• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why Spend $3k on Schmidt & Bender

bassani

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Mandeville, LA
I've edited the title for those out there who have a nervous tick after reading my original post.

I'm looking for people that OWN one and have owned other scopes and can honestly with some true perspective shed some light on this company's product.

So, take a valium and skip the post if you are personally offended by this post.

Re: Schmidt & Bender

You about to get raped!

twilight-blade-twilight-series-7218.jpg

Seriously? At least post a question. Are you actually serious about purchasing a 3k optic, and want some feedback, or are you wishing you had a Chinese copy to put on your AI airsoft super secret snipery rifle? I suggest you edit the original post to reflect some sort of actual thought if you want a serious response.

ok..let me clarify
I'm quite sure that in the extensive lifetime of this site there has been a few posts on schmidt & bender scopes.

However, on searching (which i did BEFORE posting this), there was 20 + posts that came up with schmidt & bender ....all done TODAY...and none of which actually covered the positives and negatives or even general information in the title.

So for those site regulars who have seen this type of post and likely have posted on it, can you help me narrow down my search. Hell, if its not too much trouble, look in your "my posts" section and get a link.

Positives: everything you care about in a 1500+ yard scope. With it's 34mm tube and 56mm objective you get the brightest 25x image amongst the top sniper scopes. 26MIL elevation capability with the right base, which in a 338LM gets you comfortably out to 2000+ yards. Elev turret is nice in that it doesn't use the Leupold tree concept (which always slows us down when dialing in elevation past the first turn) and has specific readings from 0 to 27MILs.

Negatives: Price... it's pretty much $3K used or new. Needs lots of elevation due to offset reticle, so you may need to also purchase a Spuhr or Near mount to properly mount this scope.

Why spend $3k on a S&B? Because you can!

I myself think a $150 Bushnell fixed 10x with Mildot reticle and MOA knobs is good enough to consistently make hits. But scopes are like women's purses, for slight improvements, and a cool label, you pay exponentially! Everyone likes labels and wants to be cool right? Well a cool name helps you to be cool.

I guess I am getting to be women like now, not quite LV/S&B level but close. I have ACOGs (3) and Nightforces (2), and plan to get 2 more NF's. All my future builds will quality glass because I like pretty labels.

I do not mean to be flip, but looking through one explained the price to me without any confusion.

cali

I'm guessing that this is the scope you are referring to

5-25 x 56 Police Marksman II LP

Thanks for that info...i have read that you can often see the mirage effect with S & B.

Has anyone out there bought/used one of their other lines of scopes? Does the lens brightness and clarity maintain with the other scopes?

You can very clearly see mirage, all too well. It frequently obscures the target sharpness in fact at high magnification. But if you can convert mirage image to wind readings, then it's all goodness. Yes that is the model I own. I have not used or looked thru any other model than the 5-25 PMII. I have read that the 4-16 is the best that S&B makes though.

To answer the question in your topic line #1 to my eyes best out there with great features , # 2 because I can. As far as search you will find if you google. ' S&B snipers hide' you will get a boat load of info. For some reason search engine here not the greatest.

Re: Why Spend $3k on Schmidt & Bender

I only own one and it is not my favorite scope but to answer your question I think it comes down to reliability. The S&B line of scopes has competed world wide for military contracts and is the dominant provider of mil grade glass. The scope is rugged, functional and most important very reliable.

While I don't think they have the best glass(Hensoldt), they are in the conversation and by all accounts their lens coatings are long lived and top notch.

Many people think that there turret design is also extremely logical in terms of layout and very well put together.

I honestly can't think of a real negative to the scope I own or the others that I have looked at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why spend $3k on a S&B? Because you can!

I myself think a $150 Bushnell fixed 10x with Mildot reticle and MOA knobs is good enough to consistently make hits. But scopes are like women's purses, for slight improvements, and a cool label, you pay exponentially! Everyone likes labels and wants to be cool right? Well a cool name helps you to be cool.

I guess I am getting to be women like now, not quite LV/S&B level but close. I have ACOGs (3) and Nightforces (2), and plan to get 2 more NF's. All my future builds will quality glass because I like pretty labels. </div></div>

Eh, I'd say the first comparison is a bit like saying a Ferrari isn't much different than a Ford.
Both will, for the most part, get you from point A to B but there is no doubt the Ferrari is a much better place to be and in my opinion worth the extra cost.
You only live once; and if you can manage to get the finer things in life I see no reason not to.
That's just me though.

S&B scopes, well no one just goes out to buy one.. they have to work their way up to it. If you are in this game long enough you will eventually get one. Everyone I talked to who has owned an S&B do not regret one bit buying one.

The same individual scope looks different through everyone's eyes. Everyone see's colors different, shades different, and clarity differently.

If you are old and have horrible eyes, you will notice the difference in clarity much more.

However, the good scopes are much more than just good glass. They track more consistently, have more consistent reticles (as far as scaling goes) and they keep their zero even through thousands and thousands of clicks. Most people don't even use the knobs on their scopes, so they have no need for consistent tracking and reliability.

Customer Service is also very important to me, and I have heard great things about NF CS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allwheeldriven</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why spend $3k on a S&B? Because you can!

I guess I am getting to be women like now, not quite LV/S&B level but close. I have ACOGs (3) and Nightforces (2), and plan to get 2 more NF's. All my future builds will quality glass because I like pretty labels. </div></div>

Eh, I'd say the first comparison is a bit like saying a Ferrari isn't much different than a Ford.
Both will, for the most part, get you from point A to B but there is no doubt the Ferrari is a much better place to be and in my opinion worth the extra cost.
You only live once; and if you can manage to get the finer things in life I see no reason not to.
That's just me though.
</div></div>

No arguments there! A Ferrari is a much better hunk of metal than a Ford.

I don't "need" a Ferrari, just like I don't need a S&B or Angelina Jolie sitting on my face, but if I had the chance to get any of the 3, I would do it.

Reactions: stintedAIR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allwheeldriven</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why spend $3k on a S&B? Because you can!

That's just me though.
</div></div>

No arguments there! A Ferrari is a much better hunk of metal than a Ford.

I don't "need" a Ferrari, just like I don't need a S&B or Angelina Jolie sitting on my face, but if I had the chance to get any of the 3, I would do it. </div></div>I just got an image of Angelina sitting on Eric and him coughing and complaining about sand.

Reactions: stintedAIR

To answer the question in your topic line #1 to my eyes best out there with great features , # 2 because I can. As far as search you will find if you google. ' S&B snipers hide' you will get a boat load of info. For some reason search engine here not the greatest.

Q: Why spend $3K on Schmidt & Bender?

A: Because if you want one that's how much they cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rugrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not mean to be flip, but looking through one explained the price to me without any confusion.</div></div>

What he said.

If you have the money, buy one. If you don't have the money, buy a Nightforce. That's my recommendation, and I tell people that all the time. I personally own a S&B 5-25 PMII w/ the H2CMR reticle and love it. So much in fact, I will not purchase any other scope for my competition rifle because I love the reticle so much. However, if you can't quite afford a S&B I highly recommend the Nightforce, and you can pick whatever options you want/need.

Because they are the shit
wink.gif

Have owned more than a few S&Bs as well as Premiers, Vortex, USO, NF, Hendsolt and Leupold. Waiting for a 3-20x to round out the pack.

P6300191.jpg

Question: Why spend $3,000 on a Schmidt & Bender?

Answer: Beecause there isn't a $3,000 NightForce NXS available; at least, not yet.
wink.gif

The quality of the glass itself has to do with how transparent your eye interprets the hues of color. lower end glass has basically more glasss. In the higher end scopes the glass is actually a form of crytal if i am not mistaken. German and the higher end japan made glass will have a lower content of glass and more crystal.

quality of glass also has to do with amount (less is better of course) aberration, and the MTF is better... see this now that wikipedia is online. Too techy for me, but worth a scan to get the flavor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_resolution

ALso don't get hung up on well S&B uses Hensholdt glass, so all scopes that use Hensholdt glass are the same. Not true at all. The glass quality is one thing, but the lens design itself is totally proprietary and the result of lots of black magic, intuition and iterative design cycles. It's usually not even done by the optics solution provider like S&B but by special consultants who are ancient gurus in optical engineering.

3K will get you a used S&B. If you want new there more then 3K now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3K will get you a used S&B. If you want new there more then 3K now </div></div>

+1 the days of the $3K new S&B are limited to dealer stock on hand and paid for before 11/1/11. All new 2012 orders are substantially higher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because they are the shit
wink.gif

Have owned more than a few S&Bs as well as Premiers, Vortex, USO, NF, Hendsolt and Leupold. Waiting for a 3-20x to round out the pack.

P6300191.jpg
</div></div>

Which S&B is on the 1st/closes rifle?

I've had one of just about everything, and shot with a Schmidt and Bender next to just about everything else, side by side at the same target at the same time, and I am confident NOTHING compares in clarity. I have a Nightforce on my DTA and a Pm2 5-25 on my AIAX, and while the Nightforce is certainly serviceable, the S&B beats it in contrast, in resolution, in reticle, in the fact it is FFP, and in its turrets. And that is when compared to an almost $2000 scope.

Do you need it? Nope. If you can afford it, is it worth it? Absolutely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Which S&B is on the 1st/closes rifle?</div></div>

They are all 5-25x56. First one has a sunshade on it.

Rob01,

Rifles look great but why the fucked up ring spacing on the scopes - they don't look pretty!!

I have OCD & that ring spacing would drive me to shock treatments!! LOL!!

Because they have an illumination knob towards the rear you can't see it from the angle

Something tells me Rob's a "performance over pretty" kind of dude
smile.gif

I probably spent $5K on optics before I finally bought my $3K S&B scope. The good news is that I probably only lost 10% or so on the $5K of optics that I had to go through before I realized the value of a S&B. Function, clarity of glass, warranty, finish, durability are the obvious reasons why it is money well spent.

Most has already been said, look through one, shoot with one and you'll realize why. If you can afford it then go for it.

I have (3) S&B's One 4-16 PMII and (2) 5-25's they're all great. I can read the mirage for wind even with the 4-16 albeit a little more difficult due to the lower mag range.

I've used NF prior (F1 and 5.5-22) which is also a great scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You about to get raped!

twilight-blade-twilight-series-7218.jpg
</div></div>

Yo, man, Wesley been in prison, that shit ain't funny!

laugh.gif

I've got a nighforce and I'm gonna switch to a S&B. I love my nightforce but that 25 power magnification is talking to me
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jmilera</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because they have an illumination knob towards the rear you can't see it from the angle </div></div>

002-2.jpg

This is the widest ring gap you can get with a 5-25...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jmilera</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because they have an illumination knob towards the rear you can't see it from the angle </div></div>

002-2.jpg

This is the widest ring gap you can get with a 5-25... </div></div>

And that is more than enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously? At least post a question. Are you actually serious about purchasing a 3k optic, and want some feedback, or are you wishing you had a Chinese copy to put on your AI airsoft super secret snipery rifle? I suggest you edit the original post to reflect some sort of actual thought if you want a serious response. </div></div>

Didn't wipe the sand out that day...did you meany

Spending the money on a SB will, in 99% of cases, take care of 99% of the potential problems you may have with a scope.

Therefore a SB is worth it to some people. But it's not worth it to other people.

You shouldn't get one simply because someone else thinks it's worth it. If you have to ask, then maybe you don't want one that badly.

It is never a question of need.

Tell you what. Here is a test for you. Take a S&B PM II scope and your scope shooting at dusk. Keep shooting at your target until total darkness and see which one you can shoot longer the rifle with your scope or the rifle with the Schmidt & Bender. My money is on the schmidt.

Johnny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why buy a S&B? Why buy a ferrari? Because you can. </div></div>

No because they are fun to use or because they are the best tool for the job.

If you buy stuff just cause you can that's kind of odd and you will probably run out of money soon.

Why buy a S&B?

... WHY are you asking the question?
If you have concerns you need to state your concerns other than a general skepticism.

.... also you need to provide the Valium in your offer for advice.
wink.gif