• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Who makes some of the best heavy 308 barrels?

maukings

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2017
I was thinking about getting a ballistic advantage premium barrel and matching bcg.

I have the other flavor of BA 18" rifle gas. Very soft shooting. But you asked about best. So I'm going to say buy a Krieger or get somebody to turn a Bartlein or other premium blank for you. Brux will make you an AR barrel if you ask them. Lilja sells them.

This isn't a slam on BA, just that I don't think there's enough of a sample size out in the world yet to say they'd hang with these other brands for accuracy. It really depends on what you expect it to do as well.

I have a WOP 20" 308 1:10" 308 barrel on my AR10. It is exceedingly heavy and I am going to get it fluted now that my GAP10 is here.

I do have a Hansen BA barrel in 14.5" 1:8" twist. I am very pleased with accuracy, easily hitting 400yd IPSC steel with my 75gr handloads and pretty consistent with M193. It isn't built to be anything more than an M4A1 and it does that VERY well.

all good comments. I work with the Compass Lake folks, and they are awesome at building what you need from a good blank. Lilja has great barrels, but Carson does not do one-offs. Kreiger the same. Bartlein has taken the largest market share of precision heavy blanks, but Krieger is just as good. Boots Obermeyer is making me a blank right now for a 20" heavy .308. He is the guy who started the "5R rifling" which is now available by others.