• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why I stay fit.... with Cross Fit

RayDog

Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2001
Fort Collins, CO
As many of you know there is a pretty bad ass fire going here in Fort Collins CO.
We worked very hard for hours at 7300' cutting, pulling and pushing trees to make a fire brake to try and save my best friends place. We worked way past when they came to tell us to evacuate only stopping due to the dark and huge flames closing in. . When we were finally pulling out 300' flames were pretty dam close.
My point...working out and staying fit for me and my friend is what gave us a fighting chance. We cleared about 300 trees on steep terrain at 7300' and 97 degrees with smoke filled air. I think I'm more fit than most folks that work out. I think every Cross Fit class I went to in the past year and half since joining did nothing but help. The 20" chainsaw got heavy after about 5 hours but we kept
going at an amazing pace I think. I don't think just going to a gym and getting on a tread mill or lifting to follow some strength program would have helped so much. I've seen a lot of negative posts regarding CF. I gotta tell ya times like this will separate the strong from the weak. My gym has a simple motto
Strong people are generally more useful and harder to kill. I don't know if our effort saved his home but at least we were able to go really hard for 7-8 hours in adverse conditions and try. By far the hardest workout I've had in a long time.

I wish all affected by this fire well.

Re: Why I stay fit.... with Cross Fit

Nice Job Ray,

We were at Maxwell Falls in Evergreen and coming home could see the smoke from 70 as soon as dropped down into Golden. Pretty bad up there...

I agree, crossfit provides a lot of functional strength combined with cardio. I used to make my living working on a type one fire crew running a saw, so I know what you were going through. Do that all day, combined with some good hiking for two weeks eating loads of MRE's and you'll have an idea of what some of these guys will be doing all summer. In the off season I would lift, do crossfit or similar workouts, and run to stay in shape.

Glad you made it out and I hope the damage is minimal. With the current conditions and resources being spread thin it's going to be a real challenge to catch that fire.

I have been doing Cross Fit since December. I never ran for more than two and a half miles at a time since then. Last weekend I did a 10K, with a 42lb pack, and I ran the last half of it. At the finish line the other participants were tired and sore. I dropped the pack and walked for another nine hours. I am now convinced that The CF high-intensity short duration workouts have an endurance benefit, and I am looking forward to the 24-hour match.

PS - I hope they get the fire(s) under control.

The front range is on fire now. You can see flames from all over town in the foothills. I hope roofs don't start to catch here in town from embers. I think it's going to be a late night

I just got a call from my friend. He left my house at 4PM and hiked back up to his property around the roadblocks while I was out or I would have went with him. His wife is pissed at him but he had to know he said. . He just called me at 11PM to tell me that every tree on his 80 acres is gone but the structures all made it without damage. The brake worked!!!
His wife and 3 year old are here at my house now and she is so happy.
A bunch of hard work and a lot of luck paid off. I'm so happy for them.
I know many others aren't so lucky.

I'm happy to hear that you were able to help your friend out. I'm sorry to hear about so many folks who are waking up to burned property.

Ray, now that is truely worth all the hard work in the crossfit gym! Its good to hear you friend has a home to take his family back to. Something to look back on and truely to be proud of!

Nicely done! I've been Crossfitting for 10 months. It works for me. Much of the negativity towards CF is thinly veiled jealousy. Best of luck to you and your friends on the front range. Beetle kill and a hot, dry summer portend some serious fires in the Rockies. Take care, Ed.

When I still worked in lower Manhattan I met a few smoke jumpers and wilderness ff's one day, and we were bullshitting about each others work and such, and I remember them telling me how crazy WE were because we go into enclosed buildings that are on fire. Having hiked a few times with little gear for significantly less time than you guys generally carry, I told them your out of your fucking minds. Anyone who accepts that their "oh shit plan" is to basically wrap themselves up like a baked potato and hope for the best has some serious cojones. You guys have my sincerest and deepest respects for what you do, and I'm glad all worked out for your friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My gym has a simple motto.
Strong people are generally more useful and harder to kill.
</div></div>

I like that motto and believe it. Being strong and fit definitely comes in to play.

You learn a lot about yourself and how far you can push yourself doing some of the Crossfit workouts. If you don't believe me, just give WOD Kalsu a shot.

Last edited:

Crossfit is an ideal workout for fitness and strength of your body . I normally does this regularly for 45 minutes a day which make my body in shape too . in addition , I also get running for some time which also helps to increase your energy level as well as your stamina . So , I would say that Crossfit is idyllic and imposing training program to make you look healthy and in shape as well .

I go CrossFit Football

I commend you for your hard work trying to save your buddies house.

Your gym stole their motto from Mark Rippetoe's "Strong Enough", but that's ok. I'm sure he won't mind.

beaten....sorry Wander, I only read the op