• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who has gone back to a Harris?

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    And why?

And if you stuck with a Harris through the Atlas wave, why?

Contemplating this myself.

ive never left harris.......they do everything i need.......theyre durable and theyre cheap.

not as light and not as sexy as some of the other options...but neither is my wife...but ive stuck with her so i can stick with harris.

ive never left harris.......they do everything i need.......theyre durable and theyre cheap.

not as light and not as sexy as some of the other options...but neither is my wife...but ive stuck with her so i can stick with harris.
    :LOL: I'm just glad my wife thinks the same way you do!

I haven’t gone back but I won’t be getting rid of any. I like the Harris for ease of diployment. I like the Atlas for the douche bag pics with the legs forward lol. The both have pros and cons

I have never ever seen a legitimate situation where I needed to use the legs in the 45 degree forward position. Backwards yes, but not forwards.

No . I don’t miss the harmonic clang of the springs resonating when I release a shot . I have run an
    Atlas with legs 45 forward to get optic clearance under a loophole , and also prone sideways on a
    very steep hill .

Never left.

Only thing I changed was a lock pod and a Badger direct mount.

If you're having problems with your bipod, another bipod isn't going to fix it.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
    I never left. It does everything I have ever needed and I am invested in it. Have the talons and adm.

Maybe atlas and the even more expensive options are worth it but for now ignorance is bliss.

I have both but I use the harris more,I added the RRS pro clamp and it’s perfect.I use a bag for anything the harris can’t do.

Me 4. I have the spigot mount for my AI chassis and it works great. I'm running a Harris on everything else and generally prefer it over the Atlas.

For what it is worth I run an Atlas H5 on my AIAT. I find it great for competition and in the field hunting. I don’t miss the Harris

Reactions: davidwiz
    I have both. I didn't buy the QD Atlas, and I should have. It doesn't get the use it deserves because of this.
    I also have a Harris with the MPA DLoc rail mount and the PodLoc which I use much more. I like the Harris for being quickly deployable, and I also feel that the feet don't move as much when I load the bipod. Both of my bipods have the rubber feet, but the Atlas feet seem to "roll" when I load it.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
    I have both but use the Harris exclusively. I have added KMW Pod Lok and a ARMS QD lever. I also use the cut tubing on the springs which eliminates the twang.

Use both, the Atlas is permanently mounted on the long range bolt action, and the Harris is swapped between the AR-15's for IPSC use as it is cheap so I'm not afraid to break it, and it does the job. It is also quicker to deploy on the run than the Atlas.

Shit, I might have a harris laying around if someone wants it. You mean the old Harris Assault Vest issued by the army prior to Molle? Camo and has slanted mag pockets? Probably have the vest but I'll be keeping the belt if that's okay.

I'd just need something for shipping, I can stick it in a flat rate priority box. If I actually have it, which I think I do.

I prefer the old LBE suspenders and that's what I used as a SAW gunner. It was easier to get in the prone with those. Snipers used 'em too. Most riflemen used the Harris or later the Molle vest. There are better more updated options though.

I went Atlas initially, and then went to Harris and have not looked back. Atlas was too slow to adjust and deploy compared to the harris, needed two hands to extend the legs.

I have never ever seen a legitimate situation where I needed to use the legs in the 45 degree forward position. Backwards yes, but not forwards.

If you're shooting off of a bench that has a low seat, the ability to "lower" the height of the bipod via the 45 degree forward position is great. That's the only time I've done that.

If you're actually shooting with the legs at 45 forward, your accuracy is most likely crap. There's simply no way to load them at 45 degrees and the front of the rifle is essentially sitting on a spring. It's bipod hop on steroids.

Running the legs forward is gay. Gayer than Elton John and Samwell buttfucking on a rainbow gay.

I had one of the first Atlas bipods. That one sucked for mover stages because the big bottom tensioner screw would loosen with every shot as I panned across, causing the bipod to be 3/4 parallel to the rifle by the time the stage was finished. Not that there weren't good things about it otherwise. Yeah I know that problem has been taken care of. My bud just got the latest gen, I'm going to see how it does.

I've ran Harris otherwise with a podlock. One of my rifles weighs 24 lbs with the scope. It was pretty accurate but not as accurate as I thought it should be. I bought a LRA bipod for it. Man what a huge difference it made!! Just using a heavy duty bipod with it's extra stiffness and stability enabled me to immediately get smaller groups.

Otherwise I'm happy with Harris for the price for the other rifles.

Reactions: gigamortis
    I tried my first Atlas bipod it was a PSR. I put a RRS BTC pro on it just like I do with my Harris. I am less than impressed with it. In fact I sold it. I don't feel it offered anything that the Harris didn't as I am not one that will be using anything but the 90 degree leg position. If you are a 45 degree kind of guy I am sure its nice. I also didn't like the way the knob on the bottom is used to tension the cant. I much prefer the pod loc of the Harris. Now the Cal model looks like it employs that style and could like that, but for now I am just going to stick with my harris bipods now that I have tried the Atlas ones.

I used the Atlas for a while, went back to harris just because I felt like it was a touch more stable on prone with regards to cant. There are definitely times in matches where the atlas is an advantage though with the ability to lock the legs forward or backward. Also the harris with padlock can interfere with using it on front bag at times (atlas is thinner for this). But I would say I use the harris now 95% of the time.

I went atlas for a bit and on bench and prone i prefer it because its adjustable enough to get in the perfect position. Was not a huge fan of the pan feature as i was never sure my bipod was straight when i needed it to be. Nice for tracking movers but that's all. Would be nice if that was a lock/unlock feature.

Everywhere else i prefer harris. 95% of my shooting is prs style and having fast deployment and fold up is much more beneficial than having leg positions i dont need 98% of the time.

I sold my atlas and bought 3 harris bipods. Haven't missed the atlas yet.

Having been here since 2003, I've seen a lot of changes with the peeps that peruse our SH. just a short three or so years ago this thread would have brought war; at the least shouts of blasphemy over the besmirching of Atlas Bipods. Harris was clearly inferior and had no business on the well dressed cool guy bolt rifle. I know because it was usually me standing up for Harris bipods and getting my internet teeth caved in by all the Atlas faithful.
    I bring this up not to cause a fight but to just smile and say "I'm proud of you" for having the courage to "come out" with me.
    LOL

95% of my shooting is prs style and having fast deployment and fold up is much more beneficial than having leg positions i dont need 98% of the time.
    This is pretty much why I asked the question. After my first PRS club match this past weekend, I reflected on the things that went well and the things that didn't go so well........

Reactions: kindabitey
    Had a atlas, couldn’t stand the rotating legs. I realize the PRS model doesn’t do this but I’m not very interested in the atlas at this time. I’m busy putting Arca rails on all my rifles and adapters on all my harris bipods.
    It also appears that another big name company will be dropping a “atlas” like bipod this year.

I prefer the Atlas on my heavier recoiling rifles, have Harris on several others, but I run an Accu-Tac on my comp rifle.
    I shoot a lot of free recoil, and don't load up my bipod (or see why anyone would) shooting ultra-light recoiling 6X47L. I like how solid the Accu-Tac is and prefer it over both the Atlas and the Harris for this cartridge in competition/positional shooting. It's on a spigot, and stays off unless it's going to be used on that stage. Works perfect for me.

Never converted. Tried a couple atlas's and saw 0 reason to spend twice as much for a bipod I preferred less.

Reactions: Alarka
    Hypno,
    You really missed the point. You must have an Atlas to get "cool" pictures of your rifle. They are great, just not for field use. :)

The harris is night and day better with the podmod adapters. I have a 6-11 bipod now and there is a nice flex when you load it correctly. Havent had a need to deploy the legs in any other way so the Harris wins.

Same here, the Larue version is great.
    At first I balked at the $219 price. Then I started looking around at the price of the competition and realized what a bargain it is.

I actually use the Atlas 45 degrees forward when doing load development. TRG mags are short and loaded on a concrete bench with talon feet its solid. The chairs at the range I do that are way too low, the benches high, and I am short. But its slow to use in the field especially when adjusting leg height. If you could pull the legs out and hit a button to retract it would be a much better design.

This is pretty much why I asked the question. After my first PRS club match this past weekend, I reflected on the things that went well and the things that didn't go so well........

All depends on your matches too. The matches in my area are 90sec par times. Not enough time to fiddle with buttons if you need to fold/unfold your bipod. If i had 120sec like a lot of other areas it might be ok to stick with an atlas.

My advice though is if you go harris get a LEGIT harris. The caldwell and other bs brands dont compare and it WILL affect performance let alone durability. A podloc is also worth the $5 to $35 extra. BRM-S is the model youll want and is most used. I prefer 6-9" but others do well with longer. Depends on your body.

All depends on your matches too. The matches in my area are 90sec par times. Not enough time to fiddle with buttons if you need to fold/unfold your bipod. If i had 120sec like a lot of other areas it might be ok to stick with an atlas.
    Six stages, a mix of 120 and 90 sec par times.

One in particular, where a mix of prone and barricade shooting was involved, made me realize the advantage of pulling on a cord between the legs to open and then slapping the legs fwd to close them.

Six stages, a mix of 120 and 90 sec par times.

One in particular, where a mix of prone and barricade shooting was involved, made me realize the advantage of pulling on a cord between the legs to open and then slapping the legs fwd to close them.

Yup this was one that pushed me to go back to harris...and tire stages with 2 prone positions in it.

Push your gun down and rip back dragging the feet...auto folds your harris with no hand fiddling (y) one less thing to worry about under time.

Bought an atlas,spikes,leg extension and used it one time sold it that next Monday.

PITA deploy,PITA to extend/retract..tought me to worry less about bling and worry more about function.

Intended use of the rifle is a factor. I have a few Harris, including one LaRue version. I also have an Atlas CANT bipod that I bought for my heavy ELR rifle, used in a couple regular field matches and then relegated to the ELR use it was intended. The Atlas CANT is solid for the ELR work, but I'm still happy with how the Harris work for most of my regular use.

Reactions: RickyRodney
    @47guy

I’m looking to buy an Atlas CAL, what exactly gave you issue with deploying the Atlas? I’ve used a Harris before and found it very usable, just would like to hear about your particular problem with the Atlas.