• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which budget 700 for out past 600?

ssteve

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2011
Looking to purchase a 700 for hunting and target work. Im not concerned with weight at all, just the mechanics and functionality of the rifle. I plan on slowly building it up over time and would like to be able to take small and medium sized game out past 600, but 90%+ will be bench work. It will be chambered in a .308 and the optic will be a leupold vx3 in 4.5-14x40. First mod will be a stock and I would like to keep the initial purchase of the gun under $700(before dros and tax). theres so many options, Im kind of lost in what would be the best option for me considering I have no intentions on keeping the stock.

Re: which budget 700 for out past 600?

The search button is your friend ^^^ upper right. This is probably one of the most common topics discussed. The Remington 700 SPS Tactical should work really well for you.

I'm new to the long range thing too. I also started out with an SPS Tactical, although you wouldn't recognize it as such now.

Really, if yours shoots anything like mine did, in stock form, you won't HAVE to do anything to it but add glass. Then you can upgrade to fit your needs.

Best bet is, as mentioned above, do a search. this question has been asked a 1000 times over, including by me over a year ago.

I ended up with the SPS Varmint 26" HB .308. has been an EXCELLENT shooting rifle out of the box. At first, even though everyone was telling me the stock sucked, I liked it. HOWEVER, now that I have alot of range time with it, it DOES suck. After weighing my options, I have decided on going with a B&C:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-553/*NEW!-Bell-%26-Carlson/Detail

For the money, is tough to beat.

I was looking for the same thing, and decided on a Remington 700 Varmint Stainless Fluted (.308, 26" heavy barrel), item #84345:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-varmint-sf.aspx

A quick search on GunBroker for 84345 shows that one can be had new for about $720. If you're going out well past 600 yards, you might want to steer clear of the 20" models like the SPS tactical or aac. Good luck,

John

SPS AAC, threaded and 1:10. hard to beat for 600.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you're going out well past 600 yards, you might want to steer clear of the 20" models like the SPS tactical or aac. Good luck,

John </div></div>

I disagree, I have seen plenty of 20" setups shoot past 600 yards with great results. Is it the "best" choice for shooting 1000yards, no, I would vote for a 26" barrel for maximum velocity, but it will do just fine. Also, if he ever decides to hunt with it he will be vary glad he has a 20" bbl rather than a 26" bbl.

the SPS AAC are more $ than the regular SPS because of that threaded barrel. sps is good cuz its like anywhere from 550-650 bucks.

I am also of the opinion that the 20" barrel is fine. I shoot groups in the 5's on a calm day at 850. I need to change the load to get to 1000 but it won't be an issue. I also agree that the B&C medalist is hard to beat. I was not a fan of the original stock but after the change the rifle really came to life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to purchase a 700 for hunting and target work. Im not concerned with weight at all, just the mechanics and functionality of the rifle. I plan on slowly building it up over time and would like to be able to take small and medium sized game out past 600, but 90%+ will be bench work. It will be chambered in a .308 and the optic will be a leupold vx3 in 4.5-14x40. First mod will be a stock and I would like to keep the initial purchase of the gun under $700(before dros and tax). theres so many options, Im kind of lost in what would be the best option for me considering I have no intentions on keeping the stock. </div></div>

Remington 700 SPS-T or SPS Tactical AAC-SD.

The AAC-SD is the rifle I chose for our "Budget Precision" build series. The first stage of the build should be up in the next couple of days depending on the weather. (I shoot in the rain, but it's hell on video cameras.)

http://www.8541tactical.com/home.php