• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who makes good 'match grade' AR barrels?

I'm not saying this is a reason why you're seeing poor accuracy with heavy bullets but you should check the barrel twist with a cleaning rod.

If it comes up slower than 1 twist in 8", that would explain poor accuracy with heavy bullets. It might keyhole if it's bad enough.

Some times the wrong blank gets used or the barrel gets marked wrong.

As said by many, chrome lined barrels are not the best for accuracy, a 1.5 MOA chrome lined barrel is a good one.

I'm not trolling you, but I will ask a blunt question:

How good are you behind the rifles?

You've stated twice in the same thread that you have had terrible accuracy from THREE different--and generally accepted as high quality--barrels.

AR rifles do require some technique and handling at a level different than a bolt gun.

Like I said, not an attack by any means, but your factual statements could use an little defense in light of the media and the sheer number of load combinations you tried to manage.

I appreciate your concern. I own a number of accurate rifles. A GAP 10, SR-25 Remington 40XBKS and a Hart barreled 700. The SR-25 is a 1 MOA gun, but the others regularly shoot under 1 MOA including the GAP 10. I own about 30 Rifles, but only a few of them will shoot under 1 MOA

I have been around the block a few times. Rather than giving you my Resume, The patch you see in my Avatar is actually a patch I wore on a real Tactical Team I was on for 27 years. The upper tab you see reads" MOA Operator" It was a tab I earned shooting on my SNIPER team. I have graduated from two FBI L/E SNIPER schools. I did qualify EXPERT in USMC boot camp when I was a youngster with the M-16A1. I've been reloading and shooting AR-15's since the early 1970's. I own about 5 AR-15's but in the past two years, I wanted to get a real accurate 223 barrel.

I do realize it is easy to blame the shooter of the loads. For the life of me, I don't know why I've had suck poor luck with getting an exceptionally accurate AR 15 barrel. Like i said, I may just need to send an upper to Compass lake and have them put on a Krieger rather than messing around with these other barrels.

Just a little heads up if your looking for a accurate ar do not buy a chrome lined barrel. And also just send it back to Brownells they are great to work with.

I’ve had two KAC SR-15’s, two LMT MWS’s, and BCM barrel that were 1/2 minute guns. Chrome lined barrels can be extremely accurate.

Think my old reliable Stag AR that I've dragged all over the world needs a new barrel. It's always just been a M193 thrower, but was trying to get some handloads for hunting through it and I think it deserves a new, better barrel after 12+ years.

Who makes really good, 'match grade' AR barrels? Am trying to decide if I should stay with a carbine gas length or go mid length but regardless, want a match grade barrel. Additionally, since I'm shooting M193 mainly as well as some hunting loads (55g ballistic tips) should I stay with a 1:9 or go 1:8 or 1:7?

I have built numerous AR rifles with barrels from Spikes, JT , Ballistics Advantage and other so called match grade manufacturers and I will tell you none of them come close to Wilson Combat Stainless Steel barrels , I now own 4 Wilson barrels and they are all truly "match grade " as advertised . I like their proprietary 7.62 x 40 WT round . It is the same concept as the .300 Blackout except the case is cut longer, what you get is a 16" gun that shoots a 125gr bullet 2500 fps with low recoil. I shoot 110 gr. bullets at 2600 fps. It makes a great urban tactical cartridge . My 11.3 " 7.62 x 40 AR pistol gets the same velocity and stopping power as a full size AK 47. They have barrels in most popular calibers and put their barrels on sale a couple of times a year.

Reactions: YotaEer
. I own about 30 Rifles, but only a few of them will shoot under 1 MOA

This is going to sting, but I also own about 30 rifles. And I don't own a single one that shoots OVER 1MOA.

Unless you are owning a bunch of really crappy factory rifles or rifles which you don't handload for, you are the issue. Heck, even factory rifles with factory ammo, bolt guns I've not had an issue getting MOA with Savages or Remingtons. The only factory AR I've owned was a Rock River, with handloads a .5-.6 MOA rifle.

I've had buddies buy Ruger Americans and Savage Axis and with handloads they are all sub-MOA rifles.

My precision AR wears a Krieger barrel. I don't recall the twist but its an 8 or 9. They questioned me about the slow twist when I ordered it but the most demanding bullet I planned to shoot was the 60 VMAX mag length, no need to over spin things not planning to shoot heavier bullets single shot.

Reactions: deersniper
This is going to sting, but I also own about 30 rifles. And I don't own a single one that shoots OVER 1MOA.

Unless you are owning a bunch of really crappy factory rifles or rifles which you don't handload for, you are the issue. Heck, even factory rifles with factory ammo, bolt guns I've not had an issue getting MOA with Savages or Remingtons. The only factory AR I've owned was a Rock River, with handloads a .5-.6 MOA rifle.

I've had buddies buy Ruger Americans and Savage Axis and with handloads they are all sub-MOA rifles.

My precision AR wears a Krieger barrel. I don't recall the twist but its an 8 or 9. They questioned me about the slow twist when I ordered it but the most demanding bullet I planned to shoot was the 60 VMAX mag length, no need to over spin things not planning to shoot heavier bullets single shot.

For Fuck sakes, I have a bunch of Military rifles, M1-A's, Garands, Carbine, Springfield 1922, FAL H&K 93 & 91, l AK 47's, Lever guns, 03A3 etc. They're not all precision rifles. I currently handload for about 10 rifle calibers.

Yeah, I'm the problem. This is going to sting, but you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, you don't know me.

The last thing I wanted to to do was not start a shit slinging contest in this thread, but there's always someone who's got to chime in and start it.

Last edited:
Well. The trouble with the Internet has always been the amount of hot air on it, so in light of that, I always ask the rough question. There are lots of Internet snipers, and even some of the real ones I've shot with or against were--in terms of sheer skill on a rifle--kinda so, so. There's a range of ability in any career field, especially one with such high requirements in multiple varied skillsets.

I've shot against some REALLY hard shooters with ARs--ie: the best in the world--and I'm tellin ya..these little aluminum fuckers can toss you a flier for just almost nothing. I've never really worked it all the way out, but I've done enough with the AR15A2 for a DR Badge, a President's tab, and hold a 97%+ average to 600 yards, 93-94% at 1,000. Being that we both come from the land of the service rifle, I guess we have something in common.

There are probably 10-fold more AR's out there doing 1.5+ than there are doing 3/4, but if a guy believes the Internet...

So anyway. I wasn't really asking for your resume, and I certainly wasn't saying you're a crappy shooter. But damn...it sounds like you've had an interesting professional life! Helluva lot more than my day job.

I will say, in conclusion, that if you have Holliger, Scandale, or White rebarrel an AR for you with a 7.7" twist Krieger 4-groove, and you feed it 69 SMK, 73 Berger, 75 Hornady BTHP, or 77 Scenar-L or SMK...well, you won't have to complain about bad barrels anymore.

Cheers!

I appreciate your input. Yes, the internet is full of Snipers, Navy Seals and experts. I will say this, there are some here that are the real deal, you just have to get through the window licking booger eaters living in mom's basement to sort them out, there's a lot of them here too.

At least you had some class in asking you question regarding my input. There's always a question on someone's ability, I can see that.

Yes, I had a great career, I miss some of it. I would do it all over again.

I must say, although I've been having a difficult time with a real accurate AR barrel, all of the hand loading and shooting has kept me out of the Titty Bars.

Last edited:
I'll bet Spanel owns an AK that shoots .5 as well. What a joke. Don't let that BS bother you.

F762,

What have you looked at beyond the barrels? If you have been using the same Uppers components maybe the flyer issue isn't barrel induced. You have had some quality pipes, so it makes me think maybe there is more to this than just the barrel.

Some things we do, check each time we build or rebuild.

face the receiver so its square.
ensure the gas tube isn't touching the barrel nut or receiver port.
index the gas tube so it slides into the key with zero resistance.
ensure the gas block is not touching the handguard, to include when hot and with handguard loaded. (URX3.1 got me on this, had to grind ears off the block)
If adding ninja shit to the handgaurd, ensure none of the screws, etc can touch the barrel, gas block, etc. when hot and when loaded.
Loctite the barrel extension to the upper receiver.
Use peel washers and loctite or rockset to install muzzle device (unless its machine timed, then just loctite) and use very little torque to mount.

Some questions:

what gas tube length are you using?
What buffer system?
Are you using a M16 BCG or AR15?
Have you tried any other configurations of BCGs and Buffer systems?
Is the scope riser, or rings, only mounted on the receiver and not bridging the upper and handguard (stupid, but I have seen it)

Just some simple stuff to check. Most is free, and even guys who have built dozens of accurate ARs skip over the basics every now and then.

I am not a Navy SEAL, Force Recon Marine and have never served on Delta force. I am a rifle enthusiast that has sacrificed worldly goods to experiment with high quality gear over the last 50 years. Long to short is that I have tried several dozen brands of barrels.
The top of the pack for accuracy will be Les Baer, Proof Research and oddly enough Douglass for AR barrels. I have never had a bad one. All will be under MOA at 600 meters for 5 shot groups for vertical dispersion and sometimes well under. All will shoot high velocity which some others simply do not. In calm conditions or with good wind reading you will get sub MOA 5 shot groups but a puff of breeze and you will be looking at good verticals but wind stringing laterally.

I got a smoking deal on a BA 'Hanson' 16" midlength by pure timing/luck.

Going to try this out and see.

This is the barrel i have. I thought rifle length but i could be wrong. I never got a true sub moa but it is always damn close. I think with more optic it would be sub moa no problem.

Krieger blank if you or someone you know can chamber it for you. Reason I say is that they are cryo'd and the gas port is already drilled IN THE GROOVE with the extension timed accordingly. Best option for the diy'r

Satern if not. Call deb or Miranda at 712-362-4991 and ask what they have in stock. I've had three of these and would get more if I didn't buy a damn lathe. Their cut rifled 5r Barrels hammer and last a looooooong time.

I'm in the market for an 18" SPRish barrel (not building a clone) and I'm torn between a Douglas, Kreiger, or JP. I expect good accuracy & durability from all 3, but I'm not able to make up my mind... I'll be mounting my Mk5 on it and fingers crossed the 77g IMI razorcore ammo shoots well from this carbine.

thanks!
-Eric

Hi guys,

I'm looking geting a Mk12 inspired 18" AR15 with rifle length gas.
At the moment I'm thinking about which twist 1/7 or 1/8.

At the moment I have 1 20" 1/8 and a 16 3/4" 1/9

I intend to have that gun to shoot at up to 800yd, so need it for more heavy bullets.

Will there be much of an advantage with the 1/7 or is 1/7 not of much use, as such heavy bulltes wouldn't fit in to a magazine anyways?

1/7 is perfect for 77 SMK. 1/8 works but can be marginal. Some use 1/7.7.

Thank you for that fast reply.

OK, with 1/7 the only option would be the White Oaks SPR (Brownells Germany)
From what I've seen in the past the white oaks got great reviews, but the newer reviews are mixed, so I'm a bit afraid of a hit or miss barrel.

Or has anyone experience with the BROWNELLS AR-15 5.56MM NATO MK 12 PROFILE barrel?

Satern or Krieger for cut rifling, Lilja for button rifling. Lilja makes the 16" recce barrel for the navy and it's a good blend of accuracy and weight.

unfortunately, my options are limited.

Proof is out of my range, ~1100 bucks.
Krieger would also be about 900

In 1/7 they have only the White Oak and the Brownels own brand barrel in stock, both between 440 and 500 bucks.

In 1/8 there would be a larger selection, criterion, BCM and a few others

Has anybody tried the Dracos barrels (they use the Teludyne system)? I only know what I've seen on the Internet, but they claim to really make a difference when you're shooting bigger groups...

Anyone know the best place to get a MK12 clone 1-7 bartlein spun up? The barrel currently in my upper is less than exciting.

Also, has anyone done a LH gain twist in an AR or seen results? Figure if I’m going for a Cadillac barrel I might as well investigate the new hotness.

Compass Lake Engineering.

+1. after my 5/18/18 post in this thread I had CLE spin up a 1/7 twist 20" Bartlein. it's been simply fantastic with a number of factory loads. I don't handload in 5.56 right now, though I might do it again in the future.

From the Stag Site FYI; "Every complete AR15 rifle from Stag Arms comes with a Transferable Lifetime Warranty, an Infinite Shot Barrel Guarantee and a magazine. "

It might be worth taking this up with Stag and finding out if your rifle is covered.

Stag also sells their own barrels separately. I purchased this one from Stag when I lived in NY to build my own Upper. It's still shooting very nicely. Lothar-Walther makes a good AR barrel, too; but I've done just fine with my barrels (three, two as parts on my pair of Model 6 Super Varminters) from Stag.

Greg

Last edited:
CLE barrels are some of the best. I prefer their Douglas barrels, but I'm biased as I live and grew up 30 minutes from Douglas and try to support the companies in my community.

I think they were having complaints of cycling issues on the Mk12 barrels with rifle gas. Bartlein blanks are expensive to eat I'm sure has something to do with it.

Sucks because IMO that would be a damn nice barrel...

Reactions: TheMammoth
I’ve had two KAC SR-15’s, two LMT MWS’s, and BCM barrel that were 1/2 minute guns. Chrome lined barrels can be extremely accurate.

My KAC was a shooter as well..
First pic with the rifle is two groups, 10 rd group in the center and then a 5rd group couple clicks higher using the same point of aim. Then I shot a 6x5 with it.

IMG_20160921_160442313.jpg

IMG_20161021_170413481.jpg

CLE barrels are some of the best. I prefer their Douglas barrels, but I'm biased as I live and grew up 30 minutes from Douglas and try to support the companies in my community.

I think they were having complaints of cycling issues on the Mk12 barrels with rifle gas. Bartlein blanks are expensive to eat I'm sure has something to do with it.

Sucks because IMO that would be a damn nice barrel...

But they sell the actual Douglas barrel for a clone. It makes no sense but whatever. I’d really like to have them make it because the reputation is amazing but ??‍♂️

And yes, I think it’ll be amazing also. I sent emails out to a couple places to see if I can get it done. If not, I may ask CLE again and beg. Hahah

I've got a Faxon Match 6.5 Creedmore on the way from Brownells. I recently bought a WOA SPR from them as well, but haven't had much chance to shoot it. I plan to correct that in about 2 hours. ;)

I think the BA will serve you well. I use them here and there and they are always plenty accurate. If you are building a dedicated bench gun I would be looking elsewhere but that does not seem like it is the case here.

Normally go the cut rifled route with Bartlein, Satern or Krieger, and have JP and Lilja, as well, but on a whim, Wilson Combat has a 25% off sale on barrels and picked up a 20” Grendel to compare to their competitors. $220 out the door. We’ll see shortly.

Another vote for WOA. I also just picked up a rainier match to try out. They have a sub MOA guarantee and are a good price so seems like a solid deal.

The King which proofs are you using out of curiosity (material, gas system, length, etc)?

No experience with this barrel, but it is 1:7 and on sale for $150 right now. Place in cart for the price to drop.

I would call White Oak. Their barrels are outstanding.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com

I shoot 1:7s. Shoots 55gr varmint bullet up to 80gr match bullets great with a Wylde chamber.
2nd vote for White Oak.

I run a WOA 18" SPR barrel on my precision AR. 1:8 twist / 223 Wylde chamber and rifle-length gas. Extremely accurate. I've had mine for several years and always been happy with it. If I ever need to re-barrel it'll be another WOA.

I got a question for you fellas if you are still watching this thread after a year and a half. I'm a novice compared to you all but built an AR-10 last winter and another AR-15 this winter. So, now I'd like to build another AR-15 with more emphasis on longer range accuracy than this year's build, which was a 16" barrel I sort of inherited - unfortunately with a Carbine length gas system. So I figured a 20", at the least an 18", medium weight barrel. I know the Criterion Core profile barrel is billed to have even heat distribution with its taper gradual from the chamber on forward - and I figured I'd stay away from a pencil of a heavy profile. So, that being the case, if a fellah went with WOA/Wilson what profile or contour would be best? Or is there a Krieger, Bartlien or Douglas that would have preferable taper? Or is that just overthinking the contour part? I shoot BPCR so this is a world removed from the bulk of my experience.

@TheGerman

I understand that this is a 3 year old post....... BUTTTTT.........Did Stag get you a new barrel?

Well yes and no.

This would have been the third barrel it needed; they supplied the first two.

When they went to take this one off, they couldn't for the life of any of us, get the damn gas block off and thus the barrel wouldn't come out of the KAC rail that was on it due to this. We ended up having to cut the barrel to get it off, which was fine as it was a bad barrel, but sending Stag a barrel that was cut somehow doesn't check the boxes for them providing you a new one.