• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Which broadhead do you use for Whitetails?

CPEC0402

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Indiana
I usually use slick tricks, but thinking about trying the rage 2 out just to see how it does. Seems like people either love or hate the rage, so I'm gonna try in out for myself. What's everyone else using?

Re: Which broadhead do you use for Whitetails?

Been using G5's for a couple years, Real good luck with them.

Good old 100gr Thunderhead. Work perfectly, every time. I tried expandables for two years and regret every shot I ever took with them.

Yeah polter I really liked the solid steel and cut on contact construction of the Montecs, but the Slick Tricks just seemed to fly better for me.

I use the razor tricks, they are made by the same guy that makes the slick tricks. The blades come all the way out front instead of having a chisel point.

100gr Muzzy 3 blades! The very best there is for any game.....

125gr Crimson Talons here. Every shot I've made with those things on an animal resulted in either DRT or dead within 20 yds. I won't use anything else. There are a lot of good broadheads out there though. Pick one that shoots straight with your rig and roll with it.

Chad

Wac'em 4 blade 100gr or Muzzy 4 blade 90Gr. haven't lost a deer yet with them. I hate the Rage 2 or 3 blade broadheads, like you said either you love them or hate them and I hate them.

im a bit of a broadhead whore.

current bow is set up for 125g so this year going with montec's and the Striker Mags i really like these heads they are Big and cut big holes

also have some slick trick mags, might order the grizztricks as well.

not a real big mechanical i know they work and ive cut big holes in deer via rage 2 blades, i just feel more confident with a big ole broadhead hanging off my arrow

I use Muzzy 100gr and used NAP Thunderheads before that.

Wow. No love for the rage broadheads. I used them last year and dropped three with great effect. What's the negative from those that hate them?

I use Muzzy 3-blade 125s for deer, Muzzy 100s w/one of those sheet-metal stars behind it for Turkeys, and target point w/star for tree rats....

Bill

Wow, a lot of different BH's being used out there... But it seems like the majority are using a fixed blade head. Personally, I don't think it really matters what head you use as long as it's razor sharp and placed properly in the kill zone.

4 blade Muzzy is as tough as the come. They will not come apart on impact like some heads I've shot. They fly as well as any also.

Using 85 gr. Grim Reaper Razortips (Mechanical) You really do watch em drop.

I used a G5 Striker 100gr on my Doe Mule Deer and it broke through BOTH shoulders, double-lung shot, and was a 80% pass through with the fletching section broke off!

I used a Grim Reaper Razortip on my Doe Antelope at 60 yards quartering away and it did a complete pass through and hit the ground 20 feet behind her!!! ARPredatorhunter will attest to that shot and the damage it caused......

I used 100gr NAP spitfires for 9 yrs with great results until last year. I switched to G5 Strikers and dont think that I will change as long as I can get them! They fly great with my setup and kill like a BFH on a fly! I also like that they have replaceable blades, cut on contact and are very strong.

100 grain Tri-Loc or 100 grain Thunder Head, almost same/same

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CPEC0402</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually use slick tricks, but thinking about trying the rage 2 out just to see how it does. Seems like people either love or hate the rage, so I'm gonna try in out for myself. What's everyone else using? </div></div>

All the Rage, baby. The 2 and 3 blade are awesome. I use the 2 blades, and several hunting buddies use the 3 blades. I had been using the Steel Force serated 4 blades, but the blades break when you hit hard bone. I use the plain ol Muzzy 2 blade for my recurve, but I haven't used it in years. I have the 3 blade NAP as my "shoot anything else" broad head (armadillo's, squirells, pigs, etc). The Rage is an awesome broad head, and will have massive entry and exit wounds.

100gr Rage right now but if I don't like them I am going back to Thunderhead PRO 100's.

3 Blade muzzies. But no matter how sharp your blades are, you aren't going to puncture 2 shoulders. I learned that the hard way

Muzzy 3 blade, can't remember if they are 75 or 85 grain off the top of my head right now though.

Last deer I took with a bow, I used a Simmons Land Shark 160gr. Can't find 160's on their website now though. Wasn't throwing them with traditional tackle. Was a bowtech Liberty and carbons, everyone asked wtf.

I have proof that my G5 Striker went through BOTH shoulders of my Mule Deer Doe this year.........you CAN'T tell me that a Whitetail is stronger than a Mule Deer!

125 Thunderheads out of Crossbow
100 gr Muzzy's out of Matthews

2008 black Bear Hunt, didn't go far!!!!!!
2lik41h.jpg

rage 3 blade for me. worked great on a buck last year. shoots the same poi as my target tips.

Damn, I figured there'd be more ppl shooting slick tricks out there. Looks like Muzzy is the most popular brand so far. Do all of your broadheads shoot the same poi as your field points? I had to do some Broad Head tuning w/my bow to get them to shoot the same.

my bowtech does not like the fixed blades. poi varied as much as 18 inches @20 yards.i tried tuning them with poor results. switched to rage and they shoot great. in 30 years of shooting archery i've never had such a fussy bow.

For whitetails I like spitfires. Never had a failure, and they're not fussy. For bigger stuff I use nap nitrons, small compact head and they're easy to tune out to 60 yards. Slick tricks, muzzys, NAP, etc....they all do the job...like someone said, shot placement and sharp blades. A good bow tune will help with the fixed blades.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CPEC0402</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, I figured there'd be more ppl shooting slick tricks out there. Looks like Muzzy is the most popular brand so far. Do all of your broadheads shoot the same poi as your field points? I had to do some Broad Head tuning w/my bow to get them to shoot the same. </div></div>

I fletch my own arrows and tune each broadhead to the vanes on the arrow its mounted on. If you shoot aluminum arrows its easy enough to do because you can just heat the insert till the glue melts a bit and you can spin the broadhead to match. If you shoot carbons or graphite I'd suggest having the arrows fletched to match.

Once tuned, I have not noticed a difference in POI

Muzzy 100's for me!! Never had a problem, cant switch with a winning combination.

Spitfire 125s. My dad was one of the first recorded 25 people who took a whitetail with the old 2 blade spitfires. Love them and dont have a regret 1 for shooting them. Liek all bow shots its placement that is the biggest factor. As long as its sharp and you get through the rib cage/shoulder it wont matter. Also the spitfire make a nasty pop when it hits an animal. I personally love the sound.

check out the wasp jak hammer 1 1/4 or 1 3/4 heads they have some of the strongest blades out there..my bear was shot on 9-11-09 at 15 yards going dead away the head 1 1/4 entered just over the rear quarter and exited at the base of the throat bear went 22 yards yes placement is key but these heads have not failed on over 40 big game animals. plus they can be had for less money

If I were not already set-up and shooting Grim Reapers, I would be shooting Slick Tricks. Its a very knarley fixed head and packs quite a punch for the short compact heads available. I blew a clean hole through a 3/4" piece of plywood at 25 yards with a 60 lb bow. I just prefered the larger cutting diameter Reaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CPEC0402</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, I figured there'd be more ppl shooting slick tricks out there. Looks like Muzzy is the most popular brand so far. Do all of your broadheads shoot the same poi as your field points? I had to do some Broad Head tuning w/my bow to get them to shoot the same. </div></div>

Well, I did not see anything for Magnus, so here my 2cents. I took my first deer last year, and a hog the next morning, both were double lung shots and neither went 20 yards. The dear was only 20 yards and the hog was about 45, Magnus Stinger Buzz cuts worked for me. I have the G5's, but they whistle going down range with my set up, I have tried everything from rotating my knock, spin testing, lined put he fletch's with the broadhead.... no luck.

I shot a Huge doe field dressed at 148lbs. a ground level double lung shot no blood but, I can understand since there was no high to low so the whole chest cavity had to fill with blood before there was a blood trail and she died before she bled out at all within 70 yards. I shot a really nice P&Y buck this time there was a high to low hole and still no blood and died within 40 yards of the stand. Now I know these deer died pretty close to where they were shot but I lost some confidence in the lack of blood from the Buzzcuts. This is my only complaint about them. They flew great and Magnus has an excellent warranty. I believe the hole made by the 2 blades just closes up too soon from flesh and fatty tissues and the blood just doesn't poor out to give the warm and fuzzy feeling that I get from the Grim Reapers and the doe I shot last year with them it looked like a Murder scene in the woods. I say shoot what you have the most confidence in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crooks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I did not see anything for Magnus, so here my 2cents. I took my first deer last year, and a hog the next morning, both were double lung shots and neither went 20 yards. The dear was only 20 yards and the hog was about 45, Magnus Stinger Buzz cuts worked for me. I have the G5's, but they whistle going down range with my set up, I have tried everything from rotating my knock, spin testing, lined put he fletch's with the broadhead.... no luck. </div></div>

100 grain rockets, with bacon skinner blades. they are really close in poi to my field tips. going to try the 75 grain to see what they are like

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot a Huge doe field dressed at 148lbs. a ground level double lung shot no blood but, I can understand since there was no high to low so the whole chest cavity had to fill with blood before there was a blood trail and she died before she bled out at all within 70 yards. I shot a really nice P&Y buck this time there was a high to low hole and still no blood and died within 40 yards of the stand. Now I know these deer died pretty close to where they were shot but I lost some confidence in the lack of blood from the Buzzcuts. This is my only complaint about them. They flew great and Magnus has an excellent warranty. I believe the hole made by the 2 blades just closes up too soon from flesh and fatty tissues and the blood just doesn't poor out to give the warm and fuzzy feeling that I get from the Grim Reapers and the doe I shot last year with them it looked like a Murder scene in the woods. I say shoot what you have the most confidence in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crooks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I did not see anything for Magnus, so here my 2cents. I took my first deer last year, and a hog the next morning, both were double lung shots and neither went 20 yards. The dear was only 20 yards and the hog was about 45, Magnus Stinger Buzz cuts worked for me. I have the G5's, but they whistle going down range with my set up, I have tried everything from rotating my knock, spin testing, lined put he fletch's with the broadhead.... no luck. </div></div> </div></div>

If you shoot high through the chest with archery, you'll get little to no blood. Your best bet for a good trail is an under the shoulder blade double-lung. I agree 2-blades close up faster, I have had much better results with 3 blades.

I also no longer shoot deer in the heart with archery tackle. The lungs vent the blood out much better. A few years ago I shot a 10-pt straight through the center of the heart, he went nearly 200 yards at a dead run (only took a few seconds) without leaving a drop of blood behind.

I use a 3 bladed Rage.... Or my 2009 International Pro Star semi-truck. They both do a fine job!