• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Who makes the best scope? Ffp up to 27 magnification?

My vote is for the Vortex GenII. I have compared them side by side to the S&B and a Leupold Mark IV. I preferred the Vortex the best. Turrets, tracing were all perfect on these scopes, thought they were all so close in clarity, Leupold much lighter, narrower FOV, didn't like the windage "line" on the windage turret hard to see from behind the scope. S&B would sometimes have a hard time turning in the correct number of adjustment, it would "skip" a couple at a time. Never had this issue with the Vortex. Just my opinion. I have never actually used the above listed scopes.

never heard of minox

Shhh. Don't say that outloud. :sneaky: . Minox has one of the better visual resolutions. I love it. Hentsoldt was mentioned. I like them better at mid-mag. I have to also mention Tangent Theta (first choice) and Steiner 4-28x in the new M7Xi.

After these giants, Nightforce 7-35x is a best seller.Vortex Razor is good, as is Kahles, then Leupold and some other Vortex scopes and after that, a number of very good scopes like Burris and Bushnell and others...

... Where is this going?

My vote is for the Vortex GenII. I have compared them side by side to the S&B and a Leupold Mark IV. I preferred the Vortex the best. Turrets, tracing were all perfect on these scopes, thought they were all so close in clarity, Leupold much lighter, narrower FOV, didn't like the windage "line" on the windage turret hard to see from behind the scope. S&B would sometimes have a hard time turning in the correct number of adjustment, it would "skip" a couple at a time. Never had this issue with the Vortex. Just my opinion. I have never actually used the above listed scopes.

I had a Leupold Mk 4, it did not track well. Since then I have had a Razor Gen II and a Leupold Mk 5, both track equally well in my experience.

Reactions: vigildom7
never heard of minox

So what? You're asking because you don't know the answer already, shouldn't surprise you the answer includes a name you aren't familiar with.

At a $2000 or less price point I'd say Bushnell DMR2 or XRS2 or a Burris XTR2, or cough up a few hundred more and snag a FFP Nightforce.

Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27X56, EBR-2C (MRAD) w/ 34mm tube. That's what is cradled in it's BOBRO mount, atop my Falkor Defense 6.5 Creedmoor
Omega. Superb scope, great rifle...

If anyone has a line on a Henny for 2000 I will take it:sneaky:, I should say that isnt hotter than a 2 dollar whore on nickle night.

If you are patient and diligent you can find a new S&B 5-25 for very close to $2k. Optics Planet, EuroOptic, and Mile High to name a few have had some ridiculous sales on this scope in the past year or so. In my opinion, the S&B 5-25 blows away everything else at the $2k level.

I picked up a S&B 5-25 (H2CMR) in one such sale for $2000 @ EuroOptic

So what? You're asking because you don't know the answer already, shouldn't surprise you the answer includes a name you aren't familiar with.

At a $2000 or less price point I'd say Bushnell DMR2 or XRS2 or a Burris XTR2, or cough up a few hundred more and snag a FFP Nightforce.

I would have to agree here, I have had the DMR2, 2 XTR2's, Nightforce NXS, Athlon, all good scope under $2K. Only words of advice I could say would be try to get your hands on the brands your deciding on in person and then make your decision. Everyone has their favorite like asking a bunch of guys whats the best beer, everyone has opinions on glass, turrets, tracking, etc, etc... Depends on what your going to be doing with it, features you wont compromise on and what ones you will compromise on.

I got a great quote here on this forum from one of the vendors about a week ago. $2200 for the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27X56, EBR-2C (MRAD).
There have been several for sale in the used scope section also. The 3 lb weight seems to get to some people and they unload them.
I considered for a 338 but decided the weight was too much also.

Have 3 Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 x56. If you don't mind the weight and are patient, you will find one in the for sale section in your price range.

I have the Razors and look at it this way. 3 lbs sure as hell. The rifle I will be using it on is for longer ranges. OK. Now am I going to carry this in the field? Not very likely. So what will I use it for? Shooting to 1000 yards or more for the most part. The rifle will weigh very likely 12 lbs or more without the optic. With all this weight about 15 to 17 lbs good for long range stability as well as far less felt recoil. All this is to my benefit. If I want a little light hunting or combat rifle I will change the whole process entirely.

In general one of the best out there, for your dollar today, is the Vortex Viper PST 11. Not a bad price for a very clear optic. There are a lot of good to great scopes out here anymore. You just have to find the one that matches your pocket book. Just purchase the best one you can for the money you have and use it. Remember the rifle is only as good as the optic you put on it.

You buy a rifle for $1500 and put a $250 scope on it and you have a $250 rifle. Put a $2500 scope on it and you have a $2500 rifle. Most of these guns today will shoot very well to excellent. You just need to find the right combination for your use.

I like Vortex, Schmidt Bender, Leupold, US Optics for the dollar.

Last edited:
Have 3 Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 x56. If you don't mind the weight and are patient, you will find one in the for sale section in your price range.

Agreed. They come up here on a very regular basis. Keep looking, be patient and don’t hesititate to pull the trigger when you find one.

Hensoldt, S&B, Minox, Vortex, Kahles, Steiner etc etc.

I've had a chance to play around with the scopes mentioned above and they're all bad ass.

If I had the $$$ I'd go for a Hensoldt.

Can't go wrong with NF 7-35, beautiful scope. I know you said around $2,000, I think. But if you want glass, got to $$$$.

Bushnell XRS2 or DMR2 Pro (DMR2 with ED Prime glass like the XRS2). I have both (2 XRS2s and a DMR2 Pro) and they are probably the best scopes on the market for ~2k price range. IMO, they can hang in there quite easily with most of the $3k+ optics, too.

Reactions: 260284
I love Bushnell but for 2k the vortex gen 2 smokes the xr2. I can get the xrs2 for $1600 but will still spend the extra 4 for the razor. In 5 years the razor will still be worth 1900-2k and the xrs2 will be selling for 1k used. You can aslo find a used kahles or S&b at that price. Really good choices at $2k mark.

I love Bushnell but for 2k the vortex gen 2 smokes the xr2. I can get the xrs2 for $1600 but will still spend the extra 4 for the razor. In 5 years the razor will still be worth 1900-2k and the xrs2 will be selling for 1k used. You can aslo find a used kahles or S&b at that price. Really good choices at $2k mark.

If you seriously think the Vortex has better clarity than an XRS2, I'd suggest getting your eyes checked.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
They are very similar but I still give the edge to the razor. I bet most will chime in they agree as well. Factor in turrets, reticle and eyebox....the razor has it beat. Like I said , huge Bushnell fan but a spade is a spade.

They are very similar but I still give the edge to the razor. I bet most will chime in they agree as well. Factor in turrets, reticle and eyebox....the razor has it beat. Like I said , huge Bushnell fan but a spade is a spade.

If you were talking about the original XRS, then I'd disagree, but at least see how you came to that conclusion. The XRS2 is a different animal entirely.