• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why is my Bergara shooting this bad? 😬

Anonymoose

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2020
USA
Bergara B-14 6.5CM in a KRG Bravo. 160 rounds through it as of today.

Long story short. Was consistently shooting 5rd groups 1/2moa or better with ELD-M 140 grain factory. Ran out of that ammo and got Federal American Eagle 120 grain TMJ because it wasn't Tree Fiddy per round. Now shooting 2 moa with both vertical and horizontal spread. 100yd indoor range. Sorry, forgot to take pics of the target. In the 10rd groups 3-4 rounds fall within 1/2 moa of POA. The others are all over the place. I've noticed that about 50% of the rounds have more resistance when chambering.

I switched from the Dead Air Keymo brake to the Bergara ST-1 brake between switching ammo but the performance was the same today with or without the brake.

Prior to today's trip I thoroughly cleaned the bore, chamber, and crown. Retorqued everything to spec. Crown looks good under magnification.

Below is a link to a video of me shooting from today's trip. Slowed down for analysis. Constructive feedback welcomed. Shooting Video

Can ammo be this bad or can my rifle not like a certain ammo this much? Are my fundamentals way off? Could it be a broken scope? Is there a way to test the scope?

Ammo can definitely make that much difference, both with regards to the quality of the ammo and the suitability of the combination of your barrel and a certain kind of cartridge.

147 gr ELDMs shoot half moa in my Seekins Havak and S&B 140s shoot 1.5-2 moa same day. Cheap is cheap. Use em for practice and save the eldms for comps or whatever.

Reactions: Anonymoose
could def be just the ammo especially if other ammo has proven to shoot

not what i would pick for anything but AR10 plinking

i'd think it would be in the 1-1.5moa range but hard to say

I shot 10 rounds of that crap and gave the other 10 rounds to a friend of mine who had a semi-auto. About the same outcome as you had. Don't expect squat from cheap ammo. Keep the rest for plinking or fouling.

Sounds like an ammo problem. Its quite a difference between the 2 you mentioned. I'd be more concerned if the ammo change was less drastic

Thanks everyone. This is reassuring news. I'm going to pick up some Unknown Munitions stuff when it comes available again to see how she does.

Agreed, definitely the garbage ammo. Another thing you need to do it clean the chamber with a dry shotgun bore mop or something similar. You don't want any oil/cleaner residue in the chamber.

Agreed, definitely the garbage ammo. Another thing you need to do it clean the chamber with a dry shotgun bore mop or something similar. You don't want any oil/cleaner residue in the chamber.
Yep, have done this as well.

I do now notice my follow through sucks on many of these shots. Something I'm normally diligent about. I'll have to video myself more often.