• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who still uses a .300s for comps?

opshin556

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
Kalifornia
Seems like everyone is going with the 6mm/6.5s.
I am up to speeed on latest ballistics, bc. etc.
what I am looking for are hiders who actually use the .300s and why?
I am building a comp rifle myself and everyone is telling me .260, creedmoor, basically all 6s.
I LIKE the 300s more, recoil is a very low factor for me, hits that are visible steel movers up to 1500 meters are what I am interested in.
The rifle will be carried often over rough terrain.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Who still uses a .300s for comps?

.300WM and the like are at a disadvantage because of recoil. I just got done ROing a match and many of the stages guys were having problems engaging multiple targets because of the scope coming completely off target. I watched guys skip right passed targets, thinking they hit them all because they came out of position so bad they couldn't tell what target they'd hit and what they hadn't.

I also witnessed problems with auto resetting targets. 6.5s and 6's were hitting the target and not knocking it over but hits were easy to spot and because you didn't have to wait for it to reset you could keep sending them. The big magnums were knocking the target over and you had to wait for them to reset........on a timed event it makes a big difference.

For matches were splashes on steel and holes in paper are what matters, a hot rod 6mm gives you the ballistics of a big magnum without all the recoil problems.

Ahhh, i didnt even think of the reset issue.

are you seeing the short calibers, or the longs?

Different tools for different jobs. Not all matches are the same. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, .243 and a 300WM. I reach in the safe and grab the right one for the specific match I will be shooting. Faster shooting run and gun matches then the 6.5/6mm come out. More of a field match with more shots past the 1000 yard mark then the 300 might make an appearance.

If you are going to have one rifle for all matches then a 6.5/6mm would be a good choice.

As to the reset, that match wasn't set up correctly if someone knocking down the steel, as it is designed to be, is at a disadvantage. Depending on the match, some won't score you unless you knock it down so keep that in mind.

i shot pmg today with my 300(partner also runnin 300)...i had no problems with recoil, only true issue i seen that is a concern is all that horespower was causing target problems on some stages...it would hammer the target and cause it to get stuck or twisted and we would have some downtime for repair.

but i have no issues gunning one, but like rob said, a short or a more run and gun id take my 243

last year my partner and I ran a 300wm and a 6.5 cm and it worked awesome. the big 220's are really nice for some stages.

I saw a few guys at one of the matches earlier in the year shooting 300WM. They were all active duty professionals. I think they used the comp as a training opp with their duty weapon.

I've been shooting 300WM as my comp gun for a year now. Also have a .260. I shot the 300 not by choice but because it was the most accurate gun I had.

It is harder to shoot a big gun in most comps, particularly ones that are rich in movers and snap shots. It takes more discipline. Smaller calibers can hide a lot of sins in terms of position and such, but with a big gun you have to be on that gun correctly every time to do proper work with it.

Now that I switched to lapua brass for the .260 my rifle is shooting awesome out long. I'll be going back to that rifle for some. I agree - the right tool for the job at hand.

--Fargo007

Im leaning twords the .260.

In regards to rifles, any good factory bolt rifles get the nod?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.300WM and the like are at a disadvantage because of recoil. I just got done ROing a match and many of the stages guys were having problems engaging multiple targets because of the scope coming completely off target. I watched guys skip right passed targets, thinking they hit them all because they came out of position so bad they couldn't tell what target they'd hit and what they hadn't.

I also witnessed problems with auto resetting targets. 6.5s and 6's were hitting the target and not knocking it over but hits were easy to spot and because you didn't have to wait for it to reset you could keep sending them. The big magnums were knocking the target over and you had to wait for them to reset........on a timed event it makes a big difference.

For matches were splashes on steel and holes in paper are what matters, a hot rod 6mm gives you the ballistics of a big magnum without all the recoil problems. </div></div>

As someone else mentioned, hits on a popper/flasher/resetting target that *DON'T* cycle the target, but still count as hits are the exception. Few matches will allow that to count.

I've personally seen 6mm's fail to move flashers and poppers occassionaly, although they're usually enough.

While I admire the trajectory of the 6's and 6.5's, I can't convince myself to get one....when 7's have at least as good a trajectory, totally reasonable recoil, and a bunch more energy downrange.

It boggles my mind on a DAILY basis here on the hide, that 6s and 6.5s and even .30s get all the love and 7s are almost the red-headed stepchild, with only a few of us that seem to recoginze the pure awesomeness that is 7mm.

I just went from a .308 to a .260. I just got done shooting Kettle Falls and man shooting next to the 6/6.5's I wont shoot another comp with a .308 unless is claiber restricted. So much more impervious to the wind, much better trajectory. It was an eye opening experience. As for the rifle I can't help. Mine's a Surgeon action and Rock Creek barrel.

I started out shooting comos with the big bore cartridges 338 lapua 7mm stw and the slow 308. About 4 years ago i switched to a 240 wby wich has served me well in both bench and tactical comps as has my 6.5x284 and 6-284 and 260. However now after getting back to the long 1300+ yrd shots in comps i am going back to the big guns just finished a 7-300 wby imp with 30.5" 1.2 barrel surgeon action hs stock and ior 4-28 tips the scales at 20 lbs with a good break or srt can no ishues with loosing target pic. Also built a 340 wby imp balistics equal to the lapua. Also have in the works a 300 wby imp bench rifle and tactical as well. Nothing beats the 30 lb 375 chey tac for those extream long range shots. Velocity and trajectory is what matters in my opinion and energy down range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It boggles my mind on a DAILY basis here on the hide, that 6s and 6.5s and even .30s get all the love and 7s are almost the red-headed stepchild, with only a few of us that seem to recoginze the pure awesomeness that is 7mm.</div></div>

At ASC this year you had to dig through a pile of discarded/lost 7 WSM brass at each stage in order to find your own.

ASC Fall 2011 1st and 4th
ASC Spring 2012 1st and 2nd
Vern Harrison Long Range Invitational 1st 2nd and 4th
Looks like the 300's are doing pretty good.

If I hadn't broken my McMillan stock on my .300wm I'd have gladly ran it at PMG this past weekend. Our team has won with .300's and I would have no problems running it at a match (in fact, we set a course record with .300's). We were/are running JP and FTE breaks so recoil was never a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmpohuski7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ASC Fall 2011 1st and 4th
ASC Spring 2012 1st and 2nd
Vern Harrison Long Range Invitational 1st 2nd and 4th
Looks like the 300's are doing pretty good.</div></div>

Goes back farther than that:
2005 - ASC# 4 - 2nd place
2005 - ASC#4.5 (fall match) - 2nd place
2006 - ASC#5 - 2nd place
2006 - ASC#5.5(fall match) - 4th place
2007 - ASC (spring match) - 4th place

I shoot a 300 WSM and find that with the FTE brake it is not bad on recoil and I generally do pretty well in comps the only drawback is that is is pretty heavy and positional shooting is difficult if I can't build a solid position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It boggles my mind on a DAILY basis here on the hide, that 6s and 6.5s and even .30s get all the love and 7s are almost the red-headed stepchild, with only a few of us that seem to recoginze the pure awesomeness that is 7mm.</div></div>

At ASC this year you had to dig through a pile of discarded/lost 7 WSM brass at each stage in order to find your own. </div></div>

Heard that...

I never game them a look - considered it a 'boutique caliber.' I saw a 7 SAUM shoot long two weeks ago and I'm thinking about them in a dramatically different way. It was laser beam bad-ass flat, and hit with plenty of notice out past 1000Y.

--Fargo007

The high capacity 7s sure are ultra badass, but the moderate and "mini-mag" (7mm08, 284) are NO slouch either.

I shot a 300 WM at PMG last weekend for the first time in a comp. I noticed that as long as I did my part getting solid behind the gun, it shot great. At the end of the first day, after several hours in the heat, I started to fatigue and my shooting suffered. Day 2, I made a shot kneeling unsupported so it is manageable.

A good break is key, as others have said. I was running an AAC QD suppressor adapter and loosing sight of targets wasn't a problem. Recoil was much like a solid 308.

Running belted magnums through a magazine can sometimes cause issues, so don't skimp on them. The best thing I noticed was that with its trajectory I had more room for error in my ranging than my teammate who was shooting a 308. I'm sure other calibers could give you the same.

I use a 300WM in an AICS chassis, and weight is a factor, but then again between the weight and a good brake my 300WM is a pussycat to shoot. I'm able to see my hits or misses most of the time (5-25 Premier), and when I don't it's my fault because I didn't get in a good possition because I was in a hurry. I'm in good shape, so the weight is not as much a factor for me, except if one would be required to carry a lot of ammo, and then I may wish I had a lighter, more compact 6.5 with lighter ammo.

The benifit of a heavy 300WM, at least for me is a more stable platform. I shoot better with a heavy rifle. Also, the hits/misses are more obvious with a bigger/heavier bullet.

I'm thinking about it for the Cup....
AW 300WM 210 Bergers 30p TBAC Suppressor

euchrestanding.jpg

I'm a little confused Goldbeachman. Are you shooting or breaking ground on a construction project?
confused.gif