• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Who makes best one piece aluminum scope base?

NotoriousAPP

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2014
I'm building up my first rifle, it will have to do double duty as a hunting and long range bench rifle for the time being until I build a dedicated precision rifle. I love the idea of a one piece steel scope base but I don't like the added weight and I would like to try to use an aluminum mount. My requirements are that the mount is made from 7075-T6 aluminum and is a one piece; I don't want 6061-T6. Does anyone have recommendations besides the EGW HD? Here are the rifle details in case this helps

• Savage 110
  • Sporter barrel (I will be upgrading to a medium varmint barrel soon)
  • Viper PST 6-24x50
  • TPS TSR rings - low (I don't have these yet but I will order them the same time I order the mount)

I know a lot of you want to say, "it's not that much weight difference considering the weight of the entire rifle". I'm of the same mindset but my hunting rifle is getting heavy. First I went from sporter barrel to varmint, then I went from Viper PST 2.5-10x44 to 4-6x50, then I added a Saker 7.62....you get the idea. A man has to say enough at some point. I don't see why a good 7075 aluminum base won't work as good as a steel base and save some money at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Might try weaver. Not sure if they make a long action savage model. I have one on a savage 10, seems nice enough for a cheap rail that even has a lug built in. Really not sure that 6061 vs 7075 is that critical. The egw HD might be it.

Seekins for sure

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Did you have a specific Seekins model in mind? I did look at some of their stuff but I did not see something in 7075 for the Savage long action. Maybe I missed it.

Weaver makes one for both the SA10 & LA110. Got mine from Midway. Solid, works great.

For future forum reference, it looks like this would be the Weaver model 413 (48425) for the Savage long action.

I can't tell if this is machined from 6061-T6 or 7075-T6 Aluminum. Weaver's website doesn't say. I'm guessing 6061-T6 since the mount only cost $20.

Last edited:
Did you have a specific Seekins model in mind? I did look at some of their stuff but I did not see something in 7075 for the Savage long action. Maybe I missed it.

Ah 110. All the seekins is 7075 but it looks like they're only making one for the 10. Sorry.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The one that I have is not the $20 version. It is actually the Weaver (model 99493) Midway product number #863438. They make one for the flat rear and round rear Savage receiver. Screw holes did align perfectly, but there was a slight gap between the base and the rear portion of the receiver. It was so slight that it was probably negligible, but I had just watched the video about bedding the base and wanted to give it a go. Bedded it with JB Weld, rock solid, no issues after 1yr.

Might try weaver. Not sure if they make a long action savage model. I have one on a savage 10, seems nice enough for a cheap rail that even has a lug built in. Really not sure that 6061 vs 7075 is that critical. The egw HD might be it.

I heard back from Weaver. The Weaver mount is machined from 2014-T6 aluminum. This is going to be relatively "soft" compared to 6061 and especially 7075 which is quite hard. The best analogy I can give is that, if you had a bar of 2014 and 7075, 2014 is more likely to bend than 7075; the 7075 would most likely crack/break before it bent.

2014 Aluminum - mainly copper, some silicon and magnesium
7075 Aluminum - mainly zinc, some magnesium and copper

I see pros and cons to 2014.
Pro: for scope mounts I would want something hard for the rings to latch onto but I guess I could see the upside to soft Alumnimum as well, I would imagine that the scope mounts will slightly indent into the base thereby reducing movement of the scope rings under recoil.
Con: when the rings indent on the 2014 the base of the rings are no longer co-planar which means the center line of your scope rings are no longer lined up.

I'm probably over thinking this.

The one that I have is not the $20 version. It is actually the Weaver (model 99493) Midway product number #863438. They make one for the flat rear and round rear Savage receiver. Screw holes did align perfectly, but there was a slight gap between the base and the rear portion of the receiver. It was so slight that it was probably negligible, but I had just watched the video about bedding the base and wanted to give it a go. Bedded it with JB Weld, rock solid, no issues after 1yr.

Ah, ok. This item is 6061-T6. Thanks.

I'm guessing you're referring to the 8541tactical.com youtube video on scope base bedding?

Last edited:
Yeah thats the one. Mostly I just lurk here to pick up nuggets of information, like that video. I don't have the wealth of experience that many on here do, but dollar for dollar I think that base is a good item. Good luck with the rest of the build. On a side note, how do you like the PST?

Yeah thats the one. Mostly I just lurk here to pick up nuggets of information, like that video. I don't have the wealth of experience that many on here do, but dollar for dollar I think that base is a good item. Good luck with the rest of the build. On a side note, how do you like the PST?

I don't have the PST yet, it's been shipped but not in my hands yet. I went to Cabelas and checked Vortex, Nikon, Zeiss and Nightforce scopes. I thought the Viper PST had the best glass and functionality. I could have been convinced to go with the nightforce, the optics and reticle were quite good but it was not illuminated so it was out. I paid $799 total including shipping and tax for the PST, seemed like a no brainer.

That midway model listed is the one i have. It came from brownells a couple yrs ago, think i paid 25-28 at the time. It was a good fit to my all round model 10, no gap or need to bed in my case. Typically the all round receivers have less issue then the old half rd/half flat actions.

Good deal on the PST. I'm leaning that way when it comes time to upgrade glass. I have always been impressed with Vortex products.

I ended up buying the Farrell 20MA base since EGW did not have in stock the 20 MOA base in Aluminum for long action with a flat back, in fact, I wouldn't find anyone that did. Parts for this receiver type are hard to find.....once again, the market underserves the Savage 110.