• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who all's got a "Vintage Sniper Rifle"

How about M1903a4s as vintage sniper rifles, I just about finished mine, Its a SC 'a3 action, new CMP "C" stock. New barrel, Redfield Jr. base with vintage vertical split rings, Weaver El Paso K 2.5 with post recital.

I'll be using this rifle in the CMP GSM Vintage Sniper Rifle Matches.

I'll post pictures in a couple days.

It's Finished

DSCN0111.JPG

DSCN0110.JPG

Last edited:
I am going with either post padding or ignorance. First page in the sub forum I counted 6 threads of members and their vintage sniper rifles. Mostly the M1D thread and various Mosin threads.

Post bump or not,I'll play:
Z prefix M1903A4
M1C
M1D
MC52
Mosin Nagant
K-43
KAR-98k
Enfield T1
Springfield M1922 with Winny A5 scope (not really a sniper rifle,but they sure were used for training snipers)
All the above are all original and with correct original scopes
Clone pre-war M70 Winny with correct barrel,,using a Unertl 10X
Currently working on a clone M40

Last edited:
'These are not the Droids your looking for move on.' Vlad Kanockers

Last edited:
1903A4 with a Weaver El Paso 2.5 split vertical rings post reticle scope here

first serial number block all Remington mint bore

and I shoot it like I stole it, got it in a trade for a SS Colt Officers Model :)

4 Mosin Nagant PU snipers for me - a '43 Tula original, a '43 Tula restored ex-sniper, a '42 Izhevsk restored ex-sniper and a CAI repro built off a '27 Izhevsk. The ex-snipers are my match rifles, but I shoot them all.

K98 BCD4 LSR with original Zeiss Zielsechs
1942 Mosin 91/30 with original PU scope and repro mount

A possible problem with the Illinois public school system reading program?

Last edited:
Trilux scoped L1A1
1937 VZ 24, I.O.R. 4,25x scoped,one-piece heavy mount, side marked Czechoslovenska Zbrojowska Brno
? VZ 24, I.O.R. 4,25x scoped,two pieces light mount, Zbrojowska Brno only, bc after 1939 Czecholslovakia don't existed anymore_

sorry heres mine and i really love to shoot this rifle - the fins are rifleman period

sav338lapua
Good looking Finn, what scope and scope mount do you have on the rifle and where did you purchase them? Is it reliable and does your scope keeps its zero?
Thanks and good shooting.
Ombre noire

So the OP never returned? You guys are so mean.

Last edited:
Arisaka T99

So the OP never returned? You guys are so mean.

I'm still lurking...I ain't as well off as most of you gents. This being a "Vintage Sniper Rifle" board, half of which are posts about non sniper variants, that yes are "Vintage" and some that aren't "Vintage". I myself have not owned one till this year. A Japanese Arisaka Type 99 "Cutback" from Nagoya that is scope less, all matching and screws staked. One of 10,000 produced and less than 100 known. A scope just sold on ebay for over $3K that was from a Type 99 "Cutback" mount. It places all shots in the 100yd aiming black using the crude peep sight and my first shot at hand loads. Won't be selling any of my CMP M1's anytime soon to buy a scope for it. So I'll enjoy what I've got for now till the money train comes in. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 32
I'll say that I have some vintage sniper rifles:

Remington M40 - reproduction by Remington produced a few years ago with a period Redfield Accu-range 3-9X.
Remington 1903A4 - Original equipment with a M84. Korean War vintage.
Remington 1903A4 - Original receiver, all other parts bashed from various sources ie: CMP C stock, Gibbs M73G1 scope and mount, 4 groove aftermarket barrel.
M1D - Purchased from CMP with repro M84.
Winchester M70 (1955 production) - see "Do I have a Van Orden" post in this board. I also have a Unertl 12x scope for it.
Reproduction Lee-Enfield No4 Mk 1 (T) - It may not be original, but it sure shoots great!
Uberti Sharps (45-70) - I'd count it as a Vintage sniper rifle
Since I left my M40 at my other house I decided to add one more, my M21 clone:
Springfield Armory National Match M1A with a Leatherwood ART II - 3-9x

DSC01625.jpgDSC01626.jpgDSC01624.jpg

Last edited:
mosin nagant 91/30 with pu scope.

would kill for a enfield (T) with scope and mount. i have a 1943 enfield all scoped out and shoot it ever week......love that rifle....the mosin , not so much....

I agree the M1A looks odd with the truncated DBM - I have a 20 rd also. It fits better in the small gunsafe if the small dbm is in.

I'm still lurking...I ain't as well off as most of you gents. This being a "Vintage Sniper Rifle" board, half of which are posts about non sniper variants, that yes are "Vintage" and some that aren't "Vintage". I myself have not owned one till this year. A Japanese Arisaka Type 99 "Cutback" from Nagoya that is scope less, all matching and screws staked. One of 10,000 produced and less than 100 known. A scope just sold on ebay for over $3K that was from a Type 99 "Cutback" mount. It places all shots in the 100yd aiming black using the crude peep sight and my first shot at hand loads. Won't be selling any of my CMP M1's anytime soon to buy a scope for it. So I'll enjoy what I've got for now till the money train comes in. LOL

Now that you have your Vintage Sniper Rifle posted, can we still call this Forum "Vintage Sniper Rifles"? The vast majority of "Vintage Sniper Rifles" owners who took the time to post pics and comments about their rifles would for sure appreciate it.
No harsh feelings, it's all good.
Congrats on your rifle, looking forward to see pics of your next range session.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

Jbarn- very nice collection.

I have been wanting to start adding vintage sniper rifles to my collection as I am getting to the point of diminishing returns in regards to normal firearms.

The last one

I had a chance to go to the other house and get my Remington M40 SSA.

This is the run that Remington made a few years ago. Found it at a Gun Show in Norfolk, VA.

It has a period Redfield 3-9X Accurange I found on ebay (gloss black, not the original USMC Green) and a Turner Carlos Hathcock Sling.
I am probably going to change out slings with my Van Orden M70 and replace the scope with a new production Hi-Lux M40 scope when they come out.

This way I can have the M70 to represent early Vietnam era and the M40 for later.

Anybody know what the serial numbers that Remington used for the M40 SSA rifles? I have heard that they made a couple of batches of these.

IMG_4428.jpgIMG_4429.jpg

I am building 2 1903-A3's into A4's. Bought sporterized Remington A3's and new surplus scant grip stocks, new surplus handguards, new surplus 2 groove RA barrels, New Redfield mounts and rings, Weaver K2.5 American made scopes and am almost finished putting them together. Using a pull through match reamer, and relieving the front pressure on the barrel. I already built one and it shot a lot better doing that, but my best friend had to have it. I also finish the stocks with True Oil, like we did in the Airborne Infantry in 60/61. If I can figure out the picture thing, I will try to post pictures when I am done.

AK Sgt Maj.

Check out the third post on this topic. I built a 'A4 just like you mentioned, only someone gave me the action and most of the parts. I used the CMP stock set and RA 9-43 2 grove barrel.

It also carries an El Paso K-2.5 and vertical split rings.

I don't see allot of discussion or posts here. Maybe change name to Vintage Rifle?

My last 2 rifles just happened to be vintage snipers.

I mail ordered an m1D from the CMP in jan. it's a service grade springfield and I was lucky enough to get one with a 6-digit serial (oct. 1941) original grey-green parkerizing... Also has a nice GAW WW2 (1945) stock with a mighty solid lockup. It was rebarreled by SA in the early 50's in the D sniper configuration for Korea. The greeks did not get a chance to eff with this one! The barrel appears to be brand new, but there was a small amount of copper fouling in it. Just found a beauty of web sling marked MRT DEC 1953. Still on the hunt for a usgi T-37 flash hider and mount.

I just bought a JRA k98 sniper with the low turret configuration and Zf-39. It should arrive on Friday. Pretty excited about that one;)

Im not sure if mine qualifies, I call her Carlos , 06' 56' mod 70 target in a sporter stock, bone stock, shoots sub moa with 165gr and 168 gr factory ammo , I have a fixed 10X leupold on it now as my Unertl was 15X and to much to deer hunt with.

I sold the bottom gun a 59' target to a member here on the hide. Top gun is one of those never sell guns. very best

Last edited:
I have a '43 Izhevsk 91/30 PU. REALLY want to put together a No.4 mk1(t) or USMC m1941. Probably the latter when I get back from this upcoming deployment.

9130pu.jpg

I'd like to say thank you for all the posts. There are some incredible collections here. My collection started about 5 years ago.
So far in no particular order:
Zfk 55 7.5x55 Swiss, 1958
July 1943 2-groove all correct R marked Remington 1903A4
(2) 1943 Mosin Nagant with PU scopes

Cheers,
Steve

I've got a 1903A1 topped with a 6X pre war Unertl that I intend to use in the Western CMP games in Phoenix in October.

Love it. And the classic spotting scope with tripode! Is that an m-49?

Last edited:
Yes an M49.

I see a French FR2 in the upper corner.

Very nice pile mr bungle.

I have a few so thought that I would join in. I started sniper collecting in about 94. I had a question in my mind, who had the best and most accurate sniper rifle in WW2? I set out to get one or more of each. What was I thinking. Anyway, I have made a dent in it and have some opinions, but that is a thread or more, on its own. The Vintage matches may help a bit but must be taken with a grain of salt in some cases since many of these rifles are pretty much custom built match rifles and are not WW2 original IMO.

Here are a few of mine, and these pictures are mostly old, incomplete, some rifles added and subtracted since, etc..

Attachments

• k99and97and98s 133.jpg
    k99and97and98s 133.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 32
  • k99and97and98s 136.jpg
    k99and97and98s 136.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 54
  • k99and97and98s 138.jpg
    k99and97and98s 138.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 31
  • k99and97and98s 139.jpg
    k99and97and98s 139.jpg