• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which repeater action for new build?

JayLeto

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
St. Amant, La
I am starting to purchase some parts for an upcoming 338 Whisper (7mmBRx338) build. I ordered the supressor 2 weeks ago, and am ready to get an action coming. I spoke with Russ at Stiller, and he doesn't think their Tac-30 action will reliably feed that round. He said it is possible with alot of playing with it. But that I was asking alot because of the 7Br casing and very heavy bullet.

Are their any other actions you would recommend? I want something that can reliably feed this ammo, and have a 5rd bottom metal. Also, the over-all length on this round with a 300gr SMK is 2.402"

Thanks.

Re: Which repeater action for new build?

I built a 338 Whisper on a Surgeon action, Bartlien 8 twist barrel 18In in length MTU contour, threaded 5/8 24, and Wyatts detachable mag system. Feeds no problem.

x2 on the surgeon. there gonig to be hard to beat.

I'm in the same boat here...I've got a blank, a reamer, some brass etc but still trying to figure out what to build on. At the moment I'm thinking a 700 short action with Wyatt Outdoor bottom metal and mags. I think modding a detachable mags feed lips would be a lot easier than working on the receiver itself. Just a thought....

Frank

If you use a centerfeed system, it will feed fine. The problems come when using the factory box and feedlips in the action. With the centerfeed, it will work like any other one does.

+1 Wyatt Outdoors Mag is a single stack design. I didn't have to modify anything. Drop inthe and start shooting.

I was going to recommend the Surgeon also.

As soon as the reamer comes in I am building a couple on Surgeon actions. One is on a 591 and the other is on an RSR. They will both work no problem.

Wade

Ok. Where's the best place to buy a surgeon? I have a local FFL that can do the transfer.

FN controlled-feed (308 length) with factory centerfeed box mag?