• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which plate carrier & Plates are good quality not too heavy or expensive?

problemchild

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
I have read about all the different plates. weights and pros/cons. Same goes for the carriers. I have no idea which to buy.
Does anyone make a plate that can take multiple hits like AR500 of 855/7.62 that doesn't weigh as much as steel for the cost or near cost of steel?
Which carriers are best for a moderate cost?

This is something that will sit in the closet and be used only during a TEOTWAWKI moment. I am an X-large size 6' 3" 220lbs

Are you planning on being a moving target? I don't think any plates short of actual AR500 will take near as many impacts as an AR500 target shoved info the carrier.

Are you planning on being a moving target? I don't think any plates short of actual AR500 will take near as many impacts as an AR500 target shoved info the carrier.

I cant plan for the reasons I stated above. Maybe moving maybe not. The things I asked for still apply if they exist.

Don't wait too long as this deal wont last long. I highly recommend TYR tactical's gear (among other mfgrs as well), I use a good deal of their gear on the two way range and have no complaints.

2ea level IV plates for $294.06 is an incredible deal.
CLOSEOUT Two Level IV Stand Alone ESAPI Plates [SET] | TYR Tactical - Plate Carrier, Body Armor, Tactical Gear, Tactical Armor

Any of the plate carriers on their sale page is also good to go, pick one that fits your needs and put those plates in and you'll be GTG.

Don't wait too long as this deal wont last long. I highly recommend TYR tactical's gear (among other mfgrs as well), I use a good deal of their gear on the two way range and have no complaints.

CLOSEOUT Two Level IV Stand Alone ESAPI Plates [SET] | TYR Tactical - Plate Carrier, Body Armor, Tactical Gear, Tactical Armor

Any of the plate carriers on their sale page is also good to go, pick one that fits your needs and put those plates in and you'll be GTG.

Is it safe to buy a NON-certified plate and one that is one click back in ratings? (.04 vs .06)

Is it safe to buy a NON-certified plate and one that is one click back in ratings? (.04 vs .06)

What the statement on the webpage states is that it was tested to NIJ standards (some of which are listed) but apparently not tested at one of the NIJ laboratories, hence the statement of it not being NIJ certified.

I have some 1/4" Premium AR500 chest plates. And we could let them got for $99 a set of two. And I will ship them.

They are a standard 10x12 body armor cutout. Come painted black.

To the OP, steel plates are usually thinner and cheaper but heavier. Ceramic plates come in many different configurations and generally the lighter and more protective they are, the more expensive they get. You should be able to get a decent carrier, a pair of Level III ceramic plates and IIIa soft panel backings for just under $1000. Level IV plates can be significantly more heavy at the same price point. IIIa panels are often overlooked but sometimes required for certain plates. Personally I think it's much safer and peace of mind having a IIIa soft layer between my skin and a plate that can spall, deform and shatter.

Plates and a plate carrier will change how you shoulder your rifle, also how you obtain your two hand hold on a pistol, wider plates are not always better. I have a 42" chest and even wider shoulders. I wear a Lg shirt, but wear a medium plate very comfortably, lg plates adversely affect using a rifle and make a good locked elbow use of my hand gun difficult to impossible. 90% of people when fit properly use plates that are one size smaller than their shirt. Make some contacts with people in your area and try shooting with plates in Lg and XL and see what works best for you before spending money on them.

I'm going to stay away from the steel vs ceramic issue

I am six feet and 190 lbs, 44 inch chest and 34 inch waist. I run 10" by 13" plates front and rear in an SKD PIG Plate Carrier. It is comfortable and cooler in hot weather thanks to the dual vertical channels in the back panel. Not the cheapest at $325.00 but the design, fit and build quality are awesome. SKD's customer service is exceptional as well. Check out the reviews on their website.

Last edited:
As far as cost effective armor it doesnt get much cheaper than AR500 plates, id recommend getting them sprayed with something like line-x to help prevent spalling in the event you ever were to take hits to the plate.

I really like DKX plates, super light weight and pretty impressive performance.

DKX Armor - Advanced Manufacturing of Body Armor

I just picked up the high-speed gear woosachA plate carrier. I am 6'3" and built like a gorilla. In a T-shirt its on the large side, but I chose this carrier to wear over my winter clothes. It was 170 and the shoulder pads were another 20. I have zero problems shooting my m1a and ar's with it on.

A little more info on the Tyr plates, they are Paraclete plates that ARE certified. The info on the website is a bit misleading. I bought several sets. Excellent price for what you get.

Agreed - those boron carbide Paraclete plates are excellent and while a bit dated, used to run over $1000 each about 7-8 years ago, IIRC. Definitely a good value.

Dude this is the best advice you will recieve on this subject unless someone just gives you a Loaded Rack. These systems are used across the Globe daily by guys not waiting for shit to happen but making it happen. Jason stands behind everything he makes and with the current sale going on, you will not be getting in one cheaper!

Do E-Sapi need to be run with 3a soft or are they stand-alone?

Dude this is the best advice you will recieve on this subject unless someone just gives you a Loaded Rack. These systems are used across the Globe daily by guys not waiting for shit to happen but making it happen. Jason stands behind everything he makes and with the current sale going on, you will not be getting in one cheaper!

For what you are describing your needs are for body armor I would you suggest you contact AR500armor.com they have three different models of carrier all for their AR500 plates that have been coated to absorb / deflect spall. While not as lightweight as some of the synthetic and or ceramic offerings out there they do work and sounds like if life gets to the point when you have to don armor a few ounces are not going to be noticed. Everyday wear and for long periods of time can and will test your metal as to your resolve to wear armor all the time and can justify spending the extra money but if this is an "Oh Shit" carrier save your money get AR500 and spend that savings on training and skills building to avoid catching rounds in the chest. Good luck on your hunt and let us know what and why you went the way you did.

If you're not in too much of a hurry, you might want to wait for these: Grey Ghost Gear Armor Plates - Sneak Peak - Soldier Systems Daily

Other than that, TYR is very high quality gear, and even if their plates were not tested by NIJ, by the company's reputation and my experience with them, I'd have no issue with them. Another great option is Velocity Systems. Yeah, they're not the cheapest, but they are regarded as one of the top tier in quality, and I run their Lvl III / IV ICW plate backers plates in my First Spear carrier.

Plate carriers are a matter of preference. If I was going to do it today, I'd get this: FirstSpear STT Plate Carrier, SKD Exclusive
Seems like it has most of the features of the Strandhogg, which I run and love, but at a lower price point. The 6/12 and tubes systems are really great innovations, in my opinion, and are far superior to standard MOLLE type webbing as well as standard cummerbund options. Another option, which is less expensive, lighter, but lacks many features, is the PlateMINUS from Blue Force Gear. No personal experience with it, but I know a few people that own them and like them.

Quick question, is grey ghost located in Auburn Wa.?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Does anyone know if this offer expired?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I have banshee from shellback tactical get at LA Gear and run AR 500 plates. Hope never to owe them except working out but total kit ran less than $300

I have banshee from shellback tactical get at LA Gear and run AR 500 plates. Hope never to owe them except working out but total kit ran less than $300

I have the exact same setup along with kevlar sleeve spall guards and Helium Whisper doubles for rifle and pistol. Nice, compact, and unobstrusive. Whole thing ran a little over $350. Found the carrier on sale for about $79 IIRC. Look around. Like stated above it rides in my truck when I travel along with a fully stocked FAK. Cheap insurance.

Last edited:
My carrier is a blackhawk, if you're not wearing it every day it's a good deal (mine may have been free), big pockets front and back, lots of molle for stringing stuff on like a hydration pack, quick release in case you fall into a river or, as was their reasoning: if you get shot and your battle buddy doesn't feel like carrying your armor too.

As far as plates go, get some AR500 and some sheets of kevlar, epoxy the kevlar onto the ar500 and spray it with rhinocoat or something like that. Then get some soft level III backers because even if it is multi-hit capable it will still dent with enough force to break ribs.

Total package if you have to buy retail? Probably around $500, but it will be heavy as sin

As far as plates go, get some AR500 and some sheets of kevlar, epoxy the kevlar onto the ar500 and spray it with rhinocoat or something like that. Then get some soft level III backers because even if it is multi-hit capable it will still dent with enough force to break ribs.

I'm not following your logic. Why glue kevlar to the back of the plate when/if you plan on using Lv III backers? It's a bit redundant and a waste of time IMO as most people wouldn't even have a clue what type of kevlar material to use ,let alone where to source it and how to encapsulate it all neatly. It goes without saying, but I see people do it all the time so I will say it again. If your plates are not labeled "stand alone", you need to use them with soft armor backers, period.

it will be heavy as sin

Anything using AR 500 is going to be stupid heavy, it's fucking target metal and we all know how heavy that can be in 1/2 and 3/8 ". This is one of those things that makes zero sense to me. People want a Life saving device but choose the cheapest alternative out there. If you needed a parachute to save your life, would you choose the cheapest one available?

I'm not following your logic. Why glue kevlar to the back of the plate when/if you plan on using Lv III backers? It's a bit redundant and a waste of time IMO as most people wouldn't even have a clue what type of kevlar material to use ,let alone where to source it and how to encapsulate it all neatly. It goes without saying, but I see people do it all the time so I will say it again. If your plates are not labeled "stand alone", you need to use them with soft armor backers, period.

Anything using AR 500 is going to be stupid heavy, it's fucking target metal and we all know how heavy that can be in 1/2 and 3/8 ". This is one of those things that makes zero sense to me. People want a Life saving device but choose the cheapest alternative out there. If you needed a parachute to save your life, would you choose the cheapest one available?

My bad, what I meant was epoxy the kevlar to the FRONT of the plate and then coat to catch spalling, and then put the plate backer behind it as opposed to just a spray on coating which at the point where it's thick enough to truly catch spalling it will need to be unreasonably thick. The kevlar isn't stopping force, just catching the tiny bits of metal before they end up in your face since we can't all have Costa-esque beards to protect ourselves with.

Honestly if he buys it and throws it in his closet to wait for the end of the world chances are his grand-kids are going to use it as target metal in 30 years so I see no sense in buying a ceramic setup which, while it's worth it, as I recall the materials break down over time and it won't be worth much of anything at all in about 8 years which is why there are all those websites that sell 'lightly used' LE ceramic plates because they have to replace them every 5-10 years whether they take rounds or not.

So yeah, sorry the first statement lacked clarity and as for the second one, I guess I'm looking at this as the OP wants a conversation piece and some piece of mind, not anything truly useful or he wouldn't have specified moderate cost.

As far as parachutes go...they are godawful expensive, have you ever priced them? Last time I found a 'cheap' one it was still $1500...sorry, little bit of venting on that one

My bad, what I meant was epoxy the kevlar to the FRONT of the plate and then coat to catch spalling, and then put the plate backer behind it as opposed to just a spray on coating which at the point where it's thick enough to truly catch spalling it will need to be unreasonably thick. The kevlar isn't stopping force, just catching the tiny bits of metal before they end up in your face since we can't all have Costa-esque beards to protect ourselves with.

Again, that makes absolutely ZERO sense about the kevlar.

As far as parachutes go...they are godawful expensive, have you ever priced them? Last time I found a 'cheap' one it was still $1500...sorry, little bit of venting on that one

Yes, I have actually, I've been jumping for a little over 20 years now. I would no more recommend a $1500 parachute system than I would someone strap target metal to themselves in the cheapest nylon carrier they can find. But hey, it's your life , your money and its a free country, just make sure you have someone get video or it didn't happen. :)