• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who's Got $240K Lying Around?

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Banned !
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hum...-h1-first-drive-sampling-the-restomod-hummer/

MIL SPEC AUTOMOTIVE H1 FIRST DRIVE: SAMPLING THE RESTOMOD HUMMER

Don't blame the three young bucks listed as co-founders of Mil Spec Automotive for this H1. No, the blame lies squarely with whomever is driving the price of original 2006 Hummer H1 Alphas up as high as a quarter-million bucks. Spending like that on vehicles like this represents "blood in the water," and these sharks are circling. The MSA team asserts—and it's hard to argue—that an H1 that's been disassembled and reengineered to a Singer 911 standard represents a better value than does a "used" and worn vehicle originally assembled to a "close enough for government work" standard. Some 729 H1 Alphas were built, of which who knows how many are truly in the kind of condition that warrants its quarter-million-dollar asking price. Mil Spec is only hoping to convince a dozen potential buyers that theirs is the better bargain.
Mil-Spec-Automotive-H1-5.jpg

VIEW 40 PHOTOS
Every Mil Spec Automotive H1 will have started life as a 1995-2001 Hummer H1 civilian model. The team started out working with cheaper, easier-to-source military examples, but their VINs cannot be registered in all states, hence the switch to less prevalent civi H1s. The vehicle is disassembled to a nut-and-bolt level; the frame is checked, cleaned, powder-coated in gloss black, and reassembled with all new hand-torqued fasteners. The 10-gauge aluminum bodies are similarly inspected, and many require rework, because of the considerable amount of flex permitted by the original. They're then upgraded with sound, vibration, and thermal insulation, and ultimately painted with a thick, rugged bed-liner-type material that can be tinted different colors and contains Kevlar to improve scratch resistance. They're then titled according to the year of their original VINs.
Naturally, Mil Spec upgrades the most miserable part of the early H1: its powertrain. Out goes the wheezing 6.2-liter diesel, or 6.5-liter turbodiesel, or 5.7-liter Small Block gas V-8 and the three- or four-speed automatic that backed it up. In goes a 6.6-liter Duramax turbodiesel V-8 and an Allison 1000 six-speed automatic transmission. H1 Alphas used the LLY-code version of this engine, but MSA acquires and remanufactures the slightly later LBZ-code variant that received numerous strengthening upgrades. This is necessary to withstand the Mil Spec tuning that elevates output from the 360 hp and 650 lb-ft it made in GM's heavy-duty pickups to 520 hp and 1,000 lb-ft. The cooling package is enhanced to match.
MSA is claiming a 0-60 time of 5.5 to 6.0 seconds, depending on body configuration and options (read: mass) and a top speed of 94 mph. That's well down from the 11.1 seconds we measured on a 2006 model 7,558-pound H1 Alpha SUV. Speaking of mass, the finished trucks are coming out at about 6,900 pounds for the two-door pickup to 7,600 pounds for a full-tilt-boogie SUV.
Mil-Spec-Automotive-H1-30.jpg

VIEW 40 PHOTOS
Mil-Spec-Automotive-H1-44.jpg

Mil-Spec-Automotive-H1-18.jpg

Mil-Spec-Automotive-H1-17.jpg

Mil-Spec-Automotive-H1-31.jpg

See all 40 photos
The inboard vented and slotted 10.5-inch brake rotors and the halfshafts that connect them to the gear-reduction hubs are also uprated to 12,000-pound GVWR standards. There's no ABS or parking brake function, however. MSA has been toying with a track-rat variant that is a soft-top model with cloth doors that weighs less than 6,000 pounds and is lowered 10 inches (6 from the suspension plus 4 from the tires—they did not invert the gear-reduction hubs). Fitted with an Intrepid Package the company is developing to boost engine output to 800-plus hp and 1,700 lb-ft of torque, its 0-60 is said to drop to around 5 seconds.
With Singer Porsches as MSA's business-case template, the design changes little inside or out, but everything is finished to a much higher standard with minimal plastic parts in evidence. MSA was able to rearrange the interior somewhat in an attempt to reduce the feeling of claustrophobia, but the reality of that high-riding girder chassis off which the occupants are slung like saddlebags is that the four passengers still ride far away from each other and jammed up against doors that still can't have armrests. There are dual air-conditioning units, but each blows pretty high-speed air through a pair of Ford Super Duty round air vents and floor registers. There's no thermostatic control, so it's kind of a freeze-or-fry proposition (MSA is looking for a new supplier). The window switches are from older BMW M3s because of the tactile click they provide. Naturally, USB jacks, Bluetooth capability, and a kickin' sound system are part of the program.
Mil-Spec-Automotive-H1-22.jpg

VIEW 40 PHOTOS
Our test drive is in a 7,400-pound four-door hardtop pickup model equipped with the $5,499 Bold Body and Tire package that adds about 7 inches to the width and fits 38x15.5R20LT tires. (MSA does not retain the problematic central tire-inflation system, but a standard onboard compressor eases the task of airing tires up and down for sand-dune running.) This is the original prototype vehicle that will be used as a dealer demonstrator. A soft-top starts at $218,499. This four-door hardtop body style adds $13,999, and with a few more options, its final sticker price is $239,295.
Having road-tested both the first H1 diesel prototype and a later gasser, I'm immediately struck by how much more lively this powertrain is. Throttle response is linear and detectable, unlike with that first one. Another uniquely endearing H1 trait: The little back-and-forth motion you get after you come to a stop, due to halfshaft windup and slop in the reduction gears. The sound deadening efforts go far to insulate the powertrain noise, but the roar from the knobby tires still gets in (there's $5,499 we'd save). Brake feel from the hydraulically boosted system is firm and confident, and the stoppers seem capable of besting the 164-foot stopping distance from 60 we measured in the 2006 H1 Alpha. Steering effort is quite reasonable from the small-diameter steering wheel that obscures my view of the speedometer for speeds above 60 mph. Ride quality feels pretty similar to that of the original H1—which is to say, rough and a little jarring, especially on these gigantic and heavy tires. Of course, one shouldn't buy a military specification vehicle expecting a magic carpet ride.
If you're trolling duPont Registry or the big auction catalogs for H1 Alphas, you should absolutely give Mil Spec a long, hard look. The performance upgrade alone justifies the similar spend. The modern fittings and nicer trim are pure cake-icing.
Mil-Spec-Automotive-H1-13.jpg

Pretty dumb.

It would be better with 360hp, no one needs an H1 that does 0-60 under 7 seconds.

The rest of the work sounds ok although overpriced.

I see the market as a few rich juice heads who aren't satisfied with a regular grade bro-dozer.

Off road king demoted to Highway queen. loose the fancy wheels and give me some tires with large side wall cross section. air-ing down the tires to 10 psi is just going to cause a tire to get pinched. real bead locks would be preferred.

Reactions: thejeep
Buying a trail vehicle (and a vastly overpriced one at that) that is too wide for 90% of trails isn't very smart. I guess if you're one of tens of millions of poseurs out there that would never dream of getting any pin striping on your rig in the first place, hitting all the mud puddles on your way to work and spilling latte on your waterproof seats. I don't think many people who could afford one of these in the first place would even know what to do with it.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
Buying a trail vehicle (and a vastly overpriced one at that) that is too wide for 90% of trails isn't very smart. I guess if you're one of tens of millions of poseurs out there that would never dream of getting any pin striping on your rig in the first place, hitting all the mud puddles on your way to work and spilling latte on your waterproof seats. I don't think many people who could afford one of these in the first place would even know what to do with it.
Yea 7" wider than stock and they are wide SOB's to begin with. Width on that should be 7' 10" making only 2 inches away from needing "wide load" signage
Edit: might be 8' 6" before "wide load". Either way they are wide to begin with.

Last edited:
What, no machine gun mount.:mad: Sirh does not approve.

LOL. They have special trails to take them on, and real wide driveways in the mall parking lot. I am just getting ready to rebuild my K5 blazer. I got too old for no top, no doors and no heater. Its still to wide for a lot of what we have in Colorado. Or marginal at least, the rash on the body panels tells the tale. LOL.

It's not a trail mobile. It's a status symbol and a piss off liberals symbol. They do great at that. I would have a Alpha if they weren't uncomfortable inside and I had more time to actually use it.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I just park my truck and hike places no motorized vehicles can go.
The nastier the better. Less people to contend with.

When I did some wheeling here in CO, I did see a couple H1’s in a pickle with width issues and tight corners. Pretty funny as they then had to backdown some nasty stuff.

When we lived in MI, we'd do a few trips a year down to the Red River Gorge in KY to rock climb, eat pizza at Miguels and visit the Beer Trailer.

So we were trying to find some obscure crag one day, hiking up an old jingus logging road that was gnarly, worse than some bad hiking trails, when along comes some little Dodge SUV full of the hillbillies that had modified the fuck out of it. It had outriders with edges that chopped down saplings. The sight of that brought visions of a Deliverance North sequel. It looked like a kid's toy with huge tires. It wasn't much past 6 a.m. and they were all on their 3rd beers, or 17th, depending on when you started counting.

Ya gotta love ol' Kaintuck.

Reactions: W54/XM-388

When I did some wheeling here in CO, I did see a couple H1’s in a pickle with width issues and tight corners. Pretty funny as they then had to backdown some nasty stuff.
I am not sure you know what a properly equipped vehicle can do. You understand how many trips you would have to make up this cliff to carry what one vehicle can.

Last edited:
"No one needs more horse power..." said no man, ever...
360hp in an H1 should be fine considering that I think they came with 165hp stock. They are slow speed vehicles designed for rock crawling and cruising at probably less than 65.

The other thing you get with the power of a turned up turbo diesel is poor reliability. If 360 is enough, why turn it up?

A Hummer fails to be an all terrain vehicle when it is broken.

Once you've got 360, it probably needs revised gearing more than it needs another 200hp.

It's an expensive Hummer, not a vehicle for King of the Hammers.

I never quite understood why those damned things only had 167HP stock. I get they weren’t designed for “fast”, but always seemed under-performed. I have seen them go through some shit, but a bigger horse motor would’ve made it far more capable.

Reactions: flyer
I like the imported G wagens, you can get them with a 100% mechanical turbo diesel making an easy 250hp+ and upgraded with all the comforts of a recent G500. Nearly as capable as a Hummer in a much more SUV like package with luxury standard. Less than $250,000 too.

It's not a trail mobile. It's a status symbol

Exactly. Like the bimbo in the $60 K Land Rover who drives it to the mall and hubby drives it to the golf course." OFF ROAD!!! Oh no it might get a dent."

2a
I am well aware. Seen it and done some of it.
Really its just not my thing.

Call me crazy, many have before......

Wheels are lame. Vehicle itself is pretty capable. They are wide so on some trails it's harder to pick a line, (like Black Bear where they just fit) but in cases where they fit, you can put on 42" beadlocked meats and go over or through about anything. The stock powerplant 6.2, 6.5 6.5td didn't move them well on the freeway (fixed with the Alpha) , but the geared hubs gave them a lot of torque offroad. They are tough on ball joints and steering components.

So several threads over we're sharing stories about how we hide new firearms from the wife. I'd love to hear the stories about how you plan on hiding a $250K H1. My wife would be 'maybe your mom would believe that story, but I'm not'

Reactions: Tucker301
"check out the body kit I put on my Suzuki Samurai"