• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who still owns their first gun?

First for me was Remington 510 Targetmaster 22LR, a very basic, simple little bolt action. My grandfather gave it to my dad and my dad gave it to me. It's still a great squirrel killer. The first gun I ever bought for myself is a 1974 Browning BAR 30-06 and it's still my favorite whitetail gun. It still looks great and yes, I baby it.

1974 BAR Grade II Redfield Widefield.jpg

Reactions: lash
Let's see.. my first, 2nd, third.. still got them all...

Got a Pre 64 Winchester model 70 featherweight (30-06), Remington 37 Rangemaster and a JC Higgins Semi 12 Gauge, all from my father.

My first purchased rifle was a Marlin 336c in 35 Remington (1979). Paid $123.89 for it, just looked at the receipt.

Still have every one of them!

Last edited:
First gun I paid for was a Winchester model 70 XTR in .30-06. Technically a straw man purchase, I suppose, as I was too young to buy it. $206.50 out the door in 1981. Still have her.

My first firearm was a Marlin model 60 that I bought with my paper route money for $69.99 at Walmart. I had to have my dad do the paperwork for me because I was 15 at the time. The first firearm I was given was my dad’s Winchester M94 when I was 16. My first handgun was a Ruger Vaquero 5.5” stainless in 45 Colt that I bought when I was in college. I still have all of them.

Reactions: TACC
My first firearm was a Marlin model 60 that I bought with my paper route money for $69.99 at Walmart. I had to have my dad do the paperwork for me because I was 15 at the time. The first firearm I was given was my dad’s Winchester M94 when I was 16. My first handgun was a Ruger Vaquero 5.5” stainless in 45 Colt that I bought when I was in college. I still have all of them.
My first was a Marlin model 80 bolt that I bought for $40 in 1973 when I was 14. It had a scope, but that was stolen from my parent’s house while I was away at college. Fortunately I had the rifle with me. This is a pic from the internet as I’m not home right now, but mine is in pretty good shape, even though I shot many, many bricks through it. I shot it recently and it shoots as good as ever, though the length of pull is a bit short for me now.

1639157842075.jpeg

My first handgun was a sweet Dan Wesson .357 that I still have. Thousands of rounds through that one too.

NEF Pardner Youth 20ga. Dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was probably 8 years old. I was a shrimp of a kid, and I just remember it nearly knocked me over the first time i shot it. It’s still the heaviest recoiling shotgun I own, on account of being so lightweight and a plastic plate for a recoil pad. I still occasionally get it out for walking fence-lines rabbit hunting (and I pull it out once a year to embarrass a few buddies who are terrible trap shooters).

Anyone here have any experience with Marlin/Glenfield Model 10 .22? Looks to be a single shot, manual cocking firing pin.
A local auction house has one that looks to be in really good shape on an estate sale. I’m thinking it looks decent for my son’s first rifle if the trigger isn’t shit.

Yup. Mosin Nagant 91/30 with 200 rounds of ammo for $120 after tax. It seemed like a lot of money when I was 18, turned out to be the cheapest gateway drug ever.

Let's see.. my first, 2nd, third.. still got them all...

Got a Pre 64 Winchester model 70 featherweight (30-06), Remington 37 Rangemaster and a JC Higgins Semi 12 Gauge, all from my father.

My first purchased rifle was a Marlin 336c in 35 Remington (1979). Paid $123.89 for it, just looked at the receipt.

Still have every one of them!
Let's see that marlin 336c man! I have one as well in 30-30 my father gave me a few years ago when I turned 21. Only photo I have of it currently of it lol
9D468CA5-9334-4F05-AA51-19089277588F.jpeg

My first rifle I purchased was a savage axis II in 308. Sold it because times were rough for me when I was just getting established in Colorado.

@Scumbag and @ffjoey

These are great rifles you can hand down. Right now, while you have them, and when you have a few bucks extra cash, tune them up. Polish up the mating surfaces of the trigger and sear and bolt. Polished up, the Mauser trigger systems are decent for hunting. I wouldn't say good target accuracy, but some are better than others at getting the triggers pulled on these without issue.

Also, a good project is to glass bed these, if not already done. Amazing how much a good glass bedding works for these rifles.

If polishing the trigger doesn't work like you think it should, a Timney trigger is a good option. Featherweight or Hunter, the difference can mean a really good hold on the target. I have some replaced and some original. Originals suit my purpose, but take concentration to pull.

Everyone is talking about what is new and cool, but what about old and awesome? And what is better than your first gun? Here is my Springfield Savage Arms model 120a. I probably shot 20k rounds of .22lr thru it as a kid. It was also my dad’s first gun. View attachment 7231785
I see your Savage Arms Model 120A and raise a Cooey .22. Same rifle made in Canada. Birthday gift at age 12 from my father 66 years ago. Now in a place of honor in my walk-in gun Safe. Call or raise that. I can’t match 20,000 rounds but I did learn last year that you can drift the front sight so holding off for windage is not necessary.

My first was a 50 dollar purchase at an antique store. 25 for the gun an 25 for the bayonet. Sears and roebuck bolt .22. Can't remember what the bayonet is but I do remember taking it to a gun show and some dude offered me 300 bucks for it. Don't think it was worth that but I dont like selling historic things. So I still have it.

Attachments

• 20211207_194339.jpg
    20211207_194339.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 40
My first was a 50 dollar purchase at an antique store. 25 for the gun an 25 for the bayonet. Sears and roebuck bolt .22. Can't remember what the bayonet is but I do remember taking it to a gun show and some dude offered me 300 bucks for it. Don't think it was worth that but I dont like selling historic things. So I still have it.
I have one of those bayonets, with sheath, that is in much better shape. I got it for $12 at an estate auction when I was 14.

Reactions: Screwgunner
I was 14 years old walked in a department store called cooks and walked out with a 45 cal. Kentucky long rifle kit. No parent ,try that now. It was on sale for $60 . That was 43 years ago. I have redone the barrel 3 time blue then brown and back to blue again. My youngest daughter loves it so it will be left to her.
20211213_182253.jpg

39EA2390-883B-4561-B993-B0A8BF585EF3.jpeg

Marlin .410 single shot that my parents got me when I was probably 6-7 years old. Haven’t shot it in years but still buy a box or two of shells every once in a while to put back. Most of the little dents/dings in the stock are probably not visible from the pic but it’s overall in great shape for being about 22-23 years old itself. Has taken down many a tweety bird and even a few ducks/dove.

Looks to be a Japanese bayonet. Does it have 3 circles connected near the handgrip? I have one handed down from my great uncle whom was at Guadalcanal. He said the guy that owned it didn't need it any more..

I still have my 1st. SS 10/22, well I still at least have the action. It's lived several lives and is currently a action/bolt/trigger in the closet till my integral barrel clears paperwork.

My first gun was a single shot 12ga from New England, and yea I still have it. As I remember, it cost me ~$80 and it was well worth it

The first one I ever owned was a Remington 721 in .30-06, given to me by my Dad when I was a teenager. It wasn't a hand-me-down, he went out and bought it for me. He had one just like it and took any number of deer with it. I still have mine even though I haven't been hunting in many years. It'll probably be one of the last ones that I sell. The first gun I bought myself was a Ruger Single-Six convertible. That one got traded off a long time ago.

I had a Remington 510 that my dad gave me at age 12. His dad bought it new when dad was 12 and gave it to him. It was stolen when I was 16 in a home robbery. I have since replaced it.
Pics tomorrow.

It’s sitting in the safe.
Sears and Roebuck .410. I need to find a extractor for it. 41 years Ive had it.
Its survived among other things a home burglary in in my 20s and a full loss fire 5 years ago.
I also have my grandpas .22 it’s a old Winchester 60a
3A27EA2E-8013-4CD7-9DED-334F337ADE54.jpeg

My first gun was a Marlin Model 60 .22LR. I was 8 years old in 1986 and my dad saw them for sale at Turners while we were there. He went back to the store later that day to buy one my brother (10) and one for me. They were going to be Christmas presents but my brother spotted the boxes in the back seat of his car under a towel. A kids' world can be a very small place so they know immediately when something is new or different.

My son turned 8 years old 4 years ago and I gave him that very same Marlin Model 60.

My dad got me a mossberg 500 12 gauge when I was 14 for Christmas. 20ish years ago. Still got it. Probably shot 25k shells through that poor thing. Lol

Reactions: Halen
Yep Nylon 66 .22LR
I had one too. My great grandmother wanted a 22 to keep pests out of her back yard garden. She sent my great grandfather to get one. She never drove and stayed at home unless she couldn't avoid it. She said I dont want a plastic one and I dont want a scope! Apparently great grandpapa was a asshole and brought back a nylon 66 with a scope on it. My grandfather gave it to me when I was 15 and I was lucky enough to pass it on to my younger brother when he turned 15. With all 7 of my siblings there to lay out the rules on whom he could pass it on too with all our permission.

Savage 11fv pr so.thing like that? .12mach 2. Thing is a Lazer. Havnt seen ammo for ot in a while. Still have a pile in the safe.

I have mine, but I had to buy it back at an auction, I sold it to my brother for $100 and he decided to part with his guns and wouldn't sell it back to me. It was a New Haven 600 12 guage pump with custom engraving on both sides, it's basically Mossberg 500, It probably had over 100,000 rounds fired through it which made me nervous to keep using it. I've basically had it for 42 years, It's a safe queen now.

I have all my guns...from after the house fire...none from before.

• Sad
I no longer own the first one I purchased. That was a milled mak 90. I d ok however own the first pistol I ever fired. It’s an old Iver Johnson 22 break open 8- shot. Grandpa took me to the creek behind the house to shoot it.

The first rifle I ever fired is a Springfield by Savage 22 lr. It was my fathers rifle. It got taken by my mothers boyfriend. He was nice enough to return it to me before he passed on.