• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why aren't the Fury 5000 binos more popular?

jzerfoss

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
I've been in the market for range finding binos and from what I've seen the Vortex Fury 5000s seem to be the best bang for the buck especially with the warranty. The thing that gives me pause is that I don't see hardly any objective reviews (non-sponsored) or even talk about them. Am I missing something? Other than they don't link to kestrels whats the downside to these lrf binos?

I've been in the market for range finding binos and from what I've seen the Vortex Fury 5000s seem to be the best bang for the buck especially with the warranty. The thing that gives me pause is that I don't see hardly any objective reviews (non-sponsored) or even talk about them. Am I missing something? Other than they don't link to kestrels whats the downside to these lrf binos?
I'm glad to see this question. I'm in the market and have been wondering the same thing.

My guess is they don't have a ballistic computer built in

For my uses I'm ok with that. I'm mostly wondering if they don't live up to the advertised specs or they have some type of negative issues.

For my uses I'm ok with that. I'm mostly wondering if they don't live up to the advertised specs or they have some type of negative issues.
I believe from what I read also it is not razor glass believe it is viper

Not having the ballistic program is it. I don't need it either. They hit at the specs and have great glass. It's not viper glass. No negative issues. Had friends hitting rocks at 3300 yards easily. I have had them near 2000 and they read fast. They really are a great LRF for the money. People thinking they need ballistic software in everything is the only reason they don't sell as much as some others.

Not having the ballistic program is it. I don't need it either. They hit at the specs and have great glass. It's not viper glass. No negative issues. Had friends hitting rocks at 3300 yards easily. I have had them near 2000 and they read fast. They really are a great LRF for the money. People thinking they need ballistic software in everything is the only reason they don't sell as much as some others.

Yeah, I don't need BT or internal BC. I almost always have time to mess with my kestrel and anytime I wouldn't I'll probably have a dope card with me.

Reactions: Geno C. and Rob01
Read between the lines. What is the fury missing? You can keep the answers to yourselves! I think we all know what is coming around the corner. A deaf, dumb and blind man can see whats coming. It's a new year and its only begun.

Maybe I'm stirring the pot, maybe not?

when we were getting all new glass, vortex sent me some demos. Scopes/rings, fury binos, and a spotter that I took to a 1-week class last year.
I really liked the binos when they were working, but they took a shit after day one and the readout wouldn’t show up or it was extremely dim, even with new batteries. Luckily it wasn’t necessary for the class.

we decided to skip the range finding binos, and just go with separate units. I don‘t have any other experience, but Im not totally turned off to the idea of rangefinding binos. Maybe I’ll try another set in the future.

Reactions: jzerfoss
The Sig 3000BDX is the same price and has more features. App + built in solver and the ability to link up to a AB device. Glass is the same imho, ranges about the same, and maybe more? I've hit 5k reflective targets in good conditions.

And CameraLandNY was running an $900 openbox special on the sigs it was a no brainier. I see a lot of people running them at matches or for hunting at our local ranges.

The Sig 3000BDX is the same price and has more features. App + built in solver and the ability to link up to a AB device. Glass is the same imho, ranges about the same, and maybe more? I've hit 5k reflective targets in good conditions.

And CameraLandNY was running an $900 openbox special on the sigs it was a no brainier. I see a lot of people running them at matches or for hunting at our local ranges.

The vortex warranty is worth more to me than features I don't need. Unfortunately every manufacturer puts out lemons and/or accidents happen. I just don't want to have to keep sending them in for "bugs" and issues. Personally Sig isn't a name I would trust in any area related to shooting.

Read between the lines. What is the fury missing? You can keep the answers to yourselves! I think we all know what is coming around the corner. A deaf, dumb and blind man can see whats coming. It's a new year and its only begun.

If you are talking about a ballistic solver and BT then mehhhh I'd take it if it doesn't cost any extra but not something I'm really needing or interested in. I'm mainly wondering if there's any real bugs/issues with the fury 5000s. Rumors about new products are just that unless it comes from a credible source.... Not too interested in something that may or may not be coming out a year from now.

Last edited:

This, plus negative reviews about some of the lowest priced Vortex products (paints a negative picture of Vortex quality).

I have the Fury 5000 and think the glass and range finder are excellent (if the range finder seems dim, use the controls to increase the brightness).

Reactions: Wyzrd and jzerfoss
Love mine! I’ve used them out to 3100 and didn’t have problems. The glass is good too imo.
FAC49E9A-B1C3-4ED4-ABAE-000AE291A261.jpeg

I shot a match last summer with a borrowed pair because I didn't trust my Leica's to range reliably past 1K. I thought they were great. I ended up trading in my Leica's for the Sig Kilo 3000 because I really like it's ability to talk to my Kestrel. I had them (Vortex and Sig) side by side for a few days and couldn't tell the difference optically. Both were reliable ranging way north of 2K yards, farther that I need by about 50%. Nice unit, I just wanted the functionality of the Sig.

I've been insanely happy with my Fury 5000 LRF / Binos. I recently added the Razor 4000s, and while they don't offer the binocular functionality, their LRF is also fantastic. We used the Fury 5000 and Razor 4000 exclusively at this year's Mammoth Sniper Challenge, and had terrific luck with them.

What others have said. The optical quality and LRF ability are neck and neck with the Sig Kilo 3000. Considering the extra features that the Sig offers, I can't see why anyone would pick the Vortex.

Full Disclosure: My brother had (past tense) the Vortex. I used them an entire day coyote hunting. I found them... decent. I subsequently bought the Sigs and have been extremely pleased with them. They're optically very good, and the LRF ranges targets much further than I could ever hope to shoot.

when we were getting all new glass, vortex sent me some demos. Scopes/rings, fury binos, and a spotter that I took to a 1-week class last year.
I really liked the binos when they were working, but they took a shit after day one and the readout wouldn’t show up or it was extremely dim, even with new batteries. Luckily it wasn’t necessary for the class.

we decided to skip the range finding binos, and just go with separate units. I don‘t have any other experience, but Im not totally turned off to the idea of rangefinding binos. Maybe I’ll try another set in the future.
I've seen one other person with this issue. They simply got into the menu and ended up turning the brightness down. I was able to fix it easily. If other people were using it, maybe that was the issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob01
What others have said. The optical quality and LRF ability are neck and neck with the Sig Kilo 3000. Considering the extra features that the Sig offers, I can't see why anyone would pick the Vortex.

Full Disclosure: My brother had (past tense) the Vortex. I used them an entire day coyote hunting. I found them... decent. I subsequently bought the Sigs and have been extremely pleased with them. They're optically very good, and the LRF ranges targets much further than I could ever hope to shoot.

Honestly the warranty is a huge factor for me. I understand the mindset of you shouldn't need it but I literally have the worst luck when it comes to buying anything shooting. I've had to send back Schmidt, Kahles, Bushnell, bad barrels, bad Smith work from great Smiths, chassis, triggers, etc. I've come to the conclusion that there's a great chance I'll have to send products back regardless of the price or manufacturer.

Reactions: Geno C.
I wouldn't rate the glass as anything other than adequate in both the Sig and Fury 5000. The LRF is stellar, and I like the BDX in the Sig but mine had wandering diopter issues, and a badly misaligned reticle/laser zero. They both need better glass, and even if they charge an extra $200 for Razor type glass people would jump all over it.

I wouldn't rate the glass as anything other than adequate in both the Sig and Fury 5000. The LRF is stellar, and I like the BDX in the Sig but mine had wandering diopter issues, and a badly misaligned reticle/laser zero. They both need better glass, and even if they charge an extra $200 for Razor type glass people would jump all over it.

I don't disagree about the glass. It's plenty usable, but I'm also a hunter and notice my sigs don't do as well as my old diamondbacks at twilight.

I bought a pair of used Fury 5000s and a pair of Viper HD 8x binos. My brother is a photographer and has a better eye for optic quality and said the CA on the Fury was way more noticable than on the Viper. I can't tell any noticable difference between the two side-by-side except I do favor the Vipers. I've ranged buildings out to 2600 with the Fury and I've been happy with them but then again I upgraded from 20 year old Simmons binos I had so I'd be happy with anything. Can actually tell if the deer have antlers at 200 yards now. :)

Reactions: Wyzrd
I started using mine to spot at matches and they work great out to 1000 yards to clearly see hits on steel. I was actually pretty impressed with the glass especially when mounted on a tripod. Could say something about a comparison with a well known set of binos looking down the same lane of targets but I know it would make the world blow up so I will not bring it up. LOL

I just put mine through their paces and they were fine . Time will tell but so far so good.

I have a buddy that had the first gen Fury's and I would NOT recommend those. Supposedly the 5000's are a big step up and from what I'm hearing here and other places most folks seem to be happy with them. I'm about to pull the trigger on these or the Sig's and since I use a Kestrel w/ Link the Sig seems like a no brainer for me. My usage will be hunting out West and LR target shooting.

out before November?

I was always told the sigs are have better lrf software. Not sure if it was the truth but more than a few people said it in one of these kilo3000 vs fury5000 threads

Not sure about the Kilo but the Fury 5000 will range farther than most here will shoot on non reflective targets let alone reflective. lol

Reactions: Wyzrd and Geno C.
I tried to talk myself into the Fury’s. The first set I looked through, there was a noticeable blue tint that I wasn’t a fan of. Maybe it was a ‘bad’ sample or just my eyes, but they weren’t for me. For me, that’s why I went a different route.

Were they the Fury or Fury 5000? The Fury was discontinued and the 5000 replaced it this pst year.

Reactions: jafo96
I bought a pair when they first came out, so far I've been happy with them. The LRF is fantastic, it will range over 2000 on rocks and trees and I've got 3000 on metal buildings, way farther then I'll shoot. I haven't spent a whole day looking for animals through them I've mostly used them at the range to spot hits on steel but the glass is pretty good, its not as good as a set of Razors i compared them to but still good. I did notice the slight blue tint to them but it doesn't bother me.

Were they the Fury or Fury 5000? The Fury was discontinued and the 5000 replaced it this pst year.
They could have been the Fury’s, but I thought it was the 5000’s. I believe it was either March or April of 2019 and it was the “latest and greatest” at that time. Were the 5000’s out then?

So we getting a Fury 5000 2.0 with solver? Orrrrr???

I’d love to have something out compete the Sig and have locking diopters. I need this for hunting. Up, view, range, solution, dial, shoot.

Reactions: Wyzrd and jafo96
Not from what I have heard. Just the Fury 5000 for now. It just came out last year.

have a pair of sigs 3000bdx's coming, compared them , Leica's , and Swaro's last weekend at Cabela's. Swaro's didn't impress that much, Sigs were nice, Leica's were GREAT. But can't justify $3000 (3000.com's that link ) for bino's knowing how much i'll use them. Figure i'll put the extra i save into a Swaro spotting scope maybe down the road that i was super impressed with. The deal i got on the sig's , if i don't like them i'll be able to get my money back , but i think they'll work just fine

have a pair of sigs 3000bdx's coming, compared them , Leica's , and Swaro's last weekend at Cabela's. Swaro's didn't impress that much, Sigs were nice, Leica's were GREAT. But can't justify $3000 (3000.com's that link ) for bino's knowing how much i'll use them. Figure i'll put the extra i save into a Swaro spotting scope maybe down the road that i was super impressed with. The deal i got on the sig's , if i don't like them i'll be able to get my money back , but i think they'll work just fine

How does this relate to the OP?

Would rather see a Fury 5k that sends distance to Kestrel via Bluetooth for under $1400

I think the Fury has the better laser over the Leica 2200s I have but the glass in the Leica is great.

At like 2k (down from 3k ?) when the new models come out they're just too frickin pricey to stay current on upgrades

I would rather have a rangefinder that will actually rang a coyote consistently at 1200 yards. The 10 plus year old Vectronix is the only one I have seen which will do it. If I was in charge at Leica I would buy the patent and make these( updated of coarse). Vectronix operated on two CR123 batteries. I think the voltage was one of the reasons they worked so damn well. 10 years later and no one has yet to match them except for newcon's new one .

I would rather have a rangefinder that will actually rang a coyote consistently at 1200 yards. The 10 plus year old Vectronix is the only one I have seen which will do it. If I was in charge at Leica I would buy the patent and make these( updated of coarse). Vectronix operated on two CR123 batteries. I think the voltage was one of the reasons they worked so damn well. 10 years later and no one has yet to match them except for newcon's new one .

Have you tried a Fury 5000?

Would rather see a Fury 5k that sends distance to Kestrel via Bluetooth for under $1400

I think the Fury has the better laser over the Leica 2200s I have but the glass in the Leica is great.

At like 2k (down from 3k ?) when the new models come out they're just too frickin pricey to stay current on upgrades
Is the laser better in terms of speed, accuracy, both?

Speed and distance for sure, I'd like to squad with somebody who has a pair at a match and compare all weekend, suppose I could sell my Leica 2200Bs but they're hard to let go of with that glass ?

Speed and distance for sure, I'd like to squad with somebody who has a pair at a match and compare all weekend, suppose I could sell my Leica 2200Bs but they're hard to let go of with that glass ?
Haha, yeah I’ve been happy with my 2200’s. I haven’t noticed a problem with the laser in mine but I also haven’t spent much time comparing to anything else.