• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

who uses their tactical setup to hunt with?

txgunnertx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
weatherford tx
I am wanting to get a T4 or A5, and wondered if it hinders your hunting. I mainly call yotes, but have an AR for that, but my 243AI gets the call for after the sun goes down. I will also be doing some deer, antelope hunting with it. Just curious of yalls thoughts about hunting with them

Re: who uses their tactical setup to hunt with?

I do some, but I am partial to my archery equipment for most of my hunting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Night Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do some, but I am partial to my archery equipment for most of my hunting... </div></div>

Gave my bow away,I sound like a box of rice krispies going off when I draw.

I have used my tac rifle to hunt. It sucks. In your head, you know you could pick one off out to 650-700 yards.

You either never see one out that far, or can't get a stable position to shoot from.

Then you see one that snuck up on you while yiu were scanning way out there. You swing the rifle over to make a shot, but can't pick them up in the scope (at 5 or 6 power) to make a shot.

Meanwhile, you've humped your 15lb rifle all over hell and yoyr shoulders and back ache.

My dad gave me his old Remington 742, semi-auto 308 with 16" barrel and what appear to be sights hardly worthy of a 30-30.

What an upgrade! That little 5 or 6lb carbine with pencil barrel is a hunting godsend!

On the other hand, an ex-friend of mine used to get crop damage tags to "hunt" (more like snipe) deer in the beanfields. The precision tactical rifle is THE tool for the job...

Just set up on the edge of the field 30-45 minutes before dark, and pick off any deer you like, anywhere on the field.

A 60 acre field, of typical rectangle shape, is 700 yards corner-to-corner. The deer didn't have a chance. There were evenings we'd get 2 or 3 deer each between 400-675 yards.

Absolutely, but I don't carry a 16# gun with a 24" M40 contour unless I am watching a big bean field. I just got back a .223 that I had built on a carbon shell Manners T2 and with a carbon wrap barrel and with a USO 3.2-17 it comes in at a hair under 10#. It has a 20" barrel and had it set up fpr 70-80 gr bullets.....it will be my main deer gun next season. I also use a couple AR's quite a bit set up as precision guns, .308 and 5.56.

Well mine is set up mainly for hunting, I don't mind the heavy barrel, actually prefer them over a sporter. I am wanting a new stock, and was thinking either a hs pro series, but seen I could get an A5 or T4 at about 3#. So I got to thinking that the vertical grip would be nice, and I'm running a light Palma 20" barrel.

Tacs are great for long distance spot and stalk hunting but if your thing is backpack or backcountry hunting off of horseback using a scabbard I strongly recommend a rifle in the 8.5 to 9.0 lbs range max, with a scope no larger than a 44 mm, bigger than that and you better have your own rifle toter to carry it in,and the rifle is still heavy and stable enough for long distance shooting within reason.

This is why i had a GAP nontypical built. It weighs less then 10 lbs fully loaded and outfitted with premier LT scope. It shoots .5 minute and is my go to hunting rig for pretty much everything.