• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who Makes Thermal Fit Stripped Uppers?

I have a couple SanTan uppers inbound. Now to figure out what barrels to mate them with...

Reactions: JS8588
Very much a thermal fit upper.

Very much thermal and priced right. Ordered one for a friend based on your opinion and it took heat and ice. Appreciate it

Very much thermal and priced right. Ordered one for a friend based on your opinion and it took heat and ice. Appreciate it
Glad it did the trick. The one I have happens to be a laser. Not saying it's the receiver, but it can't be hurting.

Reactions: msgriff and B Man
Glad it did the trick. The one I have happens to be a laser. Not saying it's the receiver, but it can't be hurting.

Good to hear!
This is a hunting and range set up for his son. 20” WC 6.5 Grendel barrel. Know soon I’m sure, it’s all together now.
I’d use another for a quality felt lightweight thermal upper though

Reactions: TonyTheTiger

Yeah I've got 4 or 5 of those now (I think from your recommendation here IIRC), they've all been a strong thermal fit and shoot really well when matched with good barrels.

To clarify for anyone buying these though, their standard uppers are not thermal fit, but the "Mod 0" are. It's in their descriptions on the website too, for reference.

JP uppers are standard dimensions. It's the barrel extensions that are oversized. Bat Machine Company makes them in various sizes IIRC.

I recently had a barrel done by White Oak and specified a +0.001" barrel extension. Wouldn't go together without heating the receiver, and wouldn't come out after it cooled. Super easy.

Negative Ghost Rider....

JP Thermo Fit Receivers are under sized, and thier small frame barrel extensions are standard .98 IIRC..

You can deal with this one of three ways, you can order receivers that are undersized, have a custom barrel made with a oversized barrel extension or you can go hillbilly Locktite..

My current .223 that I just finished utilizes the JP Thermo fit Receiver, and the the White Oak Competition Barrel exstenion.. she's definitely the most ridged upper I've ever built.

It's. 998... if someone is making .98 on purpose I want to know. That would NOT be a thermal fit. It would be a broken receiver with any standard barrel.
The spec is -
BARREL- 0.998 TO 0.9995
Reviever- 0.999 to 1.000
The socket on the upper is intentionally undersized, that's the intent of a thermal fit. An example is linked in post #103:

"The Inside Diameter for the barrel extension is slightly undersized for a tighter fit to the barrel and will produce a more accurate rifle. Please note: you may need to use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm up threaded bore of receiver and freeze your barrel if your barrel extension is too tight."

It's. 998... if someone is making .98 on purpose I want to know. That would NOT be a thermal fit. It would be a broken receiver with any standard barrel.
The spec is -
BARREL- 0.998 TO 0.9995
Reviever- 0.999 to 1.000

That's what I meant, I was missing a 9 in there.

Reactions: moosemeat
bought a couple BCM uppers for the 'extra' Proof stainless barrel I'd forgotten ordering

Better to have one too many than one too few since VA's legislature is mostly leftist gun-grabbing morons now

M

The socket on the upper is intentionally undersized, that's the intent of a thermal fit. An example is linked in post #103:

"The Inside Diameter for the barrel extension is slightly undersized for a tighter fit to the barrel and will produce a more accurate rifle. Please note: you may need to use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm up threaded bore of receiver and freeze your barrel if your barrel extension is too tight."
Yes. But it's a big difference between a .002 thermal fit and a .020 broken upper. That is so far out of a forced fit it's not possible. Numbers matter. Multiple people claimed a .98 receiver. It would be .998.
The -0.0005 difference between the receiver ID and the barrel OD is the thermal fit.
In prespective a FN5 forced fit would have 0.0033" MAX interference.

Last edited:
Negative Ghost Rider....

JP Thermo Fit Receivers are under sized, and thier small frame barrel extensions are standard .98 IIRC..

JP is an interesting situation for thermofit all the higher end JP stripped uppers are Thermo.

If you buy a JP-15™ Stripped Forged Upper Receiver it's not thermofit.

If you buy a JP-15 assembled upper or rifle it is thermofit. I believe they have a different upper they sell at retail that is not used for the builds.