR

KNS Pins?

Upper - Mega, Vltor, WMD NIB-X and ceramic coated??, with a MOD 4 BCM or Raptor CH,

Barrel - Mid length ARP (melonite and wylde chamber), BCM lghtwt, LW - direct from them, Centurion, Rainier Arms Ultra or Match, White Oak, Noveske, Superior, Satern, etc

BCG -- BCM, WMD?, RCA?, PWS, KAC, DD, Colt, Stag or CMT (the real OE/Mil SPec and original CMT - Continental Machine Tool) - Wild card = Rifle Arms M16 5.56 Bolt Carrier Group with Buffer Technology, NiB Exo Coating. Bolt Carrier with Buffer

Handguard -- Samson Evo 12.37, or one of the newer Keymods, PRI Gen III, Centurion C4 or CMR, pretty much anything between 12'' and 14" and lighter weight and antiroll system.

Muzzle Dev -- BCM Mod ?, PWS, A2, ** need to consider if you want the ability to have a quick attach Suppressor option……like a Saker or AAC or Gemtech Halo

GB - basic lo pro GB

Gas Tube - WMD , Spikes or ?? Melonite/Isonite/QPQ/ coated…..

Last edited:
For me, I'm going to get a LE trade in, slap a PA micro red dot on it, and hit it with a coat of krylon. Larrys pistol and pawn in Huntsville has DPMS trade ins for $499.

Wolf22, thanks for the detailed info. I am going to save this info for probable use in the future. Due to work and time issues, I will probably not build from scratch this time, but am leaning toward a PWS upper or BCM parts kit plus BCM bold carrier.

That PA micro red dot looks interesting. Saves some money for a range gun, could put it on my AR22.

s

SR-15. It is the pinnacle of the AR-15 system. There is nothing else on the market nor could you build an equal.

You might be able to find something that beats it in one category slightly, but as a package nothing comes close.

As someone who had built AR's for friends, families and colleges for over 10 years professionally and personally, That is the one gun you can not replicate.

Once you own them and shoot them, you won't want anything else.........unless your tarded. Then all bets are off.

SR-15. It is the pinnacle of the AR-15 system. There is nothing else on the market nor could you build an equal.

You might be able to find something that beats it in one category slightly, but as a package nothing comes close.

As someone who had built AR's for friends, families and colleges for over 10 years professionally and personally, That is the one gun you can not replicate.

Once you own them and shoot them, you won't want anything else.........unless your tarded. Then all bets are off.

You have got to be the biggest Knights fanboy in history. The sad part is like a lot of Glock fanboys, your rhetoric probably turns more people away from KAC then leads them to it much like the Larue groupies out there...

You have got to be the biggest Knights fanboy in history. The sad part is like a lot of Glock fanboys, your rhetoric probably turns more people away from KAC then leads them to it much like the Larue groupies out there...

Good, Don't buy them.

Last thing we need is more shitstains buying the precious few rifles that make it to the civilian market. It's hard enough finding one on the secondary market for under retail price.

Funny thing is, you can't prove me wrong. That must make your frustrated and sad.

Good, Don't buy them.

Last thing we need is more shitstains buying the precious few rifles that make it to the civilian market. It's hard enough finding one on the secondary market for under retail price.

Funny thing is, you can't prove me wrong. That must make your frustrated and sad.

Gee so that one I just purchased and sold for under retail must have been a figment of my imagination... I wonder how it is you've owned the hundreds of rifles and optics you talk about that you've shot so much yet you're always here telling everyone how much crap they all are compared to Knights...

KAC makes a nice rifle.

Really like mine and if you have the money to spend I'd suggest one.

I really love the full ambi lower and spiral fluted barrel on my LWRC IC SPR. I think it's definitely a serious competitor to the SR-15.

For a lightweight build, Daniel Defense has an excellent one. Anything in the LW series from DD is a well made, light nimble AR.

Right now I am thinking about buying a complete upper from Seekins Precision. It would be the 14.5" barrel with their brake pinned in place. However, the more I learn the more I contemplate all the possibilities.

Last edited:
I just got a couple Seekins upper and lowers, those uppers are impressive. I will not tell you guys my favorite AR because of fear of being banned from site.

I've been reading about the KAC rifles, they sound most impressive...I may end up with one of those after all.

What would it take to be banned from SH? Would it be a Bushmaster? Kel-Tec?

Last edited:
Just kidding, Larue Stealth is my #1 rifle. For the money, it would be hard to say what would be the best. I love having BRD.

OP back on topic, you have to chose what you want. (5.56guns) Decide what your goals are and your budget.

Commerical type guns (shit like bushmaster, dmps, cmmg, armalite,ect)

Military/TDP/Commercial-TDP Hybrids like middys and intermediates type weapons (Colt, DD, BCM, LMT)

High End/Military Priopertary System like the SR-15

The first 2 categories you can piece together yourself, get exactly what you want and save some money along the way. If you like Colt lowers and BCM uppers and LMT BCG's, then that would work great.

The 3rd, and really there is no one other than KAC that does this and executes it so well, you have to buy. Yea you can buy uppers/lowers but they are designed to work together. They(uppers) have design features that you cannot get anywhere else, not could you build. It starts with the E3 Bolt and extensions, which is the most reliable/durrable bolt in existance. Guarenteed for 20K rounds, and I have yet to see, hear, or read of one EVER breaking. They flipside is the cost and you can't just add them to another rifle without ALOT of money and there are less than a handfull of people in the country who could even do it if they could get the parts. They also have a very finely tuned gas system for shooting 5.56 mil ammo, that is one of the softer shooting systems. Its a longer gas system so it also reduces wear/tear on the system while increasing reliability. They have very good barrels and all the small parts/componets are top notch. The Lower is also fully abi and until recently, was the only option on the market. Now there are some nice fully ambi lowers, but you are going to pay SR-15 lower prices for one when all's said and done. (AX556 Lower Receiver | AXTS Weapons Systems is the best 5.56 lower out there you can actualy buy). So yea, you are going to pay $2000-2100 for the rifle, but you also are getting one of the best rail systems on the market (URX 3.1 or URX 4 if your into keymod), the KAC 2 Stage, KAC Micro Flip sights, rail pannels, VFG, SOPMOD stock and all the testing and QC behind this proven system.

Personaly, I wish everyone hated KAC guns, so they price would drop and they would be easy to find. I have been building and shooting AR's since I was a kid and I can tell you they are all I shoot now. I still build guns for friends and family, but I usualy tell them to bite the bullet and get an SR-15 of they can afford it. Call me a fanboy or whatever, It doesn't change the facts. Even at $2k , its a bargin if you price out what you get and if you want those features.

So in summary, if you can afford it (and like the features) buy an SR-15. They will run like a top out of the box and you will have zero issues.

If your on a budget, piece together a quality gun using the Military/TDP type componets. You can always add a better trigger or Muzzle device or stock down the road. Get a good quality Carbine gas system (<14.5") or Middy (>16") and build it up as you go along. Right now, the BCM KMR ELW 16" uppers are probally the best product on the market. Its going to be around $1000 with a BCM BCG/CH, and you can either build a lower, or buy one. Should come out to less than $1500 for a very high quality, light and reliable gun you can trust your life to. As you can see, once you start adding triggers, muzz devices, stocks and quality sights you are getting into SR-15 money.

Cheaper guns like PSA, Bushmaster, CMMG are fine for plinkers and range guns, hell I got a bunch of them in the back of the safe, but they are not reliable/durrable enought for heavy use or to trust your life with. You need to decide what your goals and budget are, and go from there.