• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which backup-handgun for hunting?

Well, both cartridges you have selected are pricey to shoot. I know you are dead set on one or the other, but...
The .357 sig is a pretty decent cartridge, you are limited to no heavier than 125 grain bullet weight. It also takes significant practice to shoot well, as it is VERY snappy.
The .44 magnum is the .44 magnum. What else do you need to say?
I don't own a .44, but I do own a .41 mag, which is an excellent choice, but, personally, for what you describe, I think a 7 shot .357 magnum is your answer. Loaded with 158 grain bullets, it will break bones and penetrate far better than the .357 sig with less recoil than a .44 magnum.
You can carry 125's for two legged critters, when head into the woods, run the 158's.
Taurus makes a couple of really nice 7 shot .357's, they are "L" frame size, so they are pretty easy to conceal.
I have their model 66, they also make a Tracker version.
I also own about 8 S&W revolvers, including two 686+ models, but my Taurus hangs with them pretty good.

Reactions: tomcatmv
It seems people don’t know there are commercial 147gr loadings in .357 Sig:

Is it expensive and often out of stock? Yes. Does it exist? Also, yes.

Reactions: DeadAss

Did not know that. I hadn't looked at it in many years.
My recommendation, however, still stands. The .357 magnum is tailor made for the OP's uses.

Reactions: nikerret

357 Sig wouldn't be a cartridge I'd consider. Mainly because it's not a common round, and I have a 357 Mag. If I were to pick an obscure cartridge I'd choose a 10 mm. For a defensive round I'm not going to choose something that's hard to get. If you can't get or make the ammo then you have a nice, expensive, door stop.

Reactions: nikerret and TACC
357 Sig wouldn't be a cartridge I'd consider. Mainly because it's not a common round, and I have a 357 Mag. If I were to pick an obscure cartridge I'd choose a 10 mm. For a defensive round I'm not going to choose something that's hard to get. If you can't get or make the ammo then you have a nice, expensive, door stop.

I said that earlier, about the 357 Sig. Perhaps, the OP has some, already.

I’ve had .357 Sig for many years, but only have a few thousand rounds of it. No way would I get into now, if I didn’t have a line on some good priced ammo or components.

As far as a defensive round, some days, .357 Sig is easier to get than 38 Special. I almost never carry the 357 Sig, but it’s an option.

I said that earlier, about the 357 Sig. Perhaps, the OP has some, already.

I’ve had .357 Sig for many years, but only have a few thousand rounds of it. No way would I get into now, if I didn’t have a line on some good priced ammo or components.

As far as a defensive round, some days, .357 Sig is easier to get than 38 Special. I almost never carry the 357 Sig, but it’s an option.

Realistically if you are getting something like a .357 sig for personal protection or as a backup while hunting in case things go wrong and your rifle turns into a doorstop, You could simply get like 500 to 1000 rounds of ammo and be set for the rest of your life, never needing to worry about if the ammo becomes unavailable. Your only worry would be not forgetting to bring ammo.

Reactions: BCP and Bender
Well, the 357 Sig is built for a 125gr bullet, actually long bullets won´t fit most chambers, so I know.

It should match the power of the 357 Mag with a 125gr bullet.

Realistically if you are getting something like a .357 sig for personal protection or as a backup while hunting in case things go wrong and your rifle turns into a doorstop, You could simply get like 500 to 1000 rounds of ammo and be set for the rest of your life, never needing to worry about if the ammo becomes unavailable. Your only worry would be not forgetting to bring ammo.
I am a relaoder and can make 357 Sig all day long.
And even if i can´t get cases, I can make em from 10mm or 40S&W.
So that is no concern to me.

I´m just cruising around those two hand guns for almost a week now and was switching back and forth.

Biggest dangerous game (with 4 legs) in my area is European boar, no cougar (with 4 legs), no bears or anything.

My heart leans toward the 44, but my brain says 357 Sig.
I think the Glock will be on my waist rather than the 44.

I´m just cruising around those two hand guns for almost a week now and was switching back and forth.

Biggest dangerous game (with 4 legs) in my area is European boar, no cougar (with 4 legs), no bears or anything.

If you want it tucked away easily carried as a strict backup, the Glock in .357 Sig might be the ticket due to the size and weight.

the .44 magnum is something that can do duty as a primary hunting weapon if you needed, but the trade off is going to be the size and weight so that's probably what you are going to need to decide on.

As far as big or aggressive things being more deader, .44 magnum > .357 Sig by a large margin. But weight, cost, size and ease of carry usually win the argument because the gun you will actually always have on you is way better than the much better gun you left at home because it was a pain to hump around all day.

I believe the 357 sig and 10 mm would be a different frame. The 357 Sig being on a 40 S&W frame size and 10mm on the 45 ACP frame size. So if you get a 357 sig you'll be able to swap in a 40 S&W or 9mmx19 barrel. You may need a ejector and extractor as well as magazines for fool proof reliability. In any case good luck.

Reactions: nikerret
I believe the 357 sig and 10 mm would be a different frame. The 357 Sig being on a 40 S&W frame size and 10mm on the 45 ACP frame size. So if you get a 357 sig you'll be able to swap in a 40 S&W or 9mmx19 barrel. You may need a ejector and extractor as well as magazines for fool proof reliability. In any case good luck.

Moving between .40 S&W and .357 Sig is simply a barrel swap.

Trying to bring 9mm into that mix is going to up the complexity and number of parts by a large amount, including needing a different magazine.

Reactions: TACC
Moving between .40 S&W and .357 Sig is simply a barrel swap.

Trying to bring 9mm into that mix is going to up the complexity and number of parts by a large amount, including needing a different magazine.
Yes but I've been to Glock's armorer's course twice so it's a non issue for ME. I've ran a G23 with a G19 barrel and no ejector/ extractor swap with no issues. I even tried running the 9mm through the G23 mags with no issues if memory serves me correctly. But the reality is if it were my pistol and I was running it ECD I'd swap the extractor/ ejector or have a complete 9mmx19 slide set up. Like you said the 357 sig to 40 s&w is just a barrel swap.

Ah I see I misread th OP's post. He was talking about forming 10mm or 40 S&W cases into 357 Sig. I thought he was speaking of converting a 10mm into a 357 Sig by barrel swapping. My mistake, sorry.

Last edited:
I just went on Midway USA and they have a ton of 38 special ammo.

Today. Over the last two years, I’ve seen it go back and forth. For most of 2021, 357 Sig was easier to get than 38 Special.

Correct on the sizes of GLOCKs.

Barrel swap between 357/40. No need to change extractor (they are different, but function the same) or ejector (same in both). The change to 9mm should be more involved, especially, if being carried and not a range tool.

I found it best to just buy a dedicated model of each. Obviously, that’s not an option, for everyone.

True.

If one wanted to carry the G32 in 357 Sig, they could get the amounts you’re talking and just replace the ammo at annual intervals (or however they choose), to verify function and carry fresh ammo.

They could get a G19 and have all the same controls/holsters/etc, and shoot 9mm, for training. Even a G44 is the same size, if you wanted to train with .22LR.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
One thing I like to remind folks of when they start doing a bunch of research into handgun round penetration and which caliber is so much better etc:

If they are not doing their actual own shooting tests and using data they personally collected, then pay really good attention to the test barrel lengths in the pistols. If the test pistol was a full sized pistol with a 5.5" or greater tactical barrel and you are carrying around your little 3.5" barrel compact pistol, there is a very good chance the ammo won't have the stated performance numbers out of your gun.

Deagle

hulk-hogan-mic-drop.gif

One thing I like to remind folks of when they start doing a bunch of research into handgun round penetration and which caliber is so much better etc:

If they are not doing their actual own shooting tests and using data they personally collected, then pay really good attention to the test barrel lengths in the pistols. If the test pistol was a full sized pistol with a 5.5" or greater tactical barrel and you are carrying around your little 3.5" barrel compact pistol, there is a very good chance the ammo won't have the stated performance numbers out of your gun.

The same can be said for testing your actual ammo. Companies are often tweaking things without changing the part number.

I have documented some pretty big changes with Gold Dots, over the years. Others have also had noticeable differences.

There is a lot to be said for buying your defensive ammo by the case, so it’s all as consistent as possible.

What do you carry on a daily basis? Do you routinely practice with it? If it's a 9mm or better, I'd strongly consider carrying that as a backup. I try to shoot my carry gun weekly (on my range, so it's easy). Familiarity is paramount in a sticky situation.

It is not allowed to carry over here, only on the range or when hunting.
I had a 40, a 357 and a 44 Mag in the past, right now 9ers and a 45.

This gun will be a new one for me, especially for this purpose.

I´ve shot IPSC handgun for several years and am pretty good with handguns, have shot 10thousands of rounds in my life and still going.
It will take me a bit time to adapt to the then new gun, but it´ll work out pretty fast.

It is not allowed to carry over here, only on the range or when hunting.
I had a 40, a 357 and a 44 Mag in the past, right now 9ers and a 45.

This gun will be a new one for me, especially for this purpose.

I´ve shot IPSC handgun for several years and am pretty good with handguns, have shot 10thousands of rounds in my life and still going.
It will take me a bit time to adapt to the then new gun, but it´ll work out pretty fast.

Where is “over here”?

I've always thought of a hunting sidearm as needing to be very simple to use if under close attack or injured. Most people caught off guard by charging animal will instinctively try to use an arm/hand to shield themselves. Trying to put something in between the teeth and your neck. Thats why a revolver always made sense to me. I get that tactical pros got all kinds of tricks for one hand slide manipulation but most folk are going to find that pretty hard while a furry-rage chomps down on your forearm. And while you may (and should) already have a round chambered clearing a malfunction from a limp-wristed first shot could prove detrimental to the desired outcome.

I'll stick to a revolver, either shoulder holster or in a side holster. First preference is .357 mag, as a nice balance between power and handling.

If you ever been attacked by even a medium size dog then you know animals don't have much quit once determined and infuriated. There is no reasoning..."please Mr dog stop biting me"...I've had a couple run-ins with "country-wild dogs" that put a true fear and knowledge into you on just how bezerk and hard to fend-off very determined animals can be.

Hey guys,
please don´t laugh at me.

I´m totally thorn between two handguns, which are very different.
It is about the Glock 32 in .357 Sig and the Ruger Redhawk 5,5" in .44 Magnum.

Why those two?
Well, my thoughts are for a light and small pistol, easy to carry, concealed as well, with enough stopping power for a hog (no bears around) and on the other hand the hand cannon, six-shooter, doing it all and some more, but heavy and bulky.

In my opinion both will do the job, and I like the idea of the Magnum, but then on the other hand mo´ammo and easier to carry.
I will have to drive with it in the car, and "pirsch" ("walkhunt" or stalk) some miles every time when hunting.

How would you decide?
:unsure:
1911 chambered in 40 Super with 140gr flat points and a 28# recoil spring.

I have a reamer. You supply a 400 Cor-Bon barrel and I'll chamber it for you 🤣

Reactions: FWoo45
If both work for your largest predator, then quantity of firepower is a definite advantage.

and the Glock works better for regular CCW as well if you don't have a Glock already

How do you think they would carry for you? would one carry better for the purpose?

I'll say it again, 686+ as the .357 is really all you need. First and foremost you want reliability and then stopping power. You get both

Reactions: jbuck88
Personally I would bring my G29, my G32, my SP101 or my max champion in .357. eh, who am I kidding, it would be my super redhawk in .44 mag with a 9.5 inch barrel!

If you can’t carry unless hunting, I’d lean towards the redhawk. I carry an all steel 1911 of some flavor everyday. A good belt or shoulder/chest rig really mitigates the stress on your body of packin a heavier gun. A 10mm, 6” 1911 or a wheel gat in .357, .41, or .44 mag would be my choice.

I would carry whatever you have right now that you shoot a lot.
Well, that´s what I´m actually doing now, I carry my CZ SP01 in 9mm.
But the European boars are a bit bigger as the American ones I´ve seen, I would assume they are about double as big.
And I don´t want to stand against a shot and going berserk boar with my 9mm.

The Oldtimers over here say to this situation: "Shoot as long until it stops."

The 44 is the superior cartridge, nobody doubts that.
But the 44 at home will be worse than the 357 Sig on my hip.

Thanks guys.

Hey guys,
please don´t laugh at me.

I´m totally thorn between two handguns, which are very different.
It is about the Glock 32 in .357 Sig and the Ruger Redhawk 5,5" in .44 Magnum.

Why those two?
Well, my thoughts are for a light and small pistol, easy to carry, concealed as well, with enough stopping power for a hog (no bears around) and on the other hand the hand cannon, six-shooter, doing it all and some more, but heavy and bulky.

In my opinion both will do the job, and I like the idea of the Magnum, but then on the other hand mo´ammo and easier to carry.
I will have to drive with it in the car, and "pirsch" ("walkhunt" or stalk) some miles every time when hunting.

How would you decide?
:unsure:
Go to a pistol range local to you, rent said firearms and purchase the ammo and see which one works better for you. Spend some 'little' money finding what works for you as opposed to buying 'big' and maybe not liking it.

Go to a pistol range local to you, rent said firearms and purchase the ammo and see which one works better for you. Spend some 'little' money finding what works for you as opposed to buying 'big' and maybe not liking it.
Well, that would be a blast.

There are shooting ranges around, but none where you can rent firearms sadly.
:cry:

I carry a Raven .25 acp.

I lubricate it heavily with bacon grease. After I empty it, I can throw it at bear and he will stop long enough to sniff it for me to get away.

Sirhr
You're a liar, liar pants on fire. We know you have cannons:)
Actually I may have had at one time a Lilliput .25 acp that rode in my pocket but sadly lost it with my boat and pellet rifle.

Have you ever reloaded .357 sig?
I'm not saying it cant be done, but it has a very short neck and headspaces off the shoulder, not the case mouth, so, be cautious.
You're in Germany, buy a Korth .357 mag.

I've been looking into this xten from sig. 15 rounds of 10mm in the same size as my x5 would be awesome.

Last edited:
Nope, but I´m reloading now for 20ish years AND I have watched Youtube-videos about it, so ...
:p
Doesn't mean you're aware of potential issues with reloading that particular cartridge.
Have at it bro. Buy the pistol that you will have trouble finding brass and ammo for.
I have niche cartridges as well, but don't carry them to protect myself from critters.