• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

who do you do your banking with ?

416barrett

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Georgia ,seminole ounty
Re: who do you do your banking with ?

A credit union beats a bank any day of the week, but are limited on who can join. Often universities and colleges have their own credit unions, as well as government entities too. If you're going to college or joining the service, go that route.

If you're limited to a bank, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the major players. Find one that is heavy in your area to save you on ATM fees and such, and also make sure you will have free checking. Make sure they aren't going to eat you up with fees for services such as check deposits, low balance, and so on. Smaller locally owned banks often offer better service and rates, but are difficult to travel with if that is in your future.

I have USAA. But unless you are mil I don't think it is available to you. I'll be with them as long as I can.

Josh

Look at your local banks and ask about student or "new user" accounts. Try to stay away from the big banks if possible. They're a pain to deal with.

If you join the military, transfer everything to USAA as they beat everyone hands down in all their services as well as insurance (from my experience).

Run from BOA, the cost me 10K and a black X on my credit report from a stupid paperwork glitch; I've had bad encounters with Citibank service as well. I am been happy with a personal banker from Compass,not BBVACompass; nothing like when you are going through a major identity theft and can make a call to a personal banker that knows your voice and can immediately freeze all business and personal accounts.

well regions is real popular here. At first they just did the checking for the scrap metal company now they built a huge bank on the town square .

Just make sure they have good of insurance for your money. FDIC is the big one but there are others. This will prevent you from losing your money if the bank goes south at a later time.

Josh

I guess it all depends on where you live. If you simply must live in a city then you are largely screwed, and you will have to go with one of the large corporate banks. I bank at my local small town bank and I am very happy with my service. I know everyone there and that means something to me, plus I am keeping my funds in the local economy.

I used to use a local credit union here in town. When I started banking with them they were great, had a small business feel and I knew everyone who worked there. The service was great and I had no complaints. The president retired and the new and much younger president took over and wanted to be a big time business man so everything that was nice about the place went away.

I've been with 5/3 bank for a little over a year and have no complaints yet. Free checking, online bill pay, personable employees.

Credit Unions beat banks ten times over. With the ability to use any online banking from wherever you are it only makes sense. Most Crtedit Unions have free checking, but a debit/credit card makes paper obsolete. If you look hard at any bank, they all charge you fees for the service you should be getting FREE because they are using the money you put in there every month to make money on. They make big interest, you get .013% interest for your savings.
Credit Unions are just a better choice these days

I use Navy Fed. If you join the military or plan on it then you can join them.

Another option is USAA banking. I believe they opened up their banking dept to the Civ populace just not their insurance. Thier rates for loans and what not are usually top notch and beat out Navy Fed. Usually. You can chec them out at www.usaa.com.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a coffee can or mod your mattress. Screw a bank!! </div></div>

Probably the smartest choice ... the route which we are currently traveling...

Be sure to reread "MinorDamage" previous post.

This is a know brainer to follow but being new to banking I'd highly recommend not overlooking it.