• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who is running a .223 out to 1000yrds?

TheYoungConnoisseur

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2014
Who is running a 223 well beyond its effective range. I just finished a new setup last week w a custom er shaw 1:8twist 24in and its shooting unbelievably well. better than 1/4moa at 200 w smk 77gr hpbt, tho I know this wont translate beyond 4-500m. Im going to set up some 3x3ft plywood or maby even 5x5ft if required to get it to print at 1000yrds. I know people have done it in optimal conditions and since I have a range on my property I can wait for some dead air to connect it.
I like trying to push things past their "limits" and a 223 is cheap and fun to do that where a 338 or something equivalent I dont have the range/optics/ability to do that. Its like shooting my kimbers at 200yards, ton of fun even if your honly hitting 1/4th of your mag.
Im going to hve to get a chronograph so I can start making a long range drop chart a be able to verify it any rec's on good cheap chronos? Any bullets with a better BC than the 77gr SMK

442D9980-EAB0-45E9-B9F3-B8ADDA9BC4D4.jpg

When I went to 1k with a 223 it was a 1-7 24 inch barrel with 80gr sierras, 25.7 grains of varget. They were not magazine length they sat into the lands when chambered and It was a borrowed upper and his loads, it was accurate and lots of fun to spot your own trace into the target.
Seth

OP, will your scope/mount get you to 1K?

I've shot the 77-gr SMK's out of an 18" barrel out to 1000-yards, no problem hitting IPSC size steel repeatedly. Problem is that that little bullet doesn't do well in the wind, so I'd say 800-yards would be more of a realistic limit.

I have shot with one local guy using .223 at 1,000 yard F/TR match. He said he was using a Berger 90g around 2,900 FPS. If I recall it was a 29 or 30" tube.

I've shot my 16" AR out to 1000 using 75 Hornadys from the magazine.
The Hornady 75 is cheaper than the Sierra 77 and has a slightly higher BC and less bearing surface.
The load I've been using, based on its accuracy, has very little energy at that range.
At 900 yards it won't penetrate a U type garden post but will still splash the paint and ring steel.
With the tube on that rifle you can probably generate 100 fps over what most AR shooters are able to.
For reference take a look at what loads service rifle shooter are using for the long line.
I would highly recommend single loading a 75 amax, 80 SMK or Berger VLD.
Those will smoke any magazine fed load at long range.

The conditions have to be very favorable to get away with it.
Your location isn't listed in your profile and elevation has a lot to do with your success.
It's a whole lot easier to shoot an AR long range when you're 4500' asl.

I have a private range with a steel IDPA target that can be shot at from out to ~1200 yards. Our most popular shooting position was at 1060. The target is on a large steep hill that has rock/dirt mix surface that gives good splashes even when it is a little wet. I use a Leica 1600B for range and atmospheric conditions, the Shooter ap, and a kestrel for the wind. I use a CED M2 chrono with the infrared screens, and shoot often enough that I can set up the light conditions to make the chrono work it's best.

A favorite giggle factor / cheap entertainment gun is the Mossberg MVP varmint. 24" 1:9 shooting the 77 smk @ 2750 fps. The round starts to transition at 700 yards, hits sonic at 850, and is only going 975 fps when it hits the target. My personal best is 8 out of 10, lifetime average is ~ 50%. A buddy went 9 out of 10 once with his own MVP, but backed it up with a 3 for 10 to give an idea of the certainty. A lot of home field advantage / local knowledge drives the average up. That and being able to spot every shot. The 77 smk appears to transition great. If the wind isn't steady, it gets futile pretty quickly. The range is on the side of a ridge which gives no wind indicators other than at the target and shooting position, and the terrain is steep enough that there are vertical wind components.

175 smks from a 308 are much easier. A 140 amax from a 6.5 creedmoor is easier yet.

The 77 grain class of 223 bullets claim to fame is they fit in an AR magazine. Pretty much everything 80 has much better BCs. I'm setting up another gun to shoot 80 Amax's and Bergers from 2.500" 223s. The trajectory pencils out similar to 175 smk 308. I need an AR upper that shoots the 77s, but haven't gotten to it.

Sweet stick there, enjoy.

I shoot 75gr hornaday BTHP match bullets over varget at 1000. The gun is an ar with 26" white oak barrel 1/8 twist. Ballistic AE says they are going subsonic around 900 but they still hit consistently. If I single loaded I could push the bullet out further, and get more powder in the case, but it's more fun having a mag fed 1000 yard .233. I can get into a rhythm and correct shots as the wind changes. If the wind is somewhat consistent I can keep them on a 20x20 target.

Look for bullets that go subsonic without going unstable. Higher bc is nice but if it starts tumbling after 900 what's the point.

I've shot the 77-gr SMK's out of an 18" barrel out to 1000-yards, no problem hitting IPSC size steel repeatedly. Problem is that that little bullet doesn't do well in the wind, so I'd say 800-yards would be more of a realistic limit.

What powder? I have cfe and 8208 and 500 77 smk's trying to decide which way to start out.

I use N540 with LC NATO spec brass. I can get pretty close to the velocity of BHA Mk262, but I find it easier to just buy the BHA stuff as it's more of a hassle to load 556, compared to other cartridges I have to load for to get the accuracy I want.

I run an 18" 223 to 1000yd plenty. Shooting 80vld over 24.5gr varget and lapua brass @ 2800fps. It does quite well. Shot it out to 1k today as matter of fact at rayners monthly match with hits at 1000yds.

so the 77gr smk doesnt go transonic well but the hornady 75 and smk 80does? Did I gather that correctly?

Anyone want to whip me up a batch and sell me some stuff to test?

BTW im at about 800ft elevation

Last edited:
I can't speak for the Hornady 75's, but the SMK's are well known for being able to pass transonic and remain fairly stable.

I shoot 77SMK out to 1K frequently with zero issues. In a 20" gasser to boot. 1:7.7t Krieger

I used to shoot a 20" gasser @ 1K and used a 1"7.7 kreiger also. 80 JLK's with cci 450's, LC cases and VV540. My come ups were
less than a 107 going 2950, quite a bit less as I recall.

I run mine to 950 with about 7" group but over 1000 the group goes crazy, not supposed to be transonic either.

Savage 26" varmint 1:9
75 Amax, 24 gr Varget, cci SR primer, 2.426" COL, ~2800 fps

I do this too with smk 77's. 20" WOA barrel in an AR15 with a gemtech sandstorm.

It works but the bullet is hitting the steel so softly that hits are very difficult to detect. You have to take your ears off to hear it. And if there are others shooting at that moment, you will just never know if you hit it or not.

--Fargo007

Lots of us running .223's at Rayner's over the weekend , SakoBob was king , followed closely by Killswitch , MDM , Me . Mr. Rayner , MDM's dad and probably some I missed . I run 80gr A-max , [ 24.5 Varget ] , on everything except , I run 90VLD'S,[24.1 of Rel-15 ] AT 900 2 for 3 at 7.8 mil's and 3 for 3 at 1000 = 9.2 mil's , this is a 26'' Shilen 7 twist , on a Savage put together . Join the fun !!!

Where do I even start for handloading, i know thats really a whole new topic... Ive just been running the fiocchi exacta with the 77smk's with great success and just not sure how handloads can improve the system in which ive lucked out with. Just because its shooting amazing at 200 doesnt mean these factory rounds will continue to hold the .25moa out very far or is it reasonable to expect to be able say worst case if its shooting .5in at 200 to be shooting 2in at 600 all other variables accounted for? Other than for better consistency, what is the purpose of handloading if not for additional fps? Not like it would be safe to run a 77gr out to 3300fps anyways... or is it?

I want to start loading but Im just not convinced I will see a benefit at this point from the results im getting. How many other semis are shooing .25moa at 200 with 14.95$ box ammo?

Last edited:
Lots of us running .223's at Rayner's over the weekend , SakoBob was king , followed closely by Killswitch , MDM , Me . Mr. Rayner , MDM's dad and probably some I missed . I run 80gr A-max , [ 24.5 Varget ] , on everything except , I run 90VLD'S,[24.1 of Rel-15 ] AT 900 2 for 3 at 7.8 mil's and 3 for 3 at 1000 = 9.2 mil's , this is a 26'' Shilen 7 twist , on a Savage put together . Join the fun !!!

that was a ton of fun. some damn fine shooting when on there this weekend and topped it of with couple coarse high 223 scores. good shooting dwt

Hey Killswitch , as soon as the word gets out , we will have a worse time finding 80gr bullets , that we do now . LOL , I haven't been able to find any 90's in about 2 yrs. ? You smoked them little critters on Sat. with that shorty !!!

no shit. your're probably right about that. hopefully they just keep pumping em out lol. that sucks about those 90's and seems like the 75's are that way now too.

that stubby little sucker is fun. :p

I have had great success with the Berger 80 VLDs. I can load them for under 50c per round, zero recoil and good for 1000 yds.

Where do I even start for handloading, i know thats really a whole new topic... Ive just been running the fiocchi exacta with the 77smk's with great success and just not sure how handloads can improve the system in which ive lucked out with. Just because its shooting amazing at 200 doesnt mean these factory rounds will continue to hold the .25moa out very far or is it reasonable to expect to be able say worst case if its shooting .5in at 200 to be shooting 2in at 600 all other variables accounted for? Other than for better consistency, what is the purpose of handloading if not for additional fps? Not like it would be safe to run a 77gr out to 3300fps anyways... or is it?

I want to start loading but Im just not convinced I will see a benefit at this point from the results im getting. How many other semis are shooing .25moa at 200 with 14.95$ box ammo?

For the consistency. The best box ammo will not have the low ES that good handloads do. That means a lot more vertical on the box ammo compared to handloads.

I tried some Black Hills .308 once compared to my loads at a 600 yard match and the difference was significant. And Black Hills is darn good box ammo.

Fwiw, I shot a factory 69 grain scenar out of a 5R 700 .223 to 975 yards. It was subsonic about 200 yards before it got there.

Here is a link to a guys journey of taking a .223 to a mile
Shooting A 223 Rifle To A Mile Accurately

was a lot of fun making the trip. The biggest issue was finding scopes that had alot of internal adjustment. At the time I made the trip, very few options. Today, a number of great choices which would make set up so much easier.

Hrn 75gr and 80gr amx will make the trip. today I would use 90gr VLDs - if Berger ever makes more.

Berger 80gr VLD's would be a great alternative.

No issue at 1450yds with any of these heavies.

Just make sure you use a very precise scale. You will need to keep loads to within 0.02 to 0.04gr accuracy... 0.02gr is 1 kernel of Varget or H4350. If you want to maintain sub MOA at ELR and the 223.
Jerry

Jerry, your article was the deciding factor on building my 26" AR. Thanks for the hard work and pushing the limits.

Who is running a 223 well beyond its effective range. I just finished a new setup last week w a custom er shaw 1:8twist 24in and its shooting unbelievably well. better than 1/4moa at 200 w smk 77gr hpbt, tho I know this wont translate beyond 4-500m. Im going to set up some 3x3ft plywood or maby even 5x5ft if required to get it to print at 1000yrds. I know people have done it in optimal conditions and since I have a range on my property I can wait for some dead air to connect it.
I like trying to push things past their "limits" and a 223 is cheap and fun to do that where a 338 or something equivalent I dont have the range/optics/ability to do that. Its like shooting my kimbers at 200yards, ton of fun even if your honly hitting 1/4th of your mag.
Im going to hve to get a chronograph so I can start making a long range drop chart a be able to verify it any rec's on good cheap chronos? Any bullets with a better BC than the 77gr SMK

442D9980-EAB0-45E9-B9F3-B8ADDA9BC4D4.jpg

Only part of this i can contribute to is to answer your question on decent cheap chrono 's. I have had good success with my $89 Caldwell from Midway. Came with a Aux cord which attaches to my iPad (or iPhone) and the App is free. Have used it in overcast and direct sunlight for several hours and it gave comparable #'s

Jerry, your article was the deciding factor on building my 26" AR. Thanks for the hard work and pushing the limits.

No Worries... was alot of fun. At that distance, miss a wind call and the drift is hilarious

See if I get some time this fall before the US Nationals. Want to see what will happen to my FTR load as far as I have elevation for (maybe 1500yds???).

I know 1200yds was a chip shot.

Some days the wind cooperates.

Enjoy and have fun.

Jerry

I run mine to 950 with about 7" group but over 1000 the group goes crazy, not supposed to be transonic either.

Savage 26" varmint 1:9
75 Amax, 24 gr Varget, cci SR primer, 2.426" COL, ~2800 fps

Curious based on your statement above, have you tried paper beyond 1000 yards to see if 75's are key holing?

My proofed 1000 yard loads are very similar to yours running 2960 to 3003 fps depending on atmosphere.

sent via Tapatalk

I'm very surprised how many of you all run 5.56 out to a grand... I never thought about attempting such a thing. 500 yards for the hell of it because there was a gong yes but never further.

I shoot my White Oak Service rifle to 1000 yards. Using 80 SMPs 24.4 gr RL15 Fed Match primers and Winchester brass. When I got it John (of WOA) told me to use my 600 yard zero and turn the front sight 4 revolutions down.

It works. Its not as forgiving in the wind as my M1A, but I've still shot some fair scores with it. I cant say its fair to compare it with my M1A since I got a gazzilian more rounds at 1000 with the MIA. I'm thinking its me, just need more rounds down range to learn how to use the AR at distance.

Again Wyoming winds arnt 223 friendly, but I have windage knobs, just need to learn to use them.

When I went to 1k with a 223 it was a 1-7 24 inch barrel with 80gr sierras, 25.7 grains of varget. They were not magazine length they sat into the lands when chambered and It was a borrowed upper and his loads, it was accurate and lots of fun to spot your own trace into the target.
Seth

Mine is almost the same with 80 AMAX (which I hope Hornady starts making again)

pointed 82 berger at 2910...matches my 6.5x47 to 800, and is only .2 mils more wind at 1000. I'm supersonic to something like 1200. If all distance targets had impact indicators (flashers), I'd run it in a match exclusively.

I shoot the same bullet at 3010 out of my 223ai, and it does even better.