• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who is thinking about the new Bronco?

Do you think any recently manufactured vehicle will be considered "classic", in the classic sense of classic. The only reason any of the shit produced today will be desirable is that it's better than the shit produced tomorrow. If you can fix it at all, which you won't be able to.

We can't get chips for stuff we made last year, forget completely five years ago. You can't machine chips in your shop, and none of this latest car crap works without chips.

8086 chips first came out in the late 70s and are still made today.

The computer systems in all cars today are well described in publicly available manuals within 3 years of the car coming out.

You just have to know where to look.

Computer driven fuel and transmissions in cars today make the cars much safer to drive and for the right driver, open up all the car's capabilities.

8086 chips first came out in the late 70s and are still made today.

The computer systems in all cars today are well described in publicly available manuals within 3 years of the car coming out.

You just have to know where to look.

Computer driven fuel and transmissions in cars today make the cars much safer to drive and for the right driver, open up all the car's capabilities.
I think everything is still using the "CANBUS" system as well. Controller Area Network or Central Area Network or Common Automotive Network, depending on who you ask. Makes development cheaper and lets code, etc. move across widest variety of vehicles, reducing cost. Then again... CANBUS might be 20 years old and I am out of date on that.

But common parts, ports, software, etc. So if folks can break into one system, a lot of others can get easily taken down. There is a lot of upside to software in cars. But security needs to be air tight.

Skynet anyone? Just 'sayin.

Sirhr

I would love to have a new Bronco - seems like a badass truck. I will let a whole lot of folks deal with Ford's inability to produce a first year car that doesn't suck a dead donkey diller.

Normally, I would say that whole "first-year" thing isn't really a big deal. In fact, those vehicles normally get so much extra attention at the plant and dealership that they can end up better than what follows (particularly if they are premium lower-volume builds).

But Ford lately has not demonstrated excellence in launching new product, maybe because they didn't have much practice at doing so for quite a few years (the Fields years were particularly quiet). So when the Explorer and its new platform came along, and Ford decided to do an "on-the-fly" retooling of the Chicago plant, there were a lot of things that could go wrong, and they did. Murphy lives in assembly plants.

The specific concern I'd have this year is that the supply disruptions have screwed up every auto plant, and new launches may (will?) not get the attention they deserve. There will already be perhaps a hundred thousand (or more!) partially-built F-series trucks and SUVs sitting in parking lots and fields around the country, awaiting parts and any necessary rework. That would stretch thin the resources of any company.

It should be a good summer for contract assembly labor and QA/QC companies.

I think everything is still using the "CANBUS" system as well. Controller Area Network or Central Area Network or Common Automotive Network, depending on who you ask. Makes development cheaper and lets code, etc. move across widest variety of vehicles, reducing cost. Then again... CANBUS might be 20 years old and I am out of date on that.

But common parts, ports, software, etc. So if folks can break into one system, a lot of others can get easily taken down. There is a lot of upside to software in cars. But security needs to be air tight.

Skynet anyone? Just 'sayin.

Sirhr

CAN is still the industry standard. There are many vehicles that also use LIN as a lower-cost, lower-bandwidth communication network.

The issue is that while virtually all the hardware is compliant with the original Bosch CAN 2.0 spec, each manufacturer implements its own messaging structure. This can be reverse-engineered with some tedious work. Furthermore, the embedded firmware that generates those messages and responds according to received data is incredibly complex. Reverse-engineering that is considerably more difficult, but has been done by the guys who develop and sell powertrain tuning technology. Furthermore, the latest vehicles are using various cybersecurity measures to prevent unauthorized access to the bus and modules. Reverse-engineering this stuff will not be trivial. Fortunately, if one uses identical hardware, there are standard industry practices to obtain and program the necessary application code.

Going back to the hardware, some of the silicon IC necessary to build older modules has gone EOL in the past several years. The semiconductor companies have generally been very good to support this stuff, but everything eventually comes to an end.

The bottom line is that reverse-engineering a basic module is completely possible (and indeed has been done by some of the larger aftermarket part companies), but "serious" stuff like powertrain and chassis controllers probably won't be duplicated unless there is a very compelling reason to do so.

I've got some GM stuff that still works after 35 years. With few exceptions, modern electrical hardware will outlive the rest of the vehicle. Electromechanical stuff - particularly wiring and connectors - is another matter altogether.

Reactions: OREGUN
The only way this happens is if someone buys a vehicle today and sits it in a garage, don't drive it, just maintain it and then maybe it will be worth some money in about 30 years.

Even that is pretty tricky. BaT had a Buick GNX with 202 miles that went unsold at $150k. If it had sold, it'd only represent a ~5% annual ROI. Not exactly great.

The game that apparently is preferred by the wealthy is to obtain a limited-production exotic, own it just long enough to generate some revenue from monetized social media channels, and then flip it for a profit before it becomes passé.

Reactions: Bender
CAN is still the industry standard. There are many vehicles that also use LIN as a lower-cost, lower-bandwidth communication network.

The issue is that while virtually all the hardware is compliant with the original Bosch CAN 2.0 spec, each manufacturer implements its own messaging structure. This can be reverse-engineered with some tedious work. Furthermore, the embedded firmware that generates those messages and responds according to received data is incredibly complex. Reverse-engineering that is considerably more difficult, but has been done by the guys who develop and sell powertrain tuning technology. Furthermore, the latest vehicles are using various cybersecurity measures to prevent unauthorized access to the bus and modules. Reverse-engineering this stuff will not be trivial. Fortunately, if one uses identical hardware, there are standard industry practices to obtain and program the necessary application code.

Going back to the hardware, some of the silicon IC necessary to build older modules has gone EOL in the past several years. The semiconductor companies have generally been very good to support this stuff, but everything eventually comes to an end.

The bottom line is that reverse-engineering a basic module is completely possible (and indeed has been done by some of the larger aftermarket part companies), but "serious" stuff like powertrain and chassis controllers probably won't be duplicated unless there is a very compelling reason to do so.

I've got some GM stuff that still works after 35 years. With few exceptions, modern electrical hardware will outlive the rest of the vehicle. Electromechanical stuff - particularly wiring and connectors - is another matter altogether.
Yeah. I actually love some of the modern electronics - probably because I’m an electronics guy. A car that tells me what’s wrong? Yes, please.

The ECU in one of my vehicles just turned 30 years old and is still kicking.

I do wish we had more and deeper standards to work with though. Most systems on a car today are predictable and so we could for sure have uniform and powerful OBD III specs.

Do you think any recently manufactured vehicle will be considered "classic", in the classic sense of classic.

Some of them will.

1920s hotrods etc were "Classic" because the 1940s/50s guys who used to drive them got old/rich and now they can blow money on them to relive their youth. However those are going by the wayside because the old guys who spend money on them are dying off.

"Muscle" cars from the 60s/70s are now "Classic" because the newer crop of old guys with money want to buy the cars they lusted after when they were teens but couldn't afford.

The trick is picking out what will be a classic.

Reactions: camocorvette
Yeah. I actually love some of the modern electronics - probably because I’m an electronics guy. A car that tells me what’s wrong? Yes, please.

The ECU in one of my vehicles just turned 30 years old and is still kicking.

I do wish we had more and deeper standards to work with though. Most systems on a car today are predictable and so we could for sure have uniform and powerful OBD III specs.

Better watch out or else the Pit troglodytes will jump in your shit for that kind of talk :LOL:

I'm also a fan of electronics. It's kinda awesome having a car that makes more than 650 RWHP on pump gas (or almost 100 more on corn juice, without re-tuning thanks to the flex fuel sensor) that starts in freezing temperatures, idles at 700 RPM, and doesn't knock when the coolant temp goes north of 250F on a hot day at the track. It gets 15 MPG on the highway, doesn't ever foul the plugs, and provides useful information in the unlikely event that something goes wrong. If I make a change to the hard parts, a few keystrokes recalibrates the fuel and spark curves. I can turn on and off features like decel fuel cut-off with a click of a mouse. If I want a helping hand to control torque during corner exit or establish a stable launch RPM, that's available, or I can do those tasks myself.

There is indeed so much more info on the serial communication bus (or rather, buses in most new cars) than what you can see via OBDII. Most manufacturers tend to obfuscate this stuff for a variety of reasons. The best suggestion I can give is to support Right To Repair legislation, and support those who provide aftermarket diagnostic tools for your vehicle of choice.

Reactions: Bender
Yeah I squeezed a 351W into my Bronco first chance I got. Its like a plane though- 2 hours of maintenance for one hour of engine time.

View attachment 7374756
I have a 74 Bronco and a 351W that I am going to have some work done to before I put it into my Bronco. I am thinking about an edelbrock kit/power package (matched heads, intake, cam).

The issue is that while virtually all the hardware is compliant with the original Bosch CAN 2.0 spec, each manufacturer implements its own messaging structure. This can be reverse-engineered with some tedious work. Furthermore, the embedded firmware that generates those messages and responds according to received data is incredibly complex. Reverse-engineering that is considerably more difficult..
I work on this from an OEM point of view every day. One of my clients, I design service tools and related stuff.

The above entirely. Custom overlays are de-rigueur but I think a terrible, terrible idea that stifles innovation and ruins compatibility and capabilities.

Reverse engineering? Without speaking too much out of school, it's often very poorly conceived, new snazzy things rely on legacy methods so we have all-caps databases and hilariously small storage spaces or transfer speeds, there are mistakes that are never fixed because That's How We've Always Done It, messages are full of typos, etc.

I am so hoping that with moves to stuff like subscriptions to use hardware that is actually installed, it will reach a tipping point of no one tolerating it and we'll get corner convert-your-car shops, so I can just go buy a Golf Mk1 or a 1960s crew cab Power Wagon, get an EV powertrain and electronics installed but... they are all a +/- open architecture so when the dashboard touchscreen breaks or is too old, I unplug it and plug in a new one. Throwing away a car because some ECU is bad and hard to replace is crazy stuff.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Here's a video of the Bronco going thru what is referred to as Hell's Revenge in the Moab, Utah area.
youtube.com/watch?v=rx34Tbefh4A
It's cool to see what these new vehicles are capable of doing.

That bronco...It's ugly as fuck. Just like the new Chevy 2500 trucks. My God, who designs these ugly vehicles?

🤮

images (15).jpeg

Here is another video that shows what the new Ford Bronco is capable of doing as well as diff. modifications available.

It's a video by people who are Jeep owners. Watch and enjoy.

Last edited:
Looks awesome.

If you're into looks, it's just for you.

It's a piece of shit, for the price.

I was digging the idea of it. Then I saw it. Then I looked at the configuration-builder on the Ford website. Not really taken by it.

I bought a Ranger Tremor. Hate it. Don’t get the 2.3L engine and 10 speed. Clunky, jerky crap. And I hope the same engineer that did the brake pedal/system on the Ranger was fired before he/she got to touch the Bronco. Smooshy garbage.

View attachment 7374216

Homemade Vehicle Titled as a "65 Ford" with historic plates. I will never again need inspections or renewals...sooo, yes, it is technically "street legal", in as much as I have valid, motor vehicle plates that are registered to me, but it's probably not in the conventional sense. I have to keep a log book for how many miles I put on it, and I'm only allowed something like 200miles/year if it's not to a shop, a tour, or an educational endevour, but I've never heard of anyone getting popped for it.
Factory Five?

600hp, less than 2000lbs and that rubber must be downright violent.

I was more impressed by the pic of the older bronco made in the USA than the new bronco .

Reactions: Jgunner
I would buy a 4runner and pay someone to engine swap it or depending on year, supercharge it, put a high quality mid travel kit and gears/lockers and have a reliable vehicle that would go anywhere. Maybe even a 100 series land cruiser with some minimal mods and have a bitchen vehicle. But i know, you can’t take the doors off like the bronco. Lol

So the wife saw it, got all excited, and jumped on the list to reserve one. She's getting the 2-door. I dig it...can't wait to cruise it with the top off.

View attachment 7374132

Update:

The wife got it and it's fucking awesome. It's an Outerbanks, 2-door, Sasquatch package with the better gearing and 2.7turbo. It's surprisingly fast in sport mode. I'm actually impressed with this, Ford has hit a homerun. To my knowledge this is the first modular vehicle, that's freaking cool as hell.

I can't wait to wheel it. I think we are hitting Moab in the spring. I was expecting it to be good but I gotta say, it's better than I expected. I'm a Toyota guy and that's what I daily drive and offroad but if I was in the market for a new one, I would seriously consider this. Well done Ford, you fucking nailed it.

Parked next to one of the new Broncos (2-door and not the Sport). Thing is huge. Thing is bigger than my 4-door Explorer (older generation), and taller too.

shopscene.jpg

View attachment 7770003

I had thought about building my own Bronco from new parts, there's an outfit in Montana that offers a fully galvanized frame, and I'd drop a 302 fuel injected crate motor into it.

Problem is I don't have a garage or workshop to house such a project, nor the time.

Normally, I would say that whole "first-year" thing isn't really a big deal. In fact, those vehicles normally get so much extra attention at the plant and dealership that they can end up better than what follows (particularly if they are premium lower-volume builds).

But Ford lately has not demonstrated excellence in launching new product, maybe because they didn't have much practice at doing so for quite a few years (the Fields years were particularly quiet). So when the Explorer and its new platform came along, and Ford decided to do an "on-the-fly" retooling of the Chicago plant, there were a lot of things that could go wrong, and they did. Murphy lives in assembly plants.

The specific concern I'd have this year is that the supply disruptions have screwed up every auto plant, and new launches may (will?) not get the attention they deserve. There will already be perhaps a hundred thousand (or more!) partially-built F-series trucks and SUVs sitting in parking lots and fields around the country, awaiting parts and any necessary rework. That would stretch thin the resources of any company.

It should be a good summer for contract assembly labor and QA/QC companies.
When I think of first year and Ford I think of the failed 6.0. What a horrific piece of shit that engine was!

"

3. Ford Super Duty 6.0L​

Ford has also had its share of poorly designed diesel engine trucks. The 6.0L Ford's engine didn't make the cut. In fact, this modern diesel engine was one of the worst ones.

There was, in fact, a lawsuit between Navistar and Ford over this engine. The suit cited issues with the head gasket and fuel system repairs.

Any repairs made to this issues required the cab to be removed. Just imagine how expensive this repair is.

4. Ford Super Duty 6.4L​

After the 6.0L engine fiasco, Ford decided to replace this truck with the 6.4L heavy duty.

This truck, however, wasn't much better than the 6.0L. It still has many issues which include the same fuel system failure as the 6.0L.

The truck is also infamous for oil dilution, which leads to a lack of lubrication and the end result is engine failure."

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Out
I had thought about building my own Bronco from new parts, there's an outfit in Montana that offers a fully galvanized frame, and I'd drop a 302 fuel injected crate motor into it.

Problem is I don't have a garage or workshop to house such a project, nor the time.
Get on the Classic Ford Bronco site. There are a few people that are putting frames out there and body tubs among just about everything else.

Update:

The wife got it and it's fucking awesome. It's an Outerbanks, 2-door, Sasquatch package with the better gearing and 2.7turbo. It's surprisingly fast in sport mode. I'm actually impressed with this, Ford has hit a homerun. To my knowledge this is the first modular vehicle, that's freaking cool as hell.

I can't wait to wheel it. I think we are hitting Moab in the spring. I was expecting it to be good but I gotta say, it's better than I expected. I'm a Toyota guy and that's what I daily drive and offroad but if I was in the market for a new one, I would seriously consider this. Well done Ford, you fucking nailed it.
Well, give it 30k miles, if its still great give it 100k miles. In 10 years if it isn’t scrapped and it still runs, has 200k miles, asking prices half of what they are new or more, then we can compare it to a toyota.

I am positive the only reason ford is still around is they will sell a car to people with shit credit or no credit. They have some great engines, but like gm, its surrounded by a turd. All these bells and whistle electronics will start to fail and they will be expensive to fix.

Out of all my customers, the ford owners have their stuff in the shop while still under warranty, more than any other. It’s usually little dumb stuff. Rear hatch lift struts, nav/head unit, steering wheel controls, small oil leaks and stuff like that. These are vehicles well under 50k miles. What happens at 100k? A guy named juan buys them for a lot less than it cost new.

• Haha
Reactions: Riverlife87
Well, give it 30k miles, if its still great give it 100k miles. In 10 years if it isn’t scrapped and it still runs, has 200k miles, asking prices half of what they are new or more, then we can compare it to a toyota.

Exactly. I know SO many people - including myself - that have had incredibly unacceptable, huge issues with Ford's turbo engines and quality. They really put money into this design and it shows and I'm excited to see its longevity and durability in the real world. It's a cool-looking ride. But I am so sick of Ford's poor reliability and cheaping out on components that, in my own experience, I'm not even looking at a Bronco. Not until it proves to be legitimately durable. I'd rather have an out of date FJ (after the frame issue, haha) than this thing right now.

Reactions: Jgunner
When I think of first year and Ford I think of the failed 6.0. What a horrific piece of shit that engine was!

"

3. Ford Super Duty 6.0L​

Ford has also had its share of poorly designed diesel engine trucks. The 6.0L Ford's engine didn't make the cut. In fact, this modern diesel engine was one of the worst ones.

There was, in fact, a lawsuit between Navistar and Ford over this engine. The suit cited issues with the head gasket and fuel system repairs.

Any repairs made to this issues required the cab to be removed. Just imagine how expensive this repair is.

4. Ford Super Duty 6.4L​

After the 6.0L engine fiasco, Ford decided to replace this truck with the 6.4L heavy duty.

This truck, however, wasn't much better than the 6.0L. It still has many issues which include the same fuel system failure as the 6.0L.

The truck is also infamous for oil dilution, which leads to a lack of lubrication and the end result is engine failure."

I've got a Power Stroke 6.0, in a 2004 E350 van. The people that bitch about working on pickup trucks don't have a clue.

I've also got a Power Stroke 6.4L, in a 2008 F250. At least it's a Job 3 truck.

I also have a EcoBoost 3.5L, in a 2010 Flex.

These vehicles have taught me a lot about first model years. The biggest thing they've taught me is to not believe everything I read on the internet.

• Haha
Reactions: D1gger and Jim Out
I've got a Power Stroke 6.0, in a 2004 E350 van. The people that bitch about working on pickup trucks don't have a clue.

I've also got a Power Stroke 6.4L, in a 2008 F250. At least it's a Job 3 truck.

I also have a EcoBoost 3.5L, in a 2010 Flex.

These vehicles have taught me a lot about first model years. The biggest thing they've taught me is to not believe everything I read on the internet.
I know more than a few people that have horror stories about the 6.0. I also hear "stories" about how it is "bulletproofed" until it isn't. I can look at a couple of 6.0's to tell me al I need to know, I don't need the internet for that.

"

3. Ford Super Duty 6.0L​

4. Ford Super Duty 6.4L​

You do realize that it isn't uncommon to remove the cab to work on diesel engines in modern trucks. The cab must be removed to replace a turbo in the 2015 and probably newer Chevy/GMC trucks as well.

It was also the federal gov't fault that Ford got rid of the 7.3L Powerstroke. It could not pass their bullshit emissions regulations anymore so they had to go to something else. Same thing with the current DEF fluid systems. There isn't a single manufacturer that doesn't have problems with that system. Once again, the fed gov't is to blame for that.

I know more than a few people that have horror stories about the 6.0. I also hear "stories" about how it is "bulletproofed" until it isn't. I can look at a couple of 6.0's to tell me al I need to know, I don't need the internet for that.

It's not an engine that is tolerant of an owner who wants to skimp on maintenance or ignore the symptoms of certain component failures, that much is certain.

Reactions: BCX
It wasn’t just the engine that was shit on those either.
A guy i knew had to have all the steering replaced at 25k, oil leaks under 32k, egr at 32k, exhaust issue around 50k, head gaskets went around 60k when it went to get bulletproofed it blew up again at 70k miles, 75k miles the trans went. It never really even towed, other than something a v6 truck could haul.

You do realize that it isn't uncommon to remove the cab to work on diesel engines in modern trucks. The cab must be removed to replace a turbo in the 2015 and probably newer Chevy/GMC trucks as well.

It was also the federal gov't fault that Ford got rid of the 7.3L Powerstroke. It could not pass their bullshit emissions regulations anymore so they had to go to something else. Same thing with the current DEF fluid systems. There isn't a single manufacturer that doesn't have problems with that system. Once again, the fed gov't is to blame for that.
I hear you. The 7.3 is one of the greats! Then the CP4 failure with Ultra low sulfur diesel. I am tracking that one.

You want to get really pissed off? Read about the guy that made up that EPA science BS and how he weaponized the EPA to manipulate business for gain! But, nobody did anything to stop him, he was Clintons boy! https://www.epw.senate.gov/public/_...b37-8810-32fa21b6e6bd/epaplaybookunveiled.pdf

It's not an engine that is tolerant of an owner who wants to skimp on maintenance or ignore the symptoms of certain component failures, that much is certain.
My philosophy on things that fall within the scope of Murphy's Law...

.....fixed my '84 4runner with a stick and a leatherman tool, fixed my buggy with a matchbook and a leatherman.

Opera Snapshot_2021-12-28_174455_duckduckgo.com.png

I hear you. The 7.3 is one of the greats! Then the CP4 failure with Ultra low sulfur diesel. I am tracking that one.

You want to get really pissed off? Read about the guy that made up that EPA science BS and how he weaponized the EPA to manipulate business for gain! But, nobody did anything to stop him, he was Clintons boy! https://www.epw.senate.gov/public/_...b37-8810-32fa21b6e6bd/epaplaybookunveiled.pdf

Have you seen ""nice guys"?

Not posting spoilers, but this^^^^^

How do you like my car big boy?

• Haha
Reactions: stefan73
If only Ford offered a non-turbo V6 or V8 with a manual transmission in the new Bronco, along with ordering it void of all the BS crap like touch screen, etc. But I guess I can only dream.

Not sure about everyone else ive had great experiences with all my fords, several gas ones sold over 200k miles and diesels with 300k+ Miles even put 100k miles on a 6.0 psd only thing i did was swap the oil cooler and delete egr (myself ) when i got it. I have a bronco on reservation havent pulled the trigger yet. Cant decide if it will fit our needs.