• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who still drives a manual?

Do you row gears?

• No

• Yes

• I can but my ride can’t

• After my last DUI im only allowed to ride a bike

Results are only viewable after voting.
Need to tint the windows..especially if your in AZ
It’s rarely driven with the windows up and left in the sun for even less time. 13,000 miles in 9 years. The rest of it’s life is spent in a temperature controlled garage. I do have the windows tinted on our Grand Cherokee as it spends more time in the sun that the three cars combined.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
An e92 M3 is one of my forever cars. Is yours modified in any way?
It is stock for a LRP edition. Though they came with the Inconel M Performance exhaust from the factory that was a dealer installed option on other E92 M3’s.

Reactions: The D
It is stock for a LRP edition. Though they came with the Inconel M Performance exhaust from the factory that was a dealer installed option on other E92 M3’s.
Awesome. If(when) I’m able to get one I’m going to be really torn between the manual and the dct. DCT is awesome and light years ahead of the smg that it replaced. But, manual because manual

Reactions: Bender and azbiker
It’s rarely driven with the windows up and left in the sun for even less time. 13,000 miles in 9 years. The rest of it’s life is spent in a temperature controlled garage. I do have the windows tinted on our Grand Cherokee as it spends more time in the sun that the three cars combined.
But it looks more better 😎

Reactions: azbiker
Curiosity has me again. Just wondering who still drives a manual transmission?
V6 5spd 4.56 gears
DC9F7D14-970E-4A1C-892F-740C298366E5.jpeg
A5ACB5B7-9EF4-4136-A053-47CDE0884A4F.jpeg
E8BC3F2F-D50B-4D7A-BED3-169D9396323A.jpeg

View attachment 7931291
436hp stock, 6spd, soon to have about 500 NA whp

Good looking car. Not crazy about mine being an automatic but the cam and headers helped make up for it. Just need to install a different converter so it doesn't try pulling through the brakes. I'm either getting a car lift to make it easier to work on or a blower this winter/early spring if everything goes as planned.
20220626_115709.jpg

I guess whenever I'm stuck in stop and go traffic jams I'm so mad about the traffic that it never occured to me that the third pedal was also an inconvenience. The Jetta TDI in the background has close to 300k on it with plenty of stop and go, original clutch too.

My Mk6 GTI has a dual clutch, and it is no doubt faster and more efficient than a three pedal, and the DSG farts sound cool, and it makes mid corner shifts at the traction limit a possibility, it just lacks the soul and sense of engagement and involvement a manual has.
None of y'all have figured out the 'stick it in 2nd and let the vehicle idle' trick? Who cares about staying on the bumper of the car in front of you?! Ain't none of y'all getting anywhere quickly in that kind of traffic.

Note that this isn't aimed at Tony the Tiger

M

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
3-third gen dodge 6- speeds, four 20 series JD synchro shifts, an 05 VW Bug with a5 speed and 3 dirt bikes.

Modern manuals in cars and light trucks are easy to drive. I don't think I've driven one made since the late 80's that I couldn't work the clutch without taking the heel of my foot off the floor if I didn't want to.

My 56 chevy, I had to lift my leg to what felt like almost up to my chest, barely sneaking my knee in between the door and the four foot wide steering wheel. :D

Awesome. If(when) I’m able to get one I’m going to be really torn between the manual and the dct. DCT is awesome and light years ahead of the smg that it replaced. But, manual because manual
Manual isn’t $7k in 20kmi on a DCT tranny either. LOL

Manual isn’t $7k in 20kmi on a DCT tranny either. LOL
From what I’ve read, the dct is really reliable. Regular fluid changes and a GTS software update make it even better

Reactions: Bender
From what I’ve read, the dct is really reliable. Regular fluid changes and a GTS software update make it even better
I have a buddy here in town that sells cars, he had a Lamborghini and a Maserati with them. He told me it was 20,000 miles and a $7000 service because it was a DCT.

I have a buddy here in town that sells cars, he had a Lamborghini and a Maserati with them. He told me it was 20,000 miles and a $7000 service because it was a DCT.
Could be an Italian sports car tax that’s raising the price. Could also be a difference in the specific transmission or work performed.

The first generation of “automanual” transmissions just had a hydraulic actuator working the clutch. These were a bit more problematic and I remember hearing the Ferrari/Maserati clutches could get fried pretty quickly. The German shit had their problems too but I think it was other expensive components in the system

The second generation of “automanual” transmissions with a wet clutch seem to be more reliable but still have various flavors of problems.

But specifically the e9x M3 dct has proven to be quite reliable, again just what I’ve read online. There are more costs involved over a regular manual trans but it doesn’t seem to be too drastic. I’m sure it’s mostly the cost of a pretty specific fluid and a need to do some sort of control unit adaptation. Like they say, speed isn’t cheap

Reactions: Bender
For a daily commuter auto all the way.

For a toy give me a clutch and stick.
Depends on the specific vehicle.

Before my work schedule got changed I drove my Volvo in morning and afternoon rush hour traffic in Denver and it wasn’t too bad.

But there’s not a chance in hell I’m regularly driving some serious sports car or old muscle car with a manual trans. Fuck that noise

For a daily commuter auto all the way.

For a toy give me a clutch and stick.

I really don't understand why people say stuff like this. I've been driving basically only manuals for the last 20 years, and the coordination it takes to drive it is basically on autopilot in my head. I can be half asleep, tired, pulling a huge trailer, going up a mountain, etc., and all that time, I am coordinated enough to drive a manual. It's such a part of driving at this point, it's like running a bolt action rifle...you just do it and why change to an auto? It isn't better, just different.

I really don't understand why people say stuff like this. I've been driving basically only manuals for the last 20 years, and the coordination it takes to drive it is basically on autopilot in my head. I can be half asleep, tired, pulling a huge trailer, going up a mountain, etc., and all that time, I am coordinated enough to drive a manual. It's such a part of driving at this point, it's like running a bolt action rifle...you just do it and why change to an auto? It isn't better, just different.
Lol... personal preference.

18F09AFE-EB1B-442A-8A8B-61B02BDE81DF.jpeg

Lol... personal preference.

View attachment 7931625
Your response indicates that you are missing my point. Which is that even if it seems like it'd be a pain in the ass to drive a manual as a commuter and not just for fun, eventually, it becomes such a part of driving, that I don't even think about it anymore. I'm not even a strong manual guy, how I came to have all of my vehicles as manuals kinda happened unintentionally. But now it's such a part of driving that I almost forgot automatics even exist.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Yeah I did that shit, daily driving modified cars, in my teens and 20’s.

Over it...
Bare minimum for manual transmission car for me will be a hydraulically actuated clutch system.

Bare minimum for manual transmission car for me will be a hydraulically actuated clutch system.
My first car was a mustang with an aftermarket pressure plate. Shifting was like doing squats. Wrecked that (tboned a drunk driver running from the cops) and was blessed with my FD from the insurance money. Liked the Hydraulic in my mazda but it didn’t like the heavy duty pressure plate i put in that to hold up to the GT-35r and 20psi of boost. Blew the seal a few times, left me stranded a few times. 7 engines, 2 transmissions 4 clutch disks, 2 diffs in about ten years. Drag and SCCA solo crossed that car. Tons of fun.

I just chill in my auto these days.

amp.1.jpg

Wife still drives a stick, refuses to change over to automatic. You should see her banging the gears, I told her she better watch it before she blows the trans.........

;Stick drivers are a dying breed, we are showing our age i fear.
All is not lost. I taught my stepdaughter on my Volvo and I’m going to find some way to teach my young sons when they start driving

100%
If people were driving stick there would be less texting assholes driving not paying attention.

You need to see what’s happening when driving stick
Whatever. I can steer with my knees, shift with my left hand, and never move my arm from my date’s shoulder. My high school ride was a single cab, bench seat, Sierra 1500, step side, 5 speed manual. It didn‘t have any cup holders so that was also a handy skill when I had a soda on board as well.

I was driving the Jeep a few months ago, thinking about that old truck. I had a bottle of soda in my right hand. “You know, that pick up didn’t have cupholders. How did I shift with a drink?” And, just like that, I instinctively reached down and shifted with my left hand. Oh yeah, that’s how I did it...

90% or more of driving a stick is just cruising in one gear, or relatively minor speed changes that do not necessitate a gear change.

Yes, you do have a couple more things to do while driving a stick, but it is not a magic dumbass eraser.

My commute in college was easily an hour in each direction, in Austin traffic. I never really even thought “damn this would be better in an automatic.“

• Love
Reactions: Makinchips208
All is not lost. I taught my stepdaughter on my Volvo and I’m going to find some way to teach my young sons when they start driving

Indeed, all is not lost. My sons are learning the art of the H-gate on our ProGator, and my oldest has his heart set on a Miata for his first car. It's easy to sit and bitch about kids nowadays, and hard to do anything about it, so you know which one most people will choose to do.

;Stick drivers are a dying breed, we are showing our age i fear.
Not if I have anything to say about it. My eldest son is fluent in gear rowing, my 12 year old has a few miles of back road driving in and loves shifting and the 9 year old is working on 1 down 4 up shifting right now.
They don't really have a choice anyway unless they have money to buy themselves a car on their 16th birthday.

Reactions: Makinchips208
I'm glad am not the only one who drives a manual car. They are more fun to drive and I won't stop driving manual lol...

I'm glad am not the only one who drives a manual car. They are more fun to drive and I won't stop driving manual lol...

We still have a manual daily driver. Son learned to drive on manual as well.

I do not think any of his friends know how to drive a manual though...

I look forward to driving in UK/EU as rentals are all manual. None of my current vehicles are available in manual.