• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Which Thermal $3000 (ish)?

Smith1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
Ohio
Looking to get a thermal for coyotes. Since I’m a poor, budget is around $3000. I’ve seen a couple units from being Optics in this range, pulsar thermion xq38, atn thor 4 (which seems to get hate as a brand, but a few local guys swear by them and I’m sure there’s a few I haven’t seen
. A local guy is selling a flir 535 with external
Battery for $2950, but not sure if it’s advisable to buy used or not, or If that’s even a decent deal. Any input appreciated

ATN works fine... when they work fine. I have a couple myself, though they're on my loaner guns.

Pulsar is better.

Hogster seems to get good reviews and are available via TNVC's incestuous sister, NightGoggles.com.

Assume you meant Flir PTS536? They are fine -- they're Armasight models. Used may not have a warranty. ATN warranty support is the pits. If you have a warranty issue with a Hogster bought from NG, you'll be in good hands. Always something to consider.

Reactions: Smith1
Out of the options you have listed I would pick the Thermion without hesitation. Pulsar makes great scopes.
If you’re not set on those options, I’ve seen some pretty decent deals on used Pulsar Trails here that made me wish I had waited to buy my XQ50 that I have as backup/loaner for friends & family. I really like the Trail scopes that I have.
I had a decent experience with the Armasight Zeus(Flir) that was my first thermal. I hunted mostly hogs + occasional coyotes with it for 4 years and never had a bit of trouble. My only real complaint was with the recoil rating. It’s rated for up to .308, but it would shut off when shooting a 308 with an extra power buffer spring. The base magnification was not ideal for me at 5X, but that’s my fault. I hunt in dense woods and should’ve known better.

Out of the options you have listed I would pick the Thermion without hesitation. Pulsar makes great scopes.
If you’re not set on those options, I’ve seen some pretty decent deals on used Pulsar Trails here that made me wish I had waited to buy my XQ50 that I have as backup/loaner for friends & family. I really like the Trail scopes that I have.
I had a decent experience with the Armasight Zeus(Flir) that was my first thermal. I hunted mostly hogs + occasional coyotes with it for 4 years and never had a bit of trouble. My only real complaint was with the recoil rating. It’s rated for up to .308, but it would shut off when shooting a 308 with an extra power buffer spring. The base magnification was not ideal for me at 5X, but that’s my fault. I hunt in dense woods and should’ve known better.

Definitely not set on those options just happened to be what I’ve seen lately. I’m in Ohio, so most of hunting would be farmland. I’ll take a look at in the classifieds, May have to buy some posts to purchase anything. I have about $4000 now, but also need a tripod and a caller. I can hold out if that extra $1000 is going to get me a substantially better scope. Will be on a 6.5 Grendel as well so recoil shouldn’t be a huge issue

The hogster-R from what I can tell seems to be the best in features and image quality in that price category (384x288 core with a 1280x960 resolution display). That's what I would personally go with if you are married to that price range. On the other hand, I would continue to save and pick up a used Halo unit, which is just all around better.

I’d love a halo for sure, but I don’t think I could justify the $5500+ or what a used one is even going for with the amount of time I’ll actually be out

Definitely not set on those options just happened to be what I’ve seen lately. I’m in Ohio, so most of hunting would be farmland. I’ll take a look at in the classifieds, May have to buy some posts to purchase anything. I have about $4000 now, but also need a tripod and a caller. I can hold out if that extra $1000 is going to get me a substantially better scope. Will be on a 6.5 Grendel as well so recoil shouldn’t be a huge issue
You can buy from the PX here on the Hide without the 100 posts, you just can’t sell.

You can find a pulsar trail or possibly a thermion within your budget if you are patient and keep an eye out. I have seen quite a few thermals go for decent prices on eBay lately. Good luck

I have a FLIR-based Thor 19mm (not the new HD models which have varying reputations depending on who you ask). It's good to 100 yds, but that's about it for clear sighting and it does have (4) profiles. My "Holiday Hogs" post below has some video where I state the distance I'm shooting at.
I'd recommend the Pulsar XD-38A (don't know if it has the multiple profile capability). It has a 38mm objective @ 50hz which really matter for the visibility part. UNV has them with the DVR for $2,999, so you'll just squeak by.

I have had a Pulsar XD50A since they first came out (2015?) and it's a great entry level Thermal. (With good resolution compared to Overpriced FLIR...)

The XD50A is good even to 500 yards (in my opinion).

I was able to ID Deer (not shoot, we were hunting hogs) buried in underbrush with only heads sticking out, from about 200 yards EASY.

I went through UNV myself.

If you get the Pulsar, buy the external battery... I can hunt all night (Literally) and never need to recharge. C123's can be backup power.

*Edited Yardage to 500, as I went back and viewed some of my old videos.

Last edited:
Looking to get a thermal for coyotes. Since I’m a poor, budget is around $3000. I’ve seen a couple units from being Optics in this range, pulsar thermion xq38, atn thor 4 (which seems to get hate as a brand, but a few local guys swear by them and I’m sure there’s a few I haven’t seen
. A local guy is selling a flir 535 with external
Battery for $2950, but not sure if it’s advisable to buy used or not, or If that’s even a decent deal. Any input appreciated
Your not poor, if you have $3k to spend on night vision and are even mentioning thermal.
Poor was me 40+ years ago, wondering how to add a red filter to a spotlight found in a junkyard.
With the wide selection of Night and thermal vision in every price range available today, You young whipper snappers don't know how good you have it.
Make a list of what NV or thermal your looking for and keep an eye out for them.
Personally, I would get the best new whatever brand thermal or NV I could afford that has a warranty, especially when dealing with NV tubes.
It might not be the best out there, but if you break it, it's not going to cost you more money to repair it, or become a very expensive paperweight.
SJC

Reactions: Bevo and Smith1
Let us know how you like it. I’ve been looking at them as well.

52B80799-FC69-416A-9C84-DA47DDED00D8.jpeg
474BDDAE-2403-4F5C-B06A-3626C66D90D7.png

Will do once I get it out in the next few weeks. For the money it seems pretty solid, but I’m sure anything will look good in my backyard. Some guy on a local coyote page said he ordered a Version 2.0 that has better magnification and possibly recording. I’ll have to try and find his post. He thinks it should be released at the end of the month which is my luck lol

39F21CF2-4600-459B-8FA3-A8EE333E475F.jpeg

Sometimes you be browsing Facebook and a hot deal on an XP50 pops up. Didn’t ever think I’d have so much money wrapped up in a rifle, but it sure is sweet. The Hogster is definitely a steal for the price but it isn’t the 640 core either. It wasn’t worth upgrading at retail imo but for the deal I got, I couldn’t pass it up.

View attachment 7403837

Sometimes you be browsing Facebook and a hot deal on an XP50 pops up. Didn’t ever think I’d have so much money wrapped up in a rifle, but it sure is sweet. The Hogster is definitely a steal for the price but it isn’t the 640 core either. It wasn’t worth upgrading at retail imo but for the deal I got, I couldn’t pass it up.
Great scope.
Whats the eye pc cover/cap you have on there ?
I use the factory pulsar eye cup and insert a PVS14 shuttered eye guard into it.

Great scope.
Whats the eye pc cover/cap you have on there ?
I use the factory pulsar eye cup and insert a PVS14 shuttered eye guard into it.

It’s a vortex defender cap. The previous owner put it in and trimmed some excess material so it’s very easy to open. I may go with the pulsar one, I haven’t decided yet

Let us know how you like it. I’ve been looking at them as well.

I’ve got a Hogster-R with a ton of hours on it so far this year. I love mine, buy with confidence. Particularly enjoy the wider FOV and lower native magnification (vs similarly priced Pulsar units) for scanning and dynamic shooting situations.

I’ve got a Hogster-R with a ton of hours on it so far this year. I love mine, buy with confidence. Particularly enjoy the wider FOV and lower native magnification (vs similarly priced Pulsar units) for scanning and dynamic shooting situations.

I’d agree with this 100%. For the price I don’t think there’s a better value in thermal. On base mag I’d say the picture quality is 80-90% of the thermion at the ranges (under 400 yards) I shoot for almost half the price. But I got such a steal I couldn’t pass on the thermion.

It totally depends on terrain and how far a person needs to shoot. The Hogster 25 has a comfortable shooting range around 150 yards, the Hogster 35 to about 225 yards, and the Super Hogster to at least 300 yard. These are very conservative estimates as all models have PIP. The 25 and 35 will make better scanner/scope combinations with their bigger FOV. The Super Hogster has more reticles, more magnification, and internal recording. All 3 are great options around $3.2K and under. Night Goggles has a large PO in with Bering and units are expected to start shipping early September.

Reactions: swinestalker
It’s a vortex defender cap. The previous owner put it in and trimmed some excess material so it’s very easy to open. I may go with the pulsar one, I haven’t decided yet
I though it was some type of twist cap, not a flip cap.
I prefer to use the PVS14 shuttered eye guard, as I don't get back lit when getting down to business when the critters are close.
Fits right inside the Pulsar eyecup, has good eye relief and is easy to remove for storage.

I though it was some type of twist cap, not a flip cap.
I prefer to use the PVS14 shuttered eye guard, as I don't get back lit when getting down to business when the critters are close.
Fits right inside the Pulsar eyecup, has good eye relief and is easy to remove for storage.

That’s a good idea, I may look into that. I don’t particularly care for the stock eye cups but it does really seem to throw the light out without it

One of the great features of the Thermion and other thermal scopes from pulsar, is that you can put the display on standby/sleep mode.
That helps save power and also keeps the screen dark.
Many years Before I tried the PVS 14 shuttered eye guard in my Apex scope, I was hunting in a ground blind with the rifle set up in a tri pod.
What I didn't notice (until I went to leave that stand for the night)was that the scope was emitting a glow onto the rear of the blind.
Never had that Issue with my SpecterIR, as it came with a shuttered eye guard.
Lesson learned.
While some don't like the shuttered eye guard, I think it's a useful addition to any kit, especially if you hunt in forest terrain.