• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which M1A?

FreedomXforAll

Private
Minuteman
Hello all,
Recently I have spent some time looking into m14/m1a rifles, and was wondering which brand would be better in the long run. I've narrowed it down to Poly Tech or Springfield (if there are any others that you prefer, please let me know!) Being 16 price is also a factor. If there are any long distance performance differences that should be considered I would like to hear about them.

Thanks

Re: Which M1A?

Pricey, but one of the best is LRB Arms. Fulton also makes a decent rifle. I have 2 Springers, and I have not had an issue. But some of their parts have been known to take a dump. Course, when I was 16 I'd be hard pressed to buy an airsoft...

best bang for the buck would be to try and find a used clint fowler built m1a...they are out they and can fetch around 2k+ which is dirt cheap considering what was done to the gun and the 1+ year wait time now, when you take into consideration a new supermatch from s/a is around 3k with a krieger 2k+ for a used custom gun is a deal...krieger, double lug, bedded etc..
not mine but this is what you should try to get if you have the money
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168770061

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreedomXforAll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,
Recently I have spent some time looking into m14/m1a rifles, and was wondering which brand would be better in the long run. I've narrowed it down to Poly Tech or Springfield (if there are any others that you prefer, please let me know!) <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Being 16 price is also a factor.</span></span> If there are any long distance performance differences that should be considered I would like to hear about them.

Thanks </div></div>

Well, since you can't legally own an M1A (or any long gun) in TX for another 2 years (you must be 18), keep saving your money and see what options are available in a few years. The market changes pretty frequently and the best bang for the buck today might not necessailry be the same in a year or more.

Springfield Super Match:

M1A%20_1_.jpg

Well, I like the loaded + walnut stock springfield models, however the walnut stock is bulky as hell.

If you want to learn to shoot 308 you're better off getting a bolt gun though. Just my 2cents.

Since you're 16, I'd recommend going to a CMP match (http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi?clubMembership=OPEN&state=TX) and ask around. The good news is that I think you'll find a LOT of people that are extremely eager to help out a new shooter and you just might find more than a few folks that are happy to let you shoot their rifles and see what you think.

Also, you'll receive some of the best marksmanship training on the planet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreedomXforAll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Being 16 price is also a factor.</div></div>

Go for a Springfield now, and you can sell it and buy a Fulton Armory later when you have greater earnings.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

But keep a few things in mind.

1. 7.62 x 61 ammo is generally at least TWICE as expensive as 5.56, thus limiting the number of rounds you can fire in practice, and thus limiting the development of your skills.

2. A really accurate M14 / M1A costs 2500 to 3500 (as compared to a base price of about 1500). But a really accurate AR10 is 2K to 3K depending on brand, etc. And a really accurate AR15 is 1500 to 2K. Or a good enough .308 bolt gun is under 1K. So again, your budget would tend to point you away from the M14.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If there are any long distance performance differences that should be considered I would like to hear about them.
</div></div>

You know that with most ammo the .308 goes subsonic between 800 yds and 1000 yds, depending on atmospheric conditions right? Add 200 yds to that with the .300 win mag. Add 500 yds to that with the .338 Lapua. For punching paper you can take the 5.56 out to 1000 yards successfully and much less expensively. So you are really not getting better performance / more distance by going .308 instead of .223. In the M14 you are getting less accuracy for a given price. These things would tend to point you away from the M14 and toward an accurate AR15.

I'd stay away from the Poly Tech M1A variant. The first few years of production produced rifles with problems. As such you never know what you are getting. I'd get a loaded SA M1A. They have a lifetime guarentee and their customer service is good.

If you are going to get an m1a and want it to be accurate to start at least go with a national match gun. I made the mistake of getting a sa loaded from a friend I did get a deal on the gun, but I have yet to get it too shoot consitently how I would like it too or should. For me to upgrade the rifle to the specs I would like it to be at I would have to pay more than what the national match would have been to start with. Unfortunately I like to tinker and this gun will shoot eventually I just need to dump another 800 dollars into it.

The Springfiled offerings are the best "bang for the buck" currently. With the lifetime warranty--which follows the gun and not the original owner--it's hard to beat 'em. Now if you're looking for a rock solid rifle that will perform, take your time and source all USGI components for as much of the rifle as you can. This route will be more expensive, but if you plan to hold on to the rifle for years, it will be worth it. The only USGI part that cannot be had is the receiver. I would reccomend a Criterion barrel for the cost savings compared to something like a Krieger or Obermeyer.

The Springfield receivers are decent. The ones in serial numbers below about 100,000 tend to be more "in spec" than the current ones. This is truly apparent if you plan to mount optics as the scope mount integrity for most offerings is dependent upon the receiver being perfectly in spec. The Polytech receivers are very nice, and generally are known to be in spec--more so than most newer Springfield receivers. The Polytech receivers are forged, which is a big plus. The Sprinfields are cast steel.

I would advise you shy away from a complete Polytech rifle as the barrels tend to stretch after many rounds which leads to your headspace going out of spec. A Polytech receiver, built with all USGI parts in serviceable condition with a Criterion barrel will give you many, many years of solid service. If it was my first M1A, and I had it to do over, this is probably the route I would take. But, if you're like me and don't want to wait for the parts to pop up and wait for a competent builder to assemble your rifle (usually takes many months for the reputable guys like Ted Brown, SEI, Art Luppino, Ol Hook Boutin, etc), then plop your money down on a used Springfield M1A in excellent condition and shoot it till the barrel is toast!

for what its worth, i bought a m1a loaded from springer that ran 1-1.5 moa easy, so for 1500 a decent rifle can be had. its my opinion that accuracy in m1a's is largely a function of stock fit,(try different one if groups suck) and shimming the gas block if its not tight. dont buy the ar-10 cool aid.