• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Rock River AR

deerslayer--79

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
Delmar,Maryland
I finally got the funds for a AR,used for varmints,deer and HD.I have narrowed it down between the coyote carbine 16in 1x9twist and a A4 varmint 18in 1x8 twist,I will order either one with the RRA A2 stock,houge grip and free float tube,and the chromed bolt carrier group,after that I don't know because I am a bolt gun guy.I know that you can get different charging handles,mag catches,ect..that is why I am askin for your info,advise any would help.

Re: Which Rock River AR

Hi, The 18" varmint is great (have 2) you might want to look at the 16" Predator Pursuit (have 1)it's lighter and has mid gas tube. Both shoot very well. You won't need to change anything with them, there great right from the box. My .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xp100man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, The 18" varmint is great (have 2) you might want to look at the 16" Predator Pursuit (have 1)it's lighter and has mid gas tube. Both shoot very well. You won't need to change anything with them, there great right from the box. My .02</div></div>

He's right they are both good rifles...I prefer the 18"...the longer the better for acuracy I always say... the rest is just adon stuff to make it more comfortable and fit to your personal needs... if your a left maybe an ambi safety.... chrging handle latch etc... they are pretty easy to modify.

I should have remembered the lefty stuff, I am one and just put those things on when i get a new toy. Enjoy the day. PS: the 16" with Magpul UBR is my "Truck Gun"

You really ought to say how much you want to spend, what kind of accuracy you want, and whether or not you care about weight (you say hunting, do you hunt from stands or are you hiking around with it?).

I have the Varmint 20" and LOVE it. With a Nightforce and a Magpul PRS stock mounted it comes in at just over 11 pounds and if you are going to tote it throught the woods, it will get heavy.

No experience with the Coyote, but with factory match ammo (75 gr) the Varmint shoots at 0.5 MOA.

Thanks for the info,so far,I am thinkin $1500-1600 ball park with optics,and surprisin enough I am a lefty I was eyeballin some extras.I don't have much of a issue of weight I'm 6'2" 240lbs,and I carry around a Savage 10flp 308 to shoot whistle pigs and other critters with.I was thinkin that the 1x8 twist would be better for heavier bullets to dispatch a rouge whitetail with to,I farm so they are varmints to,plan on puttin a nikon 223 2-8 or a nitrex tr2 2-10 on it with the warne ramp mount or a rock river mount don't know though want a little HD capability also to go along with the hunting aspect.

Since I'm spending your money, I'd choose the 20" Predator Pursuit which has the same barrel as Rock Rivers National Match rifle. It has the 2 stage match trigger with a Wylde chamber. It'll handle all .223 loads up to 80 grain bullets. It's a fine rifle needing no upgrades other than some magazines and some good ammo.

I believe that rock river shows that both the coyote carbine and varmint A4 both have the wylde chamber and 2 stage trigger but that is what the web site says they may not.

+1 on the 1 in 8 twist. I shot out a RR service rifle upper last year (same barrel as predator pursuit) and it was sub MOA all the way to 600 with hand loads. Went about 3300 rounds before the accuracy dropped off.

The Coyote is a 1-9 twist and Chrome Bore. Stay with the 1-8, the 20" Predator is also a fine choice. Wife has that one.

You could get an upper like this one (if he has it in stock, that cmmg spr upper is hard to find):

http://www.tacticalcity.com/product_details.asp?ProdID=1732

It is a 1:8 twist, not 1:9, that is a misprint. A friend of mine has one and it shoots very well and is not heavy. Then just get a stripped lower (100$) lower parts kit (60$) and whatever stock you want. For optics there are a few guys selling used super sniper 3-9 FFP's in the classifieds, you could probably get one for 450$. 1-piece optic mounts are all over the place for 50-60$. In the end you'd be into it 14-1500 but you'd have a really handy rifle that is in-between a 16" carbine and a 20" fullsize while still being quite accurate and it would handle any bullet weight without a problem.

If all that's too complicated just get the RRA predator pursuit or coyote rifle. Even though the coyote rifle is 1:9 it'll still stabilize the 52 bottail hollowpoint (great for varmints) and 60-64 soft points (great for hunting). Mine even did fine with 69 grain match. RRA makes a good rifle, I've owned several and every single one of them was a good shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bugshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Varmint 20" and LOVE it. With a Nightforce and a Magpul PRS stock mounted it comes in at just over 11 pounds and if you are going to tote it throught the woods, it will get heavy.

No experience with the Coyote, but with factory match ammo (75 gr) the Varmint shoots at 0.5 MOA. </div></div>

I just built my wife the same rifle as above, same stock, scope, etc...and it is a tank. We (she) just shoots long range stuff off of the deck (ie she's not carrying it except from the safe to the deck) but in the field, it's going to get heavy quick. I think sticking with the 1:8 twist though is the way to go (Varmint upper). I'll tote the load for the accuracy and the ability to shoot a wider range of heavy bullets well (69-77's). Just know that it WILL be heavy. JMO.