• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Why do savage owners love nuts?

PowerstrokeOBX

Gunpowder Addict
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Outer Banks NC
This is probably a dumb question but why do savage owners love barrel nuts? Yes barrel changes are easy and affordable, but wouldn't it be easier to pin the lug and shoulder a barrel like normal?

The nut system requires using gauges to set head space but using the regular method the barrel has already set head space you just have to screw it down to XY lbs and roll. Correct?

The only real advantage seems to be cost, no? A prefit barrel is 300-5ish while a PREMIUM blank is 300 and chamber thread job is 2-250 for a total of 5-700.

This is probably a dumb question but why do savage owners love barrel nuts?

You answered your own question.

barrel changes are easy and affordable

As you say, one can get a good prefit for ~$300 and install it themselves in a basement or garage using minimal equipment whereas a shouldered barrel involves a gunsmith...which not only involves more expense for their services but a substantial increase in loss of use for a rifle.

Plus, there's some self-satisfaction in DIY swaps...

Last edited:
It also makes barrels/actions completely interchangeable.

If you pull a barrel off a remington action, it may or may not fit another remington action.

This means that a Savage barrel doesn't need to be custom machined to fit. That makes it easier and cheaper to manufacture, so that money can be spent elsewhere during manufacture (or pocketed by Savage).

It's a clever, albeit non elegant looking, solution to the barrel fitment problem.

Like Glocks, Savages are ugly until you've got one and messed around with it. They start to grow on you and before long you LIKE how they look!

Most prefits are made with premium blanks, like rock creek, brux,LW, shilen, and criterion. Ok maybe criterion isn't top shelf but the 4 i have had shot as good and cleaned as good if not better then my bartlien and brux barrels. The only prefits i would avoid is er shaw and McGowan.

You have never changed a barrel on a savage have you? If you had, you wouldn't have to ask this question. The barrel nut system is one of the main reasons for savages popularity.

To be honest no I haven't. I have changed the barrel on my rem clone half a dozen times. Although they were both threaded for the same exact action.

Ok, another question, Can the nut be pinned so you don't have to use head space gauges everytime? I know it would probably ONLY head space correctly on that 1 receiver.

Last edited:
Ok, another question, Can the nut be pinned so you don't have to use head space gauges everytime? I know it would probably ONLY head space correctly on that 1 receiver.

It can. Or you can just use red loctite. Or you could solder it. Or tackweld. Or you could istall it just the same way you do for a Remington - with a shoulder.

The barrel nut is not a superior method of achieving a switch barrel rifle. It is superior in ease of manufacture and for DIY picnic table at the gun club rebarelling....which I've done.

Last edited:
It's a savage thing, you wouldn't understand! As far as ease of changing and what not being a reason for popularity, yes, but not a big reason for me. I would rather have multiple rifles, but completely understand those that take advantage of he feature. For me, the reason I love savage is because of the accuracy. I would pay more than what they ask for their rifles if I HAD to, but thankfully they are priced well which I don't think Remington can say any longer. I know I will not buy another Remington gun myself without the intent of sending the action off to GA precision or something and scrapping the rest of the thing. I'm a savage fan through and through.

They dont NEED nuts if you dont like the nut...

482973_286533158123579_259062381_n.jpg

I have an F-TR rig I put together myself and it's one of the most accurate rifles I own. It was a budget build (under $1k, minus scope).

The nut made it possible.

Barrel nut, floating bolt head.........what is not to like?

Can convert a long action from 17 Squirrel to 338 RUM in 15 minutes.......what is not to like?

I am not a Savage Nut Guy

I like my Remingtons, Stiller and RPA Quadlock.

They do not have Nuts, but I have multiple barrels for each.

What IS interesting about the Savage system is not just the barrel nut, but the interchangeable bolt face,( which, by the way, none of the Savage Nut Guys has happened to mention yet).

This gives an unprecented level of flexibility unmatched by any other system, for the price. One rifle action can be a .223, .308 or .300 mag class rifle within just a few minutes time.

I am not a Savage Nut Guy.

But, Damn ! Look at the possibilities!

Paul

Edit: OK, so one guy beat me to the bolt face thing!

Last edited:
Marlin is using them also, everyone is going nuts including myself.Recieved and shot my first savage today from the guys at rock creek Im still in shock.Not going to admit it but Holy S_
may out shot some that cost me three times as much. Not the finest piece of art but it works,and works well.

Yes its all interchangeable in the garage, bolt, barrel, all of it, they do look a bit unconventional but the comments about the action sucking vs a Remmy are incorrect, they both suck about equally in my experience vs a Winny action or other customs out there. I will bet Rem has a barrel nut system in 5 years.

Barrel nut, floating bolt head.........what is not to like?

Can convert a long action from 17 Squirrel to 338 RUM in 15 minutes.......what is not to like?

+1

I have 3 and am looking for a 4th. All of them started out as something different than what they are now.
Plus it helps with my repressed childhood love of Linclon Logs.

I also have Contenders, Encores and Dan Wesson revolvers form the same reason.

The nut is a great thing. After looking through a borescope at the disaster Savage call a barrel, it makes removing accessable to the average guy. There are more expensive barrels, but the Criterions have shot well for us. As AJ Goddard figured out, the floating bolt head is the key.