• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which quick release mount?

ShhDontMove

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2013
Texas
I'm currently in the process of building a custom rifle and I'm focusing on the scope right now. I've got the scope itself narrowed down to a select few, but when it comes to mounting it I'm unsure. If I want some quality rings I know I'm going with Seekins, I've heard nothing but good stuff about them. But I'd like to be able to swap my scope between different rifles so I can buy one nice optic and cry once. I'd like a quick release lever style mount to run on a rail, but I cant find much information on them. Does anyone run them? And why do YOU use it, and which one would you recommend?

None on a precision rifle. Go with a quality set of standard picatinny rings or unimounts. They'll RTZ just a good as a QD with a socket and torque wrench.

None on a precision rifle. Go with a quality set of standard picatinny rings or unimounts. They'll RTZ just a good as a QD with a socket and torque wrench.
Can't say I understand this logic. Quality QD mounts are just as solid as traditional pic. rings/mounts.

OP, my experience with bobro has been great. If you're looking to spend less, American Defense makes a decent mount.

Can't say I understand this logic. Quality QD mounts are just as solid as traditional pic. rings/mounts.

OP, my experience with bobro has been great. If you're looking to spend less, American Defense makes a decent mount.

You and I are going to agree to disagree.......

A precision rifle is ALWAYS going to have a scope on it. You're not going to be constantly swapping one optic for another. Standard picatinny rings or unimount is going to Return to Zero, just as precisely as a QD mount, with the use of a socket and Bork torque wrench (about 3oz) and a fair bit cheaper too.

If you can afford two quality rifles and only one quality scope, then keep one rifle as a safe queen or keep saving your pennies......

You and I are going to agree to disagree.......

A precision rifle is ALWAYS going to have a scope on it. You're not going to be constantly swapping one optic for another. Standard picatinny rings or unimount is going to Return to Zero, just as precisely as a QD mount, with the use of a socket and Bork torque wrench (about 3oz) and a fair bit cheaper too.

If you can afford two quality rifles and only one quality scope, then keep one rifle as a safe queen or keep saving your pennies......

Yessir, agree to disagree.

I have taken the scope off precision ARs and run irons, or even changed out for a lower power scope. Why do you care how somebody else runs their gun? What if a guy can only afford one gun but wants to shoot two rifles? Is he offending you by doing so? Lots of guys train with. .223 or .308 to save money and barrel life, then shoot a 6mm or 6.5 in competition. I guess they shouldn't do that because they can't afford a dedicated scope for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is correct. Qr mounts on a precision rifle won't be repeatable. If you don't mind re zero every time you change out scopes go ahead and do this but you prob won't be happy w it. On a rig that doesn't demand less than moa repeatably
Like w an ar it will be fine

My personal experience has been that the Bobro mounts have been the best of all QD styles I've used. That being said, my experience has been limited to Larue, ADM, ARMS, and Bobro. I've handled most others with the exception of GDI mounts. The Bobro gets my vote, though I may look at GDI at some point just to see how they are.

And contrary to what some naysayers will say, quality QD mounts like the Bobro will return to zero. Myself and numerous others have proven this time and time again.

Also, I would avoid the Larue's for precision rifle applications, they have a much smaller contact area on which they attach themselves and they can mar your rails up pretty good if you are honestly going to be taking them on and off, something which over time will have an effect on RTZ.

Last edited:
Quick, somebody tell my GDI it doesn't return to zero. My AX and OBR won't know unless you tell them :)

I will say skip the LaRue for precision. The two I've owned wouldn't return to zero---one wouldn't even hold zero. Both were LT-104s IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaRue SPRS QD I take mine on and off my 7mag over and over and its bang on every time , can't speak for any other brand but with LaRue you get what you pay for and exactly what they say , return to zero guarantee.

Thanks everyone for your input, I'm definitely going to check out the Bobro and other quality ones mentioned. I know a lot of people don't like to get out of their comfort zone and expand their knowledge and because so won't use QD mounts, fortunately I'm not that ignorant. And for the comment about leaving a rifle as a safety queen until I can afford another scope, that's a ridiculous point of view. Other than that thanks for the feedback ya'll.

Last edited:
I have been in this argument several times with the know it all forum mods (not necessarily on the Hide mods dont freak) and everyone in between that will tell you "from their vast experience" QD mounts dont return to zero.

I have tested and re tested several manufacturers QDs and I have come up with 1 simple conclusion.
If you mount back into the same exact spot and the same exact way (pushing forward as you crank down) they will return to zero. PERIOD
I have experience with Larue ADM and Bobro and they all get the job done very well.

I currently run an ADM Recon SL on my AICS AX chassis and it has been absolutely perfect everytime.

I dont know man maybe other people have had bad experiences (maybe a faulty or lemon mount) but I never have.
Good luck

Last edited:
I have been in this argument several times with the know it all forum mods and everyone in between that will tell you "from their vast experience" QD mounts dont return to zero.

I have tested and re tested several manufacturers QDs and I have come up with 1 simple conclusion.
If you mount back into the same exact spot and the same exact way (pushing forward as you crank down) they will return to zero. PERIOD
I have experience with Larue ADM and Bobro and they all get the job done very well.

I currently run an ADM Recon SL on my AICS AX chassis and it has been absolutely perfect everytime.

I dont know man maybe other people have had bad experiences (maybe a faulty or lemon mount) but I never have.
Good luck

Same result with a quality set of picatinny rings or non-QD unimounts, just takes a socket and constant torque device.

If you just want to move the scope between rifles, you don't need a QD mount. Just use a wrench. I've never found QD mounts compelling. They're not that much faster, and all you need is a wrench for a regular mount. I'd spend the extra money elsewhere. If you have a use case that demands you being able to remove a scope without tools, go for it. I'm just not sure what that case is, realistically speaking.

Bobro is tough to beat, and tough to break.
Weight should factor into your decision as well.