• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why do you buy cheep safes?

Re: Why do you buy cheep safes?

SGT. Jman I was speaking in general, not at "you" personally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the so called safes are RSC(residental security containers). They have no UL fire rating and no TL ratings.

The AMSEC safe mentioned earlier has if I'm not mistake only 11gauge steel for body. It is what it is, and you can call it whatever you like. </div></div>

.120" thick. Less than one eighth of an inch!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most "gun" safes are all hype anyway.

The only way to get a real safe is to get it from somewhere that deals in safes designed to prevent thefts. The safes sold to lock up guns are all marketing. You pay more for the paint than the actual safe. </div></div>

And you actually believe this?

Is this alot of paint and less safe?
http://www.amsecusa.com/Gun_Safes/BF_Series_Gun_Safes/ </div></div>

It doesn't say how thick it is, you tell me?

If it's not at least 1/4" thick steel, it's a joke as far as I'm concerned.

Spending thousands of dollars for paint and fancy fire protection crap doesn't do you a damn bit of good when the most important thing a safe can do is make it difficult for a thief. </div></div>

I took it the other way around. I am truly sorry for the mix up. You and I are on the same page. I do apologize. </div></div>

Yeah it's cool. Fortunately I have a nice room in the basement. All it needs a a vault door.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bolted down Cannon gun safe, home security system, lighting, dog, neighbors, and the home occupied on average 18-20 hours a day. I consider that a defense in layers. I'm happy with my $800 safe and the rest of the money I didn't spend on a fancy job went to other more worthy causes. Good enough for my insurance company, good enough for me.

OP, I understand what you mean by having a "real" gun safe that has inch+ thick steel all around, but what is separating most gun safes from being stolen? A $20 dead bolt that can be breached with a $10 wrecking bar? Most folks will justify spending $3000 on a safe but think $34.95/mo is too much for a monitored security system or $8 is too much for the Readhead anchors. Single source protection is the real waste of money. I just hope anyone that invests that much into a safe also invests the money into other measures of security too.

If anyone wants my guns that badly, then bring it on, they're insured and I'll only be inconvenienced by the theft but not heartbroken. Try it when I'm home and I hope they know the value of their life because they just sold it to me for $1.50 of 12ga shells. Quite frankly they'll get more money by stealing one of my 3 vehicles I have, but they're all insured too.

Locks, safes, security systems, etc. only keep honest people honest. My goal is not to be the hardest target in the city, just the hardest target on the block. If they do their homework enough to realize that I have things of value, they'll also know that I'm not the target they're looking for and they'll hit the house 2 blocks up the road.</div></div>

Great response. I agree with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SGT. Jman I was speaking in general, not at "you" personally. </div></div>

Big Bo, I understand. No harm done here. But, it sounded personal!

i figure, buy what makes sense. protect in layers: alarm, dogs, safe, safe inside a safe, do what makes u feel comfortable. dont draw any attention to urself, shouldnt have issues. dont sit in ur garage in plain view with all ur goodies strewn about showing ur stuff off. in the words of some dude lol " dont start nothin aint gonna be nothin" and insurance is always a good thing, and docuementationnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no pictures means noooooo money!!!!!!!!

Actually a decent cheaper safe would work for me. I have a small ancient balloon constructed house 24x24 with very little in it to add to the fire load. In 5 minutes the house would be lost, with the safe probably dropping down to the dirt cellar floor where I'm sure the local FD would eventually save it. I seriously doubt a fire would last pasted 20min and it sure wouldn't be extraordinarily hot where the safe might be. Anything in it would undoubtedly suffer more damage going through the floor after a collapse than a fire.

So I don't have to start a thread called "How to remove 4300 lb safe from pallet."
wink.gif

I have a cheep Stack-On cabinet, not a safe...to comply with the law requiring that firearms be secured.
Then again, I don't have $30,000 in firearms, either...

Seems to me, that a thief would need knowledge that (1) you have a hard safe, and (2) know what's in it, and (3) want what's in it to come to your home (or place of business) prepared to crack a safe.

For "casual" gun enthusiasts, what run-of-the-mill B&E thief is gonna know you even have a safe in the house, much less be prepared to break into it?

Now, if it's common knowledge to a lot of people that you've got a huge and valuable gun collection at your home- and people talk to other people, who talk to other people...it would make sense to have the biggest, baddest safe you can buy because that knowledge makes you a target.