• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who custom cuts foam for pelican cases

Sniperwannabee

CWO
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Changes every 4 years
    Looking for a someone to do a 1720 case / AI folder combo. Called Mile high nd they don’t have any for the 1720. I did it myself but don’t really like the quality hahah

If you can't find someone to do it, consider doing it yourself. I've done 2 now for my gun cases with an electric filleting knife. I just laid my gun on the foam, traced it out with sharpie and cut it out. It turned out awesome!

It's customized exactly to your gun and its considerably cheaper

If you can't find someone to do it, consider doing it yourself. I've done 2 now for my gun cases with an electric filleting knife. I just laid my gun on the foam, traced it out with sharpie and cut it out. It turned out awesome!

It's customized exactly to your gun and its considerably cheaper
    Same here ... Rifle, Sharpie, Knife ... and it works perfectly. Couldn't imagine "paying" someone to do that, but to each his own.

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
    I did one on mycasebuilder.com.

You'll have to take some time designing your layout, taking pictures of the items, and using their software to design the foam, but it comes out really nice. Its closed cell foam so it won't hold water and you can specify different depths for items you want to seat low, like magazines on their sides or whatnot.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    Same here. About an hour. I did mine 180 degrees from what I wanted so I could turn the foam over and hide any sharpie marks.
    20210309_213659.jpg

I did mine in 5 minutes with a fillet knife and sharpie. It’s not the prettiest but I don’t open my case and have a dick measuring contest
    5C9B3BCF-05BD-4119-9AA2-7255F5AF20A4.jpeg

Last edited:
    remember scope towards handle and but of the stock towards wheels. I am not going to explain because if you can't figure it out you deserve bad luck. s@#$ happens
    I thought a couple wtf's about that too.....

remember scope towards handle and but of the stock towards wheels. I am not going to explain because if you can't figure it out you deserve bad luck. s@#$ happens

I cut mine that way, but have found that the vast majority of people do it like pictured. It may look prettier with the rifle "upright", but I'd rather it take a worse instagram picture, and know that I'm putting less pressure on my scope/rings when I'm carrying it or setting it down.

Put them in the case as you wish. Most, like the rifle pictured in my post above, have the foam contacting the Buttstock/scope/Forend/barrel and muzzle device on the top of the gun. So if your setting it down/carrying it/drop it etc it’s not like the entire weight of the gun is resting on the the scope.

I wouldn’t place a scope turret against the plastic on the side of the case or anything but I see no reason your scope can’t handle any of the cutouts above. Scopes are pretty durable

I agree, it's going to experience the same deceleration forces regardless of the orientation, and you have no idea which way it will fall. It's probably less likely to be dropped while someone is carrying it with the handle and more likely during handling or transfer by a baggage handler.

I’d bet any rifle above could be carried by the handle and dropped repeatedly in its case from waist height and your arms would go numb before the rifle/scope would suffer damage or zero loss.

As mentioned above, anything besides normal carrying and the rifle could land on any side of the case. Off a shelf, off a 4 wheeler rack, airline rack, truck bed etc etc.

I cut it myself using an inexpensive electric knife (10 y/o turkey carver). It probable would have come out better if I had taken my time, but overall I'm happy with the final product. The case is 36"long and 12" tall (I.D.). Think I paid $93 shipped on fleebay.. It's actually pretty good quality.

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
    Where are folks getting their foam? I have been wanting to re-do the foam in one of my cases, but have not been able to find good closed cell foam for a reasonable cost. Either the foam or shipping charges are big $$$.

Where are folks getting their foam? I have been wanting to re-do the foam in one of my cases, but have not been able to find good closed cell foam for a reasonable cost. Either the foam or shipping charges are big $$$.

ive gotten a lot of foam from these guys

I took my existing foam into a local upholstery store to have a look at. They ordered me the same foam but on a bigger roll so I could do a few

Put them in the case as you wish. Most, like the rifle pictured in my post above, have the foam contacting the Buttstock/scope/Forend/barrel and muzzle device on the top of the gun. So if your setting it down/carrying it/drop it etc it’s not like the entire weight of the gun is resting on the the scope.

I wouldn’t place a scope turret against the plastic on the side of the case or anything but I see no reason your scope can’t handle any of the cutouts above. Scopes are pretty durable

That's some awesome confidence in a product, thanks for sharing!

Call Brack at Patriot Cases. They do custom cut foam, and their foam is FAR better than the spongy crap that comes in a Pelican case. If you order the complete case from them, they come with the higher density foam already included, and they will custom cut it for an additional charge. I had one done by them a few years ago, and the foam still looks brand new in mine.

Reactions: striped1
    Call Brack at Patriot Cases. They do custom cut foam, and their foam is FAR better than the spongy crap that comes in a Pelican case. If you order the complete case from them, they come with the higher density foam already included, and they will custom cut it for an additional charge. I had one done by them a few years ago, and the foam still looks brand new in mine.
    This is the correct answer.

You send them the tracing of how you want it and they will cut is exactly that way.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    Looking for a someone to do a 1720 case / AI folder combo. Called Mile high nd they don’t have any for the 1720. I did it myself but don’t really like the quality hahah

I use a 1750. My buddy and I helped design this cut out

Reactions: Sniperwannabee