• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Which "carry" handgun to choose

afine10

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2012
I am looking for a carry handgun and have narrowed it down to several options: Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Kimber Ultra TLE II, Colt Defender in .45 ACP, and Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in .40 S&W. I have shot a Kimber Pro carry and really liked it, and I own a Glock 22 and like it, but it's too big to carry. I am a huge fan of the 1911 style and feel, but the M&P Shield has been getting a lot of praise. Which one would y'all choose and why? Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Re: Which "carry" handgun to choose

If I were a "huge fan" of 1911-pattern pistols, I'd surely choose one.

Don't think I'd get the shield, as they're difficult to get right now, and are largely unproven still. Probably a good piece, but no real data yet.

glock 27 so you can use your 22 mags as back up mags. stick with same trigger, same feel just a smaller gun

If you really like the 1911 platform check out the Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator. It has the fullsize grip, but a 4 inch barrel.

I have a Lightweight Operator that I carry for duty use and have had zero problems with it.

Of those on your list I would opt for a Colt Defender. I just picked up a Colt New Agent that is going to need some upgrades like standard safety and a beaver tail grip safety which I believe the Defender comes with.

coltnewagent45acpbywolf.jpg

Colt New Agent with Sites.

http://www.impactguns.com/colt-new-agent-xs-45acp-blue-3in-7-round-mag-o7810dxs-098289042323.aspx

I have a M&P Shield in .40 S&W and it is the same size as the New Agent but DA only. The trigger pull is a bear to get used to.

Colt also offers a New Agent with Sites but I hear it is a Limited Production gun with a max of 500 and they are on back order.

As for the Kimbers I spoke with a gun smith the other day and he told me to steer clear of the LW Aluminum frames on the Carry Models.

Karsten

I have a Springfield Armory TRP that I think is the best .45 I have ever owned. Having said that I find myself not carrying it concealed alot because of size and weight. A pistol you won't carry does little to no good except as a nightstand pistol and range pistol. I'm seriously considering going to the Springfield Armory XD-S as my primary carry pistol. Super small, lightweight and still shoots the .45 acp. Check it out. Great reviews.

I have an XD-S and it an awesome carry gun. Extremely slim and light weight. Add the 7 round mag, and you've got 8 rounds of .45acp in a very concealable, easy shooting package. I also have a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator, which is awesome, but I carry the XD-S all the time.

Thank y'all for all the input so far. I'll look at the Springfield XD-S, I've also shot a XD9 subcompact and really liked it too, but I want the bigger round (at least a .40 S&W). How about the Springfield Loaded Micro Compact? Any thoughts?

I have 2 kimbers and a M&P compact. I really like to carry my M&P and I am planning on getting a shild. The 1911 pistols are great but for a CCW the shild is tougher,rust resistant, less magazine dependant,and has no exposed hammer or safety to snag. I would also consider the single stack XD, glock 36 or 30, or Springfield micro for another 1911.

I would look at the micro compact. I have a emp that I have been very satisfied with.

I'll be looking throughout the next several weeks it sounds like. I was just shown an H&K P30 and HK45 Compact yesterday, so it's looking like this is going to be a tough choice. Thank y'all again.

Since you have a G22, the G23 or G27 is a good option. Already have mags and ammo that will work with that. Have tried the EMP, and a few other 1911 and I am back to my G23. One that you did not have in the list is a Sig 1911. Sig makes a great 1911 in a compact and ultra version. My compact has been flawless since day one, feeding several different types of ammo. One thing that I did not care for on the EMP is the ambi safety. It kept getting bumped and I would check my weapon in the holster and the thumb safety would be off. I am a big fan of single side safety on the 1911. Hope that helps. Good luck choosing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karsten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As for the Kimbers I spoke with a gun smith the other day and he told me to steer clear of the LW Aluminum frames on the Carry Models.

Karsten </div></div>

Other than no +p and lower total round count, what is the drawback of a lightweight 1911? I carry steel all day, but only to let my wife have the aluminum. Who needs a +p .45 anyway, 230 gr fmj is plenty. Why not go lighter? If I want to shoot more than 10,000 rds, it will be with a fullsize anyway.

Honestly...When I saw the Kimber my 1st through was it had been carried a lot...Not the case it was a 0ne year PD gun and they were all going to get upgraded.

The gun just felt sloppy, safety, trigger, hammer were all loose and the gun had less than a 1000-2000 rounds. The GS was having to replace all the small parts.

He is not impressed with the Kimber quality, parts or fit and lack of finish.

1st Gen Kimber's were said to be one of the best and all I have heard is they have gone down hill.

What do I know...I own 4 1911's SA and now 2 Colts....Colt's are both going to be needing some work to make them user friendly.

Karsten

Choose the one that you will practice with and that you will use for other than just a carry gun. And stay away from the tourist-trap ultra-compacts: They don't shoot well; they don't balance well; they don't digest a wide variety of ammo well; and they don't carry well.

I had the Kimber Ultra Carry and loved it. Still kick myself for selling it.

The 1911 is a great full size gun, but I don't have confidence in it for CCW. Unreliable feeding of hollow points and snappy recoil is problematic in light-weight shorter versions.
The HK45c has the same controls as a 1911 and reliability of pastic; it is a bit on the large side.

I've owned an carried a few differnt style 1911's from various manufacturers. HOWEVER, when it comes to daily carry its a Glock that goes with me.
Given the size your considering I think you really should look into a Glock 23 or 27 as has been mentioned. BUT if you want to stay in the 45acp side of things the 36 is a nice option as well. The thing thats nice about the Glocks is they'r hard as heck to break, will eat anything and DONT need to be babied. AS well as the fact that you don't need to make sure its coated well to resist rust and assure positive function in any/all conditions.
Of course choose what fits you best. I like the M&P's as well and they do have a slight bit more comfortable grip but I like the capacity of the Glocks better.

Carry the one you shoot best as long as it's reliable.

2 DWs 2 STIs 3kimbers
all 1911s most are 4.25 bobbed.

Only carry 1911s had 1 hiccup on a dw but that has been fixed since.
Kimber solo is rather nice just have to get used to the pull.

Afine,

As has been somewhat stated above, it's fit. Think of getting a pair of running shoes. Would you get some wingtip loafers to train for a marathon? Likely not. You get what fits and what is comfortable to use time and time again.

The decision on what sidearm to carry should be no different. In fact, I hope a LOT more thought goes into it than that of shoes.

Get not only what you will carry, but one with which you will take out and practice. One you'll shoot well. One that you can operate, understand and manipulate.

What works for me, may not work for you. I know what I like through 25 years of buying/trading/breaking/shooting/selling and re-buying. Have an open mind, allow yourself to like something not on your original list.

Best of luck!

-G45

of the ones you mentioned i would choose the shield, as long as this weapons primary concern is for ccw. I have heard a ton of good things about this gun in terms of reliability and functionality.

I would also consider the glock 23 if you want a smaller 40, or the the G30 for 45.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned an carried a few differnt style 1911's from various manufacturers. HOWEVER, when it comes to daily carry its a Glock that goes with me.
Given the size your considering I think you really should look into a Glock 23 or 27 as has been mentioned. BUT if you want to stay in the 45acp side of things the 36 is a nice option as well. The thing thats nice about the Glocks is they'r hard as heck to break, will eat anything and DONT need to be babied. AS well as the fact that you don't need to make sure its coated well to resist rust and assure positive function in any/all conditions.
Of course choose what fits you best. I like the M&P's as well and they do have a slight bit more comfortable grip but I like the capacity of the Glocks better. </div></div>

^This. If you shoot Glocks well, then I don't see any better option than the Glock 23. It's hard to beat 13+1 rounds of stout 40 S&W rounds in a concealable, compact package. Glock 23 is my carry gun: Heinie sights, 25 cent trigger job, and a little bit of grip tape.

I carry a Shield in 9mm and love it. It's very slim and lightwieght. I chose the Shield because I found myself not carrying sometimes because I like to wear t-shirts. The Shield easily conceals under any clothing I wear, it was also $350 shipped!

A plug for the P220, either full sized or compact, in SAS. DA/SA is IMHO an advantage for a carry gun.

Thank y'all for this input. I just don't like the idea of carrying the Glock because of the lack of safety. Should that be something to worry about? I have been looking at all of them and the Sig p226 and p229 came into my options. I have been thinking about a Sig for a while, but heard that these 2 are not too easy to conceal. Do any of you have any experience with carrying a Sig p226 or p229?

Most S&W M&P you find in the gun store have no safeties. Much like the glocks. FWIW I will say this though, I was told not to shoot +P+ in my M&P. Picked up a sweet little Kahr T9 yesterday for the wife. She wanted a carry gun. Single stack, 8 round 9mm. Again, no safety. Going break it in tomorrow!

you do realize the sigs dont have a safety either right? A safety is, to me and many others, a huge negative in a personel defense gun you carry on you. if you need your gun fast the last thing you want to have to think about is flipping around with a little switch. practice will overcome any discomfort you have in using a gun without a safety. glocks do have safetys, they wont ever go off unless you mess up yourself and pull the trigger at the wrong time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just don't like the idea of carrying the Glock because of the lack of safety. Should that be something to worry about? </div></div>

It should not as you already have a g22 and like it.
Keeping one's finger off the trigger until on target is universal with any firearm.
I too have been contimplating using a 1911 style for carry (owns many Glocks, including g27) but getting a 4in-ish barrel
and compact grip I think is ideal.
The slim grip compared to a g27 is a plus for possible printing.
The G27 is hard to get a hold of for all fingers and limpwristing brings FTL, FTE.

Glocks famed reliability is great, but if they offered a single stack frame width, that would convert many
detractors.

My druthers are a Springfield lightwieght champion after all this.
Can a gunsmith even cut down the grip from full size to compact?

A Glock 23 would seem, to me atleast, the perfect choice for you since you already have a model 22.

I have a Kimber and love the Ultra Carry. I will someday pick up a Super Carry Pro, but until then I carry a Springfield XDS. They are pretty sweet single stack 45's.

A nice 1911 is certainly a useful item for things that go bump in the night but as a carry gun.... The glock 27 has recoil that is too much for many including me. If you want a 1911 get one but my vote on the carry is a g26.

I'd go single stack, becuase I find double stack guns difficult to coneal. My vote would be for the Colt Defender or M&P shield.

I too love my Springer Micro Compact....

If I was going to shoot someone, I'd hope that -if they were armed- they had a safety on their weapon and it'd be an extra bonus if they happened to get nervous and/or were poorly trained so that they fumbled for an extra second. Might just save my carcass.

G19...I can't get away from it, used it to much in the past. I've tried G26 but the sight radius makes my eyes crossed. I'm too stuck in my ways I guess.

I had carried the S&W bodyguard .380, for a long time. The bodyguard is small enough to carry in your pocket.
Now, the Springfield XDs is my choice. The XDs is larger but the accuracy is great and it is a .45, just need a IWB holster a longer shirt for concealment.

I think as long as it says "Ultra" or something similar in the name, you'll be good to go. Super, Special Forces, Teams, etc. - not good enough. Needs to be on par with Ultra.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B4forever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a Shield in 9mm and love it. It's very slim and lightwieght. I chose the Shield because I found myself not carrying sometimes because I like to wear t-shirts. The Shield easily conceals under any clothing I wear, it was also $350 shipped! </div></div>

I was in the same boat, wasn't carrying because I only had a full sized pistol. When I couldn't source a Shield to hold (I have to hold prior to purchase) I purchased a Kahr CW9. I am happy with it.

I have carried 1911s for years and know them well. I tried for 2 years to shoot Glocks well and never liked the 22 degree grip angle. If you like the ergo dynamics of the 1911 you may do well with an M&Pc. It has been my experience that the M&P fell very 1911ish and with an Axis trigger are easy to shoot well. This may be a lighter, cheaper, and more concealable option for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glocks famed reliability is great, but if they offered a single stack frame width, that would convert many detractors. </div></div>

They tried that...the Glock 36.

It was pretty much a "fail", and is the black sheep of the Glock family, right there with the 45GAP models.

i ditched my XD-s for a sig P938. a bit smaller and easier to carry, and 7+1.

picked one up for the ol' lady as well today.

After all the issues that I have seen first hand from almost every single Kimber that I have had dealings with, I would give them a WIDE berth and go with something else.

Kimber is one of those companies where the product is largely hit-or-miss. They like to use their own patterned parts as opposed to using standard patterned stuff which makes them either run like a clock if everything else is perfect or just plain not work and become an insufferable mess.

For a small EDC, I chose to buy an XD40SC, Glock 33 and Ruger LC9... I am also looking quite hard at the S&W Shield in 9mm right now as well.

I have a shield and love it. Have been shooting it alot and not one problem yet. And it carries really well.

Shield all the way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glocks famed reliability is great, but if they offered a single stack frame width, that would convert many detractors. </div></div>

They tried that...the Glock 36.

It was pretty much a "fail", and is the black sheep of the Glock family, right there with the 45GAP models.
</div></div>

yup. My 36 went back to glock twice then to the pawn shop when it still wasnt fixed. Failure to extract 1 out of 200 rounds with a variety of factory ammunition. YMMV