• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Who Makes the Lightest Stock for a Rem 700?

superwolf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2007
I am starting the process of building a rifle for Dall/Big Horn Sheep and wanted to know who makes the lightest stock out of all the manufactures like McMillian, MCI, Lone Wolf etc.

Are there any durability problems with ultra light rifle stocks? Thanks.

Re: Who Makes the Lightest Stock for a Rem 700?

Those ultralite stocks tend to flex a lot, thus killing your accuracy.

Also factor in an aluminum block will add weight compared to the crappy composite stocks that come factory on the SPS rifles for example.

Really anything over a factory stock is going to add weight. I'm happy with my McMillan HTG stock, but I got the sniper fill so it's a tad bit heavier.

A local smith that builds LW hunting rifles really likes the "highTek, HI-Tec, Hightec" (SP) the Brownells sells.

Get ahold of Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc. (C. Dixon) here on the site. He makes a crazy light weight stock that I believe is similar to a M40.

Reactions: Bender

In addition to what's been mentioned, Check out Manner's Composite Stocks "SL-Super Light" model, Their shell is 100% carbon fiber and they are very rigid.

http://mannerstocks.com/hunting/

The McMillan "Edge" stocks are the lightest I've seen. Extremely light fill and mostly carbon fiber shell. Mine are both A5's but they will make edge versions of other models as well. Some of the less bulky stocks with the "Edge option should be extremely light.

I haven't had any issues personally, but I would guess the carbon/epoxy shell on any super lightweight stocks would be rather thin. This may lead to damage it you whacked it really hard.

With the McMillan stocks I have not experienced any flexing. They are pretty stiff

When I was looking for an ultra-light stock, the best I could come up with for a price/weight/rigidity comparison was the B&C Alaskan models. The Alaskan Ti is slightly lighter than the Alaskan II, but requires extensive gunsmithing for fit.

They are both VERY light and VERY durable. I'm glad I had one on my rifle while huffing the hills of NE Wyoming last month.

A sheep hunting mountain rifle? Seems like a McMillan Mountrain Rifle, Hunter's Edge, or KS, in Edge fill, would be just the ticket.

Don't recommend it but hogue makes a 700 stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buggsb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The McMillan "Edge" stocks are the lightest I've seen. Extremely light fill and mostly carbon fiber shell. Mine are both A5's but they will make edge versions of other models as well. Some of the less bulky stocks with the "Edge option should be extremely light.

I haven't had any issues personally, but I would guess the carbon/epoxy shell on any super lightweight stocks would be rather thin. This may lead to damage it you whacked it really hard.

For McMillian Stocks, does "Edge" just mean a light option or is it a stock in itself? Do you know what the light Edge weight is for a long action?
With the McMillan stocks I have not experienced any flexing. They are pretty stiff </div></div>

I've been making light weight stocks for a little while now and think the weight depends on several things.
It is very easy to make a stiff strong and very light...small stock that then has bad handling or ergonomic features.
As soon as a stock get's more comfortable to shoot and has the right comb hight, long pistol grip square forend and right LOP i think with modern materials one is well served at about 24-25oz. Another point one forgets is, are we speaking finished manufactures stock weight or the weight once it is fitted and bedded to the rifle. I prefer to have carbon pillars integrated when making the stock and then only skim bed with carbon/aluminium epoxy. Bedding then only adds maybe 1/2 oz. I'm just getting a light 243 remmy sporter put together by Fergal White in Ireland and asked my son to lay me up an experimental stock that is built on the absolute limit. I'll bed it, will hunt with it this season and see if and where the week points are.

edi

I've used the MPI mountain rifle stock a few times, and using a thin pad, and ProBed 2000 have gotten finished stock weights of 15-16 ounces. I could drop it to about 12-13 I think, but it might look a bit odd.

I have read where some don't like the Brown Precision stocks but I have had nothing but great luck and great accuracy using them. Think I have 6 currently and sold a several blanks or completely finished stocks that I changed plans on. Currently running my 6XC with one of their "Pounder" kevlar Varmint stocks. Also a 223AI "Pounder" which is a bit smaller grip and no MC. My 22/250AI sets in a standard weight(about 28oz) finished with the narrow forend etc.

Bought my first blank around '87. Besides what I have for myself I built twin brother a 300Wea on a standard sporter weight, cousin a 223, a nephew a 223. All together have worked on/with at least a dozen.Never noticed any flex issues or problems with bedding etc with some now used for over 20yrs. Most not hard perhaps like a sheep rig but beat around hunting coyotes, elk etc.

The raw as is blank is alot of work but I have more time than money. Think the first I bought were around $130 back in the 80's and over $250 now. You can also get them with the small bubble pockets filled and primed, completely exterior finish and a light bedding job(recommended) to make it field ready or send it to them for bedding/finishing etc. That option a bit pricey I thought but depends on how much 'money ya gots' and how/if you want/can do it yourself.

I would recommend Edi´s PSE stocks.

As he says, a stock can be very light but if it lacks the ergonomics, you will see your shooting will suffer as compared to a more comfortable stock.

Edi makes stocks with a flat forend, great grip and enough LOP to compare and in my opinon supersede the classical tactical stocks like the HTG or MCST.

PSE indestructable 700g general purpose stocks.

my 1st choice.. but then i pm'd the original poster that info well before any one replied in the thread, I wasn't going to post, but Edi deserves the recognition, he is leading the non US based manufactured carbon fiber stock technology from the front.
He uses a rifle every day of the week and understands ergonomics. with the help of a couple of europes premier rifle smiths eye for what shape is tacticool-sexy-desirable he is on to a winning combination of ergonomics and stock shape that will see PSE become the premier non US based stock manufaturer.
My non alloy chassis based series custom rifles use PSE stocks. There is no other stock to compare outside the US, and with regard to stability, strength, ergonomics and light weight, Edi will get a foothold in the US market also.

Pete

Lone Wolf rifle stocks. Carbon fiber & kevlar that are the lightest on the market.

http://www.lonewolfriflestocks.com/

But currently 6 - 8 month backlog and they require your barreled action for final inletting. (No, they don't sell stock blanks for inletting).

2nd on the MPI. Their kevlar lightweight is crazy light. Will probably take a professional bedding job to finish it up right imo.

buggsb said:
The McMillan "Edge" stocks are the lightest I've seen. Extremely light fill and mostly carbon fiber shell. Mine are both A5's but they will make edge versions of other models as well. Some of the less bulky stocks with the "Edge option should be extremely light.
buggsb said:
Is the McMillan Edge a stock by itself or a 100% Carbon option to the various stocks they already make?

By the way how light is the Mcmillian Hunters Edge? What does it weigh?

Off topic but relevant to the intended purpose of the rifle. So many sheep hunters focus on lightweight gear yet they show up in camp overweight. Build whatever rifle makes you happy but remember there's always more weight to be shed from the hunter than the rifle.

Reactions: xringr
Just curious what weight would be considered light weight, and what does lightest stock weigh?

Holy raised from the dead!

For feeding the beast. Proof research is doing the 20oz lightweight mountain hunter at stockys for $800 it’ll come in under 28oz bedded with internal mag and bottom metal. I think I read it is the lone wolf design but am frequently wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG and CStroud
4lbs, 12 oz. All up weight as shown.

1579872158280.png

XLR's Element 3.0 in Magnesium is an other option. With carbon grip/stock it's under 2lbs.

Just curious what weight would be considered light weight, and what does lightest stock weigh?
I consider anything less than about 1-1/2 pounds to be lightweight. The lightest one I've ever owned was a Manners UC, It weighed 17.9 ounces out of the box. Bedding, pillars, and a couple of other things I would have done to it would have raised that 4-5 ounces.

Reactions: Mkflowersjr
I consider anything less than about 1-1/2 pounds to be lightweight. The lightest one I've ever owned was a Manners UC, It weighed 17.9 ounces out of the box. Bedding, pillars, and a couple of other things I would have done to it would have raised that 4-5 ounces.
How did you like it was it stout enough

I have a Remington 700 Mountain rifle in a Bell and Carlson Alaskan. It has an aluminum chassis so no need to pillar bed. I don’t remember weight but it is very light. If it was any lighter I think the balance of the rifle would be odd. I also stuck with factory hinged floor plate. I am seeing more lightweight builds with aftermarket bottom metal and AICS mags. It seems Kind of self-defeating.

How did you like it was it stout enough
I'm not sure what you mean by "stout enough". It was a nice stiff feeling stock that I had intended to use for a 308 hunting rifle. There were a few things I didn't like about it. I could have fixed all but one of those dislikes. I sold it to someone that thought he would like it.