• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why so many GAP Rifle's for sale

M

milo 2.0

I'm looking into a new build, and a GAP rifle is what I'm thinking.
My question is, why are there so many for sale in the for sale ads? I'm thinking people get caught up in the hype, then realize they've overbought. Or people buy them cheaper from someone, and then try to turn a profit. By brand name, the pct seems high.

Please, anyone who's sold one, or is selling one, let me know why. I can't see it being a qaulity issue, honestly I'm just baffled.

Before someone jumps down my throat, I've had 7 custom's built, my last 3 this year were by Chad Dixon, and I love them, and would recommend his work to anyone. I just want to try something different. I'm not ruling out a Bighorn action, and a Beanland build either.

Anyway, any insight would help.

Re: Why so many GAP Rifle's for sale

1. GAP builds a lot of rifles.

2. Us "rifle folk" tend to get rifle attention deficit disorder, and are always wanting something new and different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. GAP builds a lot of rifles.

2. Us "rifle folk" tend to get rifle attention deficit disorder, and are always wanting something new and different. </div></div>

yes

and

yes

I don't think anyone WANTS to sell a rifle if they don't have to.

Some people may be consolidating and/or upgrading, different cartridge, etc. Another factor is many people are out of work, lost a job and the need to pay bills or feed their family exceeds the need to have a pretty rifle in the safe.

If I lost my job and it if meant paying the mortgage or having a pretty rifle, I'd have a few toys on the chopping block fairly quick.

Lots of guys get more enjoyment in the "Build" than the shooting. I know it sounds strange but I think its like guys that build custom cars and then sell them when finished to start another. ?? to each their own but thats alot of it. and as guys have already pointed out, We build alot of rifles. aprox 1700 a year so there are alot more of our rifles out there to sell.
smile.gif

I suspect this site represents the entire GAP aftermarket. I'm not sure where else you'd go to sell one where the audience would know its worth.

Many people think that the Rifle or Equipment is the cure. Then they find out they shoot no better with a $3000 Gap or other Gunsmith de jour than the 400$ Savage they had to begin with.

You say percentage seems high. If GAP occupies the largest percentage of the custom market, then they should also occupy the largest percentage of the custom resale market. Make sense?

Ok, I'm getting my insight. Had no idea, 1700 rifles a year out of one shop!!! Holy shit.

I don't get the thrill of the build though, that period is terrible.
If you pay $2700.00 & up, you need to at least shoot the barrel out, IMHO. Then sell at reduced rate.

Anyway, I think the shear numbers answered my question, higher pct of the market, Thanks.

Part of the build is the exciting part, that and peoples needs changes. I've never seen someone sell a GAP because it was not a good accurate rifle.

I did not sell mine, because I did not like it that's for sure. I really wish i still had it!

Got a GAP Gladius and GAP-10 that I love, and a couple Sako's SS varmint rifles in 260 REM and 22-250 that were half the price. All of them shoot lights out, so go figure. Pick your poison I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In2b8u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many people think that the Rifle or Equipment is the cure. Then they find out they shoot no better with a $3000 Gap or other Gunsmith de jour than the 400$ Savage they had to begin with. </div></div>

There is a reason why someone would pay $3000 for a custom rifle with a custom barrel over a $400 Savage. If you shot many competitions, you'd understand the difference.

I'd bet serious money that you won't see a barrel straighting device at GAP or other premier builders. But you will see one at Savage! No joke. They have a guy that places a barrel in a manual press that takes the bend out of a barrel and "eyeballs" it for straightness. I respectfully disagree with your opinion if you think a Savage compares in quality to an action that has been trued, custom cut rifled barrel properly chambered, & glassbedded in a beautiful adjustable stock.

You may have a Savage that sits in a molded piece of plastic that shoots good, but you won't see too many competitors in the winners circle shooting a Savage at many competitions...there's a reason for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. GAP builds a lot of rifles.

2. Us "rifle folk" tend to get rifle attention deficit disorder, and are always wanting something new and different. </div></div>

yup

and

selling my 300WSM right now to build another Non Typical in a different caliber... sick, sick, sick !! LMAO
crazy.gif

Hey, I recieved the answer I was looking for.

Let's stick a fork in this and call it done.
I kinda like a shit storm too, but let's not use this GAP thread for one.
Thanks

Animal,
I agree, you missed the point. Many people will not come to terms that marksmanship skills that are lacking, can't be made up with a custom GAP or other Rifle.
At the end of the day, their skill set is the same regardless of what rifle they may be driving.

I'm doing the exact same thing as Sendero, just wish I was more patient. This wait is going to kill me, it's already been two long weeks, only 8 more months to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In2b8u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Animal,
I agree, you missed the point. Many people will not come to terms that marksmanship skills that are lacking, can't be made up with a custom GAP or other Rifle.
At the end of the day, their skill set is the same regardless of what rifle they may be driving. </div></div>

Got it...missed the point. I thought you were comparing a Salvage to a custom build. LOL. My apologies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. GAP builds a lot of rifles.

yup

and

selling my 300WSM right now to build another Non Typical in a different caliber... sick, sick, sick !! LMAO
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Serial #3 for you.......#2 for.............me!

I sold a GAP this year. The reason? I bought an A/W Stiller Action in the group buy and I also wanted to buy an Accuracy International. I also wanted to upgrade glass. I could only afford so much and could only shoot one rifle at a time anyway. So the GAP went.

Economy is f***ed is most likely main reason.

I ain't selling mine no matter how insane it gets out there.

Cap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In2b8u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many people think that the Rifle or Equipment is the cure. Then they find out they shoot no better with a $3000 Gap or other Gunsmith de jour than the 400$ Savage they had to begin with. </div></div>

There is a reason why someone would pay $3000 for a custom rifle with a custom barrel over a $400 Savage. If you shot many competitions, you'd understand the difference.

I'd bet serious money that you won't see a barrel straighting device at GAP or other premier builders. But you will see one at Savage! No joke. They have a guy that places a barrel in a manual press that takes the bend out of a barrel and "eyeballs" it for straightness. I respectfully disagree with your opinion if you think a Savage compares in quality to an action that has been trued, custom cut rifled barrel properly chambered, & glassbedded in a beautiful adjustable stock.

You may have a Savage that sits in a molded piece of plastic that shoots good, but you won't see too many competitors in the winners circle shooting a Savage at many competitions...there's a reason for that. </div></div>

Instead of deleting my whole post I'll edit it saying I was misinformed and thought the post I quoted was saying all Savage actions and he meant a $400.00 factory gun. My bad.

Topstrap

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Maybe it's different out there on the coast but I beg to differ at least at the matches we shoot. Yes I'm sure GAP makes a very fine rifle along with a lot of other gun makers. One of our shooters has won ASC and placed second twice and another holds a World Bench Rest record for 1000 yards and we also have a LOT of custom built rifles from GAP, Kelbly and others and no they do not run away with the wins. The top seven of 10 place finishers for this years season used a Savage action with high end barrels, bottom metals, mounts, stocks and scopes.

The Savage action might not have the feel and smoothness of a custom but when it's closed and locked up they do what they are designed for and will shoot right with the customs. Not saying this to get a pissing contest going on cheap actions vs high end customs but when a particular action type holds the highest scores at these matches even against the big dollar customs then it's hard to say they aren't any good.

Back to the original question about why so many GAP rifles for sale, I think it's just a swing in our economy where some folks are laid off, or worried about their families future and might wish to unload some extras to fund other things. With that many rifles being sold there are naturally always gonna be a turnover rate that is higher than a custom builder that only builds a few each year.

I've heard nothing but good about GAP equipment from everyone that owns one we shoot with. I think everyone that is looking to buy a new gun or have one built should visit a few matches of the type they are wanting to participate in and see what is winning weekly. Those are the guns I want to use no matter if it's built on a lowly Savage action or one of the high end customs, if it's winning, then there is a reason the better shooters are using them.</span>

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In2b8u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many people think that the Rifle or Equipment is the cure. Then they find out they shoot no better with a $3000 Gap or other Gunsmith de jour than the 400$ Savage they had to begin with. </div></div>

You may have a Savage that sits in a molded piece of plastic that shoots good, but you won't see too many competitors in the winners circle shooting a Savage at many competitions...there's a reason for that. </div></div>

Maybe it's different out there on the coast but I beg to differ at least at the matches we shoot. Yes I'm sure GAP makes a very fine rifle along with a lot of other gun makers. One of our shooters has won ASC and placed second twice and another holds a World Bench Rest record for 1000 yards and we also have a LOT of custom built rifles from GAP, Kelbly and others and no they do not run away with the wins. The top seven of 10 place finishers for this years season used a Savage action with high end barrels, bottom metals, mounts, stocks and scopes.

The Savage action might not have the feel and smoothness of a custom but when it's closed and locked up they do what they are designed for and will shoot right with the customs. Not saying this to get a pissing contest going on cheap actions vs high end customs but when a particular action type holds the highest scores at these matches even against the big dollar customs then it's hard to say they aren't any good.

Back to the original question about why so many GAP rifles for sale, I think it's just a swing in our economy where some folks are laid off, or worried about their families future and might wish to unload some extras to fund other things. With that many rifles being sold there are naturally always gonna be a turnover rate that is higher than a custom builder that only builds a few each year.

I've heard nothing but good about GAP equipment from everyone that owns one we shoot with. I think everyone that is looking to buy a new gun or have one built should visit a few matches of the type they are wanting to participate in and see what is winning weekly. Those are the guns I want to use no matter if it's built on a lowly Savage action or one of the high end customs, if it's winning, then there is a reason the better shooters are using them.

Topstrap </div></div>

Topstrap, I agree that a savage action can make the footprint to a very accurate rifle, but The Animal was specifically talking about the comparison to a $400 Savage (Factory Rifle) not a built and tuned Savage. Big difference there!!

A custom barrel, bottom metal, stock, etc and it ceases to be a "$400 Savage".

Yes it does cease to be a $400.00 Savage but on the threads the general consensus has been to bad mouth the Savage actions. They are still stock just using the same aftermarket parts available to everyone else and usually assembled by the owners.

Been a lot of threads defending these sloppy cheap actions so I guess my post was not timely and needed per this thread. I'll refer to them as semi-customs from now on and not compare them to the $400.00 factory guns.

Thanks

Topstrap

With me I want one of everything but I can not afford one of everything. Therefore I buy and sell to try different firearms, not because I don't enjoy them or quality but just want something different.

Anyone else have the "holy fuck" reaction to George's post saying GAP builds ~1700 rifles/year?

Holy Fuck!

I would agree with George - Nashlaw has several GAP rifles currently and has sold several as well, and it's table talk for us to Spec out rifle builds, and toss around ideas on contours, lengths, bottom metal, caliber, etc., down to the color, twist rate, bullets intended to use , ad nauseum

Nashlaw even will jokingly ask me, 'how do you want your next rifle that I am having built spec'd out', cause he sells them after the build is over , lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else have the "holy fuck" reaction to George's post saying GAP builds ~1700 rifles/year?

Holy Fuck! </div></div>

One day, one of those 1,700 rifles per year will be owned by me
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of guys get more enjoyment in the "Build" than the shooting. I know it sounds strange but I think its like guys that build custom cars and then sell them when finished to start another. ?? to each their own but thats alot of it. and as guys have already pointed out, We build alot of rifles. aprox 1700 a year so there are alot more of our rifles out there to sell.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Perfect way to explain it. My main hobby is remote controlled helicopters/planes. I get more pleasure in building them than I do flying them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else have the "holy fuck" reaction to George's post saying GAP builds ~1700 rifles/year?

Holy Fuck! </div></div>

I kinda did 20 posts earlier!

Confusious once say, viritually no other firearm holds the resale value a gap does, so if in hard economical bind sell off what nets the most

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of guys get more enjoyment in the "Build" than the shooting. I know it sounds strange but I think its like guys that build custom cars and then sell them when finished to start another. ?? </div></div>

Agreed. While i don't sell my rifles, to some degree the excitement is planning a build and getting it finished. Though i do enjoy shooting mine as well. Same goes for my computers plan a build watch it all come together. I do have a friend that has gone through 7-8 rifles in the last two months alone. Baffles me.

I'd sell mine too if I owned one... Just sayin...

What exactly are you implying?

GAP puts out some outstanding rifles. They have always served me well. When I sell one it's usually cause I have another just like it in caliber, I pick the one that fits me best and keep it.

What exactly are you implying?

GAP puts out some outstanding rifles. They have always served me well. When I sell one it's usually cause I have another just like it in caliber, I pick the one that fits me best and keep it.

Looks like he's a true Gradous fan, nothing wrong with that. Some favor Tac Ops, other AI. For some, they only stick to a certain brand. For the rest of us, we like to have variety.

Often the guys on 24hourcampfire will post the GAP rifle for sale on the classifieds there as well.

Good resale value and high market share are the reasons you see so many GA Precision rifles for sale here. Especially after their wives find out how much they spent. ;)

I'll stick with George and crew....

I second this. Also keep in mind that for some people they only way they can afford their next GAP is to sell their current one. This lets someone else get the joy of owning a GAP at a lower cost and gets a new GAP out of the shop. I am very happy to see GAPs sell in the classifieds. One should only be worried if they never sold. A low round count GAP never lasts more than a week. If not just a few days.

If they weren't so expensive(they are worth it) I would probably have a second one by now, but I'm balling on a budget so in due time.