• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who still drives a manual?

Do you row gears?

• No

• Yes

• I can but my ride can’t

• After my last DUI im only allowed to ride a bike

Results are only viewable after voting.
Watch it guys or I'll go out there and take a pic of my 1948 Massey Ferguson tractor with the shifter that also acts as the starter switch.
Yea, no shit, you shove it to where 3rd gear should be and it activates the starter (mechanical lever kicks ford type solenoid).

The last manual I drove was a Acura 3.2TL sport package sedan, and you could hit the highway speed limit in 2nd gear (out of 6 forward gears).
Well that sounds anticlimactic. Nothing sucks the fun out of driving like tall gearing that limits you to one redline shift before you gotta worry about getting tickets.

Well that sounds anticlimactic. Nothing sucks the fun out of driving like tall gearing that limits you to one redline shift before you gotta worry about getting tickets.

You could work your way through the gears on that Acura if if you so wished and get to highway speed at the end of it then cruise in 6th gear with rather low RPMs.
But if you just held it down, 2nd gear would get to about 60mph at the redline.,(which was the speed limit then thanks to a little fight between Texas and the EPA).

If you wanted to have fun working the gears all the time on a car that sounded, felt and drove like a go cart, there was the old Honda CRX HF that I used to drive and that you had to work the gears most of the way to the highway speed limit. In that thing you were almost sitting on the road it was so small and low.

Just sold my 96 F250 CCSB 4x4 to my father this past December. 5 speed manual. Great pickup but just wanted something newer so I opted for a '12 f150 platinum. My car however is a 6 speed manual and 6/9 vehicles I've owned have been manuals.

930DD414-1528-4D47-868B-3EAAB70CD9CB.jpeg

If you wanted to have fun working the gears all the time on a car that sounded, felt and drove like a go cart, there was the old Honda CRX HF that I used to drive and that you had to work the gears most of the way to the highway speed limit. In that thing you were almost sitting on the road it was so small and low.
I'd love to find a CRX. I never got into the Honda scene, but looking at current prices I see that I should have. At this point it would be cheaper for me to get back into karting than it would be to look for that sensation in a old japanese hatchback.

used to drive and race stick then moved to paddles on both.... miss it every day

that being said proper double clutch transmissions today are soooo superior in every way

adding to what tiger said, performance cars are just to fast now

its not fun keeping your foot down for a few seconds and going to jail that night

for a manual non track use; 250-300 hp 5-6 speed and you have a ball keeping your foot down and rowing the gears

even "more stupid" was my old sports bike/hyabusa 89 mph in first gear. it was just to big and fast in general but if you actually got on it you were doing 30-40 over the limit is a a few seconds

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I'd love to find a CRX. I never got into the Honda scene, but looking at current prices I see that I should have. At this point it would be cheaper for me to get back into karting than it would be to look for that sensation in a old japanese hatchback.

That old CRX HF got an honest 50mpg without all this modern hybrid stuff.
(Note however that the speed limit back then was 55mph so...)

The one I had went to 300k on it through several different owners, I think I put like 150k on it or something.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I learned how to drive on a manual, and have had a few over the years. I sure wish I had one now. Especially if it was a 1969 or 1970 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy pickup.

Reactions: Bender
Learned on an old datsun (before it was Nissan).
Had an 84 Fiero as well--that was FUN to drive on rural roads.
Wife and I's first car was a Jeep with the "bus stick". I miss that thing every day, but it wasn't very condusive to childrens.
Toyed with getting a manual this last time around, but EVERYTHING is automatic and I'd rather spend my money on guns than sports cars (just my pref, im not a car guy).

View attachment 7930214

Daily driver. I drive 45 minutes in DFW traffic. With a manual you actually have to drive. What gear am I in? If I need to go and go now to get out of a bad situation can I do it? If I’m in6th at 1500 rpm that ain’t gonna work etc. etc. Makes driving fun again. I’m 67 and thought I was over shifting. I wasn’t 😎
Hmm. Until I saw "DFW", I thought you were Australian. Looks like a Holden to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Moe Ron
Learned on an old datsun (before it was Nissan).
Had an 84 Fiero as well--that was FUN to drive on rural roads.
Wife and I's first car was a Jeep with the "bus stick". I miss that thing every day, but it wasn't very condusive to childrens.
Toyed with getting a manual this last time around, but EVERYTHING is automatic and I'd rather spend my money on guns than sports cars (just my pref, im not a car guy).
My first car was a Datsun before it was Nissan... except it wasn't. Was it? I had a 1967 Nissan Patrol.

View from the capn seat of my last manual ( eaton 8LL ). One before that was ( Eaton 10 ). One before that was ( Eaton 18 ). The newest one is ( Allison push button ).

Attachments

• IMG_20210922_065038202.jpg
    IMG_20210922_065038202.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20220809-172527~2.png
    Screenshot_20220809-172527~2.png
    273 KB · Views: 27
Learned on and road tested on a stick. Had many manuals over the years. They make you pay attention to the task of driving. Had a 94 300Z that shifted pretty smoothly. My current garage queen let's you know when you're in gear. As far as clutches go, you'd better be in shape because a cable clutch will test your endurance.....

20180508_060202.jpg

Reactions: Bender and Naaman

Agreed, but my car can spin the tires from a roll in 3rd gear (4th if it's cool enough) and so shorter gearing would be useless.

There's 4 of them at my place, everything we drive has three pedals.

09 and 10 Tacoma 5 speeds are our DD's
07 5.9 Cummins 6 speed when it's needed
63 Chevy II SS 4 speed when I need my wallet to be thinner.

Track toy 4 valve 5 speed IRS

Attachments

• IMG_5906 (1).JPG
    IMG_5906 (1).JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Bender
I just bought a new Duramax, I don't even think a manual trans is an option any more

There hasn't been a manual trans Duramax since the LLY, which was 05...

A properly built auto works fine. I don't really care to shift a daily after dealing with a stupid duty that the trans shop couldn't get the clutch right on.
After driving through Williston traffic without a clutch, I was over it.

1660097196868.gif

Yes, sort of. My car(‘04 Volvo S40, t5 awd manual) has been out of commission for a while because it overheated. I’ve been picking at it here and there for a while but need to get busy fixing it

If there is a manual option I always go manual, currently have one auto and that was because there was no AWD in stick.

Haven't owned a manual trans since I got rid of my 05 mustang and my 12 wrangler. I just bought a corvette with an automatic so the wife can drive it. I always said I'd never own an automatic sports car but it's nice that she can drive home when I drink.

I still drive manual trucks at work but I dropped my cdl a few years ago so it's mainly to pull trucks in the shop or test them out back.

Reactions: BCX
Learned on and road tested on a stick. Had many manuals over the years. They make you pay attention to the task of driving. Had a 94 300Z that shifted pretty smoothly. My current garage queen let's you know when you're in gear. As far as clutches go, you'd better be in shape because a cable clutch will test your endurance.....

View attachment 7930363
100%
If people were driving stick there would be less texting assholes driving not paying attention.

You need to see what’s happening when driving stick

I drove a manual daily from high school until I got my duramax a few years ago. Still have a 2008 Z06. Only available in manual.

All manual dailies over the years.
EP3 Civic
FRC Corvette
STi
Wrangler Rubicon

I have been "rowing" my daily drivers for about 20 years now. My first car as a teen was a 72 Duster with 3 on the floor, I had a 62 Corvair with a 4 speed, a few 5 speeds. I now drive a 2014 TDI Jetta with a six speed. I doubled my gears over the years.

Mike

My 2014 TDI

PB180223.JPG

PC040294.JPG

Last edited:
Just got my first automatic.

It’s tactical.

Easier to shoot while driving.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, 6 Speed manual.

Nowadays automatics have become more likeable but the manual is nice for towing.

You could shift 8 times with an old Colt/Champ if you could steer with you knees.

View attachment 7930480
I have played that game a few times, only issue is that 2nd eco & 3rd power are very very close.

Daily is a manual 04 Toyota Prado,
Toy is Suzuki Sierra/Samurai with a Twincharged Toyota 4AGZE, Hilux 5spd with dual transfer cases.

Almost finished my eldest sons Lexus IS200/300, 1000+whp built 2jz with a Getrag V160 6sp manual & quad plate clutch.

Have had a couple of auto's over the years but even then a few were manualized.

My DD is a tuned 19 Raptor… can’t stop thinking about the Raptor R 💴💴

Reactions: Hookturnr