• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which way should I go??? Advice needed please

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
So like a rookie I purchased a Rem 700 in .243 because I thought that is what I want to shoot. I have since bought all the reloading stuff needed to load my ammo. I have bought bullets,brass,dies, etc. I have not bought a barrel to put on it yet and my gunsmith said he had a match XX douglas blank he would sell me for cheap. The barrel is 308. Should I stick with 243 or sell all my stuff and switch to 308??? I Will be mostly using this gun for matches 100-800 yards with the occasional 1000k shoot. Thanks for help.

-Jake

Re: Which way should I go??? Advice needed please

"Cheap" Is 200 dollars you will regret saving, I think everyone needs a 308... That being said, I shoot a 243 in competition and have NEVER in 2 years been beaten by a 308. It is a nice feeling when you send a 115 dtac slicing through the air at 3000fps via a 7.5 or 8 twist barrel...

You already have all the other stuff, which you will end up giving away if you try to sell. Put a high quality barrel (.243) on it (Krieger, Hart, PacNor, Rock, etc) and shoot the #$&* out of it.

I believe our own George Gardner shoots a .243 in comps. Does pretty well, too.

I own a 308, but in your situation, I would probably stick with the 243. It will get you all the way to 1000yd with ease. You may burn out the barrel quickly, at which time you can re-address the issue of caliber choice. BTW, what twist is your factory barrel? (I guess I could look this up, assuming it is a factory barrel, but I'm too lazy.)

Nothing wrong with 243 win. Factory barrel is probably 1 in 9 like mine. It shoots hornady 105 amax with great accuracy out to 1000 yrds.

Keep the .243. Like they said above put a good barrel on it and shoot the crap out of it. You bought it for that reason. I almost bought the .243 myself. No Worries!

I would stick with the 243! And if the 308 barrel is really cheap then just buy it for a later build if money permits it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would stick with the 243! And if the 308 barrel is really cheap then just buy it for a later build if money permits it. </div></div>

+1! Depending on how cheap you can get the barrel.. Or will he sell you the barrel cheap because he wants to make up some of the $$ on the install just trying to unload the barrel...?

If you really want the .308 go for it. I've sold reloading gear and you won't be giving it away, that stuff sells. But the easier route would be to just go for the .243 and use what you have...

Thanks guys, I am going to buy a barrel for my new .243. Thanks for the input I think it make more sense to stick with what I have all the stuff for. Thanks-Jake