• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Which Asolo boot?

Dusty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2003
Louisiana
I am going to order a pair to replace my danner 453's. Just wondering which model to get. I am 6'2" and 260 lbs. So the doles are usually the first thing to go. Looking got the most durable model for tramping around the woods, sometimes with a pack. Saw mixed reviews on the Fugitive GTX and the 95 GTX. How do they compare to the Danner 453's?

Re: Which Asolo boot?

I recently switched to Asolos. I have worn Danners, Vasque, La Sportiva and a number of other good boots over the years. My friend swears by his Fugitives so I went to try/buy a pair and the shop did not have my size. They talked me into a pair of Flames. I have had them about six months and I really like them. I am about your size (6'1" and 250 lbs) and wear these to hike, hunt, etc. They are comfortable and I like the way they lace up. I can get the right amount of tension in all the right places. The laces themselves were junk and were replaced with 550 cord on mine. Other than that I am very happy with them.

FWIW the Fugitives that I did try on felt stiffer than the Flames. I may try them the next time I need a pair.

asolo fugitives have been my favorite boots, period.
i wont be owning any other brands for the purpose i use these for.

i highly recommend getting them from REI. get a foot gear guy to get you fitted properly, walk around the store for a while, use the little climbing wall deal, make sure they feel good. become a member of REI if you arent (one time fee of 20$, and gets you a 10% return dividend every year of what you spent) and if you have ANY problems with the boots, and i mean ANY, return for another pair or for something that works. my brother in law hiked the entire AT, took his asolo's back afterwards and got a new pair, no questions asked. i've taken back worn out ripped pants for new pairs, no receipt necessary

How is the longevity on the Asolo boots? I have been reading several reviews on rei's website and several say the soles wear out quickly. Hasthis been an issue with the fugitives?

Asolo ("oz-low") boots are resoleable. And they are good boots. I was a full time professional back packer for about three years. My Asolo 525 GTX served me well, as did my Danner Canadians (in the dead of winter.

My work shift was 8 days/nights in the (mtn.) back country 6 days off. I worked in one of the few "decidious rain forests" also which brutally challenges foot wear as they are often in the wet for days on end. So I feel I'm quite able to speak of boots.

As I said Asolo boots are great boots. But so are every other brand classically related to serious backpacking. Vasque, Scarpa, Garamont, Montrail, Lowa and on.

I would not just randomly abandon a certain brand (Danner) and jump right on board with another (Asolo.) Thats not a great way to go about it. Here's my humble suggestion having literally lived in boots.

1. determine what you want the boot for/ to do. This equates to "sole flex."

a. Full flex.
Typically called a "hiking boot." The sole is not so rigid and flexes from the toe all the way to the heel. = comfort like a tennis shoe. However not good for rough/rocky trying wilderness terrian, much less less with more than the weight of a day pack on your back.

b. Mid flex:
typically called a "back packing boot." the sole flexes from the toes to the start of the instep, and the rest of the sole to the heel will not flex. A good bit more rigid sole, which you will praise when your on sections of trail that are considerably rocky & rough in general. Also good for support of your foot bed with about any amount of weight you can reasonable carry on your back. A great all around boot, and typically last far longer than "hiking" boots because they are just made more robust & with sturdier materials, including full grain leather and often a "rant" (scuff guarding cap over the toe.)

c. toe flex
98% of us have no use for a toe flex boot. These are called "Alpine boots." The sole practically does not flex. It actually flexes just a little- from the tip of the toe to about 2- 2.5" back. These are for walking in snow were you dont really need flex, for snow shoeing, skiing and for ice climbing. When you spend hours "standing" on the toe spikes of your crampons on an ice climbing wall, with nothing under the whole sole of your boot but cold air, you'll be quite thankful the sole of your boot is as stiff as a locust fence post.

So

1. decide what sole flex suits your needs. Then

2. pick a (well known, reputable) boot by FIT, not brand. Each company's boot has a slightly differing cut, even in the same size. Like Scarpa- roomy in the ball, tight in the heel in every given size. A truly great cut for a lanky man with big feet but slim build. It is true that Asolo has more of a generally forgiving & universal fit- but it would greatly behoove you to try as many brands as possible- and make sure you tromp all over the store for as long as you can in each boot.

Most likely one companies boot- when you slide in it will give you the same sensation as when you pull on your favorite blue jeans- perfection of fit.

Per brand- any reputable main stream well known "back packing boot" maker's boot should easily last through a minimum of 3 if not 5 resoles so don't worry about getting your monies worth.

My 2 cents,

PS- LL bean is often overlooked

Their "Cresta Hikers" are made for them by one of the top main stream back packing boot makers (they won't tell who) and always get good nods from the various outdoor magazines gear test's and what not. My former father in law had a pair that served him handsomely for the years we packed together.

I wear the hell out of the Asolo boots,

For winter I have the Powermatics, for everyday I use the Moran GTX, or the Revenge, I had super good times with the FSN 95,

can't go wrong with them.

I researched and went to buy, a couple of years ago, the Asolo boots for heavy backpacking. I also looked at the Zamberlan back pack boots. I pack out to 50+ or so lbs. in backpack weight for treks on the PCT for 5 to 7 days. I tried on the Asolo boots, which I believe are equivalent to their Power Matic 200 GV, then I tried on the Zamberlan Vois GT. For me and the shape of my feet as well as initial comfort I ended up buying the Zamberlan Vois GT's. The fit was better for me. Very similar boots with the Asolo being a bit heavier. The Zamberlans took about 40 hours of use time to totally break in and from then on have been very comfortable well wearing boots for me. Break in for these kinds of boots and how they are intended to be used is very important. I wear them with SmartWool medieum weight socks most of the time.

If you can get to an REI store I'd definitely try both on in the store for at least 1/2 hour each before you decide to buy.

on the fugitives...
i havent noticed any excessive wear. then again im not hiking 30 + miles a week or anything.
i think any of these higher end boots are going to do you good.

frederick also makes a good point about socks. very good practice to run smart wool socks and wicking liners if you like them.
no cotton

Where can you get these type of boots resoled? I tried danner and they said it can't be done. Right now I sm breaking in my Asolo morans, but if I could get my danners resoled, that would be great.

Fugitives are my go to Asolo boot. I have worn several of them but love the Fugitives.

Danners to me are either a love them or hate them feeling. I have never cared for Danners. They tend to be stiff and heavier than they should be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can you get these type of boots resoled? I tried danner and they said it can't be done. Right now I sm breaking in my Asolo morans, but if I could get my danners resoled, that would be great. </div></div>

Some info here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1630401

+1 on Fugatives. I also have TPS 520s and tend to wear the Fugatives more often. Just got some Lowa's and like then as well.

I got some about ten years ago and can't remember which model they are, but the soles on them are worn almost flat. They are my go to boots and have stayed comfortable the whole time. They are starting to get a bit thin on the top side from wear so I might need to replace them soon use, but you will be happy with whatever you get.

Found the old boots I got. The FSN 95 GTX. The boot is all faded now so it doesn't look anything like the picture anymore. My dad has the same pair and they have held up really well for both of us. We did 65 miles in New Mexico in a week with those boots one time and they felt like tennis shoes.

I'm partial to Kayland Vertigo Duals now. However, as far as the Asolos go, you can't go wrong with the Fugitives. I've had good luck with Danner, Merrell, Salomon, Vasque, and Garmont as well.

Chad

I've owned Danner and Asolo. Forget either. Pick up a pair of Meindl via Cabelas. Handmade in Germany. Best boots you'll ever own.

I rocked the fugitive's in Afghanistan for a year. They held up great and performed great. I would recommend them to anyone.

Asolo's are the shit. Saw guys buy all kinds of boots, but everyone's asolos out lasted the others.

I had the Moran GTX, and they saved my ankles and allowed me to carry all of my gear in the worst the mountains of Astan could throw at us, class 3 terrain all day without a single stitch tear or issue at all. If they weren't in the mountains, they were being drug though the rice paddies, creeks, and rivers. No other boot I have ever used lasted like these. My Scarpa's lasted about 4 months, and my Merrell"s sole was gone in 3.

Good luck.

Top of the line Asolo let me down. Wore right through the interior lining in toe box of both feet after only a couple months of moderate wear. Asolo is talking and passer the buck to Goretex for the warranty. I was excited to give them a go even though they are made in Romania. They squeak like rabid mice when you walk. Disappointed.

I have Danner Arcadia and Fort Lewis that have been going for 15 and 17 years, they are not the most comfortable or supportive but by far have exceeded any other boot I have owned in longevity. The Arcadia are actually brown bull hide but essentially the same boot and I just had a local shoe cobler resole them for $50 including vibram soles. They now serve as back up "junk boots" for cutting wood.

Miendle Denali/Alaska? From Cabelas are my new 3 season favorites.
La Sportiva Makula are my Asolo replacements. These are just incredible. Wish I would have tried them before getting into a pair of Asolo. They are made in Italy and superior in every way. My local shop in Traverse City Michigan stocks them for the forest fire guys because they won't melt and fall apart. They sold me the Asolo and are helping with the warranty issue. They say only people who are really gear sluts come in asking for.La.Sportiva by name but after buying a pair all their friends rush in for a pair. I have gotten several comments recently from strangers asking about them and that has never happened to me before. If I did not already have the Miendle I would get the La Spotiva Lhotse GTX for a 3 season boot. I remember reading a similar posting from some guide from Alaska going on about the Makula a few year back saying they are "the best". Everyone has their favorites...opinions etc.

I don't usually rant on the forums but thought I should help a bro out. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I rocked the fugitive's in Afghanistan for a year. They held up great and performed great. I would recommend them to anyone.
</div></div>

+1 I love my Fugitives! I have used them for work and at the range ....

I have been beating the SHIT out of my Asolo Fugitive GTX for 2 years and have been wanting to buy a new pair but these damn thing just will not give up the ghost. I have put them through the ringer from well below zero F to well above 90f in ice, snow, sand, mud, rocks and every thing in between. I wear them in town, in rivers fishing, and all up and down the roughest mountains on the East coast from Maine to Georgia through summer and winter and they dont fail. I WILL replace them with the same boot. I too have owned many high end boots from Danner FT Lewis, Acadias, MTN Lights, Vasque, Scarpa, Merrell, Alico and many others and this is my first pair of Asolo and they are hands down better in every catagory.

Also they are still as water tight as the day I bought them and there is not 1 stich or eyelet out of place hell Im still using the original laces and that is very rare!

Another satisfied Fugitive GTX customer here. I even use them for offhand in highpower. They lace up nice and stiff around the top, very stable bottom. Yea a little warm, but a real boot that can handle an 80 pound pack.