• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why coated cleaning rods?

D1gger

GDI
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 12, 2017
    Staunton, VA
    ok, so here's my stupid question-why does it seem that everyone is using coated cleaning rods? If the rod is anything other than metal, as opposed to stainless steel, doesn't it have the opportunity to pick up metal particles and then scratch the barrel with that particle?
    Wouldn't a proper sized rod have zero opportunity to harm the barrel, assuming you are using the proper cleaning jags?
    I feel like I'm missing something obvious here-

A coated rod is a lot better than the junk rough finished alum rods.

Can’t really go wrong with any 1 piece rod along with a properly sized bore guide.

i like the Tipton carbon fiber ones.

What about 1 piece stainless rods?
    I have a whole rack of SS rods. Pro Shot brand, I like them. my barrels get worn or damaged from firing bullets down them. I've had a Hawkeye borescope for yrs and have yet to see a spot in barrel that was damaged from a rod.
    I have one carbon rod from Montana Extreme, I hove the handle, but the rod flexes. There is no bore guide made that can eliminate flex of a rod in a barrel if a pinch point is encountered.

Reactions: Tono and yakstone
    ok, so here's my stupid question-why does it seem that everyone is using coated cleaning rods? If the rod is anything other than metal, as opposed to stainless steel, doesn't it have the opportunity to pick up metal particles and then scratch the barrel with that particle?
    Wouldn't a proper sized rod have zero opportunity to harm the barrel, assuming you are using the proper cleaning jags?
    I feel like I'm missing something obvious here-
    First, aren't cleaning rod sizes, .17, .22, .27, and 30 cal, be tough to have a perfect mate to in-betweens. I had one gunsmith talk about coated rods maybe creating issues in the same sense you described. A guy should really wipe your rod on every extraction, but there really shouldn't be any damaging metal in the barrel to begin with. If your rifling is crumbling(lol) or coming apart, a cleaning rod is the last of your worries.
    Not accusing you or anyone, but we as shooters tend to look for excuses, we need excuses. Just from someone who has looked at the inside of barrels for 7-8 yrs with my own scope, and with a friends before that, todays barrels are pcs of art compared to 8yrs ago, and all the shit you saw in one back then makes you wonder how it ever grouped.

Reactions: D1gger
    Not accusing you or anyone, but we as shooters tend to look for excuses, we need excuses. Just from someone who has looked at the inside of barrels for 7-8 yrs with my own scope, and with a friends before that, todays barrels are pcs of art compared to 8yrs ago, and all the shit you saw in one back then makes you wonder how it ever grouped.

Yep. Once you scope it, it's over. Go ahead and start ordering a barrel!

OP: Never had a single issue with coated rods. Keep it clean, use a bore guide and don't drop them - no issues.

Yep. Once you scope it, it's over. Go ahead and start ordering a barrel!
    Lol, I am over that shit. I recall the first ones I looked, wondered how it could even hit paper at 100, but shot fantastic.

Lol, I am over that shit. I recall the first ones I looked, wondered how it could even hit paper at 100, but shot fantastic.

Been there, no more. My buddy has a LMT with a 16" 308 factory barrel that is eroded something stupid, and has about 2 inches of rifling literally missing from the bore near the muzzle. Still shoots 1 MOA. I've seen the same on bolt guns with 12K rounds on them, no problem! Velocity is pitiful, but accuracy is still there. It's damn amazing.

Reactions: Milo 2.5