• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which Rangefinder

Billl223

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2002
Worcester PA
Shot my first PRS type match and need a rangefinder (and kneepads). I've done the search here and am down to 3 , Leica 2400-R, Sig Kilo2200BDX, and Leupold RX 2800. My local ranges max @ 700 yds. Which is the best choice?

My leica 2400 is awesome. I can get consistent hits a 2240 on a tree line across a valley in my backyard

Reactions: Idaho-5R
Bushnell has a new Nitro LRF coming out this summer that was announced at the NRA show last week. All glass lenses, compact as hell, and Applied Ballistics Ultralite with Bluetooth built in. They're rating it for 800 on non-reflective and 2k on reflective, but I am hearing that real world performance has been significantly better in testing. You also have the option to link it to a Kestrel with AB Elite (which overrides the limitations of AB Ultralite in the process), or upgrade the built in AB engine to a one-mile capable system for a fee (Don't have that cost right now). Street price (MAP) is going to be $350.

That said, I can think of maybe two times I have ever used my LRF at a PRS match. If you want it for placing your own targets for training, then go for it... but I wouldn't be worried about owning one just to shoot PRS.

My first match was a "Pro-Am" and my "Pro" ranged every target and found up to 20 yd differences from the match info. This can be significant at longer ranges.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Another vote for Leica 2400R. I range steel from 200 to 2000 yds every weekend. It ranges when the Sigs, Nikons and others won't. I took it to the Worlds longest shot challenge, and ranged steel out to 2400 yds. Have really been impressed with it, and would highly recommend.

My first match was a "Pro-Am" and my "Pro" ranged every target and found up to 20 yd differences from the match info. This can be significant at longer ranges.

Personally, I can only think of a couple times where there was enough of a question on target ranges that someone pulled out a LRF to check. In both cases I can remember, the range from multiple LRFs was dead on what the MD provided. Obviously, it's possible for there to be a problem, but I've never experienced it.

I have a terrapin x. Thus far I’ve only ranged to 1070yds, but off a tripod it hit an ipsc at that distance no problem.

For me, maneuvering the terrapin is easier due to it size/shape (even on a small ball head) than the compact types like the sig and Leica.

Theres no onboard ballistics, so it’s a bit steep on pricing given it’s basically just a rangefinder with Bluetooth. But I’m pretty happy with it so far.

In the past I have been very fortunate to use some nice hardware, Like the V21, 25C,15C and original Terrapin. I learned a bit about the good and the bad, but today size and weight play a bigger roll than they ever did. I've also had some of the new offerings with rather large beams that really are rated for street signs like the Sigs.

It is not sexy as my old military grade stuff, but my personal favorite at this point, is the Leica 2800 and I am sure it will change next year. Just about the same beam and performance as the newer repackaged and rebranded consumer Terrapin, but in a tiny light form factor that displays your solution in the eye piece and in your Kestrel updating the azimuth, AOF etc. I originally bought it for pig hunting, but now it finds it's way to matches as it is faster than entering the range into the Kestrel manually.. Something to consider well under 1K, fast, light and small.

Reactions: seansmd and 338LMAI
The above 3 you mentioned...are they better than my Vectronic Terrapin? New technology and all don't know if they have gotten any better.

While the origin Terrapins set the bar very high, the fact that they are no longer supported makes them a high risk purchase. Several have been passed over by the masses when listed in the classifieds because no one wants a $1600-$2000 paperweight should a problem occur with the unit.

The different offerings being suggested above are being manufactured by companies that have focused on the consumer market, vs the military one, and therefore have a vested interest in customer service and producing a product that will work for the buying public. Warranties are also offered by these companies should a unit have issues.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
I received my new Leupold RX-2800. To get the TBR to work you need to select a "Ballistic" group and that data is based on a 200 yard zero. Is a 200 yard zero typical for a PRS shooter?

Put a new battery in terrapin x today (the one I got with it died last match, so it was weak). Huge difference with fresh battery or at least it seemed.

Hit every plate from 200-1k today without needing multiple shots or in scan mode. Also seemed much faster on range showing up.

Continually impressed with it (considering the price, I should be).