• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Tikka Prefit?

McGowen makes excellent pre-fits ... I have two (300-WM and 6.5-CM) and they're both straight-shooters. One is on my Tikka T3x TAC A1 and the other is on my MPA 300-WMBA.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
Some of what you list are manufacturers of barrel blanks, some of them are gunsmiths that chamber other people's blanks. So kind of a weird apples and orange question. Given your list I would say Bartlein has a reputation (and has been my experience) for being a absolutely top performer. But I have shot sub-1" groups at 300yds with McGowen and Proof barrels as well.

Here's a question for you, do you need, or can you actually leverage "the most accurate barrel". Not trying to be condescending. I see a lot of developing shooter's that agonize about ensuring they get the most accurate barrel or use(and therefore wait 12 mos) the most storied gunsmith, but then they're still learning how to reload or new to shooting from a barricade. Or they're shooting factory ammo.

I make my decision these days based on reliability and availability. There's two on that list I'll never buy a barrel from again from getting strung along for about 3 x the quoted wait time. There's a third on that list that is a good company but due to supply chain issues has a ridiculous wait time. I don't hold it against them but at the same time I'll just buy something available before I wait for 6 - 8 months.
Thanks for the response and the insight. I totally understand what you are saying and no I am no F-class shooter. I just didn't want to get burnt on a barrel. I spend a lot of time reloading and shooting and love to shoot small groups but I am just getting my feet wet in the precision realm. I was going to try to put together a tikka action with a proof prefit but it would only work for a 6.5prc which i kind of want to build. But I am kind of over the 6.5 and want to build a 300prc so i would have to get a different action for that route. You nailed it with wait times and barrel markers for my preferences appreciate the help.