• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who still owns their first gun?

My first gun was also my Dad's first gun. A Marlin .22LR that my grandparents bought from JC Penny back in the 60's, and it's even stamped on the barrel. That rifle has killed more critters than I could ever imagine. It's also the first gun that my kids ever shot. It's definitely not an expensive collectible, but it's become a family heirloom.

Browning BPS upland special 12 ga. Purchased when I was 17. In fact my father had to technically buy it but with my money I saved. I'm 51 today and still have it.

First firearm was a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge. I got it for my birthday when I turned 12. Still have it although it has been semi-retired into a home defense shotgun. My actual first gun was a Daisy Powerline 880. I worked that thing until it basically fell apart from use. I have a new one sitting in the closet waiting until my son is old enough to safely handle it.

First firearm was a Cricket 22LR single shot bolt action. Bought it when I was 8 yo. Split firewood and sold it by the cord all summer until I had enough to go into the local Bi-mart and drop $100 on the counter. My dad was there with me and I was young, but I don't remember him having to do a 4473. Maybe he filled it out while I was busy eyeballing my first rifle. Still have it. My kids shot it also, but they have even outgrown it so it is sitting patiently in the back of the safe for future grandkids. Nothing fancy, and no value except sentimental value. I beat the crap out of that thing as a kid like I am sure all you did with your first firearms.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJL2
10/22 bought circa 83-84.

Had it out this spring taking a woods walk.....

p4068506-1-jpg.7193143

I've still got my SIG P226...I think it was manufactured in 1998, I got it in 1999 as the first owner. I don't shoot it much anymore (P320 mostly, now), but my wife loves it and I doubt I'll ever let it go.

Reactions: theLBC
My first gun was a daisy lever action bb gun. It is at my dad's house, rusty but still shoots as true as it ever did. I received a 10/22 from my parents for christmas, around '85 or so. It has a new barrel and stock, but it is in my safe. My first centerfire was given to me around '88, a marlin 30-30, which is also in my safe. My first shotgun (NEF break action single shot .410), sadly, was misplaced after I left home. The first gun I bought for myself (Marlin 17HMR bolt action rifle) is also in my safe.

I think I'll take that old 30-30 deer hunting this year...

I've still got my SIG P226...I think it was manufactured in 1998, I got it in 1999 as the first owner. I don't shoot it much anymore (P320 mostly, now), but my wife loves it and I doubt I'll ever let it go.
i still have my first P226, bought in 1992.
also have my dad's '62 Winchester Model 88.

When I turned 12 (legal hunting age in PA in the 80s) my Dad bought a Winchester 20ga and a Rem700 in 243win. I was the oldest of 5, so when I graduated to a 12ga and 7mm mag the little guns were passed on. They reside at my Dad's home still. In a couple years when my boys are older I'll retrieve them.

The first gun I ever bought for myself was a Taurus 38spl revolver haha. I was a broke 21yo student. I still have that piece (of garbage). It was the first gun my wife had ever shot, many moons ago when we were kids.

Steven's semi auto 22. I still haven't, but one of my nephews will end up with it.

It was almost a Lee Speed in 303 Brit but I couldn't convince grandpa to buy it instead.

Still have my remington 742 in .243win from when I was 13. It will one day be my sons.

Mine is a GAP Crusader.

The only thing left is the barreled action, which is one it's 3rd or 4th barrel and was rebarreled by another gunsmith. So it no longer exists as a GAP Crusader.

The barreled action is currently collecting dust in a closet, but I would like to do something with it.
you could sell it me, maybe a trade.......

My first gun, that was actually mine, was a Sheridan, Blue Streak pellet rifle. The first firearms I used were the same family guns that are in my safe, but I never expressly got a rifle or a shotgun that was just mine.

When I was finally allowed to carry a real firearm, rather than a broomstick with a cloths-pin and rubber band, I carried a Stephens M24 .22/.410 for rabbits and squirrels, and a 16ga, Ithaca M37 duck and bird hunting. I still have both though the .22 wont fire on the Stephens. I've been meaning to fix that for years and never have...

I am lucky enough to not only have my first gun (a Winchester 94-22), but my father’s first gun (a browning Citori 20 ga.), my father in law’s first gun (a Ruger No1 in 243), and my grandfather’s Marlin 22, which is the gun I learned to shoot on.

My first gun, that was actually mine, was a Sheridan, Blue Streak pellet rifle.
I had one of those too. Anything larger than a poker chip was toast out to about 25 yards. I remember reading about 10-meter air rifle matches, so I decided to see what I could do at that range. Literally one nice round hole, maybe 1/4", certainly less than 1/3", for 5 rounds shot lying prone on my bed and shooting out the open window at the target stuck on a tree at the proper distance.

The rifle is still with me. It won't hold a charge anymore. There's still half a box of 5mm pellets on the shelf next to it.

Reactions: camocorvette
I once again have my 1957 J C Higgins .270 bought used for me in 1965. Now the FN Mauser action is wearing a Hart Barrel, McMillan stock, Timmy trigger and a Leupold scope but still a .270. It has quite a story but the short of it is, life forced me to sell it in 1982 and after making the rounds through several people an old hunting buddy saw it for sale and recognizing it bought it and gave it back to me. Having no idea that he had it, I had told him it was the only gun I ever sold that I regretted selling and he said well just get it out of my safe and take it home with you! It found its way back to me in very rough condition in 2002 and I immediately set to dressing it up.

Passed to me when my father was KIA very near Camp Enari.

Last edited:
870 was gift at 12 for bird hunting.

25-06 700 adl that I used for my first deer was a gift for college graduation.

First one I bought myself was a Benelli super Nova for goose hunting at 18.

I'll sell a kidney before I sell a gun. Only exception was a lamber o/u with 26" barrels I sold to buy the exact same model with 28" barrels 2 hours later. That was mainly because I couldn't find a 28" barreled gun to start.

Mine is a JM stamped Marlin 336C 30-30 My dad is original owner, was given to me when I turned 16...... Wayyy back in '77. I doubt it has more than 60 rounds fired. If I'm not mistaken it was built in 1958.... It loves the Hornady soft point ammo. Oh and I looking for a New Remington 700 Action with .308 bolt face.... Maybe 1 that's trued....

First rifle ever given? Yes, Marlin 22LR single shot youth model. Model 15 I think.

First rifle ever bought? Marlin 17HMR varmint rifle. Sold to pay for a WW2 Collins V44 gung ho knife which then got sold to help buy a IHC Garand.

I was 4... Dad picked up an El Faisan .410 SxS. I begged him to let me shoot it when I opened the X-mas wrapping. There was 16" of snow on the ground and near blizzard conditions.

He hung a cardboard sheet on a tree for us to pattern it... only thing I new was that was the target. I couldn't even pull the hammers back but I pulled both of the triggers at the same time. Patterned nicely... both the target and the twisty snow angel I made from the torque of the recoil as it spun me into the snow.

The gun is still in the family line as my nephew, Dad's only Grandson, was given the shotgun at his age of 6.

"the pheasant" will hopefully never leave the family.

Still have mine; single shot 20 gauge made by Riverside Arms Co., in Chicopee Falls, MA. Got it when I was 10, my dad bought it in a antique store in Maine. My second was a Rossi pump 22 with a 16” barrel. I wore the bluing off the bottom of the action I’ve used it so much. The sights are pretty rough, but I seem to be able to hit whatever I’m shooting at with it; probably has something to do with the rounds I’ve put through it, something north of 10,000. I still have it too.

My mom was positively anti gun but she adored her grandfather. Well, my uncle has her grandfather’s WWI Springfield and his Marlin police riot gun from the 30’s when he was a cop. He gave them both to me and she really couldn’t say no as there were so many good memories there for her.

That opened the floodgates. :)

My daughter has my first rifle. A daisy .22 with wooden stocks not the plastic. Dad gave it to me for my 11th birthday. I also have the rifle I killed my first deer with, it’s a Remington model 660 .243. I borrowed it from my grandfather. He passed last October.

My first gun was a Marlin 22 LR. It has a cheap stamped stock and is in rough shape. Got it for Christmas when I was 12 in 1976. The thing isn't worth selling, so it sits in the back of my safe...

First gun was passed down to me from my uncle, originally grandpas. Springfield model 15 single shot .22. Still have it. Threaded the muzzle using my first lathe, and it now has my first form 1 can on it.

First gun I bought was a Browning Citori 725 Unsingle in high school. Worked my ass off to pay for it. Haven’t sold it, and won’t sell it.

Can’t really remember if my first gun was my marlin 60 or my NEF single shot 20. Still have both, lots of great memories and quite a few squirrel and deer to those two.

My first handgun was a trade in beretta 92s I bought myself and it was hot garbage, I finally got over my sentimentality and sold to a guy that wanted a project.

Still own my first ‘gun’, a Benjamin model 317 air rifle that was handed down by my father.

It was a tool meant for serious business... for an 8-year-old. My dad was a Master Falconer and in addition to his personal birds he also kept rehab birds for the State. Every hawk/falcon required fresh meat, including the bones and fur/feathers to allow them to digest properly. None-of-it you could buy in the grocery store. One of my most serious chores growing up was to keep the ‘fresh meat’ supply from running out.

After a while every bird and squirrel within bicycle distance was either hawk-food or wised-up... Tactics had to evolve... Eventually my dad had a dovetail scope mount machined to clamp over the barrel, somewhere he found an old Unertl scope, and he bought me some match grade RWS pellets. And so it began...

Somewhere along the way the mount and scope moved on, but not the ‘gun’.

Last edited:
I’ve never sold a gun. My Grandpap gave me a .22 lr that he paid $4 brand new and a side by side 12 gauge that he paid $12 brand new. He fed his family during the depression with those guns. Out of all the guns I have I’d burn them all to keep those 2. They hold a very special place in my heart. They’ve brought food to the table for 5 generations. I still take them out on special occasions and they work like they were new, minus the bluing.

I got my first gun when I was probably 5-6 and I for sure had it traded by the time I was 7... I have issues :cool:

My mom was positively anti gun but she adored her grandfather. Well, my uncle has her grandfather’s WWI Springfield and his Marlin police riot gun from the 30’s when he was a cop. He gave them both to me and she really couldn’t say no as there were so many good memories there for her.

That opened the floodgates. :)

Pictures please.

Both guns deserve their own post.

Not able to right now or for another month.

Sorry

I know it is a low SN Springfield that was rebarreled during WWI and a Marlin. I believe it was a model 44 or 44a.

Reactions: pmclaine
10/22 going strong after 33 years. Got it from my father for Christmas when I was 13 as my first rifle. Only original thing left is the action. Sold my very first gun because it was a 4 pound break-open single shot shotgun that kicked like a damn mule.

My first "gun" was an air rifle. It is long gone. The first firearm I owned was a Ruger GP100. It ain't for sale.

Winchester 1890 at 5, 10/22 at 10, many many many bricks of 22 dumped in my parents back yard. 1890 still lives in the garage for pest control and the 10/22 comes out for squirrel and rabbit hunting.

My first was a High Standard .22 rifle
For Christmas late 60's.
For me it was perfect, shot quail flying (my first kill I fixed and ate) note I couldn't do that every time.
A lot of family also used that rifle.
I lost track of it (dad had posession of it when I left home.
Dad was in Florida and got broke in to they stole some guns, when he went the next year he gave my brother all his to put in his safe.
I asked my brother if he gave him a
.22 high standard he said no, but dad gave him one that never worked it was in his closet for 15 years.
He gave it to me I fixed it I felt bad I bought another from N.J. in much better shape swapped the action gave him the better looking one, I have the original stock (cracked, banged up and perfect).
Cost me about 450.00 for at best a 200.00 rifle (worth every penny)
When I checked out my rifle at the FFL
The cashier had a meltdown because it had no serial number.
All I said was they did that back that then sometimes.

Reactions: jphil108
This is my first gun, a Winchester 94/22 I got new in 1983?? even still have the hang-tag.
When your 12 years old you can go hunting in WI, but not by yourself so I would drag my poor mom into the woods everyday after school so I could go squirrel hunting. This rifle has seen an unbelievable amount of use... still have my first BB gun as well, a Daisy 880 : )

DSC03598.JPG

The first gun I ever bought was a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 Cruiser. I still have is 34 years later. I replaced the pistol grip with a stock though.

I had one of those too. Anything larger than a poker chip was toast out to about 25 yards. I remember reading about 10-meter air rifle matches, so I decided to see what I could do at that range. Literally one nice round hole, maybe 1/4", certainly less than 1/3", for 5 rounds shot lying prone on my bed and shooting out the open window at the target stuck on a tree at the proper distance.

The rifle is still with me. It won't hold a charge anymore. There's still half a box of 5mm pellets on the shelf next to it.
You can get seal kits for these and they're very rebuildible, great air rifle for squirrels and Chipmunks or just plain backyard fun.

My first rifle I bought was a Savage 110 flatback .30-06, has a Tupperware stock and came with a leapers air rifle scope, swapped the scope out for a cheap Bushnell and made a cheek rest for it, and it shot well enough until I could afford better, still have it and am thinking about a new stock and a barrel in .280 AI.

Reactions: DownhillFromHere
Like a dumbass, I sold my 1978 Rem 700 in .243. It shot pretty good, but not as good as the .222 Win 70 Varmint I had. I thought I needed to move on. I never have.

My dad traded a service call for my first shotgun (maybe $40 at the time) . A Ithaca super66 20 gauge. Haven’t shot it in years And a Winchester 94 30-30, killed quit a few deer with it.

My first gun was a shotgun was given to my dad in 1947 when he was nine. My dad gave it to me in 1970 when I was nine. I gave it to my son in 1989 when he was nine. My son is talking about giving it to his nephew (my grandson).

I did a paper route so I could buy my first rifle. I remember listening to the kids talk about how much a bag of weed cost and I thought.
Hell i can buy a new rifle for whatever that shit cost. I still own that first rifle.

Reactions: camocorvette
My dad bought me a daisy 22lr that has a plastic outer coat on the barrel. I still have it and plan on passing it to my son, who I’m teaching to shoot now.

Browning Auto-5 3" magnum 1973 for deer hunting with Dad, still looks as good as the day I got it.