• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

who uses automatic transmission fluid as lubricant

Re: who uses automatic transmission fluid as lubricant

ATF is high in detergent content, and is a key component in Ed's Red cleaning solvent. Even ATF can use a hand. Sea Foam makes an ATF additive which works to clean up internal AT solenoid contacts. Now <span style="font-style: italic">that's</span> what I'm talkin' about...

I occasionally encounter rust when I open the gun cabinet back up in the Spring. I know it's a no brainer to apply the oil, but any one of us can still find themselves in a similar fix.

My initial approach to removal involves ATF and Scotch Brite. Sometimes I will substitute PB Blaster.

The theory here is to use a penetrant to dislodge the accumulation from below, then use a nonabrasive medium to wipe it clean.

Once blueing is gone, the metal needs to be scrupulously cleared of any lingering oxidation, then reblued and reoiled. Acid (like CLR, Limeaway, or Naval Jelly) will wipe out blueing in a blink; but when hope is lost, it also does a good job on entrenched rust. If you want to go softly with acid, cola is a good mildly acidic cleaning agent. So are lemon juice and vinegar.

Parkerizing is useless without oil.

Greg

Use it as a threading and cutting lube. For my guns I use Mobil 1, stays put, and the detergent keeps the carbon in suspension, makes AR bolts much easier to clean.

I am betting lard would work too, but I prefer to use a lubricant that was designed for the job.

Besides, I hate the way ATF smells. Too much time spent working on cars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do, it works.</div></div>

Dude....they make plenty of water based lubes, and your "significant other" will be much happier with them!

Just messing around!!!! hope everyone here has a tough hide and a good sense of humor.

Hah, I'm dumb, but I ain't THAT dumb!

Re: who uses automatic transmission fluid as lubri

speaking of lard... i have 2 totally hand built mid-late 18th century repro flintlock rifles. the only lubes i have used on them are lard, olive oil, and bear oil. gets the job done. never had any rust in the bore, even with shooting nothing but corrosive black powder

I mix ATF with Jet-A and run my car on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Besides, I hate the way ATF smells. Too much time spent working on cars. </div></div>

+1 too many burnt trans have tainted my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mobile 1 synthetic oil makes a splendid weapon lubricant.
</div></div>
+1 Mobil one works very well. Had a surface rusted receiver that I submerged in Mobil one for about 5 months. Pulled it out when I had the money to get it going (it was an in the white) and the rust was completely gone. Not a spot or hint. I use the lightest stuff on the firearms I use and heavier weight on stuff that gets stored.

+1 for Mobil One as a lubricant.

I too have soaked / marinaded several antique pistols in ATF that were rusty and they came out with zero rust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am betting lard would work too, but I prefer to use a lubricant that was designed for the job</div></div>

+1

I started using it after starting to shoot a suppressed AR15 a lot. That thing gets filthy fast, wet or dry, but seems to clean easier if it's been dosed well with ATF.

ATF gets used in hydraulic systems a lot it seems, but is not recommended due to the detergents present; attacks rubber and plastic and causes premature failure of seals and o-rings. I know your rifle doesn't have o-rings and seals, but ymmv..I'll stick to regular lubricants.

Automotive lube:

Something interesting.

Take a large screwdriver (flat head) and dip the business end of it in ATF, turn the screwdriver upside down and pinch the end of the screwdriver with your thumb and index finger (One on each ramp).

Repeat this process with 80/90, motor oil, etc then let me know which one you would like in your AR, bolt gun, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ATF gets used in hydraulic systems a lot it seems, but is not recommended due to the detergents present; attacks rubber and plastic and causes premature failure of seals and o-rings. I know your rifle doesn't have o-rings and seals, but ymmv..I'll stick to regular lubricants. </div></div>

that's because ATF is a hydraulic fluid. That's all a auto trans is is a hydrolic system. It is designed to be a gear lube while still staying fluid enough for the t/c. It does not attack rubber it conditions it more than anything ice ever seen. It keeps rubber prongs soft and soft rubbers will swell alot because of this.

There are many better lubes for to metals sliding on eachother like in a rifle. Heavy gear lubes like 90w are design to spin lube so they do cling but they are too heavy for the tolarences of an ar IMO.

I stick with gun specific grease in my pistol(sig) and my rem700. I use rem dry lube on the raceways and grease on the lugs. Clp for rust prevention Atfwould work for this

As far as smells... I spent 6 months rebuilding transmissions and 6 months rebuilding differentials at my old shop. Between gear oil and trans fluid. I'll take the trans anyday atleast the smell washes off.

Oh hell no, got to love that "deep" 90wt or Main engine cap/bolt smell! Oh how I miss that on a cold winter morning. LOL

I'm a big fan so far for AR work, of the Mobile 1. Keeps all that carbon in suspension and mostly will just wipe off and if not, comes off with very little cleaning. Stays put also!

ATF is made so the bands/clutches will grab so it is not the best lube. it is chock full of detergents.

so do you want clean or well lubed?

I know what you mean. Early mornings I smell the gear oil, the firing of a cold diesel motor , with its cold rough idle. Sometimes with a leaky or sticking relay valve, I send the ATF down the line. But not to top off the power steering with it. Why?

ok, so all this talk about ATF and whatnot,,, what about the "Type F" stuff?

Did "Ford" improve or degrade this for us, by being different?

Also gotta add, that I've been using 20/50 full synthetic for alotta years now. Though there is this one Luger which could use a soaking as described here. Hence the "Type F" question.

All the new ATF is synthetic. Derxron VI (GM), Chrysler +5, Ford Mercon V.

Many years ago you would put type "F" into a GM trans (turbo 350 or 400) and it would harden up the shifts like a liquid shift kit and you could put Dexron in a Ford trans to make it slip and burn up.
smile.gif

You should just use the fluid it is designed to have. Don't get all trickey if it is stock. Just keep up on fluid changes on a regular basis. This is about the single most important thing you can do for longevity and lower long term costs.

We use to make super lube back in the day and i still have some!!

It Had ATF hoppes #9 and a few other things and it was as slick as anything!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Automotive lube:

Something interesting.

Take a large screwdriver (flat head) and dip the business end of it in ATF, turn the screwdriver upside down and pinch the end of the screwdriver with your thumb and index finger (One on each ramp).

Repeat this process with 80/90, motor oil, etc then let me know which one you would like in your AR, bolt gun, etc. </div></div>

What does this "test" prove? If I want to lube my finger for metal to skin wear it might be of interest
wink.gif

I use a lubricant for metal to metal wear. Not hydraulic fluid
wink.gif

You CANNOT tell how lubricants act under hand pressure. "Slick" does not mean it can film thick enough to stop wear. I use Cam lube, tri-flow type products and anti rust products to protect. Each for a different thing since no one product does everything. Weather conditions also change what you need to use. Not much of a problem where I shoot, dust is though.

Wait lube for what?

For down the barrel?

Real hydraulic fluid: ISO 32
ATF makes me money, I like replacing crumbling seals and cracked dried o-rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real hydraulic fluid: ISO 32
ATF makes me money, I like replacing crumbling seals and cracked dried o-rings.</div></div>
You must not work for a dealer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real hydraulic fluid: ISO 32
ATF makes me money, I like replacing crumbling seals and cracked dried o-rings.</div></div>
You must not work for a dealer </div></div>

id say hes a heavy equipment mechanic. Even us dealer techs dont like replacing small seals and shit because it takes to much damn time to figure out which on it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mobile 1 synthetic oil makes a splendid weapon lubricant.
</div></div>

I thought I was a genius discovering the Mobile 1 for firearms use
cry.gif
You guys have totally destroyed my self deception now.
smile.gif

I have a bunch that I craftily thinned with the now extinct #1 lube made to compete against WD-40 years ago.Sure works good!

Steve

I work with a lot of guys who swear by Mobile One and/or Automatic Transmission Fluid. The problem I have is they all have a certain level of hazard to them. The toxic level is low but take the totality of the circumstances. You are exposing yourself to enough toxins on a daily basis why add one more to it?

I am a huge fan of Slip 2000 products. They are non-toxic,non-hazardous and biodegradable. They have been tested and approved by the Military and various training organizations.

In my experience I can't seem to ever recall a semi auto weapon system failing because of a lube failure lube. Lack of lube, yes. But having a semi reputable weapon lube break down under normal or slightly above normal conditions is rare. Some are better and longer lasting and I can use things like motor oil and transmission fluid in a pinch but why expose my self to it every time I handle my weapon? What, to save a couple of dollars? Just isn't worth it to me.

Theres things considerably more toxic than synthetic motor oil you are exposed to when shooting and cleaning firearms. Used motor oil containing the byproducts of combustion may cause problems, not new stuff. Mobile one for me. It has worked great on every firearm I have tried it on.

+1 for Mobil 1 on my ARs (generously used) and Glocks (less generously)

Mobil 1 on all my guns for years. However, a mechanic at Kwik Car told me that Mobil 1, while it has the best reputation among synthetics, actually does not lubricate as well as Royal Purple. I dont know. Does anyone know anything about Royal Purple?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mobil 1 on all my guns for years. However, a mechanic at Kwik Car told me that Mobil 1, while it has the best reputation among synthetics, actually does not lubricate as well as Royal Purple. I dont know. Does anyone know anything about Royal Purple? </div></div>

The guys on a 4x4 forum talk it up. I was going to change out my fluids on my jeep but the RP is expensive.
eek.gif

Unrelated to weapons exactly.

Mobil 1 best marketed. Red Line, Royal Purple, and Amsoil and likely others are better products. Actually Shell Rotella Synthetic is probably beyond Mobil 1 in actual quality. I thought I had lost the "oil" threads on the Motorcycle and Race Car forums but alas NO! Even in the sanctity of a rifle forum they continue to arise.

Don't trust me ask at Koffels Place (B1 Heads) their opinion of Mobil 1 and smoking valve guides.

All that being said: I agree with some of the others...most important is that it IS lubricated with something.

It works very good. ATF is one of the best lubes made. But I hate the way it smells.

I had used Rotella (I have two diesel trucks,so let's just say I keep some around the house) when I put stuff in the safe for a few months. If I had missed anything in the pre-storage cleaning, the Rotella definetly took care of it. I just dont like the clean up so much, so it's not an everyday thing.

For shotguns and my lever gun I use synthetic wheel bearing grease on the moving parts, but for my semi autos I use the MPro products now. I like them ALOT.

I sue Eezox because I like the smell, its kind of sweet smellin, though as an aftershave it make my eyes water.

ATF is one of the few standard solvents that will degrade fiberglass, even if it is epoxy. This would include your bedding job. So ya know.

Good to know, I only use it on the AR and sometimes on the 1911. I use gun lube on the bolt guns.

Subscribed for later reference.

We use it on our automatic weapons at the range. 50/50 ATF/CLP keeps the carbon build up to a minimum. I don't know of any effects of leaving it on for an extended period of time, we squirt it on then clean after firing. Done it for a while and only seen positive results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcC11B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We use it on our automatic weapons at the range. 50/50 ATF/CLP keeps the carbon build up to a minimum. I don't know of any effects of leaving it on for an extended period of time, we squirt it on then clean after firing. Done it for a while and only seen positive results.</div></div>
You should not have to worry about long term damage from ATF only that it stay put. That is why I prefer Mobil one instead of ATF as it clings better and stays longer. As to Royal Purple it is better than Mobil one but for me... Mobil one is cheap.