• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why do people seem down on Savage rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no
MarinePMI it needs redesigned period. if you have a pierced primer the gasses will drive the ejector into the spring and it smashes it, peening the hell out of the spring ruining it. for most owners that use their rifles a couple of times a year it never becomes an issue because they are to lazy to reload or they use factory ammo only. but for match shooters , well how many times have you blown a primer?? probably a few i know i have. a very simple design change would fix this. drilling a 2 diameter hole for the ejector so that when it bottoms out it cant smash the spring. i think i have 6 0r 7 ejector springs i have on hand. i think i can persuade savage to fix this as it is a real problem.

Claims savages are g2g........then posts about how there’s a real problem with extractors.

Makes sense to me ?‍♂️

I have 3 with probably around 1000 rounds each that have never had a problem. But this one, evertime there's a blown primer the ejector spring gets smashed and takes all the spring out of it. Took a while to find ball gage small enough to check the extractor hole in the bolt face. In checking its diameter against the other 3 I found it's within spec. But just barely like by a half of a thousandth. The other 3 are towards the smaller dimension. Other than this occurrence mine have worked perfectly.

my savages--(sorry i changed computers gotta find pics of the re3st of my savages)

I am surprised none of your pictures appear to be from the two bench home 100y range your burning 50k rounds per year on. Or am I ???????:LOL:

I have 3 with probably around 1000 rounds each that have never had a problem. But this one, evertime there's a blown primer the ejector spring gets smashed and takes all the spring out of it. Took a while to find ball gage small enough to check the extractor hole in the bolt face. In checking its diameter against the other 3 I found it's within spec. But just barely like by a half of a thousandth. The other 3 are towards the smaller dimension. Other than this occurrence mine have worked perfectly.

Please just stop.

Reactions: camotoe
While I completely understand people's distaste for Savages (they aren't perfect by any stretch) it drives me absolutely crazy when people suggest that a Howa or Tika are in the same ballpark price-wise as a similar Savage. With the new 110s, you can buy a 308 (or 6.5/6CM) Savage with heavy threaded barrel, quality adjustable stock, AICS Mag, and 20MOA Rail, walking out only about $550 invested (after the rebate.) You would be lucky to walk out of a store with the absolute bottom end base model Tika for that price. Are the Tika/Howa nicer guns, absolutely. That doesn't mean that the Savage is a bad rifle, especially when you consider just what you get for the price.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
While I completely understand people's distaste for Savages (they aren't perfect by any stretch) it drives me absolutely crazy when people suggest that a Howa or Tika are in the same ballpark price-wise as a similar Savage. With the new 110s, you can buy a 308 (or 6.5/6CM) Savage with heavy threaded barrel, quality adjustable stock, AICS Mag, and 20MOA Rail, walking out only about $550 invested (after the rebate.) You would be lucky to walk out of a store with the absolute bottom end base model Tika for that price. Are the Tika/Howa nicer guns, absolutely. That doesn't mean that the Savage is a bad rifle, especially when you consider just what you get for the price.
Close enough in price to be in the conversation, IMHO.

I shared this story once before in the Equipment Forum:

When I was about 12 years old I decided I wanted my own propane torch, so off to the local hardware store with my dad. I found one for a little over $7 and picked it up (yes… I’m that old…). It looked decent to my young eyes, but had a plastic knob to adjust the gas flow. My dad, seeing what I’d selected, gently, but firmly, took hold of my selection and handed me another with all brass construction, priced at $12+: “Buy this one instead and you’ll still have it when you’re my age…” While that $5+ difference was a pretty big deal to me at the time, learning occurred. I did, and I do…

I'd rather spend $700-$1,000 well than $550 poorly... YMMV, of course ;)!

People getting into precision rifle shooting always hear this but never truly understand what it means until down the road they've dumped a bunch of money into a rifle they never should have bought. Most people into this kind of shooting aren't happy with "decent".

I've been buying and shooting Savage Heavy Barrel rifles since the 90's, and they are exactly what you're paying for, good o/o box accuracy at a lowball ticket price.

Are they infallible? No. At their price, they're still a bargain, unlike, ahem, Remington. If I had a buck for each Rem 700P with a barrel pointing out to the left, I'd have no trouble affording pizza.

The Savage bolt operation is not as smooth as more expensive rifles, and the extractors/ejectors also can fudge you up dead in the water.

My 2001 model 10FP has been worked over (blueprinted, cocking force mod applied) and is noticeably the smoothest action I own. The extractor/ejectors have never let me down EXCEPT when overly hot loads resulted in blown primers. I have some trouble blaming that one on Savage, but I also totally believe folks who say they had the problem with normal loads. I just haven't had that experience yet. I just recently blew another primer, and lo, this time the extractor and ejector still work fine.

All in all, going on 30 years worth, I remain pleased with my Savage rifles. My identical 11VT's .223, and .308 are capable (have) of competing on F T/R, and the 2001 10FP has several years worth of 1000yd F Open down its bore (a L-W 28" replacement barrel that is a drop-in, bought to get that extra 4" of bore length; the takeoff barrel ended up being given to another SH Poster). My quirky little 10FCM Scout 7.62x39 shoots .308 diameter handloads (110V-Max) with varmint-capable accuracy.

Rant On...

At 72, I appreciate advice, but Dad's not going to move my hand off the Savages I own. The 2001 10FP is going on a score of years old, and it's still competitive. So my mileage has varied, favorably in every instance. Even putting on a different stock, and adding an inexpensive but capable scope, the pricetag, ready for F T/R, is under $1100 for a reasonably decent beginner's comp rifle.

Does the action glide like a custom, no; but one does get past it rather quickly if they can mange to avoid going full retard. Can it hit sequential X's at 1000yd, you can betcher bippy on that one.

The main issue I have with the negative posters is that they all seem to come out in a feeding frenzy, lambasting Savage rifles and their owners, every single time somebody has the temerity to praise their Savage rifles. It's pack behavior, much like they're addicted to the act. Give it a rest, guys, we got your message years ago, your point is made over and over ad nauseam, and it's getting old and lame now.

Rant Off...

Greg

Last edited:
Greg,
I am not sure I have ever said much about Savage rifles. I am sure I have never commented on Savage rifle owners.
I will comment on the rifles now. Still not commenting on the owners. :)
Savage rifles fill no need that I have for a rifle. They are low quality crap. I had a friend who had one and he also had bad habit of "trigger flinch" The rifle would constantly misfire for him. Never did it to me. Still I consider any rifle that fails to fire when you pull the trigger defective.
My rifles are tools. Tools need to work. If rifles were toys, erratic function would be acceptable to some I guess.
My opinion is this. If you have a bunch of Savage rifles (excluding the 99) you have a bunch of cheap toys. You would be better off with one reliable rifle.
If all I could afford was a Savage rifle I would simply get a second job, sell something, change jobs or find a cheaper hobby. A rifle that is not reliable is like automobile breaks that work sometimes. Going to get you into trouble.
Beyond the fact that the rifles are unreliable, they are so ugly and cheap looking I would prefer to not shoot than handle one ever again.

I've been buying and shooting Savage Heavy Barrel rifles since the 90's, and they are exactly what you're paying for, good o/o box accuracy at a lowball ticket price.

Are they infallible? No. At their price, they're still a bargain, unlike, ahem, Remington. If I had a buck for each Rem 700P with a barrel pointing out to the left, I'd have no trouble affording pizza.

The Savage bolt operation is not as smooth as more expensive rifles, and the extractors/ejectors also can fudge you up dead in the water.

My 2001 model 10FP has been worked over (blueprinted, cocking force mod applied) and is noticeably the smoothest action I own. The extractor/ejectors have never let me down EXCEPT when overly hot loads resulted in blown primers. I have some trouble blaming that one on Savage, but I also totally believe folks who say they had the problem with normal loads. I just haven't had that experience yet. I just recently blew another primer, and lo, this time the extractor and ejector still work fine.

All in all, going on 30 years worth, I remain pleased with my Savage rifles. My identical 11VT's .223, and .308 are capable (have) of competing on F T/R, and the 2001 10FP has several years worth of 1000yd F Open down its bore (a L-W 28" replacement barrel that is a drop-in, bought to get that extra 4" of bore length; the takeoff barrel ended up being given to another SH Poster). My quirky little 10FCM Scout 7.62x39 shoots .308 diameter handloads (110V-Max) with varmint-capable accuracy.

Rant On...

At 72, I appreciate advice, but Dad's not going to move my hand off the Savages I own. The 2001 10FP is going on a score of years old, and it's still competitive. So my mileage has varied, favorably in every instance. Even putting on a different stock, and adding an inexpensive but capable scope, the pricetag, ready for F T/R, is under $1100 for a reasonably decent beginner's comp rifle.

Does the action glide like a custom, no; but one does get past it rather quickly if they can mange to avoid going full retard. Can it hit sequential X's at 1000yd, you can betcher bippy on that one.

The main issue I have with the negative posters is that they all seem to come out in a feeding frenzy, lambasting Savage rifles and their owners, every single time somebody has the temerity to praise their Savage rifles. It's pack behavior, much like they're addicted to the act. Give it a rest, guys, we got your message years ago, your point is made over and over ad nauseam, and it's getting old and lame now.

Rant Off...

Greg

If you would have had just one of your 700p rifles blueprinted instead of the savage. You would have ended up with a barrel that points straight, and a much better action.

You don't like people who don't like savages because we are numerous and disagree with you. Get over it. I don't think they are even a good buy. There are a bunch of cheaper budget rifles now. Why should you care?

Last edited:
I don't think they are even a good buy. There are a bunch of cheaper budget rifles now. Why should you care?

What else is out there that you can buy for 2-300 bucks that is an honest-to-goodness half minute rifle? I own currently, have owned in the past, and have handled (other people's) some extremely nice guns from near about every category (custom built pistols, 20k+ trap and skeet shotguns, fancy bolt guns, exquisite 3 gun ARs..). My Savage doesn't even BEGIN to make that list... But for what it is? Can't honestly say it was a bad deal. It seems a bit disingenuous to say otherwise to me, but I haven't shot PRS or gone out of my way to make it fail.

The closest priced Tika/Howa/Begara/etc. I've seen with similar features is right around $1000. That's an increase of 80%. By that logic, if you can afford a, for example, tika CTR, you may as well not buy it because an MPA rifle is roughly 80% more...

Get where I'm going with this?

And I'd rather see someone get a gun and go out and start using it than wait another year saving just to be told that now you may as well just buy the next nicer gun, don't waste your money on this one...

Prong fine you don't like savage and you rather spend your money else where doesn't bother me in the least, but why does it bother you that I like to spend mine on a savage????? Seems to me your the one with mental issues over what other people shoot????? Just like 3/4 of the other posts. And they have been personal!! So tell me why you care what I spend my money on??????

Reactions: 10ring1
Prong fine you don't like savage and you rather spend your money else where doesn't bother me in the least, but why does it bother you that I like to spend mine on a savage????? Seems to me your the one with mental issues over what other people shoot????? Just like 3/4 of the other posts. And they have been personal!! So tell me why you care what I spend my money on??????

It sure sounds like it does bother you by your responses in this thread. You say others are getting personal, yet you say he has mental issues? You said in an earlier post how others beat their chest, then the very next sentance you beat your chest about how many rounds you shoot every year, and how you've been reloading since before we were born.

Everything you're saying others are doing, is exactly what you're doing. You're no different than the guys that get all pissy if you say you don't like their favorite brand of truck.

Spend your money as you please, and screw what anyone else thinks. My dad always said he'd drive whatever truck he wanted to, because he's the one making the payment, not anyone else.

Dave

Just in case some of you guys have forgotten, the title of this thread is “Why do people seem down on Savage rifles.” Of course guys will post answers to that very question. If you are easily offended (snowflake) then don’t click on the thread.

The new 110 Tactical is a great entry level gun, but for people with the budget I'd strongly recommend spending only ~$300 more to get something like a Bergara B14 HMR when they go on sale (I've seen them in the $850-900 range around Black Friday). It has an adjustable LoP, adjustable cheek riser, and a non-fluted barrel attached to an action that's a lot smoother and more reliable in terms of consistent ejection. If you want something heavier and with a chassis, the RPR has everything adjustable, weighs more, and has a smoother and more reliable action than the Savage as well and it goes on sale for under $800 often (there's a 6CM version on grabagun for $797 shipped right now). I personally would prefer the Bergara action and the additional aftermarket support that goes along with it, but the RPR is another solid beginner's option.

If budgets are tight (I understand when they are, I started with a Savage 12FV for $240 because I'm a college student) then the Savage isn't a bad gun and they certainly make the cheapest guns that will get the job done. I personally believe the additional features offered by the other brands are worth the small increase in price.

Reactions: verdugo60
Only owned two Savages. First one was great (Axis), no issues.

Second one (FV) wasn't so great. Customer service was terrible enough that I gave up after 4 or 5 months of trying to get help from them.

Will NEVER purchase another Savage rifle again. Ever.

Tikka CTR in 6.5CM with a 24" barrel. I can say with certainty that you'll love it.

This. Save a bit more money and get the Tikka. You won't have to do anything to get it to run well and shoot. The bolt is a pleasure to run, the trigger is adjustable and they flat out shoot.

The savage may shoot ok but it's not worth dumping money into. It's a polished turd. That being said, I shot a Savage 308 for years and learned to handload with it. I got hits to a mile and gained a lot of experience.

If you really can't afford anything else then start with a Savage. To me, the Howa or Tikka are a better value that you can shoot for years and not outgrow.

My first bolt action was a left hand Savage 308. Shot over 7000 rounds through it with few issues. Most of the issues were trigger related (Accutrigger), I constantly had to adjust it as the sear wore out. I also had a blown primer ruin the ejector and spring. The extractor has never given me problems. Weak ejection is an issue, but it never lays the case on the top of the magazine. I have read that a safety detent spring from an AR15 will fit, you just need to cut a few coils off. I have yet to try it to see if it improves ejection. Other than that, it's a good rifle that I enjoy shooting. I just recently replaced the barrel with a Criterion prefit, and bought a bolt parts kit from SSS. Weak ejection continues to be an issue even with their "upgrade" kit.

My next two rifle purchases have both been Remington 700's in left hand. I switched to Remington for more options and modifications available for lefty's. The first one is a SA SPS that I bought with every intention of only using the bolt and receiver. I built the rifle for about the same price as buying a custom action. No action truing work has been done. The second 700 is a LA CDL hunting rifle in 30-06. Out of the box it has been a great rifle. It isn't picky on ammo, the bolt is nice and smooth to cycle, and is very accurate. I can repeatedly shoots 1/2 moa 5 shot groups with it. Besides the primary extraction issues we all know about with Remington, I fail to see the quality issues everyone talks about. Even the factory X Mark Pro trigger is nice after some adjustment of screws that are covered up with hot glue.

All in all I'm very happy with the Savage and Remington rifles I own.

Reactions: 10ring1
giphy.gif

The only Savages I have any interest in are the old ones. One day I’ll have a Model 99 in the safe, but the new ones... nope.

Look at all the cheap Howa barreled actions on Brownells, where are the feeding issues, ejector issues, trigger problems, etc with those? I haven’t heard of them.

It’s one thing to not know any better and buy a savage on a limited budget. It will get the job done in the short term. It’s quite another to recommend a rifle with known, systemic issues to others when you should know better.

This thread is packed full of people defending their prior financial decisions instead of making a rational cost/benefit analysis for the benefit of others.

I should clarify that if I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a Remington and skipped Savage. I would be money ahead of I had known that 10 years ago.

The only Savages I have any interest in are the old ones. One day I’ll have a Model 99 in the safe, but the new ones... nope.

Look at all the cheap Howa barreled actions on Brownells, where are the feeding issues, ejector issues, trigger problems, etc with those? I haven’t heard of them.

It’s one thing to not know any better and buy a savage on a limited budget. It will get the job done in the short term. It’s quite another to recommend a rifle with known, systemic issues to others when you should know better.

This thread is packed full of people defending their prior financial decisions instead of making a rational cost/benefit analysis for the benefit of others.

I know a guy who has a 99 in almost every caliber they made them in. He found a very early one on 300 savage.

What else is out there that you can buy for 2-300 bucks that is an honest-to-goodness half minute rifle? I own currently, have owned in the past, and have handled (other people's) some extremely nice guns from near about every category (custom built pistols, 20k+ trap and skeet shotguns, fancy bolt guns, exquisite 3 gun ARs..). My Savage doesn't even BEGIN to make that list... But for what it is? Can't honestly say it was a bad deal. It seems a bit disingenuous to say otherwise to me, but I haven't shot PRS or gone out of my way to make it fail.

2-300 and 1/2 minute all day. You seem pretty credible. Just for piece of mind, could i see the receipt and the 5x5? I don't give two shits what you own or what your opinion is, but if you want to make non-opinion based claims; I would expect you to back them up.

2-300 and 1/2 minute all day. You seem pretty credible. Just for piece of mind, could i see the receipt and the 5x5? I don't give two shits what you own or what your opinion is, but if you want to make non-opinion based claims; I would expect you to back them up.
It was like 190 out the door between sale, rebates and gift cards from ebay. Do some searching, there are lots opeople who have done that with the 12FV. Next time I go to the range I'll try to shoot some groups for you. But be warned, I'm not a group shooter, nor did I stay at a holiday inn last night. I'm just a pistol shooter who picked up a rifle a couple months back.

Here is my buddy who has the same rifle. He shoots groups like this regularly.

5 at 100
IMG_20180722_182004_976.jpg
5 at 250
IMG_20180909_075354_575.jpg

Savages may not all be half-minute guns, but they definitely are reliably MOA or better even on their cheapest model with factory ammo. My 12FV was $240 after the rebate, and here are a number of groups I've shot with it if you'd like to see them.

5 shots, 400 Yards, Hornady American Gunner 6.5CM, .59 MOA
5 shots, 100 yards, Hand Loaded 147 ELD-M's, .29 MOA
10 shots, 100 yards, Hornady American Gunner 6.5CM, .88 MOA

Savage rifles shoot well, to be sure. I personally believe that an entry level Bergara or a RPR has enough additional features (adjustable LoP and cheek riser, non-fluted barrel, smoother and more reliable action) to make it a better value compared to the Savage 110 Tactical, but the Savage will shoot just as well as either of the options I'd prefer.

Reactions: Bulldog10
I don’t think most folks are disputing the accuracy, most modern rifles are accurate.
What I see and hear is function, reliability and just generally being cheap looking and feeling. Some have stamped parts with edges that can lay your hand open.

This is a no win disagreement. Some folks are simply going to argue what they have is best in the face of contrary evidence. Call the owners of AI’s snobs etc.

I knew a guy once who lived in a trailer house. His stic was to start arguments trying to convince others that it was “higher quality” than a custom, stick built, brick home. Guy was adamant. Would not let it go. I think he shot a Savage.

Savages may not all be half-minute guns, but they definitely are reliably MOA or better even on their cheapest model with factory ammo. My 12FV was $240 after the rebate, and here are a number of groups I've shot with it if you'd like to see them.

5 shots, 400 Yards, Hornady American Gunner 6.5CM, .59 MOA
5 shots, 100 yards, Hand Loaded 147 ELD-M's, .29 MOA
10 shots, 100 yards, Hornady American Gunner 6.5CM, .88 MOA

Savage rifles shoot well, to be sure. I personally believe that an entry level Bergara or a RPR has enough additional features (adjustable LoP and cheek riser, non-fluted barrel, smoother and more reliable action) to make it a better value compared to the Savage 110 Tactical, but the Savage will shoot just as well as either of the options I'd prefer.

So are all the other budget rifles, if you believe the internet bull shitters, most of them are 1/2 moa too. There is no magic in factory savage barrels. Most factory rifles will shoot moa or a little better. We see reports of bad factory barrels from everyone here. Hell, I have gotten a bad Kreiger. If we go cherry pick groups we can find 1/2 or 1/4 moa from most anything. No-one said they don't shoot well anyway.

It was like 190 out the door between sale, rebates and gift cards from ebay. Do some searching, there are lots opeople who have done that with the 12FV. Next time I go to the range I'll try to shoot some groups for you. But be warned, I'm not a group shooter, nor did I stay at a holiday inn last night. I'm just a pistol shooter who picked up a rifle a couple months back.

So basically, you made a comment based on something you read online.... (y) Thanks for clarifying.

This is how I see this thread.

A question was asked.

People answered.

Fan boys got butt hurt.

Accused everyone else of having an axe to grind with not only savage, but savage owners.:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

The fucktardary continues. I don't personally care what rifle people pretend to shoot. I know there are people that actually shoot them. They are the ones that tell us how to keep them running. Like a 1940s chevy with flat heads and points. Yep, you can limp along and fix it all the time, or park it in the garage and claim you never have to work on it.

So are all the other budget rifles, if you believe the internet bull shitters, most of them are 1/2 moa too. There is no magic in factory savage barrels. Most factory rifles will shoot moa or a little better. We see reports of bad factory barrels from everyone here. Hell, I have gotten a bad Kreiger. If we go cherry pick groups we can find 1/2 or 1/4 moa from most anything. No-one said they don't shoot well anyway.

So basically, you made a comment based on something you read online.... (y) Thanks for clarifying.

This is how I see this thread.

A question was asked.

People answered.

Fan boys got butt hurt.

Accused everyone else of having an axe to grind with not only savage, but savage owners.:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

The fucktardary continues. I don't personally care what rifle people pretend to shoot. I know there are people that actually shoot them. They are the ones that tell us how to keep them running. Like a 1940s chevy with flat heads and points. Yep, you can limp along and fix it all the time, or park it in the garage and claim you never have to work on it.
Actually Gooldylocks isn’t full of crap. My buddy bought his savage about 6 months ago on sale for $399 minus savage $150 rebate, and $86/$100 cabelas gift cards. Came out to $215 or something close to that out the door. His rifle will one ragged hole with factory hornady 6.5 ammo. Did it straight out the box. Fouled quickly but after about 50 rounds it smoothed out. It is as accurate as any rifle I have ever seen at any price point. We hardly ever shoot for groups because it’s boring and it’s what people do when they can only shoot a few hundred yards. It is still a savage though and everything I said in my earlier posts still applies.

Actually Gooldylocks isn’t full of crap. My buddy bought his savage about 6 months ago on sale for $399 minus savage $150 rebate, and $86/$100 cabelas gift cards. Came out to $215 or something close to that out the door. His rifle will one ragged hole with factory hornady 6.5 ammo. Did it straight out the box. Fouled quickly but after about 50 rounds it smoothed out. It is as accurate as any rifle I have ever seen at any price point. It is still a savage though.

What he bought it for is not what I am talking about. Although special deal, discount, rebate, you could get a 6 months ago,doesn't count when we talk price. You understand that a gift card is money? Right? Some one put money on that shit.

He is full shit claiming they are all true honest half moa rifles, then telling us he doesn't shoot it really. He is a pistol shooter. They are not, but some of them shoot fine, its still a hooptie.:poop:

You're the one who posted asking to see the groups proving that a Savage can be a half minute gun at that price. I literally gave you exactly what you asked for, so don't try to tell me "no-one said they don't shoot well anyway." If you don't want to see groups, don't ask to see groups - it's that simple.

In case you forgot, here's the relevant portion of you asking to see groups from a Savage:

Again, I'm not saying a Savage is a great gun and that nobody should buy anything else (I built my custom Nucleus about 6-8 months after buying the Savage, for about 5 times the price, so clearly I don't think it's the end all of guns). If you bothered to read my post you'd have seen that I said I'd recommend purchasing a Tikka, Bergara, or a RPR over a Savage and I gave a variety of reasons why. What the Savage is, however, is the cheapest gun that will get the job done and shoot accurately.

You're the one who posted asking to see the groups proving that a Savage can be a half minute gun at that price. I literally gave you exactly what you asked for, so don't try to tell me "no-one said they don't shoot well anyway." If you don't want to see groups, don't ask to see groups - it's that simple.

In case you forgot, here's the relevant portion of you asking to see groups from a Savage:

Again, I'm not saying a Savage is a great gun and that nobody should buy anything else (I built my custom Nucleus about 6-8 months after buying the Savage, for about 5 times the price, so clearly I don't think it's the end all of guns). If you bothered to read my post you'd have seen that I said I'd recommend purchasing a Tikka, Bergara, or a RPR over a Savage and I gave a variety of reasons why. What the Savage is, however, is the cheapest gun that will get the job done and shoot accurately.

No, I posted questioning the credibility of a statement of the poster that said Savages are 1/2 moa rifles for 2-300 bucks. Its a factory rifle, the barrels are not as hit and miss as the actions, but they are factory barrels. In other words. No, they don't all shoot great! Its a cheap factory POS, just like a factory Remington, just like a factory Ruger.

"What the Savage is, however, is the cheapest gun that will get the job done and shoot accurately."

What job? What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? Do really expect me to believe you have access to the kind of data you would need to make that statement with any sort of credibility? Do any of you guys think, is this true, before you post?

No, I posted questioning the credibility of a statement of the poster that said Savages are 1/2 moa rifles for 2-300 bucks. Its a factory rifle, the barrels are not as hit and miss as the actions, but they are factory barrels. In other words. No, they don't all shoot great! Its a cheap factory POS, just like a factory Remington, just like a factory Ruger.

"What the Savage is, however, is the cheapest gun that will get the job done and shoot accurately."

What job? What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? Do really expect me to believe you have access to the kind of data you would need to make that statement with any sort of credibility? Do any of you guys think, is this true, before you post?

Well, let's go down the list of some of the jobs Savage rifle offerings can perform adequately even if they aren't the best option out there:
- Varmint rifle (mine's certainly killed hundreds of prairie dogs)
- Big game hunting
- PRS/NRL matches (mine has been in matches and finished somewhere in the middle)
- Benchrest/f-class (if you're just building on the action, obviously, but their target actions are reasonably popular for this application)

In fact, I'd challenge you to come up with even a single application (barring ELR, because they don't make actions that can handle .375 CheyTac or similar top ELR calibers) that a Savage rifle would be woefully inadequate for simply because of the name stamped on the receiver. They won't be the best at anything (besides being the cheapest on the market), but you can't make any kind of honest argument about it being impossible to use in a particular situation.

I dunno why you're all up in arms about this and calling them pieces of shit. I acknowledged their flaws and pointed out why I'd prefer different brands, but you've got your panties in a twist and seem to be unable to let this go unless I state that a Savage rifle could never possibly hit any target because they're all junk.

They're a budget rifle, yes. They shoot comparably to other factory rifles (including Tikka, Bergara, and all other popular <$1000 guns), yes. They are also significantly cheaper, in many cases, than other factory rifles because they provide you with the bare minimum. This is what makes them attractive to beginners. Without being able to pick up an affordable Savage I wouldn't be involved in competitive or long range shooting, so it filled its purpose for me as an entry level gun that let me get my feet wet without having to drop thousands on a custom build right away.

There's no debate left to be had, it's just you ranting, so I'm going to let this thread run the rest of its course without me.

Well, let's go down the list of some of the jobs Savage rifle offerings can perform adequately even if they aren't the best option out there:
- Varmint rifle (mine's certainly killed hundreds of prairie dogs)
- Big game hunting
- PRS/NRL matches (mine has been in matches and finished somewhere in the middle)
- Benchrest/f-class (if you're just building on the action, obviously, but their target actions are reasonably popular for this application)

In fact, I'd challenge you to come up with even a single application (barring ELR, because they don't make actions that can handle .375 CheyTac or similar top ELR calibers) that a Savage rifle would be woefully inadequate for simply because of the name stamped on the receiver. They won't be the best at anything (besides being the cheapest on the market), but you can't make any kind of honest argument about it being impossible to use in a particular situation.

I dunno why you're all up in arms about this and calling them pieces of shit. I acknowledged their flaws and pointed out why I'd prefer different brands, but you've got your panties in a twist and seem to be unable to let this go unless I state that a Savage rifle could never possibly hit any target because they're all junk.

They're a budget rifle, yes. They shoot comparably to other factory rifles (including Tikka, Bergara, and all other popular <$1000 guns), yes. They are also significantly cheaper, in many cases, than other factory rifles because they provide you with the bare minimum. This is what makes them attractive to beginners. Without being able to pick up an affordable Savage I wouldn't be involved in competitive or long range shooting, so it filled its purpose for me as an entry level gun that let me get my feet wet without having to drop thousands on a custom build right away.

There's no debate left to be had, it's just you ranting, so I'm going to let this thread run the rest of its course without me.

LOL. I stated an opinion. That is not debating. I called out someone who is full of shit. That is not debating. I called you out for being full of shit. That is not debating. LOL at the rest too. BTW.

LOL. I stated an opinion. That is not debating. I called out someone who is full of shit. That is not debating. I called you out for being full of shit. That is not debating. LOL at the rest too. BTW.
I'm not full of shit, nor did I ever say I don't shoot my rifle, just that I just got it. I have maybe 250 rounds through it so far, so I'm still learning and I'm not perfect that shooting groups. but when I have shot it and not had called flyers the groups have all come in less than 3/4 and many less than 1/2.

Gift cards are still money? WTF does that even mean? You can go on eBay any day of the week and buy $100 gift cards for $86 to Cabela's. Obviously they are still money but it isn't like you are buying them off of friend for some horrible gouging price or whatever.

And above all, I am definitely not a Savage fanboy. Like I said before, there are tons of other rifles I would recommend or rather have for PRS style matches. But if money is a big concern for someone, buying a rifle like this could allow them to start playing the game. I know it did for me.

If someone has $1,000 to spend, I'm definitely not recommending a Savage. If they have $400 to spend, then they're kind of the only game in town.

I'm not full of shit, nor did I ever say I don't shoot my rifle, just that I just got it. I have maybe 250 rounds through it so far, so I'm still learning and I'm not perfect that shooting groups. but when I have shot it and not had called flyers the groups have all come in less than 3/4 and many less than 1/2.

Gift cards are still money? WTF does that even mean? You can go on eBay any day of the week and buy $100 gift cards for $86 to Cabela's. Obviously they are still money but it isn't like you are buying them off of friend for some horrible gouging price or whatever.

And above all, I am definitely not a Savage fanboy. Like I said before, there are tons of other rifles I would recommend or rather have for PRS style matches. But if money is a big concern for someone, buying a rifle like this could allow them to start playing the game. I know it did for me.

If someone has $1,000 to spend, I'm definitely not recommending a Savage. If they have $400 to spend, then they're kind of the only game in town.

So, you are full of shit. Because you claimed savages are a 2-300 dollar half MOA rifle, but yours shoots 3/4 with some fliers, but many that are half. I know, you have no idea, but I butt hurt your feelings with my opinion. I know not all factory Savages are 1/2moa rifles, if you don't, sorry. The pertinent point here is, don't come here, make shit up, and expect not to get called out on it. I would understand if you at least knew the one you have shot that well. But making blanket statements, you have abosulutly no experience or evidence to back up gives you the "Full of shit award."

"Gift cards are still money? WTF does that even mean? You can go on eBay any day of the week and buy $100 gift cards for $86 to Cabela's. Obviously they are still money but it isn't like you are buying them off of friend for some horrible gouging price or whatever."

This made me laugh so hard dude. Aggressively ask me what I mean, like I am crazy:eek:. Then concede my point in the next sentence. :LOL::ROFLMAO::love:

So, you are full of shit. Because you claimed savages are a 2-300 dollar half MOA rifle, but yours shoots 3/4 with some fliers, but many that are half. I know, you have no idea, but I butt hurt your feelings with my opinion. I know not all factory Savages are 1/2moa rifles, if you don't, sorry. The pertinent point here is, don't come here, make shit up, and expect not to get called out on it. I would understand if you at least knew the one you have shot that well. But making blanket statements, you have abosulutly no experience or evidence to back up gives you the "Full of shit award."

"Gift cards are still money? WTF does that even mean? You can go on eBay any day of the week and buy $100 gift cards for $86 to Cabela's. Obviously they are still money but it isn't like you are buying them off of friend for some horrible gouging price or whatever."

This made me laugh so hard dude. Aggressively ask me what I mean, like I am crazy:eek:. Then concede my point in the next sentence. :LOL::ROFLMAO::love:
The fliers are me, not the rifle. I can watch the sights move during my trigger press when the gun goes off. If I could shoot better, the groups would certainly be better that's what I'm saying. I don't think I could shoot a half inch group every time even with a .1 MOA rifle. That is the "still learning" part.

And who gives a shit if they are still money, if you're buying them from a gift card retailer. It might not be a smart business decision for them, but that's just how they're going about business. Might as well take advantage of it.

By your logic, you must only use MSRP when talking about how expensive guns are. All those Ruger Precisions you can buy for 800 bucks right now on Grabagun clearly don't count either.

No, they aren't all going to be half minute rifles. But in the relatively small sample size I have seen, you're quite likely to get an accurate one.

I think some are .5 MOA rifles. Again, that is not the issue most folks have with Savage rifles. Nor do most folks care if others buy them, shoot them etc.
It is just mildly irritating when fanboys start telling you how great they are. Anytime you state a Savage is better than X, you are incorrect unless X is nothing. :)

I think some are .5 MOA rifles. Again, that is not the issue most folks have with Savage rifles. Nor do most folks care if others buy them, shoot them etc.
It is just mildly irritating when fanboys start telling you how great they are. Anytime you state a Savage is better than X, you are incorrect unless X is nothing. :)
100% agree. I've got no problem at all with telling people all are reasons that they aren't good (extraction, ejection, feeding, etc), and hate the fanboy-ism as much as anybody. Those are the same reasons I would tell someone to not buy one.

It is just the moving goalpost thing like corndog is doing that is annoying to me. "They aren't actually that cheap." "But here is the evidence that they are."

"They aren't actually that accurate." "But here is evidence that at least a fair number are."

"But gift cards are still money." "But it isn't money the consumer is spending, so it is irrelevant."

The issue with discussing rifles or products at any price point is that people get insecure about critiques of their choices in gear. The only guys I see around here sitting back from the chaos are the AI owners. Everyone else is in the thick of it even with the custom action debates.

My 2 cents - If one is to go shooting once in a while, get a Savage. Go shooting often, I think one would be happier with a better quality action for the better experience.

Exactly this. I had a savage that off the shelf shot consistently .5-.7 MOA on factory match ammo. But it was never as smooth or as pleasurable to cycle as even a rem 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.