• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whidden Die Disappointment

secondofangle2

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2017
    Got a 375 Cheytac sizing die from Whidden and boy what a disappointment.

It does not appear to be very well polished and leaves longitudinal streaks down the case body

The top pieces that screw into the die and hold in the decapping rod and the bushing have razor sharp machinging edges which cut the shit out of me every time I screw or unscrew the die or its attendant parts.

The bushings are also not polished worth a darn. One of 5 was actually, but the others are so bad you can feel and hear a paper clip dragging along the inside of the bushing. One of them is polished half way up and then stops.

Even the lock ring looks like it was done in a high school metals class.

In short, this thing is worse than mass produced, it shows almost no attention to machining quality whatever.

I was going to try to work on it myself and at least remove the sharp edges but I decided f$%& that I have better things to do in life.

I plan to call them this AM and request a full return/refund.

My last die, I had sent off 3x fired cases for them to make a FL die non bushing type. It gives .015" neck tension without the button, and the button is so big it's not even close to the right size.

The way it should have come was to reduce the neck .004" and the button should have given .002 neck tension.

At least at the .200 line and the shoulder area, the sizing is correct.

I'll be using a Harrels die for my new 6mmBR if the Redding Type S die I've had for years doesn't size enough and causes the dreaded "click".

John whidden seems like a good guy and based on my experience he will make it right. I’m just trying to make a case for supporting an independent guy who is an active member of the shooting community

John whidden seems like a good guy and based on my experience he will make it right. I’m just trying to make a case for supporting an independent guy who is an active member of the shooting community

The full refund without questions made it right.

Ill stick with my Viersco dies for now until somebody else makes a 375CT bushing die or Ill get one from WTC.

Ordered a redding for my 338.

I tried whidden once and unfortunately will have to try them for 7 SS i think wish Rich would get Redding on board. But yeah mimics my experience.

I tried whidden once and unfortunately will have to try them for 7 SS i think wish Rich would get Redding on board. But yeah mimics my experience.
    Is rich still getting the Forester dies he had them listed also.

Is rich still getting the Forester dies he had them listed also.

I forgot about forester i'm going to check again though i hope he has forester dies for the 7 SS.

Looks like it's only Whidden for the 7 SS.

Last edited: