• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which scale?

Do-nothing

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 29, 2019
Gentleman,

Bought a used Dillion 650 months ago and just sat it aside as ammo was plentiful and relatively cheap. My how things change. I am in the process of getting the things I need to start reloading and buying components as I can find them (good luck finding small pistol primers...). I need to upgrade some things on the press, get case prep "stuff", and a good scale. Given that the 650 is a progressive press, I don't see the need for an electronic scale at this time. I had an RCBS single stage press and beam scale years (many) ago. I'm looking at an RCBS beam scale--either the M500 or M1000. Seem to be good scales for the money. Am I barking up the right tree or should I go in a different direction? Should I look at something else? When I start reloading my 6.5 Creed I am going to do that with a single stage and may look at a different scale then. Give me your thoughts/recommendations. Thanks much.

A beam scale is just fine for setting the Dillon thrower. When you get the press set up, throw a few charges to get the powder settled in. Weigh several when you get the target weight and you're GTG.

What calibers are going to load for? Both now and in the short term future?

The usual calibers. Will start with 9mm and 45ACP and eventually add 556 and 38/357, in that order. I'm going to focus on the first two to get comfortable.

As a reference the old RCBS 505 made by O'Hause sells for about $40. I don't recall what I bought my used 10-10 for but make sure it is US made. I've heard the Mexican then Chinese made scales had a lot of inconsistencies in castings along with cast not milled parts.

Reactions: Steel head
As a reference the old RCBS 505 made by O'Hause sells for about $40. I don't recall what I bought my used 10-10 for but make sure it is US made. I've heard the Mexican then Chinese made scales had a lot of inconsistencies in castings along with cast not milled parts.
The older 505 and 10-10 are excellent for setting up powder throws.

Gentleman,

Bought a used Dillion 650 months ago and just sat it aside as ammo was plentiful and relatively cheap. My how things change. I am in the process of getting the things I need to start reloading and buying components as I can find them (good luck finding small pistol primers...). I need to upgrade some things on the press, get case prep "stuff", and a good scale. Given that the 650 is a progressive press, I don't see the need for an electronic scale at this time. I had an RCBS single stage press and beam scale years (many) ago. I'm looking at an RCBS beam scale--either the M500 or M1000. Seem to be good scales for the money. Am I barking up the right tree or should I go in a different direction? Should I look at something else? When I start reloading my 6.5 Creed I am going to do that with a single stage and may look at a different scale then. Give me your thoughts/recommendations. Thanks much.
I have a new production RCBS M1000 and flat out hate it. Hates a strong word, and I hate it. I learned on my fathers old Ohaus made one and it spoiled me.

This M1000 isn't consistent. The magnetic damping pushes the beam off center and causes it to rub and bind. I can zero the scale empty and the check weight is substantially off. I can zero the scale on the check weight then its empty zero is again, substsnitally off.